2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

34 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Dixon and a pretty nice ball from Card (I think). These practice videos all feel like whistling past the graveyard to me but I love them so much.

that's a damn good ball from Card. & Carl is right, Barron getting his head around and looking for the ball is a great sign.

Kool Aid GIF

Edited by Mason Ramsey
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

T.O.2.1. looks fucking 30 not 18 or 19 or whatever

Haha, I'm an idiot. I've been comparing Omeire to Terrell Owens in my head because he's basically the same size as pro Owens right out of high school. Doubt he'll ever be as athletic at that size but Owens is a Hall of Famer so whatever. Didn't connect that Omeire's intials are TO until this post. 

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

This one is really interesting, sure seemed like he was going to play a lot if not start. We're still deep at DL so I don't see it as a huge blow for the team but I did expect him to have a solid season. I just can't really make sense of it from his perspective except for taking it at face value, he really is concerned enough about COVID to sit the year out.

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

This one is really interesting, sure seemed like he was going to play a lot if not start. We're still deep at DL so I don't see it as a huge blow for the team but I did expect him to have a solid season. I just can't really make sense of it from his perspective except for taking it at face value, he really is concerned enough about COVID to sit the year out.

Probably be Ojomo and Jones at SDE.

(Ian Boyd) Inside the gameplan: Interpreting practice reports

Texas’ early practices have cleared up the picture on how they plan to deploy this team in the season. There hasn’t been a ton going on just yet but we’ve gotten a sense of who the main characters are and what their story arcs are likely to be.

One thing that’s clear is the confidence within the team about what they’re capable of achieving when they get a chance to play their schedule. The offense has potency beyond what we’ve seen in any previous season under Tom Herman. They've found and developed some truly explosive skill athletes to get on the field beyond just a single star in the slot. The offensive line has been totally rebuilt since the 2017 season and could be the strongest of the decade.

It’s hard to overstate the poor shape of the offensive line when Tom Herman initially arrived at Texas. The big comeback in the 2017 Red River Shootout was largely a function of Sam Ehlinger taking advantage of Oklahoma's man coverage and undisciplined pass rush against an overmatched line. Denzel Okafor’s current poor reputation was largely shaped from his attempt to solve the problem at left tackle in 2017 in games like the Oklahoma contest. His likely role in 2020 will look considerably different and come after a redshirt and a good deal of development since.

The 2020 season will be the first in which Texas will have a stable offensive line room built from Tom Herman recruits that didn’t need a grad transfer patch. The overall team will be the first in which the highly touted 2018 class will be on the field as upperclassmen. This is also arguably Texas’ first chance to flex the preferred walk-on program. The strategy for deploying this realized program in 2020 has always been clear.

Texas needs to be aiming to score 40+ points a game while fielding a defense that can swarm weaker teams and make a few key stops in the red zone against the stronger offenses. The former will be accomplished by arming senior Sam Ehlinger with as many tools as possible to unlock all of their athletes on offense. The latter by installing systems that allow a defense stocked with rare physical talents to play as fast and simple as possible. Here’s how it all seems to be shaping up for the team.

Offensive line stability

As has been reported, after a little early tinkering, the positions from left tackle to center are pretty well established. We also now have a few years of data on how Herb Hand prefers to build his offensive line units.

One of the starting points is to pair the best guard and tackle, a pretty standard practice for an inside zone team like Texas. The philosophy is to have a weighted flank opponents have to account for in the run game. Inside zone is a flexible scheme. Every play can bounce behind the left side if that’s where a crease opens up. Go watch D’Onta Foreman in 2016 and observe how, whether they were running right or left, he tended to end up cutting behind Connor Williams and Patrick Vahe on the left. Alternatively, check out Zach Evans’ high school film and observe how often he ran behind Damieon George. If you force a team to account for your left side it tends to make life easier for the right side than splitting the most talented veterans on different sides of the unit.

