Kamala Harris 2021

GRHorn

On 4/24/2021 at 7:37 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Around 15 GOP Senator types traveled to Texas and mucked around and yucked around with BP, etc and took video, posed for photos, etc. Something that was done during the former President's administration by Democratic politicians pointing out issues with the facilities.

What exactly is it that people want the VP to do? Travel there for a photo op along with SS and everyone else?

Or roll up the sleeves and get things done administratively, which is what the current President and VP are attempting to do. COVID was and continues to be the first hurdle. 200 million shots given by the end of April. The virus doesn't recognize borders, however.

Concurrently, officials are setting up a program so that families are reunited, renovated and upgraded facilities and continue to do so where children are being held, not allowing undocumented immigrants to stay due to COVID concerns at the border (3000 arrested per day beginning in Janurary)

Specifically, Vice-president Harris is handling the diplomacy with the countries involved with the crisis, such as Mexico, and the Central American countries from which many migrants come. That is typically what VPs do. It has been stated repeatedly that the President and Vice President believe one of the goals for immigration reform is to assist our neighbors with policy that reduces reasons for them to travel so far to seek safety from harm at home.

If you're looking for her to grab a GoPro and wade through some brush like Ted, I don't think that's going to happen.

She's supposed to act very concerned.  Take a trip, ask many concerned questions.  Show some leadership, like Donald.

Oh.  Wait.

47 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

*GASP* Can't believe this turned out to be incorrect.  Kashuv and the NY Post are usually rock solid.  

Interesting history of that article.  It was posted originally at Fox News, nothing particularly hysterical, noted that the origin of the book was not clear.  Then the article was up at NYP, similar content, but hysterical headline.  Then credulous liar Kashuv took it to 11.

The person who wrote the article for the NY Post is resigning because she was apparently forced to write the article despite her misgivings. Guarantee @GRHorn will keep on reading and posting articles from NY Post despite the obvious evidence NY Post is essentially a GOP Pravda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

The person who wrote the article for the NY Post is resigning because she was apparently forced to write the article despite her misgivings. Guarantee @GRHorn will keep on reading and posting articles from NY Post despite the obvious evidence NY Post is essentially a GOP Pravda. 

Yeesh.

The retraction/correction from NYP is different, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:

Yeah it’s a bad look.

How long should I go without posting NY Post articles? Should I just wait as long as posters here did before posting MSM outlet scoops again following Trump “bombshells” that weren’t true? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah it’s a bad look.

How long should I go without posting NY Post articles? Should I just wait as long as posters here did before posting MSM outlet scoops again following Trump “bombshells” that weren’t true? 

Are there liberal periodicals where the author resigns after being forced to write a slanted article they didn't want to publish in the first place? If so, feel free to reveal them.

You understand there's a big difference between a publication getting a story wrong and a publication publishing a story they knew before publishing was wrong, or at least had serious doubts of, as in the case of this NY Post story, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

Are there liberal periodicals where the author resigns after being forced to write a slanted article they didn't want to publish in the first place? If so, feel free to reveal them.

You understand there's a big difference between a publication getting a story wrong and a publication publishing a story they knew before publishing was wrong, or at least had serious doubts of, as in the case of this NY Post story, right?

I’m not aware of an instance of being “forced” to publish something. There’s other varieties of coordinated media malfeasance though. How about people that repeatedly produce false or misleading content but somehow continue upward climb through mainstream media hierarchy? 

• Fuck You 2

12 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not aware of an instance of being “forced” to publish something. There’s other varieties of coordinated media malfeasance though. How about people that repeatedly produce false or misleading content but somehow continue upward climb through mainstream media hierarchy? 

"greenwald.substack.com...."

Please, keep it up GRHorn.  You're doing great!

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

"greenwald.substack.com...."

Please, keep it up GRHorn.  You're doing great!

Since you don’t like the source and therefore refuse to engage, like a simpleton, here’s a tweet thread that might help. It’s from a Republican, though. 😬 

Sorry long thread. Including a link to a WaPo piece that might be unsettling to you. 😬 But this girl keeps moving around and up the ladder. 

• Fuck You 2

My god, you are embarrassing yourself when all you had to do was acknowledge the NYP story was wrong, poorly sourced and shouldn’t have been posted and you believed it without hesitation bc you have an agenda. 

Let it go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My god, you are embarrassing yourself when all you had to do was acknowledge the NYP story was wrong, poorly sourced and shouldn’t have been posted and you believed it without hesitation bc you have an agenda. 

Let it go. 

I did. I was duped. It happens. Fortunately it was a funny, but inconsequential story. 

How many things were posted here without hesitation because of an agenda the last 4 years that ended up being false? That actually involved national security etc? Chasing Trump’s shadow. Get over yourselves. 

