Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

12 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

BLT night.

3d13d90d28dedfd659472e599024a0b6.jpgd1cc20605de7b7394bc9e9d358ad860b.jpg24fe1d67b5a238b29863df8ae382ec0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

In my 39 years of living on this Earth, I have never had a BLT. I may have to do the deed. I always figured why not throw some turkey in that bitch but all these blts got me thinking. Yours looks nice as far as i can tell, but like I said I've never had one. As long as you enjoyed it compadre that's all that matters.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been using toasted or grilled brioche for my twice/weekly BLT’s at the house during Covid. 3-4 slices of bacon, couple pieces of romaine and 3-4 slices of Roma tomatoes. I also like to mix up my own cracked black pepper balsamic mayo (Duke’s) like they use at Corner Bakery. You can add avocado if you’re looking for a BLAT. Damn good sandy.

9 hours ago, LarTXHorn said:

Can someone enlighten me as to the proper ratios to make a good BLT. Also what kind of bacon and bread. 

Okay. This will sound strange. The tomato makes the sandwich.

You want good bread from the deli (I got sourdough from a bakery in Denton). Duke's Mayo - Don't skimp on this. Fresh crunchy romaine  and about 4-6 slices of thick cut bacon, also from the deli. Baking the bacon at 425 for about 15 minutes gets you nice flat slice. Toast the bread with some of the bacon grease on it.

But the Tomato - Try and get a heirloom tomato that feels like it's about to go bad. As in a kid should be able to easily squeeze it into tomato sauce. Put a little kosher salt on top of the sliced tomato about 5 minutes beforehand. Then a little pepper.

I also sometimes add some sort of Hot Sauce too

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, LarTXHorn said:

Can someone enlighten me as to the proper ratios to make a good BLT. Also what kind of bacon and bread. 

you want at least 4 slices of thick cut bacon.  the stuff in the meat case is usually pretty decent.  i don't get flavored bacon b/c it seems like there's a lot of sugar in the solution which makes a mess when you cook it in cast iron. 

i go with a sandwich bread but not typical bag bread - if you can get it from a bakery rather than the grocery store bakery that's even better.  i like whole leaf butter/bibb/boston lettuce on mine but what type of lettuce is up to you.  high quality mayo is a must, i'll second duke's. 

the main impediment right now is that tomatoes are out of season.  you do not want the shitty roma tomatoes that are in stores right now (you don't want roma tomatoes for a blt pretty much ever, actually, but definitely not right now).  if you have a farmer's market maybe you'll find someone selling hothouse tomatoes.  as jameslaw said, you want the tomato to be ripe. 

cook the bacon using your method of choice to desired doneness.  i crack a lot of pepper on mine.  slice/season your tomatoes as soon as the bacon goes on the heat so that the salt has plenty of time to work its way in.  toast your bread, mayo on both sides.  order of assembly is:

toast
lettuce
tomato
bacon
tomato
toast

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

you want at least 4 slices of thick cut bacon.  the stuff in the meat case is usually pretty decent.  i don't get flavored bacon b/c it seems like there's a lot of sugar in the solution which makes a mess when you cook it in cast iron. 

i go with a sandwich bread but not typical bag bread - if you can get it from a bakery rather than the grocery store bakery that's even better.  i like whole leaf butter/bibb/boston lettuce on mine but what type of lettuce is up to you.  high quality mayo is a must, i'll second duke's. 

the main impediment right now is that tomatoes are out of season.  you do not want the shitty roma tomatoes that are in stores right now (you don't want roma tomatoes for a blt pretty much ever, actually, but definitely not right now).  if you have a farmer's market maybe you'll find someone selling hothouse tomatoes.  as jameslaw said, you want the tomato to be ripe. 

cook the bacon using your method of choice to desired doneness.  i crack a lot of pepper on mine.  slice/season your tomatoes as soon as the bacon goes on the heat so that the salt has plenty of time to work its way in.  toast your bread, mayo on both sides.  order of assembly is:

toast
lettuce
tomato
bacon
tomato
toast

5 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Okay. This will sound strange. The tomato makes the sandwich.

You want good bread from the deli (I got sourdough from a bakery in Denton). Duke's Mayo - Don't skimp on this. Fresh crunchy romaine  and about 4-6 slices of thick cut bacon, also from the deli. Baking the bacon at 425 for about 15 minutes gets you nice flat slice. Toast the bread with some of the bacon grease on it.

But the Tomato - Try and get a heirloom tomato that feels like it's about to go bad. As in a kid should be able to easily squeeze it into tomato sauce. Put a little kosher salt on top of the sliced tomato about 5 minutes beforehand. Then a little pepper.

I also sometimes add some sort of Hot Sauce too

Fucking awesome. Appreciate your help. I'll get right on it. Prob gonna have a hard time finding decent tomatoes here in South TX, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:57 PM, LarTXHorn said:

In my 39 years of living on this Earth, I have never had a BLT. I may have to do the deed. I always figured why not throw some turkey in that bitch but all these blts got me thinking. Yours looks nice as far as i can tell, but like I said I've never had one. As long as you enjoyed it compadre that's all that matters.

• Haha 3

Grilled some thin pork chops Sunday, had a few leftover so made a poor man's Cuban.  Pork chop, spicy dill pickles and provolone on grilled sourdough.  BTW that bread is from Easy Tiger Bakery - it is fantastic and you can get it at HEB.  They have an olive version that goes great with salami and ham.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How did you shave that?  Mandoline?  Meat slicer?  Knife?

We have a ton of really outstanding ribeye roast and I want to do some Philly cheesesteaks (pseudo).  I was thinking of getting the meat really cold and doing my best with a sharp knife.

It had been in the fridge for a day approx. Good sharp serrated knife and you can get it thin enough for a sandwich. 

• Hook 'Em 2

that ET bread is a game changer.  my BLT above is on their rye.

Anastasis inspired me.  left over smoked prime rib (the other barky side, left over from NYE). ET sour dough, melted provolone.  caramelized onions and some brown gravy (to warm the meat) layered in there.  bread got a little more char than I planned, but still great.  to melt the cheese, I did each slice of bread separately in the pan I did the onions in.  then assembled it on the plate.  cast iron just takes forever to cool down.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

chased it with a long nap, this afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...