Last season was the closest Texas has come to pairing All-B12 caliber run blockers together on the left side (or right, obviously) under Tom Herman. Everyone understands the value of putting your best pass protector on the left side but Texas' left tackle is often a great run blocker as well. At a school like Oklahoma State where they may not be so lucky, it's common to find the dominant run blocking guard/tackle tandem on the right.

Besides the left-sided pairing, Herb Hand clearly puts a major emphasis on center and having a very reliable veteran in that position. The fact Texas emphasized centers in the last two classes makes clear the significance that he puts on having a proven vet snapping the ball and making calls and Derek Kerstetter is far and away the best option in 2020.

The nature of the inside zone blocking scheme is such that the right side can be patched together from the next best options on the roster. The rules for the scheme are universal across all five positions, so while pass protections and other run schemes bring variety to the other spots, the foundational scheme of the offense is conducive to cross-training and a “get the best five on the field” philosophy.

Denzel Okafor is now playing the Elijah Rodriguez/Derek Kerstetter role of swing player whose final destination on the right side of the line will likely be reflective of who Hand determines the fifth best lineman is. If Isaiah Hookfin or Willie Tyler emerge as the fifth best player, then Okafor will be the starting right tackle as both of those young players are currently guards. If Christian Jones emerges as the fifth best then Okafor will play right guard, since Jones is strictly at tackle currently. Perhaps Isaiah Hookfin will be the swing player of the future.

Okafor getting reps at both spots, much like Kerstetter did in 2019, allows Texas to easily arrive at a depth chart in which six or seven players can provide a back-up at all five positions. Center is the only complication here, what happens if Kerstetter is injured? Can Rafiti Ghirmai hold it down or would they have to turn to one of Jake Majors or Logan Parr? Center doesn't get isolated in space often so it’s reasonable to assume that Kerstetter will grit out all but a serious injury, but they need a contingency.

The best outcome would be one of Hookfin and Tyler and then Jones all developing over the fall into Big 12 champion-quality linemen. Then Texas can make the choice on the starting five based on where Okafor fits best. Where that is, I’m not sure, but the coaches will likely know by the time camp is over. Joe Ossai and the defensive tackles on this team don’t allow lineman to hide.

Jett Bush

The rise of the walk-on is a big camp story. The jack linebacker position on this team is extremely important. It’s a “space force” spot, where elite athleticism is key and Joe Ossai’s placement there is likely to be a major factor on the Big 12 championship race. Obviously the back-up is similarly important and the Longhorns not only testing a walk-on there but getting nice returns is unexpected and truly fascinating. The Bush senior Hudl, if you haven’t watched it yet, gives only vague clues as to what kind of jack linebacker he could prove to be:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7121778/5b9d30f93deae70a84a89082

I’ve also found clips of how he fared against some D1 athletes on those players’ own HUDL highlights. As a senior, he was pretty tall (legit 6-foot-2) and checked in at about 210 pounds. He’s now listed at 235. When he was covered up by the defensive line he showed the lateral agility to scrape and make plays. In coverage he was reasonably fluid and skilled for an inside linebacker.

Strake Jesuit blitzed him a fair amount and he came downhill through interior gaps with some real speed and abandon. At times his gap shooting burned them if he didn't make the play and the rest of pass-rushers didn’t contain the quarterback. Projecting this guy as an edge player is pretty difficult but if by the end of camp he’s outperforming Byron Vaughns and Prince Dorbah the conclusion should be his natural bounciness combined with Yancy McKnight built a powerful edge-rusher where there wasn't one before.

Skill talent carousel

Ostensibly Texas has big question marks at receiver for 2020. Devin Duvernay and Collin Johnson are off to the NFL after accounting for 41 percent of the catches over the last two years, for 47 percent of the receiving yardage, and 37 percent of the touchdowns. But at schools with good passing systems you can expect to rotate in talented receivers. Oklahoma State has rarely struggled to plug in a fresh, 1000-yard weapon at outside receiver in the Mike Gundy era. Oklahoma never seems to run dry when they draw from the receiver well either.

