Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

2 hours ago, immamac said:

not that I'm aware of, that is not the intention of either of those boards.

I'm not looking for smart ass fucking answers here, if you want this thread to keep going the way it is I'll just fucking delete it. I appreciate Bad_teammates perspective, I also appreciate the perspective of "it's your site do what you think is right". I want the community to decide, if you want me to just do what I think to fix the site then I'll do that, but there's been a pretty vocal contingent for a lot longer than I've had the privilege of happening to own the board url where this community resides that is pretty against heavy handed moderation.

Not to sound like an ingrate – thanks for doing all this – but the screw-up occurred during the transition from Shaggy Bevo/Texas to here. Bada Bing worked. Bada Bing was not simply “current events.” Its precursor, of course, was Quakenbush’s, which worked too. The concept of a politics board on one hand and a current events board on the other is nonsensical. The nonsensical result is hardly surprising. 

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If those people got punished with something more than having their posts delayed, like say a 24 hour, then 48, then 1 week posting ban, they'd get the picture pretty quick.  They would have to decide between being allowed to post, or shitting up a thread they don't like and being punished as a result.

I'd throw in that moving threads when they whine about them, after tossing in their CR hot takes, gives them exactly what they want.

Make this their temporary avatar while they are on probation.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The odd part is there are a good number of posters in this thread with which I am not on the same political team with (both sides) but have agreed with mutually throughout.

Then there are the CR trolls. 

Then there is Brisket. 

That's the shitty thing.  These conversations can happen without the trolls.  And some of the CR trolls are pretty loose in what they post elsewhere, whether it's the football forum or whatever.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I'd like to have this thread return to it's original intent, tweets and videos of protests/riots/etc and discussion of those specific events.

Whether it's the cops being assholes or some hooligans being dicks, I'd like to see the videos to see what's really going on in the streets.

Discussion of who's racist, white privilege, critical race theory, sjw and all the shit along with it should move to some other thread.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Didn't we already do this in the board discussion and it was ruled decided by a large majority that DT is for the Republicans to post their opinions and CR is for Democrats. But we'll pretend that's not what it is and claim DT is for non political real news like OAN and qanon while CR is for the liberal Jew run media sheep.

Naaa. It was 20-30 CR shit heels vs a couple of hundred normal humans in that pole vote.  That all of the 20-30 were Democrat?  Just a coincidence I’m sure. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I'd like to see the videos to see what's really going on in the streets.

mostly its cars driving around and people going about their daily lives.  this is putting a microscope on protests and since it's mostly tweets getting posted it's almost all naratively/agenda driven. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

mostly its cars driving around and people going about their daily lives.  this is putting a microscope on protests and since it's mostly tweets getting posted it's almost all naratively/agenda driven. 

This.  You'll note that there are next to zero posts of people at peaceful rallies, carrying signs, etc.....even though that is the overwhelming number and volume of the protests and demonstrations.  Instead, it's posts of selected videos, especially from hyper-political sources (andy ngo...I mean, come on).  

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Ding ding ding this right here, and this is why the threads existence itself is political. It's a stated goal of one of the presidential campaigns strategists to amp up the racial tension and put a microscope on violence to paint the other side as violent and terrible. 

This is not the case, and threads like this one foisting andy ngo and infowars goons as reliable sources who definitely aren't selectively documenting and presenting event to drive a narrative of "THEY BLACK FOLKS IS COMIN FOR THE SUBURBS!!! I SAW A VIDEO OF A MAN SAY IT!!! SO THE ENTIRE MOVEMENT WANTS TO KILL HOMES WITH AMERICAN FLAGS!!!!"

It's transparently political, unless you've drank the kool-aid and gone back for seconds. 

6 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Haha. I'm not the one who took offense to someone saying that women and minorities are better qualified to speak about women and minorities than white people. I'm sorry that statement so inflamed you that you've made your 108th through 112th posts in the two and a half years you've been here about it.

There is a difference between disagreeing and taking offense. I disagreed with Buzzrock's comment. I posted the below.

