Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

39 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The real newest narrative is that they’re scheduling FCS schools in order to supposed lower tier football. They make us sound like charity. Whatever would the FCS schools do without the generous and altruistic Texas A&M Aggies? 

Yep that was mentioned at the SEC media day. How would all these other FCS and G5 programs exist without the pay games.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Appears Morris is going to aggy as well. Though it's interesting because he only weighs 287 pounds. No way they take a HS Jr under 320.

Yeah, but Morris completes the 5 man OL haul of nothing but Guards.  Well, unless Jefferson goes to DT.

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah, but Morris completes the 5 man OL haul of nothing but Guards.  Well, unless Jefferson goes to DT.

They are hoping beyond all hope to process Jefferson. Hell, they think they are getting 3 more DL recruits. Which is interesting given that they have 1 SR and Madubike likely declaring. That leaves 8 DL that would be upper class men in 2020, most of that being 3 star bread.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They are hoping beyond all hope to process Jefferson. Hell, they think they are getting 3 more DL recruits. Which is interesting given that they have 1 SR and Madubike likely declaring. That leaves 8 DL that would be upper class men in 2020, most of that being 3 star bread.

He tweeted out some workout video today with #gigem and something about aggy DT.

6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jimbo must really hate Pruitt and does some big time negative recruiting on him.  Going after a lot of Tennessee commits and in-state recruits.

Eh, who else can he beat up on and steal recruits from? Not bama, Georgia, or Clemson. Tennessee is the only school that’s been shitty enough lately but paying for talent that aTm can probably sell on a better future for kids. If Pruitt figures anything out soon then this will go away as well. 

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep that was mentioned at the SEC media day. How would all these other FCS and G5 programs exist without the pay games.

and again, I say, if you give a man a fish, he eats a meal. if you teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime. so the SEC should do the right thing and invite Troy and Sam Houston State to join. 

Ha I love Aggy is spinning the grades excuse for potentially pulling Jefferson’s scholarship. Jimbo better fucking hope he fails all his classes because pulling a hometown kids scholarship offer will be hilarious if he does qualify

And it’s not like Jimbo didn’t approve of the offer. He was still the coach when Turner was here. 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eh, who else can he beat up on and steal recruits from? Not bama, Georgia, or Clemson. Tennessee is the only school that’s been shitty enough lately but paying for talent that aTm can probably sell on a better future for kids. If Pruitt figures anything out soon then this will go away as well. 

Es verdad.

Last time Tennessee was relevant nationally - 1998

Coincidentally, the last time aggy was relevant in conference - 1998

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jimbo must really hate Pruitt and does some big time negative recruiting on him.  Going after a lot of Tennessee commits and in-state recruits.

Kind of like Corch Meyers hatred for Herman. FSU’s national championship can largely be contributed to Pruitt’s defense.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Ha I love Aggy is spinning the grades excuse for potentially pulling Jefferson’s scholarship. Jimbo better fucking hope he fails all his classes because pulling a hometown kids scholarship offer will be hilarious if he does qualify

And it’s not like Jimbo didn’t approve of the offer. He was still the coach when Turner was here. 

Pretty sure Jefferson has been committed since Sumlin

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Kind of like Corch Meyers hatred for Herman. FSU’s national championship can largely be contributed to Pruitt’s defense.

Mark Stoops also played a part in that.

Pruitt hates Jimbo. When he left FSU for UGA, he basically did it under cover of darkness. FSU matched UGAs offer but Pruitt left anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

Pruitt hates Jimbo. When he left FSU for UGA, he basically did it under cover of darkness. FSU matched UGAs offer but Pruitt left anyway.

It's pretty obvious that not too many people who have been close to Jimbo actually like the guy. He's as demanding as Nick Saban without the success to warrant it. He's a self-absorbed asshole.

edit-- I'll add that Tom Herman can also be seen as a self-absorbed asshole, but I have seen little evidence that those who work for him hate him. Herman seems loyal to a fault.

Edited by Tex Pete

You've got to have a healthy ego to make it the elite level of any field that pays top dollar. I don't see Herman as arrogant or particularly self-absorbed for a big time HFC. For someone whose rise has been so meteoric, I'd say he's pretty grounded.