The level of talent in the Texas wide receiver room right now is on another level than we’ve seen at Texas unless you can remember back to the Mack Brown era. The question is not whether they have players with the ability to replace Duvernay and Johnson, only whether the talent they have has had enough development and time with Sam Ehlinger to realize their potential in 2020.

On the outside where it really matters, Texas is perhaps a little more well stocked than initially assumed. Brennan Eagles returns as the presumptive No. 1 target and boundary X target after a promising sophomore season in 2019. Opposite Eagles the Longhorns have Michigan transfer Tarik Black, freshman Troy Omeire, and Josh Moore. On the inside they have Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington and can always slide Moore and Black inside as well. Then there are the tight ends, particularly Cade Brewer and Brayden Liebrock who are getting most of the flex tight end work currently.

Intel says Moore moves inside in 10 personnel to make room for another outside guy, perhaps Omeire, while it appears Smith and Whittington will trade snaps in the slot. All of the varying packages and optionality should serve to allow them to regularly put the most trustworthy receivers in position to draw favorable matchups. Take a look at a concept like the flat-curl, X receiver isolation play that Yurcich has illustrated in his chalk talk.

From Texas' standard 11 personnel:

image.png

The main concern for the defense is the hi-low stress outside of the hash marks with the H and Z receivers. How do you hold down the middle of the field against the run game and tight end curl, avoid getting caught in space by the curl-flat, and do all that without leaving your cornerback 1-on-1 vs Eagles? From 10 personnel:

image.png

Now the spacing out wide is even more intense even though the run game concerns are diminished. And from 12 personnel:

image.png

Against 12 personnel a defense will tend to be thinking about the run game, but Texas can still run this sort of curl-flat concept in order to create space on the backside for Brennan Eagles to run an out at the chains against a cornerback 1-on-1. Same concepts, same offense, but vastly different personnel groups that can present different stress points for the defense in terms of matchups as well as accompanying schemes.

The tell tale sign of fall camp won't be hearing about who all lines up where. Everyone is going to get involved in a dozen different packages. The real question will be how Eagles, or whoever proves to be the real star of the show, benefits from being the focal point of the scheme. The pilot episodes of the 2020 season have been fascinating with a lot of crazy twists and subplots, but at the end of the day the story is going to come down to the relationship between Sam Ehlinger and his star receivers. Everyone should be looking forward to see how that plot line develops.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

FCB Camp update

Spoiler

We’ve had you ahead of the news as it pertains to Texas’ football scheduling as well as what’s been going on with the Big 12 and its continued march to a fall football season.

So, as promised, let’s get you up to date about what’s been going on at practice!

The team did not go to full pads on Wednesday as previously announced by coach Tom Herman. Instead, the players were in helmets, shell shoulder pads and shorts.

In fact, the team has had five practices so far with four of those in helmets and shorts. Only one practice has been in shoulder pads.

So as one team source told me, “We haven't played a lot of football yet.”

But when has that ever stopped anyone from talking about who is where on the depth chart and mentioning a few names, including young guys, who are flashing some play-making talent.

I’m sure most of you have seen the picture released by Texas football of freshman receiver Troy Omeire - the one where the 6-foot-3, 230-pound receiver, rocking his No. 21 jersey, looks like freakin Megatron (Calvin Johnson) from a physical standpoint, right?

Well, you’ll be glad to know the kid doesn’t just look the part. Omeire (pronounced Oh-MEER-ee) has been one of the best players — not just the best freshmen — on the field the first five days of practice.

Again, there have been no fully-padded practices, so no one has been able to lay licks on the receivers. But team sources are already calling Omeire a freak because of his length, grown-ass-man body, and oven-mitt-like hands snatching balls out of the air.

One team source told me, “Omeire has made more plays in the first five practices than Brennan Eagles and (Joshua) Moore combined. Jake Smith has been solid. But Omiere’s probably made more plays than Smith, too.”

The other freshman receiver drawing a lot of praise is Kelvontay Dixon, who wears No. 16 (the number was worn last year by Jake Smith, who now wears No. 7) and goes by "Moochie" as Herman mentioned in February ("he goes by ‘Moochie,’ so that’s really what I know him as," Herman said).