• Fuck You 1

Probably not similar, I do not know. This woman is so smart, and so appealing, I go tharn, and can’t follow any other thought. But Bari Weiss resigned from the NYT because they pissed her off. I’m not defending her, nor credibly accusing the NYT.  Just saying there was a dust up, claims of something bad, and she makes me dumb.

image.jpeg

On 4/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, LW Goatman said:

I didn’t say after she was picked for VP, when people’s hands are forced. She wasn’t popular, that’s just the way it is.

I would like to see her doing something at the border, as the VP who was hand picked by the President to handle. This is a huge fucking deal. Do you think she is doing a good job handling the illegal immigration border crisis?

what illegal immigration border crisis?

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

what illegal immigration border crisis?

Number of children held in Border Patrol facilities drops 84% since peak last month

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/29/politics/border-patrol-unaccompanied-minors/index.html

Spoiler

CNN)The number of unaccompanied migrant children held in jail-like conditions by US Customs and Border Protection dropped nearly 84% in the span of a month, according to a White House official, underscoring the significant progress made by the administration after reaching record high custody figures.

As of Wednesday, there were 954 children in CBP facilities, down from a peak of 5,767 on March 28, the official told CNN, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak on the record.

The volume of arrivals weeks into President Joe Biden taking office, combined with an unprepared administration, left thousands of children languishing in Border Patrol facilities often for longer than the 72-hour limit set by federal law. In some cases, children were alternating schedules to make space for one another in confined facilities and taking turns showering, often going days without one, while others hadn't seen the sunlight in days.

The Biden administration fielded a flurry of criticism from Republicans who blamed the influx of migrants at the border on the President's immigration policies. Against the backdrop of migrants in overcrowded conditions along the border, officials refused to call the situation a "crisis," describing it instead as a challenge. 

In an interview with NBC News this week, Biden suggested that the situation with unaccompanied children is now under control, saying, "It's way down now. We've now gotten control," and touted "significant change in the circumstances for children to and at the border."

In recent weeks, the Department of Health and Human Services, which is responsible for the care of migrant children, has opened up a string of temporary shelters to accommodate minors. That's allowed for an increasing number of children being transferred out of border facilities to spaces equipped to care for them at a quicker pace. 

The average time that kids are in CBP custody is now 28 hours, compared to 133 hours on March 28, the official said, a nearly 80% reduction in time spent in Border Patrol detention.

It really was such a coordinated effort where we had a team that's really talking on a daily basis in problem-solving mode," the White House official said. "It's very orchestrated, well-organized to try to troubleshoot these issues." 

Typically, after being taken into Border Patrol custody, unaccompanied children have to be turned over within 72 hours to HHS, barring exceptional circumstances. But amid the coronavirus pandemic, the department had initially been operating under reduced capacity, resulting in fewer beds available for minors arriving at the US southern border. 

"The administration stood up a whole government effort in the face of a pandemic and a gutted immigration system and despite those challenges, we've made significant progress," the official said, underscoring ongoing efforts to also address root causes of migration.

In March, the Border Patrol apprehended 18,663 unaccompanied minors at the US-Mexico border, up from the previous month, according to the agency's data. March's figures also far exceeded that of previous increases of unaccompanied children at the border, both in 2014 under the Obama administration and in 2019 under former President Donald Trump.

The sudden increase in unaccompanied children entering the United States is driven by a number of factors: the devastation left behind by two major hurricanes that hit Central America last year, the toll of the coronavirus pandemic and a perceived relaxation of enforcement under the Biden administration.

Biden on NBC again warned Central American parents against sending children to the US.

"Do not send your kids, period. They're most -- they're in jeopardy going-- making that thousand-mile trek," Biden said. "And so what we're doing now is we're going back to those countries in question where most of it's coming from and saying, 'Look, you can apply from your country. You don't have to make this trek.'"

The Biden administration is trying to fast-track the process for parents or guardians, many of whom are undocumented, to collect their children while awaiting immigration proceedings and an eventual decision on their status. More than 350 US Citizenship and Immigration Services personnel have also been trained to provide case management services, the process of gathering a child's details and helping reunite him/her with a sponsor in the US. 

But sustaining the pace of arrivals will also require more licensed facilities and cutting down the time it takes to get a child to their sponsor, like a parent or relative. The administration has made some inroads on that front: The average time that children are being reunited with a sponsor has been reduced to 29 days, down from 40 days on February 22. Children being reunited with a parent or guardian is less, taking about 22 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Key takeaways:

Two White House officials familiar with the dynamic said Harris and her aides have emphasized internally that they want to focus on conditions in Central America that push migrants to the US southern border, as President Joe Biden tasked her to do. A record number of unaccompanied children crossed into the US this spring, and the throngs of desperate minors present a heart-rending problem as well as a political one.  

After the announcement, Harris' aides appeared to "panic," according to one of the officials, out of concern that her assignment was being mischaracterized and could be politically damaging if she were linked to the border, which at the time was facing a growing number of arrivals. But another White House official pushed back on the sentiment, saying the vice president's team wasn't panicked.

