Jump to content
ajax

Joe Rogan moves to Spotify for over $100 million

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Off topic, but Rogan's standup fucking sucks. 

 

It was good 15 years ago.  Maybe his shtick is still 15 years old.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw him at the Majestic in Dallas a few years ago.  I laughed a lot.  This place is just full of jealous haters who live miserable lives.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not anywhere close to the top of his stand up game but he's still funny. 

That said what he does on his podcast, and the depth of knowledge he has on a massive range of topics is impressive. He also isn't afraid to admit he doesn't know something or wrong about a topic. That's impressive for someone that is in his position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Another damn Californian moving to Austin.  He doesn't say it directly, but I'm pretty sure he's moving to Austin.  Lol though, He's moving to Austin because LA is too crowded, too much traffic, too much homeless and too much covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

 

Another damn Californian moving to Austin.  He doesn't say it directly, but I'm pretty sure he's moving to Austin.  Lol though, He's moving to Austin because LA is too crowded, too much traffic, too much homeless and too much covid.

Yeah all that's bullshit. He's about to start that massive Spotify deal and he's moving to Texas because no state income tax. Simple as that. It's not about freedoms or traffic or covid (seriously??? Haha) or homeless. If it was about that he'd move out in the sticks on the beaches of Cali where you don't deal with that stuff much. 

It's all about greed. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the traffic has been delightful since covid started, so you really shouldn't list both of those as reasons, but peace out, hombre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Yeah all that's bullshit. He's about to start that massive Spotify deal and he's moving to Texas because no state income tax. Simple as that. It's not about freedoms or traffic or covid (seriously??? Haha) or homeless. If it was about that he'd move out in the sticks on the beaches of Cali where you don't deal with that stuff much. 

It's all about greed. 

Interesting angle.  I imagine like pro sports players if he does a stand-up show or ufc fight he has to pay taxes for the state the event is in, so that's not changing much.  He seems like a straight shooter though, if income taxes were the reason, not sure why he'd hide that.   

I thought he had also lived in Colorado for a while, or maybe has a house there.  I would think being such a pro weed guy he'd be hesitant to live in TX which is still a fairly anti weed state, compared to CA or CO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I would think being such a pro weed guy he'd be hesitant to live in TX which is still a fairly anti weed state, compared to CA or CO.  

It just depends on what county you're in, really. Dallas, Harris and Travis are barely charging Marijuana offenses anymore - unless you're trafficking a large amount. And I doubt Joe Rogan would have any trouble getting good weed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Interesting angle.  I imagine like pro sports players if he does a stand-up show or ufc fight he has to pay taxes for the state the event is in, so that's not changing much.  He seems like a straight shooter though, if income taxes were the reason, not sure why he'd hide that.   

I thought he had also lived in Colorado for a while, or maybe has a house there.  I would think being such a pro weed guy he'd be hesitant to live in TX which is still a fairly anti weed state, compared to CA or CO.  

It's all about that Spotify deal. It's no coincidence he's moving now. He'll pay income tax based on his state of residence for that contract as he won't be traveling to do podcasts.  I don't blame him but I know if I was a multi millionaire I'd want to live in a place with better scenery and quality of life than anywhere in Texas outside of SPI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

It's all about that Spotify deal. It's no coincidence he's moving now. He'll pay income tax based on his state of residence for that contract as he won't be traveling to do podcasts.  I don't blame him but I know if I was a multi millionaire I'd want to live in a place with better scenery and quality of life than anywhere in Texas outside of SPI

I guess he's that greedy.  CA tax is only around 10%.  Which isn't that much for a millionaire. Bbut whatever. Maybe he'll get some more ufc events in Texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't know how state taxes work in relation federal since I've never paid them but his contract is for "over $100 million" and just on raw numbers that's potentially several million in savings. 

 

Edited by Wanker Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

his 'residence' will be in Texas but im sure he'll still spend plenty of time in LA. I agree, this is 100% a tax move, smart one at that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch some of his clips on youtube when the person/subject sounds interesting. I’ve caught him saying that he would like to live away from LA but that he enjoys weekend comedy gigs around the country so he needs to be near a major airport.  I would think that would imply Dallas or Houston if he was moving to Texas. Austin is great do they have as many direct flights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess he's that greedy.  CA tax is only around 10%.  Which isn't that much for a millionaire. Bbut whatever. Maybe he'll get some more ufc events in Texas

Try 13.3%. Why is the government so greedy and fiscally irresponsible? 
California is way past the apex of the laffer curve. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oh_snap said:

Try 13.3%. Why is the government so greedy and fiscally irresponsible? 
California is way past the apex of the laffer curve. 