Dixon and freshman receiver Dajon Harrison have both shown great use of their speed in route running to get separation from defensive backs, but Dixon has made more plays in what has basically been a 7-on-7 format for much of practice.

I’m told Eagles, Moore and Marcus Washington have been “up and down” while Omiere and Dixon have “come bursting out of the gates.”

That same source said, “It’s early. There are freshman walls to be hit, and - again - we haven’t even put on full pads. So, let’s go slow here. Seven-on-7 is a different game from 11-on-11 on Saturdays.”

I’m told Michigan grad transfer Tarik Black (No. 0) and Al'Vonte Woodard (No. 9) “have had some good days.”

At quarterback, Sam Ehlinger continues to look more and more comfortable with the nuances of Mike Yurcich’s offense, sources said.

Casey Thompson is the clear No. 2 quarterback, and freshman Hudson Card is the clear No. 3 quarterback.

In fact, team sources say Card completely stands out during practice - even when he’s not the quarterback getting the live rep. That’s because Card will simulate every rep as if he’s taking the snap and will identify the primary receiver on the play and make a throwing motion to that receiver. If that receiver is covered, Card will look for his second or third option and make a throwing motion there.

“The kid (Card) has been all business and has really picked up on the offense well so far,” one team source said. “We gotta see him when the pads are on. But just from the standpoint of picking up the offense, he’s giving you the right answers in terms of what he’s seeing.”

Card apparently threw a touchdown pass at the end of the team’s two-minute drill to end practice Wednesday, causing the entire offense to whoop and holler, because it apparently gave the offense the edge for the day.

I’m told freshman Ja'Quinden Jackson is “definitely still digesting it all.”

At running back, Keaontay Ingram is back from the hamstring injury and running with the first team, ahead of Roschon Johnson.

But here are two pretty exciting nuggets for you at the running back position:

1. Freshman Bijan Robinson is impressing everyone with his maturity, work ethic and playmaking (the kid can catch, too, in addition to just seeing the crease and blazing through it).

2. Expect Jordan Whittington, who is now listed at receiver, to be used as a hybrid at both running back (where he worked last year before a season-ending sports hernia injury in the opener) as well as receiver.

“Whittington can really help us from an explosive versatility standpoint,” one team source said. “The guy is built like a grown man and is just a football player. And he hasn’t even hit 21 miles per hour yet in terms of his speed.”

That Whittington hasn’t hit 21 mph yet in preparation for the 2020 season is significant, because before he had two sports hernia surgeries in the past year, Whittington was regularly hitting or exceeding 21 mph.

So, you can look at that two ways: 1. Whittington is making plays as a versatile weapon and hasn’t yet returned to peak form; 2. Imagine what Whittington will be like when/if he returns to peak form.

At tight end, Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley have gotten the most work with the first- and second-team offense. But there haven’t been a ton of plays directed their way, according to sources. It’s early.

On the offensive line, there’s an interesting battle developing on the right side of the line.

As expected, Samuel Cosmi is the clear left tackle. Junior Angilau is working at left guard, and Derek Kerstetter is the starting center.

On the right side on Wednesday, I’m told Isaiah Hookfin got most of the first-team reps at right guard with fifth-year senior Denzel Okafor at right tackle.

I’m also told Okafor has worked at right guard with Christian Jones at right tackle.

On the second-team offensive line, I’m told Tyler Johnson has been rock solid along with senior Tope Imade at guard as well as Rafiti Ghirmai at center.

But I was also told to keep an eye on freshman Jake Majors at center and Willie Tyler at guard. In fact, I was told Majors got almost all of the second-team reps at center on Wednesday during the team’s two-minute offense at the end of practice.

(Photo: Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
The biggest news of the day Wednesday was on defense where senior end Marqez Bimage, who’d done a great job of slimming down from 272 to 251 pounds, has opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns over COVID-19.