I think he reviews his own work and approach. His culture is in place and it seems to be a really good one. He cares about his players. I'm happy as shit he's here. Finding a coach is such a crap shoot. Every year there are can't miss prospects who miss terribly.

Jimbo isn't the sure thing so many programs wanted to believe he is. Only Meyer and Saban have proven they can take success with them when they move. Jimbo might, but it's no sure thing no matter how much the Aggies will it to be.

In this recruiting forum, I'll say that Herman's seizing of the initiative with the '21 class and the way this class is shaping up, things aren't going according to plan in Aggieland. The Ags have brought out the same old saws about Jimbo not offering or getting exactly who he wants that have been around since the decline of RC.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I wasn't knocking Herman. I think he'll do great things here. I think he's intelligent, really confident, and has a plan that he is sticking to. I am just allowing for the posters who believe he's an asshole.

This is where I am. Herman obviously knows a shit-ton more than I do about football, but if I were in his position, I could easily see myself saying the same things he says, the way he says them. My perception is that he attacks his job the same way I attack mine, and the people who I take care of really like me, and the ones I am forcing to do things they don't want to do, or want information I won't share with them, really think I'm a giant asshole. It goes with the territory.

3 hours ago, TBGFL said:

if there's a guy in college football you want as a character reference, it's definitely jeremy pruitt. 

3 minutes ago, bizzle said:

if there's a guy in college football you want as a character reference, it's definitely jeremy pruitt. 

"I don't know the circumstances with Jameis," Fisher said. "I love Jameis. Hopefully he'll be able to move on and obviously, that is something that he will be able to move on from. And yes, I love him. I still think he's a tremendous young man. I really do.

I'm not saying I'd want Pruitt as a character reference. I'm just saying other mob bosses didn't like Al Capone. The fact that they were also mob bosses didn't make them wrong.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I am just allowing for the posters who believe he's an asshole.

Who really cares about this?  I'm not asking the man to babysit my kids or speak on Sundays to a group of parishioners.  I need him to be only ethical and effective.  Beyond that, with the stress he is under, I don't really care.  As long as he both mentors and develops young men and maximizes their performance on the field, I don't give a rats ass about his demeanor or personality.  Understand there's a line with brash, arrogant coaches who fail to perform - but uphold your end of the bargain by choking a knot in the ass of every team that sets foot in Austin, and I'll uphold mine (to show up and give my support).  

Billy. 

Spoiler

• First, some thoughts on the Aggies' lone commitment of the weekend - A&M Consolidated WR Devin Price‍:

As is the case with many 'expected' commits, Devin's commit didn't get as much run as it should have from various media outlets or perhaps even on the A&M-centric message boards (including the biggest and baddest of them all). Here's the best way I can put it when talking about the newest member of the Ags' Class of 2020:

As a three-star recruit, Devin Price is going to be looked at as an absolute steal in a couple of years for the Aggies. Look, he's younger than most members of his class and isn't close to filling out or probably even growing, so the local standout's best football is still at least a couple of years ahead of him. That said, I haven't seen many prospects come as far as fast as what I've seen from the A&M legacy. If you watched Devin play (or even just saw him in person) two years ago, last year at this time and compared that to where he is today, it's like you're watching a different dude entirely. He's gotten better in every area of the game - size, speed, playmaking skills and, perhaps more than anything, Devin is now a supremely confident player when he's on the field.

Tyler Zander, TexAgs

With long arms and an ability to get above defenders, Price has an impressive ability to come down with contested balls.

At over 6-3 and with long arms and good leaping ability, Price's catch radius is off the charts type stuff and, when it comes to locating the football and coming down with the contested catch, he may just be better than anyone in the state outside of Demond Demas‍. That and a feel for the game are strengths of Devin's game right now, and he's elite in both areas. A developmental prospect? If you wish, but I'm here to tell you I cannot wait to see what Price looks like after what should be a ridiculously productive senior season at Consol and a year to blossom under the watchful eyes of Dameyune Craig and Jerry Schmidt as either a redshirt or backup for the Aggies in 2020. I think we'll be talking about a 6-4, 220-pound outside receiver and absolute matchup nightmare in the red zone and on 50/50 balls. Price - who caught 46 passes for 799 yards and an eye-catching 14 touchdowns last season and has hauled in 21 TD grabs over the past two years - has got some Lil'Jordan Humphrey to his game if you don't mind the Longhorn comparison.