"Call me old fashioned but I don't think a physical trait someone is born with should prevent or limit them from having an opinion about a topic."

I didn't take offense. I wasn't "inflamed." I simply disagreed. You've responded with a litany of emotional and hysterical ad hominem attacks about my attitude, skin color, sex, and age. 

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  You'll note that there are next to zero posts of people at peaceful rallies, carrying signs, etc.....even though that is the overwhelming number and volume of the protests and demonstrations.  Instead, it's posts of selected videos, especially from hyper-political sources (andy ngo...I mean, come on).  

BT has posted multiple posts of cops being assholes, and there's nothing preventing you and others from posting videos of that stuff here. I would like to see those as well. But instead of posting these your answer is we shouldn't see any videos?

• Hook 'Em 1

Feel free to post them. Nobody is stopping you from it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, blacklab said:

BT has posted multiple posts of cops being assholes, and there's nothing preventing you and others from posting videos of that stuff here. I would like to see those as well. But instead of posting these your answer is we shouldn't see any videos?

When each Andy Ngo video is posted with the comment of "more peaceful protesters," and "I guess black lives matter more than those people's lives," and shit like that, it's political shit-stirring, and that's all it is.  It's asinine, and as political as things can get.  If folks want to do that, and go forth with that commentary, go for it (and hey, it's not my site, I don't make the rules anyway).  It's just laughably disingenuous to have a thread that is nothing but vomiting Twitter posts by Andy Ngo and the like, with a comment issued on each one, and call it "not political."  Racial justice and police violence are literally two of the most important political issues in our country right now.  I certainly don't contend that photos and videos of the "current event" of another police shooting aren't political -- they are, because it's undeniably a political issue.  Some current events are inherently political.

Post whatever you want.  Just don't take political potshots and then scream about your safe space when you get called out for it.  But again, do whatever you want.  I'm just noting that anyone with an ounce of intellectual honesty sees the entire discussion for what it is: an attack on a particular side in a hot political issue, where the attackers claim immunity from all rebuttal or counter-discussion.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Ding ding ding this right here, and this is why the threads existence itself is political. It's a stated goal of one of the presidential campaigns strategists to amp up the racial tension and put a microscope on violence to paint the other side as violent and terrible. 
This is not the case, and threads like this one foisting andy ngo and infowars goons as reliable sources who definitely aren't selectively documenting and presenting event to drive a narrative of "THEY BLACK FOLKS IS COMIN FOR THE SUBURBS!!! I SAW A VIDEO OF A MAN SAY IT!!! SO THE ENTIRE MOVEMENT WANTS TO KILL HOMES WITH AMERICAN FLAGS!!!!"
It's transparently political, unless you've drank the kool-aid and gone back for seconds. 

Opens thread about riots. Sees videos of riots. Complains about videos of riots. Blames the source of videos.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Blames the source of videos

No one with a lick of sense should be propagating QAnon. My guess is many don't know when they are spreading QAnon material - since that material may fit some sense of their personal reality and it is difficult to judge up from down in media silos lacking reference points. Tactically, strengthening the marketplace of ideas tends to cull aberrant and sociopathic movements. When the marketplace of ideas is filtered, the market does not work and violence increases.

Media silos are a real problem in this nation (and the world). They permit QAnon propagandists, among others, to tactically take advantage of ill-informed media consumers. 

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

The odd part is there are a good number of posters in this thread with which I am not on the same political team with (both sides) but have agreed with mutually throughout.

Then there are the CR trolls. 

Then there is Brisket. 

Brisket should be on the top as he's on the ledge most of the time...just sayin'.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I'd like to have this thread return to it's original intent, tweets and videos of protests/riots/etc and discussion of those specific events.

Whether it's the cops being assholes or some hooligans being dicks, I'd like to see the videos to see what's really going on in the streets.

Discussion of who's racist, white privilege, critical race theory, sjw and all the shit along with it should move to some other thread.

Team blacklab

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What''s the point?  None of you will give a shit.  There's a narrative to build and feed!  But remember, it's NOT political!