Bimage is one of the most explosive players on the team as a member of the 700-pound squat club. He’s a smart, hard-working guy who was poised to get his opportunity in Chris Ash’s 4-3 defense after playing behind Ta'Quon Graham as a 4i defensive end in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 scheme.

Coaches believe Bimage would look to return next season as a fifth-year senior if there are fewer concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Moro Ojomo got most of the reps with the first-team defense in Bimage’s absence on Wednesday with Graham at the three-technique defensive tackle, Keondre Coburn at nose and Joseph Ossai at the stand-up defensive end/Jack linebacker position.

I’m told the second-team defensive line is where heads are turning thanks to some young fellas.

True freshmen Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins are becoming regulars on the second-team D-line, I’m told, along with T'Vondre Sweat. Broughton and Collins are being cross-trained to play either the strongside defensive end or the three-technique defensive tackle positions. Sweat has been at nose.

I’m told Daniel Carson and Jacoby Jones are getting reps behind Broughton and Collins and that Myron Warren is getting reps behind Sweat at nose.

At linebacker, Ayodele Adeoye has gotten most of the first-team reps in the middle, backed up by Juwan Mitchell, I’m told. DeMarvion Overshown has been getting most of the first-team reps at weakside linebacker backed up by David Gbenda.

And keep an eye on Jaylan Ford and Jaden Hullaby, I’m told.

Byron Vaughns is the second-team Jack behind Ossai. But I’m told Jaylan Ford got a lot of run at the Jack on the second-team defense on Wednesday and that Hullaby is picking up the defense faster than coaches anticipated and “can really run,” one team source said.

In the secondary, Chris Adimora is getting most of the first-team reps at nickel while being backed up by Marques Caldwell and Xavion Alford.

And I was told Alford has been “one of the defensive MVPs among the freshmen.”

At safety, Caden Sterns and Chris Brown have been getting most of the first-team reps at safety with Montrell Estell and B.J. Foster backing them up.

I was told Wednesday night Estell has had “a really good couple days” in practice. When I asked about Tyler Owens, I was told nothing notable at this point. But, again, it’s early.

Remember, there have been only five practices and four of them have been in helmets and shorts. Small sample size and NO PADS.

So, we’re just talking about who has stood out in 7-on-7 type practices up to this point. Let’s continue ...

At cornerback, I’m told Kenyatta Watson II has gotten a lot of first-team reps at left cornerback, ahead of D'Shawn Jamison, while Jalen Green has gotten most of the first-team reps at right cornerback, ahead of Josh Thompson. But the cornerback position is far from decided, and Tom Herman said he expects that battle to continue into the season with everyone pushing each other.

COMMENTS
As far as the specialists, I’m told Cameron Dicker has been on point with his field goal kicking along with punter Ryan Bujcevski. But I'm also hearing Texas is flirting with bringing in another Australian punter/kicker who doesn't exactly fit the 18-to-22-year-old profile of most student-athletes.

One source told me "they're talking about bringing in an Aussie kicker who looks like he's 30 years old." Obviously, I'm trying to get more information on if there's any traction on this. As of right now, it doesn't appear Texas has pulled the trigger on bringing in another punter.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

As far as the specialists, I’m told Cameron Dicker has been on point with his field goal kicking along with punter Ryan Bujcevski. But I'm also hearing Texas is flirting with bringing in another Australian punter/kicker who doesn't exactly fit the 18-to-22-year-old profile of most student-athletes.

One source told me "they're talking about bringing in an Aussie kicker who looks like he's 30 years old." Obviously, I'm trying to get more information on if there's any traction on this. As of right now, it doesn't appear Texas has pulled the trigger on bringing in another punter.

Um, the one who committed a few months back? 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

FCB Camp update

Reveal hidden contents

We’ve had you ahead of the news as it pertains to Texas’ football scheduling as well as what’s been going on with the Big 12 and its continued march to a fall football season.

So, as promised, let’s get you up to date about what’s been going on at practice!

The team did not go to full pads on Wednesday as previously announced by coach Tom Herman. Instead, the players were in helmets, shell shoulder pads and shorts.

