Kamala Harris 2021

GRHorn

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nah they’re just super bigly mad about her being given an important task. 

I’m not mad.

It’s relevant she’s been given this specific focus, similar to Pence and COVID. 

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw something about it, but didn't read.  I have bullshit fatigue.  What's the bullshit there?

They care about precedence now. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden wants to take the heat off him and he’s deployed Kamala Harris a few times in this way.  

Also, with her background from California politics (also having a history of being a migration destination state for employment etc) wouldn't she have some specific skill sets/background unique to that outlook that would help in a different way? Not so much now, but some of the older politicians in Texas seemed to have a grasp of the situation that immigration posed with respect to the southern border. It wasn't all 'NO BROWN PEOPLE' that I hear now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Also, with her background from California politics (also having a history of being a migration destination state for employment etc) wouldn't she have some specific skill sets/background unique to that outlook that would help in a different way? Not so much now, but some of the older politicians in Texas seemed to have a grasp of the situation that immigration posed with respect to the southern border. It wasn't all 'NO BROWN PEOPLE' that I hear now.

IMO, getting Mexico to do more on their side of the border is the key to this.  If we had a bunch of unaccompanied minors going the other way, I feel like we’d be in a better position to solve that problem. 

I’m surprised she took this on.  Doesn’t seem to be very politically savy to get tied so directly to one of the biggest issues early in this administration.  At the very least, it’s a big risk for her.  She certainly can win big if it gets under control, whatever the fuck that might mean.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I’m surprised she took this on.  Doesn’t seem to be very politically savy to get tied so directly to one of the biggest issues early in this administration.  At the very least, it’s a big risk for her.  She certainly can win big if it gets under control, whatever the fuck that might mean.

The suburbs have yet to be burned to the ground by MS-13 so we have already won.

Put it on the stadium wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Gets what under control? The causes of people leaving their homes in Central America and journeying the long dangerous distance to the border are varied, but many of those causes are directly related to our own foreign policy toward those countries over time. Addressing that is not going to happen over night and if the GOP returns to majority, never, but the numbers are not telling the whole truth, and neither is the right wing media. Unaccompanied children at the border is a crisis. These are CHILDREN, and yes, teens are children. The Administration is attempting to follow the Act, I think it's the Flores Act? that discusses humanitarian policy towards minors and immigration policy.

Is this a risk for her? Sure, but it is the RIGHT thing to do. Children don't wait for adults to get their act together. They keep growing older, in spite of mistreatment, in spite of abuse, in spite of hardship.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Also running the government is hard.  Harder when the previous guy was hellbent on breaking it. 

So what if its a "big risk?"  It's a humanitarian crisis that has to be handled and Biden tapped his governing partner to handle it. 

It's why they were elected.  To fix shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I seem to remember governor good hair saying, "Have a heart" on this issue.  He was an asshole, but he wasn't an asshole about that.  Last of the "compassionate conservatives?" 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also running the government is hard.  Harder when the previous guy was hellbent on breaking it. 

So what if its a "big risk?"  It's a humanitarian crisis that has to be handled and Biden tapped his governing partner to handle it. 

It's why they were elected.  To fix shit. 

It's a lot easier to break shit than to make shit.  Biden/Kamala trying to get American back into the making shit column.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

(I realize this chart is a bit dated, but I’d love for you to try and convince me that she became less popular within the party after being picked for VP)

The Harvard Harris poll last month had her at 49/41 total. So must be lots of GOP who love her! 

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

(I realize this chart is a bit dated, but I’d love for you to try and convince me that she became less popular within the party after being picked for VP)

I didn’t say after she was picked for VP, when people’s hands are forced. She wasn’t popular, that’s just the way it is.

I would like to see her doing something at the border, as the VP who was hand picked by the President to handle. This is a huge fucking deal. Do you think she is doing a good job handling the illegal immigration border crisis?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

I didn’t say after she was picked for VP, when people’s hands are forced. She wasn’t popular, that’s just the way it is.

