UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Even if Beard goes to UNC, there are plenty of good candidates like Kelvin Sampson, Pitino, Wayne Tinkel, and Porter Moser. It's not like we have to go find a Mike Woodson

No, no, no, no.

You have terrible choices.  Please set your list on fire.  

Wayne fucking Tinkle.  The guy with one good run who has finished 7th, 6th, 12th, 10th, 4th, 8th and 6th in the Pac 12.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No, no, no, no.

You have terrible choices.  Please set your list on fire.  

Wayne fucking Tinkle.  The guy with one good run who has finished 7th, 6th, 12th, 10th, 4th, 8th and 6th in the Pac 12.

Bro Sampson got UH into the Final Four. And Rick Pitino took Iona to the tourney in his first year. Who gives a shit about their past 

• Fuck You 2
1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Bro Sampson got UH into the Final Four. And Rick Pitino took Iona to the tourney in his first year. Who gives a shit about their past 

Jesus please shut the fuck up about Sampson. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Wow, Pitino took Iona to the tournament?  I can't even imagine that! 

The team that made the NCAAs in 2012, 2013 and 2016-2019?

WELL HIRE HIM!!! 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Look, if you want to stage a coup and usurp Del Conte, Hartzell, and Eltife, go for it. Until then, we are not hiring Sampson (not to mention his $12M buyout) or Rick Pitino.

I'm not too worried about Beard to UNC. I don't think that is the style they are looking for. Plus they seem to like keeping it in the UNC family. 

Wes Miller to UNC?  Probably a stretch, but he is an alumni, only 38, and has won the Southern Conference 3 of the last 5 years, going 105-42 (71.4%).

Mark Turgeon is from the Roy Williams coaching tree and could be a candidate. Yesterday he said he's not interested in the OU job, so maybe he had forewarning about Roy retiring.  He has only done "ok" though at Maryland, going 105-79 in the Big 10 and winning the conference once in 7 years.

So UNC offers Beard $5MM/ year and he giggles...

He’s going to be a lot more expensive than he would have been a week ago, no matter where he goes/ stays.

UT should have paid the $5MM buyout when they had the chance.

• Hook 'Em 2
22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Even if Beard goes to UNC, there are plenty of good candidates like Kelvin Sampson, Pitino, Wayne Tinkel, and Porter Moser. It's not like we have to go find a Mike Woodson

Again, we really need a wtf emoji or at least a look of disgust emoji.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

He’s going to be a lot more expensive than he would have been a week ago, no matter where he goes/ stays.

Agree with this take

Or he pulls a UNLV on us and leaves for UNC immediately.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I see you’ve never been to macaroni grill

I read this right after "Ain't no way a single girl can beat off 5 dudes" and was all wtf have I been missing at Macaroni Grill all these years?

• Hook 'Em 2

Hard to disagree with this logic.  However, Roy Williams likely did not wake up this morning and decide to retire.  This must have been in the works for some time; agents, reps working back-channels.  Beard's reps must have known this was happening before today...

Just now, Thiefery said:

UNC isn't going to hire Beard..  This wasn't a retirement surprise, I'm sure they have been knowing this

I'm more in this camp, but at the same time, it isn't a surprise to them and there hadn't been leaks/names thrown out as potential successors 

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm not too worried about Beard to UNC. I don't think that is the style they are looking for. Plus they seem to like keeping it in the UNC family. 

Wes Miller to UNC?  Probably a stretch, but he is an alumni, only 38, and has won the Southern Conference 3 of the last 5 years, going 105-42 (71.4%).

Mark Turgeon is from the Roy Williams coaching tree and could be a candidate. Yesterday he said he's not interested in the OU job, so maybe he had forewarning about Roy retiring.  He has only done "ok" though at Maryland, going 105-79 in the Big 10 and winning the conference once in 7 years.

MJ is available.

1 minute ago, boilerhorn said:

Hard to disagree with this logic.  However, Roy Williams likely did not wake up this morning and decide to retire.  This must have been in the works for some time; agents, reps working back-channels.  Beard's reps must have known this was happening before today...

April 1 gives him a 30 day window for his UNC system HR paperwork and whatnot to work. My guess is that this was known in the last 2 weeks and they planned to announce it today for both the PR and HR reasons...

Real spontaneous retirements don’t happen the first calendar day of a new month...

4 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

The timing is interesting for sure

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

April 1 gives him a 30 day window for his UNC system HR paperwork and whatnot to work. My guess is that this was known in the last 2 weeks  YEARS and they planned to announce it today for both the PR and HR reasons...

Real spontaneous retirements don’t happen the first calendar day of a new month...

fify

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You worried that Jesus will be all snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug in his man cave already by the time the news breaks and that he won't hear about it until Sunday?

Technically, state employees have Friday afternoon off.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Does anyone actually think this wasn't known in the coaching and Agent circles for a while now?  Roy didn't just drop this bomb on UNC today.   I guarantee every Agent knew this was a possibility for weeks and knew it was happening definitively for days now.  Cmon people.

Edited by Skipper