In fact, the team has had five practices so far with four of those in helmets and shorts. Only one practice has been in shoulder pads.

So as one team source told me, “We haven't played a lot of football yet.”

But when has that ever stopped anyone from talking about who is where on the depth chart and mentioning a few names, including young guys, who are flashing some play-making talent.

I’m sure most of you have seen the picture released by Texas football of freshman receiver Troy Omeire - the one where the 6-foot-3, 230-pound receiver, rocking his No. 21 jersey, looks like freakin Megatron (Calvin Johnson) from a physical standpoint, right?

Well, you’ll be glad to know the kid doesn’t just look the part. Omeire (pronounced Oh-MEER-ee) has been one of the best players — not just the best freshmen — on the field the first five days of practice.

Again, there have been no fully-padded practices, so no one has been able to lay licks on the receivers. But team sources are already calling Omeire a freak because of his length, grown-ass-man body, and oven-mitt-like hands snatching balls out of the air.

One team source told me, “Omeire has made more plays in the first five practices than Brennan Eagles and (Joshua) Moore combined. Jake Smith has been solid. But Omiere’s probably made more plays than Smith, too.”

The other freshman receiver drawing a lot of praise is Kelvontay Dixon, who wears No. 16 (the number was worn last year by Jake Smith, who now wears No. 7) and goes by "Moochie" as Herman mentioned in February ("he goes by ‘Moochie,’ so that’s really what I know him as," Herman said).

Dixon and freshman receiver Dajon Harrison have both shown great use of their speed in route running to get separation from defensive backs, but Dixon has made more plays in what has basically been a 7-on-7 format for much of practice.

I’m told Eagles, Moore and Marcus Washington have been “up and down” while Omiere and Dixon have “come bursting out of the gates.”

That same source said, “It’s early. There are freshman walls to be hit, and - again - we haven’t even put on full pads. So, let’s go slow here. Seven-on-7 is a different game from 11-on-11 on Saturdays.”

I’m told Michigan grad transfer Tarik Black (No. 0) and Al'Vonte Woodard (No. 9) “have had some good days.”

At quarterback, Sam Ehlinger continues to look more and more comfortable with the nuances of Mike Yurcich’s offense, sources said.

Casey Thompson is the clear No. 2 quarterback, and freshman Hudson Card is the clear No. 3 quarterback.

In fact, team sources say Card completely stands out during practice - even when he’s not the quarterback getting the live rep. That’s because Card will simulate every rep as if he’s taking the snap and will identify the primary receiver on the play and make a throwing motion to that receiver. If that receiver is covered, Card will look for his second or third option and make a throwing motion there.

“The kid (Card) has been all business and has really picked up on the offense well so far,” one team source said. “We gotta see him when the pads are on. But just from the standpoint of picking up the offense, he’s giving you the right answers in terms of what he’s seeing.”

Card apparently threw a touchdown pass at the end of the team’s two-minute drill to end practice Wednesday, causing the entire offense to whoop and holler, because it apparently gave the offense the edge for the day.

I’m told freshman Ja'Quinden Jackson is “definitely still digesting it all.”

At running back, Keaontay Ingram is back from the hamstring injury and running with the first team, ahead of Roschon Johnson.

But here are two pretty exciting nuggets for you at the running back position:

1. Freshman Bijan Robinson is impressing everyone with his maturity, work ethic and playmaking (the kid can catch, too, in addition to just seeing the crease and blazing through it).

2. Expect Jordan Whittington, who is now listed at receiver, to be used as a hybrid at both running back (where he worked last year before a season-ending sports hernia injury in the opener) as well as receiver.

“Whittington can really help us from an explosive versatility standpoint,” one team source said. “The guy is built like a grown man and is just a football player. And he hasn’t even hit 21 miles per hour yet in terms of his speed.”

That Whittington hasn’t hit 21 mph yet in preparation for the 2020 season is significant, because before he had two sports hernia surgeries in the past year, Whittington was regularly hitting or exceeding 21 mph.