I would like to see her doing something at the border, as the VP who was hand picked by the President to handle. This is a huge fucking deal. Do you think she is doing a good job handling the illegal immigration border crisis?

Are you able to read a graph? She was at 70% before being picked. Your inability to acknowledge that fact is a huge tip-off that you are not having this discussion in good faith, therefore I am not going to engage.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Around 15 GOP Senator types traveled to Texas and mucked around and yucked around with BP, etc and took video, posed for photos, etc. Something that was done during the former President's administration by Democratic politicians pointing out issues with the facilities.

What exactly is it that people want the VP to do? Travel there for a photo op along with SS and everyone else?

Or roll up the sleeves and get things done administratively, which is what the current President and VP are attempting to do. COVID was and continues to be the first hurdle. 200 million shots given by the end of April. The virus doesn't recognize borders, however.

Concurrently, officials are setting up a program so that families are reunited, renovated and upgraded facilities and continue to do so where children are being held, not allowing undocumented immigrants to stay due to COVID concerns at the border (3000 arrested per day beginning in Janurary)

Specifically, Vice-president Harris is handling the diplomacy with the countries involved with the crisis, such as Mexico, and the Central American countries from which many migrants come. That is typically what VPs do. It has been stated repeatedly that the President and Vice President believe one of the goals for immigration reform is to assist our neighbors with policy that reduces reasons for them to travel so far to seek safety from harm at home.

If you're looking for her to grab a GoPro and wade through some brush like Ted, I don't think that's going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Around 15 GOP Senator types traveled to Texas and mucked around and yucked around with BP, etc and took video, posed for photos, etc. Something that was done during the former President's administration by Democratic politicians pointing out issues with the facilities.

What exactly is it that people want the VP to do? Travel there for a photo op along with SS and everyone else?

Or roll up the sleeves and get things done administratively, which is what the current President and VP are attempting to do. COVID was and continues to be the first hurdle. 200 million shots given by the end of April. The virus doesn't recognize borders, however.

Concurrently, officials are setting up a program so that families are reunited, renovated and upgraded facilities and continue to do so where children are being held, not allowing undocumented immigrants to stay due to COVID concerns at the border (3000 arrested per day beginning in Janurary)

Specifically, Vice-president Harris is handling the diplomacy with the countries involved with the crisis, such as Mexico, and the Central American countries from which many migrants come. That is typically what VPs do. It has been stated repeatedly that the President and Vice President believe one of the goals for immigration reform is to assist our neighbors with policy that reduces reasons for them to travel so far to seek safety from harm at home.

If you're looking for her to grab a GoPro and wade through some brush like Ted, I don't think that's going to happen.

She could always throw paper towels at the Guatemalans.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

For quite some time I believe Vice Presidents steer toward diplomacy and foreign policy among other things, and that is what IIRC the President and VP had stated Harris would do with respect to the border and that she had no immediate plans to visit. It was announced this week that Biden would be traveling later (June?) on his first overseas trip (UK).

I also believe people became so accustomed to the former President (and his VP) beginning the term not under a global pandemic, and turning every single thing he (the President) did into a big deal, look what I did moment for electioneering purposes because he ran a four year campaign that they are looking for the show. We got a nice superspreader show last year, but let's not do that again, shall we?

We are still suffering mightily from a global pandemic, even if things in the US are looking much improved. That limits some of the traveling that various members of the Administration would normally be doing at this time. More zoom, less travel has been their method. It's not ideal in some ways, but at least it's not costing as much money as you-know-who.

The Vice President, however, has not been sitting on her hands.

This last week, she convened a Roundtable discussion on issues affecting the Northern Triangle, which speaks directly to what I was discussing above--the root causes of migration. She spoke at the Climate Summit. She also delivered remarks on the American Jobs Plan over multiple occasions, specifically addressing childcare--gaps in care were acute during the pandemic. I'm leaving some out, but those were a few of the highlights.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1