 

SALT tax cap also pulled the curtain back on these taxes for many individuals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess he's that greedy.  CA tax is only around 10%.  Which isn't that much for a millionaire. Bbut whatever. Maybe he'll get some more ufc events in Texas

Why is it greedy to find the water level that suits you?

12 hours ago, troph said:

Fuck him.

Why the vitriol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the hate. I don't worship the guy but enjoy some of his shows. He isn't a know it all, admits when he doesn't know something, challenges guests when they make a stupid argument and interviews people from all fucking sections of politics, fame, and industries. 

Do I disagree with him on stuff? Are some of his interviews too long? Boring? Sure, but holy hell to people love to just hate. Who the fuck cares where he is moving? 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

I don't get the hate. I don't worship the guy but enjoy some of his shows. He isn't a know it all, admits when he doesn't know something, challenges guests when they make a stupid argument and interviews people from all fucking sections of politics, fame, and industries. 

Do I disagree with him on stuff? Are some of his interviews too long? Boring? Sure, but holy hell to people love to just hate. Who the fuck cares where he is moving? 

Rogan withstood the attempts to cancel him based on his opposition to trans women competing against biological women in athletic endeavors (particularly fighting and weightlifting).   

No deviation from the correct opinion will be tolerated.  Accordingly, he must be sent to the camps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

I don't get the hate. I don't worship the guy but enjoy some of his shows. He isn't a know it all, admits when he doesn't know something, challenges guests when they make a stupid argument and interviews people from all fucking sections of politics, fame, and industries. 

Do I disagree with him on stuff? Are some of his interviews too long? Boring? Sure, but holy hell to people love to just hate. Who the fuck cares where he is moving? 

For a while he was a fucking Apollo truther, and he gives a platform, and therefor a little legitimacy to the batshit types.  I'm not talking about Alex Jones, who he is buddies with, although that's enough right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone cares, just a discussion on what motivated him to move.  I Don't hate him, I  listened all the time when I was more interested in MMA and had 1.5 hours of commuting a day.  He seems to be a genuine guy thats not solely motivated by money, but 10 million in taxes is 10 million. 

I wonder if his podcast suffers.  I imagine he won't get as many guest in Austin vs LA.  Maybe he starts to pay for guests to fly in, or maybe he does them from other cities as he travels around for stand up and ufc.  But the days of Joey Diaz or whatever random comedian showing up getting high as fuck and bullshitting for 3 hours might be over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comedians will be more than happy to travel to appear on the podcast.  Nothing provides middling comedians more exposure than JRE.  It also sounds like he may open a Comedy Store wherever he moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess the move was part of the deal and Spotify agreed to fly guests to wherever the hell he wanted them to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogan has Fuck You money now. He can build a compound with houses for all his buddies. And a Comedy Store. And a plane to fly guests in.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why the vitriol?

He’s an asshole to my people. He’s one of the worst public voices on trans issues. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about but he acts like he knows a lot and a lot of cisgender men buy into it. This isn’t the thread to get into it but he’s made a lot of our lives worse because of how he uses his platform to spread misinformation. So fuck him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rogan withstood the attempts to cancel him based on his opposition to trans women competing against biological women in athletic endeavors (particularly fighting and weightlifting).    No deviation from the correct opinion will be tolerated.  Accordingly, he must be sent to the camps.  

 

He doesn’t know what’s he’s talking about. He let a gal come on and basically accuse us of recruiting children and he let that crap go. There is plenty of good reason to dislike him. He’s an idiot on these issues he spouts shit off like it’s fact, let’s fringe views have a platform and guys like you believe him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, oh_snap said:

Try 13.3%. Why is the government so greedy and fiscally irresponsible? 
California is way past the apex of the laffer curve. 


 

laffer's a complete and total fuckstick, and so is anybody that doesn't think so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's said on many different episodes that he doesn't mind paying taxes and would even pay more if he got more from it. I think he wants to be closer to good hunting areas, in addition to the other reasons he talked about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My guess the move was part of the deal and Spotify agreed to fly guests to wherever the hell he wanted them to. 