I don’t know how many times is has to be said that peaceful protest have 100% support here. You just can’t stop with your preconceived notions. You are exactly why you rail against.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No one with a lick of sense should be propagating QAnon. My guess is many don't know when they are spreading QAnon material - since that material may fit some sense of their personal reality and it is difficult to judge up from down in media silos lacking reference points. Tactically, strengthening the marketplace of ideas tends to cull aberrant and sociopathic movements. When the marketplace of ideas is filtered, the market does not work and violence increases.
Media silos are a real problem in this nation (and the world). They permit QAnon propagandists, among others, to tactically take advantage of ill-informed media consumers. 

I’m not on Twitter. I don’t have any idea what qAnon is. I have no idea who Andy ngo is. I know that Joe Rogan used to host a show where they ate disgusting things but I’ve never watched a minute of his show. Everyone here blames the source of the videos and the posters that post them, but I can see videos of the rioting and looting in the evening news as well.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t know how many times is has to be said that peaceful protest have 100% support here.

Yet.....they actually don't.  Kneel?  They suck.  Say the cops treat black people shitty?  They suck, because black people don't have it any worse -- a bad cop is a bad cop.  And it's just a few bad apples anyway.  March?  Can't pay attention to them - some of them said "black lives matter," and we all know that BLM is a commie front.

So, what you posted is a flat-out lie.  The gaslighting in this thread is breathtaking, it really is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yet.....they actually don't.  Kneel?  They suck.  Say the cops treat black people shitty?  They suck, because black people don't have it any worse -- a bad cop is a bad cop.  And it's just a few bad apples anyway.  March?  Can't pay attention to them - some of them said "black lives matter," and we all know that BLM is a commie front.

So, what you posted is a flat-out lie.  The gaslighting in this thread is breathtaking, it really is.

You're reading into what you want to read into it.  Period.  Open your mind a little because your mind is closed right now.  Seriously.  Anyone that doesn't agree 100% with what you post is labeled by you.

News flash Brisket.  We're not all going to agree 100% on everything but that doesn't mean that we don't believe in the peaceful protests and what they stand for.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

You're reading into what you want to read into it.  Period.  Open your mind a little because your mind is closed right now.  Seriously.  Anyone that doesn't agree 100% with what you post is labeled by you.

News flash Brisket.  We're not all going to agree 100% on everything but that doesn't mean that we don't believe in the peaceful protests and what they stand for.

It worked for Gaaaaaaaandhi.

32 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I agree with silos being a problem. As Burnt has said multiple times in this thread everyone should watch the Social Dilemma doc on netflix. People get so wrapped up in their point of view and only talk with people they agree with and echo chambers happen and everyone gets pissy and assumes the rest of the world are dumb assholes. I don't want this thread to be a QAnon dumping ground with no other points of view. It does happen with with both sides, just go look at the RBG thread in CR to see the other side of the fence. 

What I like about surly is the amalgamation of many points of view and many different sources. I want to see pictures and videos from multiple angles about events so I can draw my conclusions from it. I don't care if the video is from Andy Ngo or Antifa. The only part I do care about is if it's been photoshopped up.

I do hate the misinformation posts like the whole bag/Molotov cocktail. I have no problem deleting those types and removing them and giving people time out if they keep bringing them up.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

We're not all going to agree 100% on everything but that doesn't mean that we don't believe in the peaceful protests and what they stand for.

Yet you find fault with every.  Single.  One of them.  You say what you know you have to say, ethically, but only in the abstract.  Otherwise, kneeling sucks.  Marching sucks because commies.  Etc. etc. blah blah blah.  There's always something wrong with any peaceful protest.  Most Americans would rather simply be able to say a platitude like "of course we support racial equality and want the cops to be good," and then never have to think about the issue ever again.  Anything that reminds them of the problems and draws their attention to them....well, I mean, I WOULD be sympathetic, but commies and all that.  And shut up and dribble.  And do it on your own time, where I don't have to see it or hear it.

There's nothing new under the sun.  Nothing.  It's all what we've heard before, for decades.

The worst thing about this thread?  The people in it think they're being original.  They're not.  They're just playing the hits, which are decades old.

