Jump to content
Steel Shank

Favorite Memory From Childhood

Recommended Posts

Brisket's story about his mom letting him stay in a fishing cabin alone for three days at the age of 9 gave me this idea (on the "Hey, Steel Shank" thread). What was your favorite or most profound memory (positive) from your childhood. Giving this some thought, it's hard to say what was "most", so maybe pick one or two. 

One of my favorites was me and my sister standing in the front seat of my Dad's Thunderbird blasting at high speeds down a dirt road on the South Plains while he sang Bill Withers. The windows were down and we were hollering and laughing and he was enjoying the moment too.

What makes you smile looking back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brisket's story about his mom letting him stay in a fishing cabin alone for three days at the age of 9 gave me this idea (on the "Hey, Steel Shank" thread). What was your favorite or most profound memory (positive) from your childhood. Giving this some thought, it's hard to say what was "most", so maybe pick one or two. 
One of my favorites was me and my sister standing in the front seat of my Dad's Thunderbird blasting at high speeds down a dirt road on the South Plains while he sang Bill Withers. The windows were down and we were hollering and laughing and he was enjoying the moment too.
What makes you smile looking back?

1st time I got drunk was The Summer between 8th grade and Freshman year (1997). My Dad, Mom and sister had already moved from Taylor to Frisco and I got to stay in Taylor for the Summer with my grandparents to play all-star baseball. Grandparents gave me no curfew or any boundaries so I did whatever the hell I wanted. Buddy of mine lived on a farm in Circleville right on the San Gabriel. We camped on a gravel bar about 10 feet from the river and I drank probably 6-7 bud lights. I was so hammered my buddies were putting cigarettes out on my legs and I couldn’t feel it. I had little circles on my legs for weeks.

I’d go back to that time every day if I could.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread.  I was around 8 and have a younger sister.  My Grandpa just showed up at our house in Ft. Worth during the summer and asked my Mom if he could take us on a day trip.  She practically strapped us in the car.

He drove us to Johnson City to the LBJ ranch.  We stopped at some hill country spot along the way and I had CFS (white gravy with extra pepper) for the first time with a real coke. Whenever I hear "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" it brings up the memory.  According to the tour it was LBJ's favorite song.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say summer trout fishing trips to Colorado. Stayed in cabins, rode horses, and hit the trout hard. Brought most of our food in a trailer, no tv, no radio, etc. Thought to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The morning I woke up in bed on stomach with greasy tighty whities after erotic dream of friend’s mom. I thought I had sharted Jello from my wiener. I was confused yet satisfied at same time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I’d say summer trout fishing trips to Colorado. Stayed in cabins, rode horses, and hit the trout hard. Brought most of our food in a trailer, no tv, no radio, etc. Thought to beat.

Are you my sock?

We purchased food to cook in the cabin and sometimes ate out but otherwise.... 

You sure you aren't my sock?

Edited by BurntEyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dad ran a Chevy with a camper shell. Put the tube between the cab and shell, opened up the split window for air to the rear. Us kids rode on a piece of plywood running across the bed with a piece of foam and sheet on top. Homemade trailer at the rear carried food and fishing equipment. Left DFW early while still dark. Stopped at the Best Western in Trinidad on day 1, drove into Gunnison forest the next morning.

Edited by LW Goatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dad was a long haul trucker. Summer of '67 I got to ride with him. Went from Texas to Maine to Florida to California and back to Texas. Got to swim in 2 oceans, cross massive bridges on the East Coast, see New York City traffic, cross the Mississippi and Colorado Rivers, the Continental Divide and the Mojave Desert. This was old school before the interstate system was completed and you still went thru most towns. 1st day of school was kind of a letdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

Dad ran a Chevy with a camper shell. Put the tube between the cab and shell, opened up the split window for air to the rear. Us kids rode on a piece of plywood running across the bed with a piece of foam and sheet on top. Homemade trailer at the rear carried food and fishing equipment. Left DFW early while still dark. Stopped at the Best Western in Trinidad on day 1, drove into Gunnison forest the next morning.

tenor.gif.369b26dba517a4c7dc75ddebd2b09772.gif

Did you fish the Taylor? 