Price's addition means the Aggies are done at receiver in 2020, a class that is likely to rate among the most highly-regarded in the country. What a ridiculously strong haul for Craig, who went out and got exactly who he wanted this cycle.

• Don't look now, but there are suddenly a couple of very real and very exciting options for Mike Elko and Mo Linguist at safety. A couple of weeks ago, this was a position that had the potential to be a bit of a concern. Over the weekend, the Aggies played host to two of the nation's best in Shadow Creek playmaker Xavion Alford‍ (pictured above) and East St. Louis (IL) standout Antonio Johnson‍. 

Johnson decommitted from Tennessee on Sunday evening, something the Ags were expecting following a tremendous first visit to College Station. Word I'm hearing is that the 6-2, 185-pounder is likely to zero in on A&M and Alabama. If you'll remember, Fisher, Elko and Co. had reason to be very confident they could land Johnson earlier in the process for a reason. It's also worth noting that the four-star didn't decommit following a summer visit to Bama but did after tripping to Aggieland. File that one away as interesting/telling because it's the same thing fellow Midwest DB target Dontae Manning‍ did when he saw what A&M had to offer and decommitted from OU shortly after his visit.

Justin Schoenemann

A&M has prioritized Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford, who is also considering Alabama and LSU.

Xavion Alford's stock has soared throughout the summer and the Houston-area defender rates as a high-priority target for Fisher, Elko, Linguist and the Aggies. The Ags put their best foot forward this weekend and then some with a dynamic defensive back who is still mulling options that include LSU, Bama and A&M. Xavion has never really had any sort of set time frame for a decision, but the Aggies making a move up his list when they did could prove pivotal in the four-star cover man's recruitment. Fellow 'Fast 7' team members Leon O'Neal and Josh Eaton‍ (who will announce his decision on August 6) could go a long way here, as will proximity to home and the fact that the Ags don't have a safety committed.

Love the odds right now of the Ags landing at least one of these two elite safety targets at some point not too far down the road. Land both plus Josh Eaton and Dontae Manning to go along with Jaylon Jones and Joshuah Moten and you're talking about a top 3-5 DB haul in the country in 2020.

• Safety, quarterback and running back. Three positions some of you (we know who you are) were in a borderline panic-stricken state about as recently as earlier this month. Haynes King‍'s commitment turned a question mark into an exclamation point at QB and significant progress (perhaps even a push to the top with both players) was made at safety this weekend. How things will play out at the tailback spot might just be the most interesting follow between now and National Signing Day. A&M has as good a chance as teams like LSU, Bama and Georgia at eventually landing Zach Evans‍, and the Ags have what I would consider an excellent chance at landing Daniyel Ngata‍ (we're hearing he's very close) and Devon Achane‍. EJ Smith‍ isn't one to tip his hand, but the son of NFL legend Emmitt Smith is coming off of an outstanding College Station visit, and we're in the middle of seeing Fisher, Jay Graham and the Ags making a furious push for the Dallas-area RB's services. Should be fascinating to see how things play out in the backfield.

• Not surprisingly, the Ags have done a great job of recruiting Florida since Jimbo Fisher's arrival, and that trend is likely to continue in 2020 and '21. A&M played host to a handful of elite prospects out of the Sunshine State over the weekend and came out of it looking like the team to beat for at least three top-tier targets.

One of the biggest storylines of the weekend had to do with the Ags' skyrocketing up Miami pass-rusher extraordinaire Donell Harris' list... Texas A&M is absolutely positioned as the team to beat for the game-changing edge rusher's services.

One of the biggest storylines of the weekend had to do with the Ags' skyrocketing up Miami pass-rusher extraordinaire Donell Harris‍‍' list. For those who don't know, Harris was a five-star 2021 prospect and a Miami commit about six weeks ago.  Since that time, he's decommitted from The U, reclassified to the Class of 2020 and is coming off of such a tremendous visit to Aggieland that he considered announcing an A&M pledge upon arriving back in Florida. Harris hasn't yet made the official call, but Texas A&M is absolutely positioned as the team to beat for the game-changing edge rusher's services.

