NERD SHIT RECRUITING EDITION

Bevo14

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Gross. What atrocities did our graphics people commit in their last lives to get saddled with Macs?

Essentially every creative uses Macs. Almost every kind of design software (especially Adobe suite) is better optimized for them.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Essentially every creative uses Macs. Almost every kind of design software (especially Adobe suite) is better optimized for them.

Eh I'm sure the money they're paying for those could buy a PC that would eat up any kind of design software with ease and has functionally faster hardware.

Edited by Bevo14

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Eh I'm sure the money they're paying for those could buy a PC that would eat up any kind of design software with ease.

nerds GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Gross. What atrocities did our graphics people commit in their last lives to get saddled with Macs?

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Eh I'm sure the money they're paying for those could buy a PC that would eat up any kind of design software with ease.

The Nerdery....is that way ------->

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Eh I'm sure the money they're paying for those could buy a PC that would eat up any kind of design software with ease and has functionally faster hardware.

I am a converted windows user to Mac, they are superior in just about every way to windows. Our company won't even let us have Microsoft office without a business case, it's a brave new world oldster. 

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

If you have a graphics team using PCs you hired your friends gamer kid to do half assed work. Macs are the tools of the trade and things like specs don't matter. 

Danny Devito No GIF by reactionseditor

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Graphics talk not going away

Sorry. Was just trying to troll Steve Jobs aka @immamac . It is a shitty, severely overpriced product with a terrible closed-off OS that apparently possesses magical powers when it comes to design work but that's besides the point.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sorry. Was just trying to troll Steve Jobs aka @immamac . It is a shitty, severely overpriced product with a terrible closed-off OS that apparently possesses magical powers when it comes to design work but that's besides the point.

It's designed so stupid people can use it easily. Those people all go into creative jobs

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sorry. Was just trying to troll Steve Jobs aka @immamac . It is a shitty, severely overpriced product with a terrible closed-off OS but apparently possesses magical powers when it comes to design work but that's besides the point.

Great for graphics, shit for data or analytics work.  For years the Mac port had a rounding error in one of the mainstream statistical analysis platforms, if that tells you anything. If you want to do simulations, large scale optimization or any detailed analytics you are better off with a PC..

Edited by Laxtonto
Autocorrect is a cunt
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

actually it is the hardware design of MACs that makes them superior for graphics

graphics uses a lot of floating point numbers and MACs handle those much better than PCs that handle whole numbers better and need graphics cards to pass floating point graphics calculations over to.......which is the same reason that crypto mining computers are made up of bunches of graphics cards linked together in a node and then those nodes networked together.....because crypot mining involves millions and millions of floating point calculations to find large prime numbers

• Hook 'Em 3

actually it is the hardware design of MACs that makes them superior for graphics
graphics uses a lot of floating point numbers and MACs handle those much better than PCs that handle whole numbers better and need graphics cards to pass floating point graphics calculations over to.......which is the same reason that crypto mining computers are made up of bunches of graphics cards linked together in a node and then those nodes networked together.....because crypot mining involves millions and millions of floating point calculations to find large prime numbers
Ehh, you sure? Thought Apple doing proprietary hardware ended a long time ago..

Just now, ousux said:
8 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

but thunderbolt allows fast transfers to the graphics (math) co-processor

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

but thunderbolt allows fast transfers to the graphics (math) co-processor

only if there's an external graphics card, which most people don't use.  internally it's all just pcie (which is what thunderbolt is, tho it doesn't run at the same bandwidth as internal is capable of)

3 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the mac pro has some proprietary hardware in the form of available dual AMD vega graphics card(s) (which has probably been eclipsed by the latest nvidia).  it also has a custom prores raw decoder available (afterburner).  getting both those things starts at $13,200.  people banging away on laptops don't have those, though.

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Great for graphics, shit for data or analytics work.  For years the Mac port had a rounding error in one of the mainstream statistical analysis platforms, if that tells you anything. If you want to do simulations, large scale optimization or any detailed analytics you are better off with a PC..

Every time one of my students sends me an unreadable spreadsheet, the first question I ask is, "Were you using a Mac?"

95% of the time, the answer is Yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Every time one of my students sends me an unreadable spreadsheet, the first question I ask is, "Were you using a Mac?"

95% of the time, the answer is Yes.

Preaching to the choir man...

Trying to grade Mac versions of Excel is a hell I wish upon no professor or even TA

12 hours ago, ousux said:
13 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

They build their own chips now