If so, that fucking proves it. You are my damn sock. Jack ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my best friend from elementary school would give me a ride on the handle bar of his bmx bike to and from school. back then we had to walk to school you fucking millennial pussies, but i digress. one time coming home from school, i was pedaling while he was sitting on the handle bar. i thought it would be funny to sneak off the bike and let it ghost ride with him on the handle bar. he and the bike crashed into a light pole. one of the funniest things i've ever witnessed. he laughed so hard he pissed his pants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

my best friend from elementary school would give me a ride on the handle bar of his bmx bike to and from school. back then we had to walk to school you fucking millennial pussies, but i digress. one time coming home from school, i was pedaling while he was sitting on the handle bar. i thought it would be funny to sneak off the bike and let it ghost ride with him on the handle bar. he and the bike crashed into a light pole. one of the funniest things i've ever witnessed. he laughed so hard he pissed his pants.

 

Username... PERFECT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riding with my grandfather in his t100 to go to Ace. Then we'd head out to Little Fossil Creek, or go shoot bbs at turtles or floating cans to make them sink. We'd also listen to Sneaky Snake a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riding with my grandfather in his t100 to go to Ace. Then we'd head out to Little Fossil Creek, or go shoot bbs at turtles or floating cans to make them sink. We'd also listen to Sneaky Snake a lot.
 

Love Tom T and love Sneaky Snake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some time around 1968-70 I took a trip with my grandfather from Austin to Marfa.  He was a geologist with the USGS in Austin and they were having some kind of geologist conference at the Hotel Paisano.*  I lived in Corpus at the time and was completely blown away by the Chisos mountains.  The most amazing thing to me was a big bridge we saw as we came into a giant canyon.  In later years I tried to find this place but was never successful.  I always assumed -- incorrectly -- that it was on I-10, which wasn't even completed back then or thereabouts.  Then one year I happened to be driving on US90, and bang: there it was:

6e1c0ae5aa6a0ce98acf5c94e52fdff7-800.jpg

Later that evening, about halfway through the dinner he tried to get me to stay with some of his friends who lived in the area who had boys my age, but I wasn't having any of that.  A few years ago I thought about it and figured he might have had his eye on one of the females at the party (or not at the party) and wanted to get rid of me for the evening.  I might have been grandma's unknowing spy.  I'm 60 years old now and TBH, grandma was a bit of a shrew and if that's he was looking for, or even just a good ol' bender with his buddies, I'm sorry for blowing it for him.  I think that was the first time I ever hear the word "margarita."  

*At the end of February I came back to Texas for my first visit since the Baylor game of 2016 and drove to Marfa.  Tried to find that banquet room at the hotel per my memory but couldn't.  Had a great time regardless.  Ate at the Gage Hotel in Marathon one night and had a margarita in grandpa's honor.  Good times.

Edited by Bullneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my best friend Peter decided to make a go-kart, we were bored, around 10 years old, and his dad was an architect and had plenty of scrap wood in his garage. Over a week or so we had pieced together this rudimentary kart, the steering consisted of a straight board that could pivot, the wheels fixed to either end. Came time to test it and it was determined I would be the test pilot for its maiden voyage and the hill on Possum Trot St in Austin would serve as the launching point. I'm scared as shit but acting as confident as I could muster and I get on the thing and he nudges me off. I remember it got going a lot faster than I wanted a lot faster than I expected and there's a turn at the bottom of the hill. I get towards the bottom at the turn and see a white vw bug coming straight at me and it was at this point I realize we had never even considered any sort of braking system. So I steer towards the curb on the right and dive out right as it's about to hit the curb and going flying into a patch of reeds that nicked my arms and face up pretty good. The guy in the bug stops and gets out and I'm thinking he's going to call the cops or something so I start running and find somewhere to hide and finally make my way home. Peter had seen it all from the top of the hill and took off running back home, just left me. Was scary as hell back then but looking back I'm sure the guy in the bug saw me way before I saw him and stopped and watched and then got out to see if I was ok. We went back the next day and the kart was in the same place but someone had moved it off the street. That was our first and last attempt at a kart.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, tfoolry said:

This bike

spacer.png

Holy shit, there's so much going on there . . .