It's still very early in the game, but the Aggies also look like a potential front-runner for both 2021 linebacker Terrence Lewis‍ of Miami powerhouse Northwestern High (where Fisher did plenty of work during his time in Tallahassee) and explosive all-purpose 2021 back Amari Daniels‍ of Miami's Central HS.

• An interesting way to look at things coming out of a busy weekend of recruiting movement for the Aggies? I'd say it's fair to chart A&M's progress with some of their top remaining targets in two ways. Prospects Jimbo Fisher and Co. probably made up the most ground and made the biggest move with would probably include Miami (FL) DE Donell Harris, East St. Louis (IL) S Antonio Johnson, Shadow Creek S Xavion Alford and Dallas Jesuit RB EJ Smith, in that order. As far as prospects I would have said the Ags already led for entering the weekend and, in some cases, have for some time now, it's safe to say A&M's position was strengthened significantly with guys like Memphis OL Chris Morris‍, Aldine MacArthur CB Josh Eaton, FB Marshall RB Devon Achane and Manor DE Princely Umanmielen‍. If you're wondering about Zach Evans, I've kind of got the North Shore tailback in his own category. Jimbo Fisher and the Ags are playing the long game with the nation's No. 1-ranked runner, and every exceptional visit like the one this past weekend only increases A&M's chances of reeling in the biggest fish out there.

• Current dream finish in the trenches for the Aggies?

1. Close out Chris Morris on the o-line when he visits Alabama weekend in early October (this one looks more likely than ever).

2. Eventually close out Princely Umanmielen at defensive end, probably sometime this fall (far from done but the Ags appear to be in a very good spot).

3. Pull off the mother of all coups and sign a borderline five-star pass rusher in Donell Harris (it'll be a wild ride until December but a pre-season commit is still very much in play).

4. Overtake and outlast Oklahoma (and whoever else) in the battle for the signature of Athens OT Garrett Hayes‍.

The good news? If Signing Day were tomorrow, I believe the three who were at the BBQ on Friday would ink with the Ags.

TexAgs

The Aggies continue to create problems for UT in recruiting, and many believe A&M could grab DT Omari Thomas out of Memphis.

• I mentioned this last week, but boy oh boy, are the Aggies becoming a potential thorn in the side of the Tennessee Volunteers and former Fisher assistant Jeremy Pruitt. Last cycle, it was the Ags pulling coveted linebacker Chris Russell out of the Vols' backyard late. Last month, it was Dallas Walker‍ and a monster Maroon & White win for Haynes King. Today? Memphis four-star Chris Morris is a definitive A&M lean and Antonio Johnson opens things up one day after leaving College Station. And I'm here to tell you that my sources in the real Orange and White are understandably nervous about A&M eventually winning the Omari Thomas‍ sweepstakes as well (the Vols think the Ags are their biggest threat when it comes to the four-star Memphis DT's signature).

• As we approach the final quarter or so of the 2020 recruiting marathon, there's really just one position that you'd say has to rate as a concern. The Ags are still very much in the hunt for five-star Noah Sewell‍, but the Utah product is still thought to be leaning heavily in favor of the Oregon Ducks. Beyond that, we're probably talking about Mike Elko and Bradley Dale Peveto having to rally to find at least one and perhaps even two more LBs to fill the need. A&M did a great job of finding a couple of potential gems in Chris Russell and KeShun Brown down the stretch for the 2019 class, and the Ags may have to do the same this time or the position will undoubtedly be Priority No. 1A and 1B in 2021.

• I thought having both Haynes King and Eli Stowers‍ on campus and together at the event was a great thing. It took a while, but we now have seen the value of having competition and good energy in a quarterback room. What Fisher and Darrell Dickey have done in terms of recruiting the most important position on the field cannot be understated as Texas A&M ascends the SEC mountain towards a championship. Good to see King on campus following his commit, too. He's going to attract a lot of skill talent to Aggieland from the '20 and '21 classes, and just having your quarterback on board, committed and recruiting for you is a good thing for the entire direction of a class.

Justin Schoenemann

2021 North Shore WR Shadrach Banks is scheduled to announce his commitment on August 1.

• As far as the 2021 class goes, the next domino to fall could still very well be North Shore WR Shadrach Banks‍. Banks has been on a visit tour that has included A&M, LSU, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Bama over the past week or so, but as of last check, he is still planning to announce a pledge on Thursday, and things still sound positive for the Maroon & White. If the Ags could breakthrough at North Shore and beat division rivals like LSU and Bama for a playmaking talent like Banks, his commit would be every bit as significant as opening things up with the quarterback pegged as No. 1 on the '21 wish list (Eli Stowers III).