The border issue has been a thing, for like, forever. They want to focus on the root cause which is what they should do. A wall doesn't fix the border issue. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/politics/harris-immigration/index.html

Vice President Harris' team tries to distance her from fraught situation at the border

CNN means the quick placement (four days or less) of unaccompanied children with foster families doesn’t burnish Harris’ foreign policy credentials. She is swinging for a further fence, and it is an ambitious goal. Addressing the reasons folks emigrate is exactly what Columbia wants.

Thanks for the article. I am not sure we read it the same way, though.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Terse-ness

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

CNN means the quick placement (four days or less) of unaccompanied children with foster families doesn’t burnish Harris’ foreign policy credentials. She is swinging for a further fence, and it is an ambitious goal. Addressing the reasons folks emigrate is exactly what Columbia wants.

Thanks for the article. I am not sure we read it the same way, though.

As stated previously I think she has taken on a big fucking mess to try and fix.  I applaud that effort and if she is successful it will be a big gain for her political future.  

My key takeaway is that her staff was freaked the fuck out by being assigned the job.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

No one: how can we frame this story about the Veep not being assigned a task at the actual border in the most inflammatory way possible?

CNN headline writers: I got you fam

Edited by elfenix
speeling
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, Js1 said:

OUTRAGE OUTRAGE 

GET THE BLACK WOMAN

You forgot "uppity."  And chicken vindaloo.  

(trying desperately to think of something GRU Horn can relate to but my hand crafted vodka addled brain ain't working. Thanks a lot, Tito, you Longhorn Legend).

• 2 weeks later...

This was kind of interesting, it cropped up on my feed. https://www.yahoo.com/news/nina-simone-family-blame-kamala-201907915.html

Apparently, one "branch" of Nina Simone's family is displeased with Kamala Harris.

As California AG, she/her office investigated/sued a charitable trust established by Simone and having her daughter as trustee.  The daughter was accused of self-dealing to the tune of about $2M, which is pretty srs business.  Apparently, as a result, the family "lost control" of the trust and Simone's estate.

I'm sure it's pretty overblown by the family.  Interesting nevertheless.

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol the mom was caught embezzling millions from the fund and the granddaughter blames Kamala for suing and taking it away from the family. 

Wait, I thought the *Republicans* were the party of law and order?

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol the mom was caught embezzling millions from the fund and the granddaughter blames Kamala for suing and taking it away from the family. 

Not only that, but it apparently just resulted in the trustee being changed to an institution.

The beneficiaries would not have changed as a result of this unless they were complicit in the self-dealing.

Really sounds like a bunch of grifter bullshit.  Also had to add that it was "turned over to white people."  That's really not helpful.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not only that, but it apparently just resulted in the trustee being changed to an institution.

The beneficiaries would not have changed as a result of this unless they were complicit in the self-dealing.

Really sounds like a bunch of grifter bullshit.  Also had to add that it was "turned over to white people."  That's really not helpful.

Both grifter BS and way easier to blame the sitting VP than acknowledge that your mom embezzled from your grandma’s trust into her personal company.  The granddaughter now claims she might have to become a stripper to pay her bills.  Instead of leeching off grandma’s estate that her mom mishandled 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2021 at 4:11 AM, Incredulity said:

I’m surprised she took this on.  Doesn’t seem to be very politically savy to get tied so directly to one of the biggest issues early in this administration.  At the very least, it’s a big risk for her.  She certainly can win big if it gets under control, whatever the fuck that might mean.

Or maybe, just maybe, she and Biden want to do something other than cynically consider all actions in terms of popularity or wickedly, shamelessly, and treasonously pursue power after power.

You, I think, project what you expect of the politicians you support. Your vote encourages that mindset.

edit: I'm behind on this thread. I now see that Mrs. Whiggins et al did a spectacular job of answering these absurd claims.

edit numero two-o: Incredulous does clarify his general opinion in ways that favor him. We rarely see eye to eye, but compliments on that.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, as a trustee myself, unless the terms of the trust are really tight and complex, it’s almost, but not entirely, impossible for the beneficiaries to be wrong, assuming they are, you know, benefiting.  

OTOH, it’s easy to get in hot water as the trustee for self dealing.  As my mother’s attorney put it, good fences make good neighbors, keep the revenue streams clearly separated and documented.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, LW Goatman said:

I didn’t say after she was picked for VP, when people’s hands are forced. She wasn’t popular, that’s just the way it is.

I would like to see her doing something at the border, as the VP who was hand picked by the President to handle. This is a huge fucking deal. Do you think she is doing a good job handling the illegal immigration border crisis?

Negged. Not exactly lies, but disingenuous on an epic scale. 

You said she was unpopular with Dems. The graph proves you dead wrong. You move the goal post and still manage to get impaled by them (alas SpiderAg).

Next you apparently expect great progress on the alleged "crisis" in a matter of weeks. 

Your amateur operative game is poor. Maybe look for a new venue to sell you soul; it may bring more than the price of a MAGA hat.