Banana seat, front shock absorber, rear shock absorber, fenders, two sizes of wheels, 5 speed derailleur, drum brake on the front, caliper on the back, shift lever.  

Edited by Bullneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tfoolry said:

This bike

spacer.png

Fuck me. I had the same bike but it was yellow "Banana Bike".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just being the son of a Marine, growing up on bases like Quantico and Camp Lejeune, constantly watching helicopters flying over my neighborhood and having to stop for tank crossings on our way to the beach. A childhood I wouldn’t trade for all the money in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any family barbeque my dad hosted.  We lived in a tiny 2 bedroom cinder block house a block behind my parents grocery store and meat market.  Several times a year dad would fire up his barrel pit and cook brisket and chicken and sausage.  We always had aunts and uncles and cousins drive in from all over the state to visit and scarf down dads' primo BBQ.  We had 2 of the old coca cola metal coolers packed with Big Red and Coca Cola.  I remember the smell of mesquite smoke waking me up waaaayyy before sunrise and going out and hanging with dad while he tended the pit.

That's about 55 years in the rear view mirror, but I swear it seems like I can still smell the smoke today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Going to nasty ass Buffalo Springs Lake with my grandfather and staying at the cabin, fishing, skiing, hiking the canyons, and having a blast with my cousins. 

See also: family reunions at the Oddfellows Lodge campground in the Manzano Mountains just SE of Albuquerque.   Playing hide &seek, riding 3-wheelers( and living to tell about it!,) camping out under the stars with cousins, and helping the men cook breakfast on a long open pit, wood fired griddle.  That smell of campfire and eggs/ pancakes cooking will take me back to those times in a heartbeat.

Edit: just read Shooter's post.  same deal.

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Just being the son of a Marine, growing up on bases like Quantico and Camp Lejeune, constantly watching helicopters flying over my neighborhood and having to stop for tank crossings on our way to the beach. A childhood I wouldn’t trade for all the money in the world.

I'm almost Fiddy years old.  The little boy in me still stops and looks at any plane/helicoptor/ ship/ barges/ trains.

The sound of a single engine plane flying over somehow takes me back to being a youth, laying on the trampoline or on the grass and dreaming into the clouds and sky.  It hearkens back to a 'less worrisome' time.

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iceman said:

I'm almost Fiddy years old.  The little boy in me still stops and looks at any plane/helicoptor/ ship/ barges/ trains.

The sound of a single engine plane flying over somehow makes me thing of being a youth, laying on the trampoline or on the grass and dreaming into the clouds and sky.  It hearkens back to a 'less worrisome' time.

I thought I was the only person who would watch an airplane fly overhead.  People probably think I'm some kind of simpleton for doing it, but i find it fascinating.

Edited by Bullneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer vacation to the KOA in Freeport. Wake up, eat breakfast, go fishing or swimming or hit the game room or just whatever. All day long for a solid week. Heaven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Price range for these things now is in the $1,600 to $2,500.

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Edited by Bullneck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My first bike was very similar to this.  The rear tire was a "slick."   Always that that was so cool.  Rode the shit out of that thing...

img_8637-jpg.648881

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I thought I was the only person who would watch an airplane fly overhead.  People probably thing I'm some kind of simpleton for doing it, but i find it fascinating.