• Quick comment: Don't forget about guys like Demond Demas (as if), Jaylon Jones‍ (should be a five star), Blake Smith‍, Josh Bankhead‍ and Akinola Ogunbiyi‍ as the Ags' Class of 2020 continues its top-10 and, perhaps, eventually top-5 climb. Those dudes are doing a remarkable job of recruiting for Coach Fisher and the Aggies, something that cannot be pointed out enough.

• Interesting recruiting sidebar: LSU just landed 2021 DE Landyn Watson‍ of Hutto, which is the third time in the '20 or '21 cycle that Ed O and the Tigers have taken a front seven recruit from the Lone Star State that the Aggies had not offered (2020's Josh White‍ and Alec Bryant‍ are the others). As far as '21 goes, the Ags' in-state focus seems locked in on guys like Tunmise Adeleye‍ of Katy Tompkins, the Pleasant Grove duo of Landon Jackson‍ and Marcus Burris‍, Denton Ryan's Ja'tavion SandersShemar Turner‍ of DeSoto and PA Memorial's Jordon Thomas‍.

• Okay, I did this last week but, as expected, a lot has transpired on the trail since then so let's do it again today. Here's my slightly updated 'Most likely to sign with A&M list':

1. Josh Eaton
2. Chris Morris
3. Donell Harris
4. Daniyel Ngata
5. Xavion Alford
6. Antonio Johnson
7. Devon Achane
8. Princely Umanmielen
9. Dontae Manning
10. Zach Evans
11. EJ Smith
12. Omari Thomas

• Finally, Howell wrote a short article about the late addition of Australian punter Nik Constantinou‍ yesterday and I thought I'd add a couple of notes and thoughts. First and foremost, I had a source tell me that Constantinou isn't 6-0, 190 but is actually 6-3 and nearly 230 pounds. He's a big dude with a very big leg. He'll have four years to play four so won't be able to redshirt next season. However, the Ags felt it was important to have a punter on campus this fall and it's fairly easy to understand why. Ray Guy Award winner Braden Mann is a senior and the Aggies will return a loaded squad in 2020...one capable of making a run at an SEC title and perhaps even more. In other words, getting Mann's hopeful replacement on campus and letting the Australian have a full season to work under the best in the college game while getting acclimated to American football should equal Constantinou being ready to step in and hit the ground running next fall. This is something that's been in the works for quite a while now and Nik is currently working through the red tape in hopes of being here in time for the start of fall camp later this week.

Billy was a little breathless with that one. Game changers, absolute steals, and my favorite about Devin Price:

44 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I haven't seen many prospects come as far as fast as what I've seen from the A&M legacy. If you watched Devin play (or even just saw him in person) two years ago, last year at this time and compared that to where he is today, it's like you're watching a different dude entirely.

Wow! a big difference between the player at 15 and 17 years of age. You almost never see that. It's a miracle! Imagine if he continues on that trend! His junior year as an Aggie, he'll be 6'9,' weigh 300 pounds and run a 4.1 40!

A nightmare match-up for linebackers, safeties, and God Himself!

56 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Billy. 

Reveal hidden contents

• First, some thoughts on the Aggies' lone commitment of the weekend - A&M Consolidated WR Devin Price‍:

As is the case with many 'expected' commits, Devin's commit didn't get as much run as it should have from various media outlets or perhaps even on the A&M-centric message boards (including the biggest and baddest of them all). Here's the best way I can put it when talking about the newest member of the Ags' Class of 2020:

As a three-star recruit, Devin Price is going to be looked at as an absolute steal in a couple of years for the Aggies. Look, he's younger than most members of his class and isn't close to filling out or probably even growing, so the local standout's best football is still at least a couple of years ahead of him. That said, I haven't seen many prospects come as far as fast as what I've seen from the A&M legacy. If you watched Devin play (or even just saw him in person) two years ago, last year at this time and compared that to where he is today, it's like you're watching a different dude entirely. He's gotten better in every area of the game - size, speed, playmaking skills and, perhaps more than anything, Devin is now a supremely confident player when he's on the field.