Show me a post I made where I find fault with them?  Please.

What I find fault with is harassment, destruction, looting, etc.  

So stop with the YOU shit because you can't point out a post of mine where I've done that and you have no clue who I am, what I stand for or what my life experiences are.

Portland is shaping up to be a shit show this weekend. 

Proud Boys planning on attending a rally - for which a permit was denied. QAnon on full alert. LARPers planning on showing up fully weaponized with their GI Joe patches. And the anti-fascists gearing up to meet them in the streets. The sides are shaping the battlefield in the pregame. 

Armed violence against fellow humans is not the answer - either side. But it appears inevitable.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/23/oregon-portland-pro-trump-protests-violence-texts?fbclid=IwAR3XWAy9r4xRizrVbYBF6o6d7LnU7TZvfnDfsErUnmJq9UTv0nVPaRqjR-c

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I agree with silos being a problem. As Burnt has said multiple times in this thread everyone should watch the Social Dilemma doc on netflix. People get so wrapped up in their point of view and only talk with people they agree with and echo chambers happen and everyone gets pissy and assumes the rest of the world are dumb assholes. I don't want this thread to be a QAnon dumping ground with no other points of view. It does happen with with both sides, just go look at the RBG thread in CR to see the other side of the fence. 

What I like about surly is the amalgamation of many points of view and many different sources. I want to see pictures and videos from multiple angles about events so I can draw my conclusions from it. I don't care if the video is from Andy Ngo or Antifa. The only part I do care about is if it's been photoshopped up.

I do hate the misinformation posts like the whole bag/Molotov cocktail. I have no problem deleting those types and removing them and giving people time out if they keep bringing them up.

The entire thread is disingenuous bullshit. Come the fuck on.

• Hook 'Em 1

So you feel threads that are completely one sided should be locked?

I don’t think that. Let it be what it is.

But nobody should lie about what it is. It’s a hyper-political thread with a completely political purpose and agenda...the only “no politics” is when there’s any criticism or calling out the bullshit. It’s a cowardly safe space thread, built on and defended y disingenuous bullshit.

Leave it up and open, i certainly never suggested otherwise. Just be honest about what to is. They lying about it is pathetic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So you feel threads that are completely one sided should be locked?

No I feel that we should stop pretending that threads which are political in nature aren’t allowed to have political discussions. 
It’s your board, do what you want, but the amount of pretending that the DT threads aren’t political is dumb. If you are afraid to be challenged on your politics then don’t post on topics that are political and cry when someone gives politics back to you. Because that’s what happens in this thread, and others, in this subforum constantly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

You’re all welcome to post your ideas there but some don’t like to be challenged. Example, this thread.

You brownshirts crowdsourced every dissenting voice.

Now you’ve all crawled out of the sewer bitching and moaning about anything and everything that doesn’t fit your worldview.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You brownshirts crowdsourced every dissenting voice.

Now you’ve all crawled out of the sewer bitching and moaning about anything and everything that doesn’t fit your worldview.

Nope. Still plenty of dissenting voices. Still plenty of disagreement. 
I get it, you want a safe space because you cannot present your ideas in the face of criticism and disagreement. That’s fine. Just stop pretending you’re non political because it’s bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nope. Still plenty of dissenting voices. Still plenty of disagreement. 
I get it, you want a safe space because you cannot present your ideas in the face of criticism and disagreement. That’s fine. Just stop pretending you’re non political because it’s bullshit.

Laughable 

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No I feel that we should stop pretending that threads which are political in nature aren’t allowed to have political discussions. 
It’s your board, do what you want, but the amount of pretending that the DT threads aren’t political is dumb. If you are afraid to be challenged on your politics then don’t post on topics that are political and cry when someone gives politics back to you. Because that’s what happens in this thread, and others, in this subforum constantly.

For years, both here and shaggy we've had threads about news events in one board and the political discussion about it in another board.  

When there's a shooting and we'd like to know what happened and news about it should we wade through 4 pages of the same tired arguments for and against guns or should we talk about the incident?