When I worked on the the docks 3 years ago. There was always  fighter jets that you could hear taking off from PDX and race across the sky and land back at PDX. I don't get to see them or hear them as often since I work further away, but I'd just stop to listen to them race across the sky doing thier flights on the Willemette River.

https://portlandmofo.com/jets-over-portland/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

tenor.gif.369b26dba517a4c7dc75ddebd2b09772.gif

Did you fish the Taylor? 

If so, that fucking proves it. You are my damn sock. Jack ass.

I'm pretty sure we all passed each other at some point in time. Vacation for my mom and dad was fishing for 10 days in Creede. At an old hunting lodge called Broadacres a  few miles west of Creede. The lake was about 20' from the cabin door, Rio Grande a few hundred yards away and stream fishing at the back of the stream fed lake. No television, no radio. Drove me crazy when I was a kid, but I would do it now in a heartbeat. Except when we did it in the 60's it was $8 a night. I checked into it a few years ago and someone from California bought it. They tore all the log cabins down, built a lodge with a to cater to the upscale anglers and charge about $500 a day to stay there and fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Iceman said:

My first bike was very similar to this.  The rear tire was a "slick."   Always that that was so cool.  Rode the shit out of that thing...

img_8637-jpg.648881

Sweet ride for imitating our 70s idol Evel Knievel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I thought I was the only person who would watch an airplane fly overhead.  People probably think I'm some kind of simpleton for doing it, but i find it fascinating.

I thought everyone did.  Was I wrong all these years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Price range for these things now is in the $1,600 to $2,500.

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Holy smokes.  I had one like that with a purple metal flake finish and a white seat.  Loved that bike and totally wore that thing out..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Grew up dirt-ass poor.  One day my parents take us to a restaurant called Po Folks in Richardson.  We NEVER got to eat out.  So, we're sitting there thinking this is the greatest day ever when they drop the bomb.  "Hurry up and finish eating.  We're headed to Six Flags."  

2) Grandfather was a lineman for SW Bell.  I spent most of one summer with him in the Hill Country.  He would drive to Wimberly, Llano, Marble Falls, etc... Sunday night and come back to Brownwood Friday evening.  We stayed in either a cabin or a trailer in one of the state parks.  He'd go to work; I'd fish, explore.  On his days off, I'd float down the Blanco river or inner tube at Canyon Lake.  

3) Not to be cheesy, but I swear one of my greatest memories was getting my acceptance letter to UT.  From about age 6, this was my goal.  Hell, I didn't even enjoy high school because my focus was the day I'd set foot on the 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I thought everyone did.  Was I wrong all these years?

No you weren't. Among my very earliest memories in life I recall being on the play ground at my preschool or day care. There was a chain link fence around it.

We were in basically the flight path for Love Field. I recall clearly watching the planes fly overhead.

In addition, there was a field by the play ground where kids road off road motorcycles. Nothing like jumps they just fucked around out there sometimes. Looking back it was probably summer time or afternoons.

Anyway, it influenced me enough that I still ride motorcycles and occasionally fly a Cessna 152/172 or Piper Cub for an hour or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

1) Grew up dirt-ass poor.  One day my parents take us to a restaurant called Po Folks in Richardson.  We NEVER got to eat out.  So, we're sitting there thinking this is the greatest day ever when they drop the bomb.  "Hurry up and finish eating.  We're headed to Six Flags."  

2) Grandfather was a lineman for SW Bell.  I spent most of one summer with him in the Hill Country.  He would drive to Wimberly, Llano, Marble Falls, etc... Sunday night and come back to Brownwood Friday evening.  We stayed in either a cabin or a trailer in one of the state parks.  He'd go to work; I'd fish, explore.  On his days off, I'd float down the Blanco river or inner tube at Canyon Lake.  

3) Not to be cheesy, but I swear one of my greatest memories was getting my acceptance letter to UT.  From about age 6, this was my goal.  Hell, I didn't even enjoy high school because my focus was the day I'd set foot on the 40.