He said that exact thing a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
his 'residence' will be in Texas but im sure he'll still spend plenty of time in LA. I agree, this is 100% a tax move, smart one at that 
It may have some to do with taxes but not the main reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, Helobious said:

Not that unusual, but I find pretty much all podcasts to be boring as fuck. Why would I listen to a couple people drone on for hours about anything. 

Yeah this is where I am ... even with things I'm very interested in. I typically already know more about the subject than the jackholes I'm listening too, anyway. I'd rather just go read an article and get even more informed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Apparently he moved to Austin this past weekend.  I've never listened to his show, but he seems funny from standup excerpts.  

I assume he'll still tape his show in California?  But most of his guests aren't Hollywood celebrities, right?  

Edited by Lobo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Apparently he moved to Austin this past weekend.  I've never listened to his show, but he seems funny from standup excerpts.  

I assume he'll still tape his show in California?  But most of his guests aren't Hollywood celebrities, right?  

There's a picture of a studio being built in Texas on his insta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have an instagram account.  If I did, it would be to see bikini models, not Joe Rogan building stuff ;) 

That's cool though I guess, may bring some anecdotal investment into Austin.  We are truly formulating a B-list celebrity presence in Austin between Rogan, Meatloaf, Chuck Woolery, et. al.  I would think his podcast will become even bigger now due to Covid-19 for another year.  I need to start listening to it.  How does one go about listening to a podcast?  

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the big reasons he gave for leaving is just too many people in LA and bad traffic.

I didn't realize Austin, or any Texas metro, was where you went to escape traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 10:18 PM, Both Tacos said:

It may have some to do with taxes but not the main reasons.

"Where we live right here is overcrowded"

Moves to Austin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get out into the “country” pretty fast in Austin still to this day. But you sure as shot can’t make it from the Domain to my house on south Austin in anything under an hour.  
the very little I’ve heard him speak about personally suggests he’d probably be a live outside city a bit where he and his guests can be alone and unfettered and probably just drive to The airport.   So traffic shouldn’t be a big issue for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I don't have an instagram account.  If I did, it would be to see bikini models, not Joe Rogan building stuff ;) 

That's cool though I guess, may bring some anecdotal investment into Austin.  We are truly formulating a B-list celebrity presence in Austin between Rogan, Meatloaf, Chuck Woolery, et. al.  I would think his podcast will become even bigger now due to Covid-19 for another year.  I need to start listening to it.  How does one go about listening to a podcast?  

Best place is Youtube.  He has two accounts...one has the full unedited 2-4 hour interviews and the other has <10 minute clips culled from the interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, Tom said:

One of the big reasons he gave for leaving is just too many people in LA and bad traffic.

I didn't realize Austin, or any Texas metro, was where you went to escape traffic.

Exactly. If all that bullshit he was spouting about LA was why he really wanted to leave he wouldn't have just moved to the Texas version of LA. Horribly inadequate infrastructure with overcrowded population is Austin to a tee. If all that so called "freedom" was what he wanted he would have built a compound out in Midland/Odessa where it's fucking bonkers. 

This proves it's 100 percent a tax move and he's being a disingenuous cunt lying about the reasons. I think when he started he truly wanted to get to the bottom of a lot of topics with genuine curiosity but the fame and money changed that and now he's just another political hack masquerading to hide behind his former reputation. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage-1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

now he's just another political hack masquerading to hide behind his former reputation. 

Do you... actually listen to his podcast? Maybe moving is about money for him and maybe he isn't as open and flippant as he used to be, but he is nothing near a "political hack".

I'd almost call him anti-poltical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's a fucking giant tool...a guy of average intelligence, and dumb people think he's smart (as many others have said). 

I'm glad that CA has 1 fewer douchebag as we can use all the help we can get. 

  • Like 2
  • Rage-1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you... actually listen to his podcast? Maybe moving is about money for him and maybe he isn't as open and flippant as he used to be, but he is nothing near a "political hack".

I'd almost call him anti-poltical. 

I did quite often before it became apparent he was sliding towards political nut jobs like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro. Now the only time I'll listen is when he has legitimate scientists and/or celebrities I find entertaining. Which is far less than it used to be. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage-1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...