Tyler Zander, TexAgs

With long arms and an ability to get above defenders, Price has an impressive ability to come down with contested balls.

At over 6-3 and with long arms and good leaping ability, Price's catch radius is off the charts type stuff and, when it comes to locating the football and coming down with the contested catch, he may just be better than anyone in the state outside of Demond Demas‍. That and a feel for the game are strengths of Devin's game right now, and he's elite in both areas. A developmental prospect? If you wish, but I'm here to tell you I cannot wait to see what Price looks like after what should be a ridiculously productive senior season at Consol and a year to blossom under the watchful eyes of Dameyune Craig and Jerry Schmidt as either a redshirt or backup for the Aggies in 2020. I think we'll be talking about a 6-4, 220-pound outside receiver and absolute matchup nightmare in the red zone and on 50/50 balls. Price - who caught 46 passes for 799 yards and an eye-catching 14 touchdowns last season and has hauled in 21 TD grabs over the past two years - has got some Lil'Jordan Humphrey to his game if you don't mind the Longhorn comparison.

Price's addition means the Aggies are done at receiver in 2020, a class that is likely to rate among the most highly-regarded in the country. What a ridiculously strong haul for Craig, who went out and got exactly who he wanted this cycle.

• Don't look now, but there are suddenly a couple of very real and very exciting options for Mike Elko and Mo Linguist at safety. A couple of weeks ago, this was a position that had the potential to be a bit of a concern. Over the weekend, the Aggies played host to two of the nation's best in Shadow Creek playmaker Xavion Alford‍ (pictured above) and East St. Louis (IL) standout Antonio Johnson‍. 

Johnson decommitted from Tennessee on Sunday evening, something the Ags were expecting following a tremendous first visit to College Station. Word I'm hearing is that the 6-2, 185-pounder is likely to zero in on A&M and Alabama. If you'll remember, Fisher, Elko and Co. had reason to be very confident they could land Johnson earlier in the process for a reason. It's also worth noting that the four-star didn't decommit following a summer visit to Bama but did after tripping to Aggieland. File that one away as interesting/telling because it's the same thing fellow Midwest DB target Dontae Manning‍ did when he saw what A&M had to offer and decommitted from OU shortly after his visit.

Justin Schoenemann

A&M has prioritized Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford, who is also considering Alabama and LSU.

Xavion Alford's stock has soared throughout the summer and the Houston-area defender rates as a high-priority target for Fisher, Elko, Linguist and the Aggies. The Ags put their best foot forward this weekend and then some with a dynamic defensive back who is still mulling options that include LSU, Bama and A&M. Xavion has never really had any sort of set time frame for a decision, but the Aggies making a move up his list when they did could prove pivotal in the four-star cover man's recruitment. Fellow 'Fast 7' team members Leon O'Neal and Josh Eaton‍ (who will announce his decision on August 6) could go a long way here, as will proximity to home and the fact that the Ags don't have a safety committed.

Love the odds right now of the Ags landing at least one of these two elite safety targets at some point not too far down the road. Land both plus Josh Eaton and Dontae Manning to go along with Jaylon Jones and Joshuah Moten and you're talking about a top 3-5 DB haul in the country in 2020.

• Safety, quarterback and running back. Three positions some of you (we know who you are) were in a borderline panic-stricken state about as recently as earlier this month. Haynes King‍'s commitment turned a question mark into an exclamation point at QB and significant progress (perhaps even a push to the top with both players) was made at safety this weekend. How things will play out at the tailback spot might just be the most interesting follow between now and National Signing Day. A&M has as good a chance as teams like LSU, Bama and Georgia at eventually landing Zach Evans‍, and the Ags have what I would consider an excellent chance at landing Daniyel Ngata‍ (we're hearing he's very close) and Devon Achane‍. EJ Smith‍ isn't one to tip his hand, but the son of NFL legend Emmitt Smith is coming off of an outstanding College Station visit, and we're in the middle of seeing Fisher, Jay Graham and the Ags making a furious push for the Dallas-area RB's services. Should be fascinating to see how things play out in the backfield.

