Bourbon

Jimbaround

I blind tasted Disco 2/3/4 with two friends and we all ended up picking 2 as our favorite. I was surprised as hell, but all three are so damn good that the results could and likely would be different if we did it again.

I had my first pour of 5 last night, so I need more time with it. That said, I’m not impressed they cheaped out on the topper and cork. It’s nowhere near as dense and they switched from cork to synthetic. It doesn’t affect the bourbon, but definitely detracts from it feeling like a premium bottle.

I finally tried Whistle Pig 12 year yesterday.  It did not suck.  Honestly, if you gave me a blind taste test with that and a couple of middle of the road bourbons and asked me which one was the rye, I'm not sure I could have picked it out.

And yes, I know this is rye talk on the bourbon thread.  Sue me.

10 hours ago, RichUT said:

I blind tasted Disco 2/3/4 with two friends and we all ended up picking 2 as our favorite. I was surprised as hell, but all three are so damn good that the results could and likely would be different if we did it again.

I had my first pour of 5 last night, so I need more time with it. That said, I’m not impressed they cheaped out on the topper and cork. It’s nowhere near as dense and they switched from cork to synthetic. It doesn’t affect the bourbon, but definitely detracts from it feeling like a premium bottle.

I just noticed the topper weight. It’s substantial. But secured my backup today. Didn’t realize til this morning I went through half the damn bottle Friday night. 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

On some national threads, I'm seeing posters bitching about how Four Roses Small Batch Select is starting to become hard to find in some states

Still see it everywhere in Houston though 

Yeah, it's everywhere here. I'm not particularly a fan of SBS at that price point.  It's fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i have tried all the heavens door offerings, and they are all decent but not noteworthy.  i try everything once.  

Thanks.  After I posted, I sniffed around on the internets and saw that avg MSRP is $500??  Guess I won't be making old fashioneds with this stuff.

Told myself I was done standing in lines. Done. Too much other good stuff I can grab at my convenience. Yet here I am, like I said I wouldn’t, standing 25th in line 40 minutes before opening at High West for today’s release (wife in tow, obviously). Special release Valley Tan finished in white port wine barrels, you better be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope yours is better than mine, but pretty sure mine wasn’t finished in port.

Was a drain pour but a sexy bottle with the wash they put on it.

Hope yours is better than mine, but pretty sure mine wasn’t finished in port.

Was a drain pour but a sexy bottle with the wash they put on it.

You referring to one of the other port finish offerings? This was the Valley Tan in white port wine barrels they just released at the distillery on Saturday for Pioneer Days. Didn’t have the soapy finish on the glass for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landed an ECBP store pick from Skip’s in New Braunfels. It was a preorder, but the barrel should come in next month, hopefully. 

ECBP is definitely one of the most undervalued bottles on the market and I can’t wait to compare this pick to the regular A/B/C batches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had my second pour of Disco 5 last night. My opinion of it is trending down. I’m one of the bigger Bardstown fans among the guys I drink with, but there is something a little off with this one. It was very tannic and a little too oak forward. It must be the Dickel component throwing me off.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

Had my second pour of Disco 5 last night. My opinion of it is trending down. I’m one of the bigger Bardstown fans among the guys I drink with, but there is something a little off with this one. It was very tannic and a little too oak forward. It must be the Dickel component throwing me off.

Thank you for saving me hundreds of dollars. 

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Is this worth the going price?

I bought this one in probably November 2018. 

It’s very good. I had trouble putting my finger on what it was. After a few pours it reminded me of Sam Houston 14, so I assume it’s a Barton. Really good, well aged, 120 proof Barton. 

I’d buy it if you needed something nice in a pinch. Wedding, bachelor party, anniversary, graduation. I bought it as a BTAC/ Pappy back up in 2018 with the thought that I’d strike out and need something to drink on Christmas Eve. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

I bought the Blue Note 17 year. Did not like it. I'm pretty sure that's the Dickel in Disco 5. I agree with you, pretty disappointed after a couple of pours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I bought the Blue Note 17 year. Did not like it. I'm pretty sure that's the Dickel in Disco 5. I agree with you, pretty disappointed after a couple of pours. 

Did you get a pick or a rando?  I like the pick I got from Alamo City and I’m no sort of Dickel apologist.  I also like the 11 Year Dickel BiB but hate most of the rest of their stuff.