I remember Po Folks. Not with any specific details but when I read the name and that it was in Richardson a light bulb went off.

As an adrenaline junkie even in youth, trips to Six Flags, Disney World and Knott's Berry Farm in CA were like first crack smoking high moments in my youth.

I was a junior in HS when UT accepted me. I was an arrogant little shit head and acted like, yeah, knew that shit was happening. Kept it to myself that it was magical.

Edited by BurntEyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I didn’t fish the Taylor river but I rafted down it a bunch.

God damnit, another fucking sock of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think it was the time four of us cut school jr year (‘95) and drove down to Schlitterbahn 2hrs away. We smoked, listened to music and drank on the way down. On the way and while driving we flagged down another car on I-35 with 4 hot chicks in it that went to SouthWest Texas State. We got their numbers although nothing came of it. While in the park it was amazing. I was 16, flush with cash from my first job and there with my heathen friends instead of my family for the first time. We met some insanely hot lifeguards (something came of that). We also met a group of other girls which would become our go to fuck buddies well into our 20s. It would seem that Schlitterbahn in the mid 90s was basically Tinder for under age kids and we fell ass backwards into it on one golden day. We stayed till close and we chased out of town by the fascist New Braunfels police after a store clerk refused to sell my friend cigarettes. I used my friends Motorola cell phone (gasp!) to call my house and because we didn’t have Caller-ID, I was able to lie to her and say I was at my friends house. We arrived home and grabbed a bite at Sonic where we ran into some girls we knew from school. They can back with us to my friends house and that’s the night I started dating my Highschool sweetheart.

haven't thought about that day in a long time... 

 

Edited by Doc Reeves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I remember Po Folks. Not with any specific details but when I read the name and that it was in Richardson a light bulb went off.

As an adrenaline junkie even in youth, trips to Six Flags, Disney World and Knott's Berry Farm in CA were like first crack smoking high moments in my youth.

I was a junior in HS when UT accepted me. I was an arrogant little shit head and acted like, yeah, knew that shit was happening. Kept it to myself that it was magical.

Same here.  Junior as well.  I f'd off my senior year so bad, there was a point that I worried I wouldn't get a diploma.  And by "f'd" off, I played basketball before school, 1st period, lunch, 6th period, and after school. 

The Po Folks in Richardson was just west of I-75 on Spring Valley.  It was on the right side about 1/3 of the way to Coit.  Apparently, there are still some Po Folks in the Deep South - southern Alabama, Florida panhandle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Same here.  Junior as well.  I f'd off my senior year so bad, there was a point that I worried I wouldn't get a diploma.  And by "f'd" off, I played basketball before school, 1st period, lunch, 6th period, and after school. 

The Po Folks in Richardson was just west of I-75 on Spring Valley.  It was on the right side about 1/3 of the way to Coit.  Apparently, there are still some Po Folks in the Deep South - southern Alabama, Florida panhandle.

Ha, I see you're fucking off and raise you:

I was in AP English (which I had already placed out of the test), 4th Year German, AP Anatomy.. and... Wait for it...

Work Study Program

My afternoons were spent working at a car stereo store (think late 80s) when there was work for me. (And I made mad money)

In my defense had taken Chemistry at Harvard on the Highway where my mom used to work between junior and senior year and had already tested out of first year "Math".

I nearly lost my scholly money and my mom is still pissed I never took the SAT again after my Soph year. For, more money and options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RPM said:

Fuck me. I had the same bike but it was yellow "Banana Bike".

If it was a Schwinn, it was a Lemon Peeler.

Apple Krate, Orange Krate, Lemon Peeler, Fastback (not choppered), StingRay Deluxe (5speed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come to the conclusion that there are two posters total on he Surl.

My socks and the Schwinn rider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I thought I was the only person who would watch an airplane fly overhead.  People probably think I'm some kind of simpleton for doing it, but i find it fascinating.

