2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

Wow, he’s a real idiot then.  I think one could see that play and wish he had scored, but really, with the angle Schooler had and other DB preventing a cutback, no one was going to score.  However “Texas has to play him” is idiocy.  As if to begrudgingly admit that he’s a serviceable back. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This poor kid 's development has been fucked over by two different coaching staffs and more OL coaches than I can remember.  First Strong played him as a true freshman when he should have redshirted. Then Herman made the smart decision to redshirt him, but then kept him at tackle, where he never had the feet for it to begin with. I'm glad he's stuck around and I hope he has a great season.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Nuge said:

Jason Caviness - "I am a moron and my shit's all regarded."

Unfortunately, this phrase identifies Jason as Shaggy if not Surly.

The dude y'all are going on about, Caviness, used to post as "JAYCAV" in the GoBig12 days, as well as on Hornfans. He was a loudmouthed idiot then, and he looks like he still is today. His posts were like the equivalent of the sports radio calls in Houston from the dude "Brad in Memorial" or wherever. Just certain, whiny, negative, shrieky, and wrong. Those two clowns are probably twins. The next time JAYCAV writes something interesting and on point will be the first. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

(Eric Nahlin) Notes from Thursday's practice

Spoiler

-The offensive line had a very strong day on Tuesday, their best day of the spring. That was not the case today. Some of that is due to scheming as Pete Kwiatkowski dialed things up a little bit more than he has previously.

-Christian Jones is improving and right now he’s the odds-on favorite to hold on to left tackle. More on him in the Humidor.

-Andrej Karic is still the No. 1 right tackle with Isaiah Hookfin behind him. Tope Imade has returned and is also getting reps at right tackle. The coaches want to see what he can do there, but Imade is a much better fit at guard. The coaches also like what they’ve seen from Jaylen Garth at left tackle. He might still be a year away.

-The quarterbacks split reps, the same thing they’ve done all of spring practice. Nobody is standing out at this point. One guy will be with the ones in one drill, then the next drill the other guy will take the first reps. They’ve both been given an even chance to win the job, somebody just has to take it.

-There isn’t a true deep threat in the passing game at wide receiver right now and that is hurting both quarterbacks.

-Josh Thompson was out with a slight hamstring aggravation. In his place was Darion Dunn and he looked solid today. That said, outside receivers have not proven to be consistently dangerous downfield.

-Kitan Crawford is still behind D’Shawn Jamison but he continues to impress. He shows a bright future and is effective on corner blitzes.

-Luke Brockermeyer and Jaylan Ford are going back and forth at the Will inside linebacker spot. Brockermeyer is much faster than he is given credit for. His head is still swimming when he is introduced to something new, as expected for someone who hasn’t had many opportunities prior to this spring, but he belongs. He notched an interception in today’s practice.

-David Gbenda is still the best linebacker with DeMarvion Overshown out. There’s a good chance Gbenda and Overshown are the starting LBs but we’re also watching the portal.

-We’ve had concerns about Malcolm Epps transferring after graduating in May. Our concerns are now greater.

-Freshman LB Terrance Cooks is proving to be as athletic as we thought he was in high school. His athleticism best lends itself to blitzing or coming off the edge right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I would have no issue if Epps takes his "I can't beat a 5'5" CB off the line" ass and transferred out. Soft overall and consistent disappointment. Guy could have really locked down a TE spot if he could play like he looks.

Yeah "concern" isn't the word I'd use

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I would have no issue if Epps takes his "I can't beat a 5'5" CB off the line" ass and transferred out. Soft overall and consistent disappointment. Guy could have really locked down a TE spot if he could play like he looks.

Epps is a senior looking up at two guys ahead of him on the depth chart and might be neck and neck with two freshman early enrollees to even be #3. This summer we'll add Liebrock and maybe Sanders to that group. Yeah honestly he probably should transfer. 

If he does it early enough to open another scholarship for a grad transfer WR, OL, or LB even better. 

Edited by UncleSonny
guess he's not actually a senior, but still

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We have space in the 85; the restrictions are from the 25-man class counter.

Thanks, I thought some of that was suspended with the COVID year but I'm not clear where the NCAA landed with everything. 

Apologies if this has been covered but where are we on the 25? We signed 21 and added Dunn and Thornton. Oghoufo and the Bama transfer are assumed to still be on the way so that would be 25 but we should be able to count some of the early enrollees back to the 2020 class, correct? 

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Eric Nahlin) Notes from Thursday's practice

Reveal hidden contents

-The offensive line had a very strong day on Tuesday, their best day of the spring. That was not the case today. Some of that is due to scheming as Pete Kwiatkowski dialed things up a little bit more than he has previously.

-Christian Jones is improving and right now he’s the odds-on favorite to hold on to left tackle. More on him in the Humidor.

-Andrej Karic is still the No. 1 right tackle with Isaiah Hookfin behind him. Tope Imade has returned and is also getting reps at right tackle. The coaches want to see what he can do there, but Imade is a much better fit at guard. The coaches also like what they’ve seen from Jaylen Garth at left tackle. He might still be a year away.

-The quarterbacks split reps, the same thing they’ve done all of spring practice. Nobody is standing out at this point. One guy will be with the ones in one drill, then the next drill the other guy will take the first reps. They’ve both been given an even chance to win the job, somebody just has to take it.

-There isn’t a true deep threat in the passing game at wide receiver right now and that is hurting both quarterbacks.

-Josh Thompson was out with a slight hamstring aggravation. In his place was Darion Dunn and he looked solid today. That said, outside receivers have not proven to be consistently dangerous downfield.

-Kitan Crawford is still behind D’Shawn Jamison but he continues to impress. He shows a bright future and is effective on corner blitzes.

-Luke Brockermeyer and Jaylan Ford are going back and forth at the Will inside linebacker spot. Brockermeyer is much faster than he is given credit for. His head is still swimming when he is introduced to something new, as expected for someone who hasn’t had many opportunities prior to this spring, but he belongs. He notched an interception in today’s practice.

-David Gbenda is still the best linebacker with DeMarvion Overshown out. There’s a good chance Gbenda and Overshown are the starting LBs but we’re also watching the portal.

-We’ve had concerns about Malcolm Epps transferring after graduating in May. Our concerns are now greater.

-Freshman LB Terrance Cooks is proving to be as athletic as we thought he was in high school. His athleticism best lends itself to blitzing or coming off the edge right now.

I'm assuming they mean they're concerned that he's not going to transfer, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

“Texas has to play him”

wtf does that even mean?

You're not disappointed we have such a generational talent at RB that we can't rotate between three shitty RBs instead?

1 hour ago, Viper said:

does not have the speed? are aggies still going off that bad 40 time from Bijan's sophomore year in high school where he ran against wind?

Bijan doesn't have good speed for a RB. Everything else is elite though so it doesn't really matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Thanks, I thought some of that was suspended with the COVID year but I'm not clear where the NCAA landed with everything. 

Apologies if this has been covered but where are we on the 25? We signed 21 and added Dunn and Thornton. Oghoufo and the Bama transfer are assumed to still be on the way so that would be 25 but we should be able to count some of the early enrollees back to the 2020 class, correct? 

I think adding Ovie left us with three spots, and then adding Davis would leave two. Adding Worthy and another would have us full. 

Tin foil hat time: 

multiple sites are quoting Okafor in his media availability, saying that 'Casey is getting most of the reps with the 1's.'

The media availability video is edited at 1:31 and that quote is cut out... 

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

• Hook 'Em 2