• Not surprisingly, the Ags have done a great job of recruiting Florida since Jimbo Fisher's arrival, and that trend is likely to continue in 2020 and '21. A&M played host to a handful of elite prospects out of the Sunshine State over the weekend and came out of it looking like the team to beat for at least three top-tier targets.

One of the biggest storylines of the weekend had to do with the Ags' skyrocketing up Miami pass-rusher extraordinaire Donell Harris' list... Texas A&M is absolutely positioned as the team to beat for the game-changing edge rusher's services.

One of the biggest storylines of the weekend had to do with the Ags' skyrocketing up Miami pass-rusher extraordinaire Donell Harris‍‍' list. For those who don't know, Harris was a five-star 2021 prospect and a Miami commit about six weeks ago.  Since that time, he's decommitted from The U, reclassified to the Class of 2020 and is coming off of such a tremendous visit to Aggieland that he considered announcing an A&M pledge upon arriving back in Florida. Harris hasn't yet made the official call, but Texas A&M is absolutely positioned as the team to beat for the game-changing edge rusher's services.

It's still very early in the game, but the Aggies also look like a potential front-runner for both 2021 linebacker Terrence Lewis‍ of Miami powerhouse Northwestern High (where Fisher did plenty of work during his time in Tallahassee) and explosive all-purpose 2021 back Amari Daniels‍ of Miami's Central HS.

• An interesting way to look at things coming out of a busy weekend of recruiting movement for the Aggies? I'd say it's fair to chart A&M's progress with some of their top remaining targets in two ways. Prospects Jimbo Fisher and Co. probably made up the most ground and made the biggest move with would probably include Miami (FL) DE Donell Harris, East St. Louis (IL) S Antonio Johnson, Shadow Creek S Xavion Alford and Dallas Jesuit RB EJ Smith, in that order. As far as prospects I would have said the Ags already led for entering the weekend and, in some cases, have for some time now, it's safe to say A&M's position was strengthened significantly with guys like Memphis OL Chris Morris‍, Aldine MacArthur CB Josh Eaton, FB Marshall RB Devon Achane and Manor DE Princely Umanmielen‍. If you're wondering about Zach Evans, I've kind of got the North Shore tailback in his own category. Jimbo Fisher and the Ags are playing the long game with the nation's No. 1-ranked runner, and every exceptional visit like the one this past weekend only increases A&M's chances of reeling in the biggest fish out there.

• Current dream finish in the trenches for the Aggies?

1. Close out Chris Morris on the o-line when he visits Alabama weekend in early October (this one looks more likely than ever).

2. Eventually close out Princely Umanmielen at defensive end, probably sometime this fall (far from done but the Ags appear to be in a very good spot).

3. Pull off the mother of all coups and sign a borderline five-star pass rusher in Donell Harris (it'll be a wild ride until December but a pre-season commit is still very much in play).

4. Overtake and outlast Oklahoma (and whoever else) in the battle for the signature of Athens OT Garrett Hayes‍.

The good news? If Signing Day were tomorrow, I believe the three who were at the BBQ on Friday would ink with the Ags.

TexAgs

The Aggies continue to create problems for UT in recruiting, and many believe A&M could grab DT Omari Thomas out of Memphis.

• I mentioned this last week, but boy oh boy, are the Aggies becoming a potential thorn in the side of the Tennessee Volunteers and former Fisher assistant Jeremy Pruitt. Last cycle, it was the Ags pulling coveted linebacker Chris Russell out of the Vols' backyard late. Last month, it was Dallas Walker‍ and a monster Maroon & White win for Haynes King. Today? Memphis four-star Chris Morris is a definitive A&M lean and Antonio Johnson opens things up one day after leaving College Station. And I'm here to tell you that my sources in the real Orange and White are understandably nervous about A&M eventually winning the Omari Thomas‍ sweepstakes as well (the Vols think the Ags are their biggest threat when it comes to the four-star Memphis DT's signature).

• As we approach the final quarter or so of the 2020 recruiting marathon, there's really just one position that you'd say has to rate as a concern. The Ags are still very much in the hunt for five-star Noah Sewell‍, but the Utah product is still thought to be leaning heavily in favor of the Oregon Ducks. Beyond that, we're probably talking about Mike Elko and Bradley Dale Peveto having to rally to find at least one and perhaps even two more LBs to fill the need. A&M did a great job of finding a couple of potential gems in Chris Russell and KeShun Brown down the stretch for the 2019 class, and the Ags may have to do the same this time or the position will undoubtedly be Priority No. 1A and 1B in 2021.