Gary Allan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Brisket's story about his mom letting him stay in a fishing cabin alone for three days at the age of 9 gave me this idea (on the "Hey, Steel Shank" thread). What was your favorite or most profound memory (positive) from your childhood. Giving this some thought, it's hard to say what was "most", so maybe pick one or two. 

One of my favorites was me and my sister standing in the front seat of my Dad's Thunderbird blasting at high speeds down a dirt road on the South Plains while he sang Bill Withers. The windows were down and we were hollering and laughing and he was enjoying the moment too.

What makes you smile looking back?

it would have to be that time I boned my 8th grade teacher. She was smoking hot. And before you think "gross!" I should add that my parents held me back 4 times, so I was more mature than most.

Sorry Steel Shank, I see you're trying to go legit, but this response is your legacy. Embrace it.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Getting home from road trips and pretending to be asleep so my dad could carry me inside.

2) Going on road trips. We also had a pickup with a topper shell with the plywood divider to sleep on. We would drive all over Texas and make stops in small towns to sightsee mundane shit on the way to our destinations. 

3) Garner Park. We’re from South Texas so Garner was only about 1.5 hours away. We would go about 5 times a year. We would swim, paddle boat or rope swing all day then hang out at the pavilion listening to music at night. When I became a teenager I would go with my friends and basically do the same thing but with a couple of Party Balls in tow to take it to the next level. When I was 16 I traded a Texxas Jam concert T-shirt for some ass from a 28 year old woman from Colorado. She really loved the shirt, I really loved that ass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing baseball and fishing all summer. I'd give anything to go back to those days just me and my cousin both 11 or 12 by ourselves on a boat on our uncle's lake all fucking day without a care in the world and zero adult supervision. Good times. Just a little north of Salina, KS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in 2nd and 3rd grade, we lived in Durango, and my mom was teaching at Ft. Lewis College, so in the summer, she put me in a day camp run by some of her students. "Wilson Gulch" the place was called -- two ponds to swim or canoe in, settled in a valley with the Animas river running straight through it, wild mint fields everywhere, a really cool tree fort, and oh, by the way, the counselors were a bunch of hippie freak clothing optional girls, and my mom never had a clue.

I still smile just seeing the word "Colorado".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If it was a Schwinn, it was a Lemon Peeler.

Apple Krate, Orange Krate, Lemon Peeler, Fastback (not choppered), StingRay Deluxe (5speed).

It was yellow and a 5 speed. Probably Lemon Peeler because I was thinking banana peel. It was a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Ha, I see you're fucking off and raise you:

I was in AP English (which I had already placed out of the test), 4th Year German, AP Anatomy.. and... Wait for it...

Work Study Program

My afternoons were spent working at a car stereo store (think late 80s) when there was work for me. (And I made mad money)

In my defense had taken Chemistry at Harvard on the Highway where my mom used to work between junior and senior year and had already tested out of first year "Math".

I nearly lost my scholly money and my mom is still pissed I never took the SAT again after my Soph year. For, more money and options. 

So I had realized that nobody - including my teacher - said anything about me missing a few 6th period tech classes that consisted of learning an different office machine every 6 weeks.  By March of my senior year, I just stopped going.  There was a gym at the far side of the high school that nobody every checked.  I just played bball to my heart's content.  Then, about 2 weeks before graduation, I learned that missing more than X amount of classes could be grounds for losing one's diploma.  I was terrified for a week until I saw my name on the "good" list.

 

3 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Playing baseball and fishing all summer. I'd give anything to go back to those days just me and my cousin both 11 or 12 by ourselves on a boat on our uncle's lake all fucking day without a care in the world and zero adult supervision. Good times. Just a little north of Salina, KS.

This as well.  It's odd how one's brain can retain certain memories extremely well and detailed.  I recall - circa 6th grade - heading to 7/11 on a game day, playing Super Mario Brothers for an hour, drinking a Slurpee, all while wearing my uniform for that night's game.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...