Check Out This Fucking Taco

luke duke

Ok, these aren’t tacos I made, but rather tacos I picked up. As a point of comparison, a single taco of this size at Torchy’s is $4.50-$5.00.

I got these three from JD’s supermarket on 812 for $6....total.

6d30b1cb0c0c70a66f41645e31c56ac4.jpg

Puerco en chile colorado, carne guisada, and birria de chivo.

They were f’n great. If there was a simple drive through or pickup place near me that served up goods like this, I’d have me a lot of $6 meals.

Instead, I live near a Torchy’s, and only get these on our way back from hunting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Deej said:

White people are willing to pay more for a "safer" experience  

This....is correct.

Maybe my million dollar idea is to open a place that looks all safe and sanitized, with spiffy logos and menus and whatnot, so it looks "white people safe," but features real-deal GOOD tacos....and also, I have duplicate menus in English and Spanish, so I can also sell may goods to the mexicans in their work trucks.  Double my customer base and all that.

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

This is some cheap homemade shit for a little kickback. Played spades and dominoes during the game like my grandpa would want

Yellow corn tortilla, queso, fajita and some salsa. Also picured aquachile with chicharonnes and a tablita 3fda0977a7968e888f12d1b61422234d.jpg

That;s an outstanding pair of plates, Zepol.

You need to exclude white people from San Antonio from that list.  Sketchy places are always our favorite.  When I lived in San Marcos, I used to drive past 2 other dives (Herbert's and Garcia's) to go to Mana's en el Barrio.  If you were ever constipated, you'd eat at Mana's a be cured almost instantly.  Many planned trips to HEB after Mana's had to be aborted due to...issues. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There doesn't appear to be a legitimate taqueria in Circle C, which is both hilarious and appropriate.

However, there seem to be some legit taco carts of Brodie between Slaughter and 71. Alma's tacos looks like it's got a cool little mole thing going on. Taco Brother looks good and a lot of people take pictures of the cheeseburger, and I've found that little mexican food places often make excellent griddle-top cheeseburgers. Hecho in Mexico in Oak Hill is fancy and supposed to be good, but I've never been there. Oye Taquito on Brodie north of William Cannon looks pretty good. 

Then I guess the next closest concentration is going to be on south Manchaca over by Valentinas. There are a lot of taquerias up and down that strip, because there are still a bunch of messicans in that neighborhood. And then after that it's the stretch on William cannon East of West Gate where you've got La Posada, Casa Garcias, and Taqueria Morales, which is exceptional. 

Casita Nicole Antojitos Mexicanos at Slaughter and West Gate looks to be pretty legit, and I guess would be closest to you. 

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this because I didn't cook this. But you need to check out this fucking taco. From a food truck called Sabor Tapatio on Stassney and S. Congress. They specialize in Jalisco-style Birria Barbacoa tacos. Wrapped in two corn tortillas and lightly fried on the outside, with a cheese hinge, served with a cup of consomme for dipping. Holy shit.  
2e33147075cc629921d7b7b1cba29d09.jpg

yep...my favorite taco in Waco. smoked then braised brisket and queso in corn tortillas that’s griddled in queso, consommé for dipping. sides of dona sauce and salsa dojo.

9305be0714d077ac48371d1d606809fb.jpg

27cf2712a1a468f2c47a0cb621225262.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:40 PM, irishtexan said:

Not sure where to put this because I didn't cook this. But you need to check out this fucking taco. From a food truck called Sabor Tapatio on Stassney and S. Congress. They specialize in Jalisco-style Birria Barbacoa tacos. Wrapped in two corn tortillas and lightly fried on the outside, with a cheese hinge, served with a cup of consomme for dipping. Holy shit.  

2e33147075cc629921d7b7b1cba29d09.jpg

Holy crap.  And with the grilled jap and onions on the side.

37 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’m familiar with arandas.  haven’t heard of la traila.  will head there for dinner and report back. 

They have tripas AND lengua.  Recommend.....but, I don't think they're open for dinner.

Man, if you want to hit taco trailers...hit Lamar south of 183, all the way to Rundberg.  On a Friday night, all the colored lights out front of all of them makes the whole stretch of road look like a carnival.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, Updawg said:

Will have to try those last two.

I’ve had Alma’s for breakfast tacos so I need to try it again. And I’ve done most of the Manchaca ones but it’s been a while. Just wish there was something closer

There isn’t anything much closer, aside from those already mentioned Bella’s  at the corner of Westgate and Slaughter is good, and there’s actually a decent taqueria in the gas station at Brodie and Davis.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

12 hours ago, luke duke said:

I made some a couple of months ago. They turned out pretty good.
Round 1
ce3da9192286b034f352a0da8c20fee6.jpg

Round 2
15184094c56162a6fed12bdfb05d29fd.jpg

Did you just dip the tacos in the broth grease and then fry them, or did you use oil in the pan too?  Wanting to make some of these this weekend - I get everything but the frying part.