• I thought having both Haynes King and Eli Stowers‍ on campus and together at the event was a great thing. It took a while, but we now have seen the value of having competition and good energy in a quarterback room. What Fisher and Darrell Dickey have done in terms of recruiting the most important position on the field cannot be understated as Texas A&M ascends the SEC mountain towards a championship. Good to see King on campus following his commit, too. He's going to attract a lot of skill talent to Aggieland from the '20 and '21 classes, and just having your quarterback on board, committed and recruiting for you is a good thing for the entire direction of a class.

Justin Schoenemann

2021 North Shore WR Shadrach Banks is scheduled to announce his commitment on August 1.

• As far as the 2021 class goes, the next domino to fall could still very well be North Shore WR Shadrach Banks‍. Banks has been on a visit tour that has included A&M, LSU, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Bama over the past week or so, but as of last check, he is still planning to announce a pledge on Thursday, and things still sound positive for the Maroon & White. If the Ags could breakthrough at North Shore and beat division rivals like LSU and Bama for a playmaking talent like Banks, his commit would be every bit as significant as opening things up with the quarterback pegged as No. 1 on the '21 wish list (Eli Stowers III).

• Quick comment: Don't forget about guys like Demond Demas (as if), Jaylon Jones‍ (should be a five star), Blake Smith‍, Josh Bankhead‍ and Akinola Ogunbiyi‍ as the Ags' Class of 2020 continues its top-10 and, perhaps, eventually top-5 climb. Those dudes are doing a remarkable job of recruiting for Coach Fisher and the Aggies, something that cannot be pointed out enough.

• Interesting recruiting sidebar: LSU just landed 2021 DE Landyn Watson‍ of Hutto, which is the third time in the '20 or '21 cycle that Ed O and the Tigers have taken a front seven recruit from the Lone Star State that the Aggies had not offered (2020's Josh White‍ and Alec Bryant‍ are the others). As far as '21 goes, the Ags' in-state focus seems locked in on guys like Tunmise Adeleye‍ of Katy Tompkins, the Pleasant Grove duo of Landon Jackson‍ and Marcus Burris‍, Denton Ryan's Ja'tavion SandersShemar Turner‍ of DeSoto and PA Memorial's Jordon Thomas‍.

• Okay, I did this last week but, as expected, a lot has transpired on the trail since then so let's do it again today. Here's my slightly updated 'Most likely to sign with A&M list':

1. Josh Eaton
2. Chris Morris
3. Donell Harris
4. Daniyel Ngata
5. Xavion Alford
6. Antonio Johnson
7. Devon Achane
8. Princely Umanmielen
9. Dontae Manning
10. Zach Evans
11. EJ Smith
12. Omari Thomas

• Finally, Howell wrote a short article about the late addition of Australian punter Nik Constantinou‍ yesterday and I thought I'd add a couple of notes and thoughts. First and foremost, I had a source tell me that Constantinou isn't 6-0, 190 but is actually 6-3 and nearly 230 pounds. He's a big dude with a very big leg. He'll have four years to play four so won't be able to redshirt next season. However, the Ags felt it was important to have a punter on campus this fall and it's fairly easy to understand why. Ray Guy Award winner Braden Mann is a senior and the Aggies will return a loaded squad in 2020...one capable of making a run at an SEC title and perhaps even more. In other words, getting Mann's hopeful replacement on campus and letting the Australian have a full season to work under the best in the college game while getting acclimated to American football should equal Constantinou being ready to step in and hit the ground running next fall. This is something that's been in the works for quite a while now and Nik is currently working through the red tape in hopes of being here in time for the start of fall camp later this week.

And now for a quick look-in at TexAgs headquarters...

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Billy was a little breathless with that one. Game changers, absolute steals, and my favorite about Devin Price:

Wow! a big difference between the player at 15 and 17 years of age. You almost never see that. It's a miracle! Imagine if he continues on that trend! His junior year as an Aggie, he'll be 6'9,' weigh 300 pounds and run a 4.1 40!

A nightmare match-up for linebackers, safeties, and God Himself! 

You forgot the lightning bolts shooting from his arse.