So, you can look at that two ways: 1. Whittington is making plays as a versatile weapon and hasn’t yet returned to peak form; 2. Imagine what Whittington will be like when/if he returns to peak form.

At tight end, Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley have gotten the most work with the first- and second-team offense. But there haven’t been a ton of plays directed their way, according to sources. It’s early.

On the offensive line, there’s an interesting battle developing on the right side of the line.

As expected, Samuel Cosmi is the clear left tackle. Junior Angilau is working at left guard, and Derek Kerstetter is the starting center.

On the right side on Wednesday, I’m told Isaiah Hookfin got most of the first-team reps at right guard with fifth-year senior Denzel Okafor at right tackle.

I’m also told Okafor has worked at right guard with Christian Jones at right tackle.

On the second-team offensive line, I’m told Tyler Johnson has been rock solid along with senior Tope Imade at guard as well as Rafiti Ghirmai at center.

But I was also told to keep an eye on freshman Jake Majors at center and Willie Tyler at guard. In fact, I was told Majors got almost all of the second-team reps at center on Wednesday during the team’s two-minute offense at the end of practice.

(Photo: Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
The biggest news of the day Wednesday was on defense where senior end Marqez Bimage, who’d done a great job of slimming down from 272 to 251 pounds, has opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns over COVID-19.

Bimage is one of the most explosive players on the team as a member of the 700-pound squat club. He’s a smart, hard-working guy who was poised to get his opportunity in Chris Ash’s 4-3 defense after playing behind Ta'Quon Graham as a 4i defensive end in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 scheme.

Coaches believe Bimage would look to return next season as a fifth-year senior if there are fewer concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Moro Ojomo got most of the reps with the first-team defense in Bimage’s absence on Wednesday with Graham at the three-technique defensive tackle, Keondre Coburn at nose and Joseph Ossai at the stand-up defensive end/Jack linebacker position.

I’m told the second-team defensive line is where heads are turning thanks to some young fellas.

True freshmen Vernon Broughton and Alfred Collins are becoming regulars on the second-team D-line, I’m told, along with T'Vondre Sweat. Broughton and Collins are being cross-trained to play either the strongside defensive end or the three-technique defensive tackle positions. Sweat has been at nose.

I’m told Daniel Carson and Jacoby Jones are getting reps behind Broughton and Collins and that Myron Warren is getting reps behind Sweat at nose.

At linebacker, Ayodele Adeoye has gotten most of the first-team reps in the middle, backed up by Juwan Mitchell, I’m told. DeMarvion Overshown has been getting most of the first-team reps at weakside linebacker backed up by David Gbenda.

And keep an eye on Jaylan Ford and Jaden Hullaby, I’m told.

Byron Vaughns is the second-team Jack behind Ossai. But I’m told Jaylan Ford got a lot of run at the Jack on the second-team defense on Wednesday and that Hullaby is picking up the defense faster than coaches anticipated and “can really run,” one team source said.

In the secondary, Chris Adimora is getting most of the first-team reps at nickel while being backed up by Marques Caldwell and Xavion Alford.

And I was told Alford has been “one of the defensive MVPs among the freshmen.”

At safety, Caden Sterns and Chris Brown have been getting most of the first-team reps at safety with Montrell Estell and B.J. Foster backing them up.

I was told Wednesday night Estell has had “a really good couple days” in practice. When I asked about Tyler Owens, I was told nothing notable at this point. But, again, it’s early.

Remember, there have been only five practices and four of them have been in helmets and shorts. Small sample size and NO PADS.

So, we’re just talking about who has stood out in 7-on-7 type practices up to this point. Let’s continue ...

At cornerback, I’m told Kenyatta Watson II has gotten a lot of first-team reps at left cornerback, ahead of D'Shawn Jamison, while Jalen Green has gotten most of the first-team reps at right cornerback, ahead of Josh Thompson. But the cornerback position is far from decided, and Tom Herman said he expects that battle to continue into the season with everyone pushing each other.

COMMENTS

Well, he's def talking to different ppl than whoever has been sourcing the other updates. Omeire as a badass stays consistent though