2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Never have heard "time of possession" as a baseball stat...

seems inconsequential, other than your pitcher being on the mound a lot, but that could just be pacing in a close game.

Just looking at worthless stats, but for us to set the AL record for team hits we would still have to average over 11.4 hits per game the rest of the way.  For MLB record we would need to avg right around 12 per game.  

To break the frachise record when we were banging trash cans in 2017 we would need to avg right at 10 (9.9) per game

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It illustrates how weak our farm system is right now, particularly in the area of position players. 

I'm still not sure I buy it. The 40-man roster in and of itself doesn't say everything about the state of the farm, it just says these are the guys who have enough professional experience that they have to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. A team can have five of the top 100 prospects in minor league baseball and none of them be on the 40 man roster. The top four farm systems are Tampa, Detroit,  Seattle, and Miami. Tampa has five positional prospects on their 40 man, Detroit has two, Seattle has three, and Miami has three. 

The Astros top positional prospects--Jeremy Pena, Korey Lee, Pedro Leon, Jordan Brewer, Colin Barber--don't have the professional experience that necessitates the Astros protecting them on the 40-man roster. There are quality players like Ronnie Dawson, Bryan de La Cruz, Jose Siri, Joe Perez, Norel Gonzalez who are all doing well in the minors this year.

On the other hand, the guys that are protected and would otherwise be in Sugar Land (Taylor Jones and Abraham Toro) are on the active roster because of injuries to Diaz, Bregman, and Tucker. Then there's Chas McCormick, who was a surprise addition to the active roster to start the season and wasn't even ranked in the top twenty of all Astros prospects and looks like found gold right now. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Look at all the good young arms we have. The farm system is fine 

I strongly agree. Also am impressed by some of the positional talent that had minimal name recognition or buzzy scouting profiles ( e.g. Joe Perez, Norel Gonzalez, Matthew Barefoot) but are drawing attention with their play. 

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The Astros are currently 40-28 (.588).... they have to go 60-34 (.638) over the remaining schedule to win 100 games.

Y'all think they can do it?

I doubt it.  I'm thinking 95 wins, which is still pretty amazing considering how long we had one pitcher that we actually wanted to start.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

doubt it.  I'm thinking 95 wins, which is still pretty amazing considering how long we had one pitcher that we actually wanted to start.

I think they can. 

Their ex-W/L is 43-25, even after that Covid bullshit early in the season and their tough overall schedule. That's a .632 winning percentage. 

Y’all are delusional if you think our farm system is in good shape. Ranked at or near the bottom of the league by every service. Zero top 100 players. No 1st or 2nd round pick this year.  This hurts in multiple ways. No impact players, especially non pitchers, close to being ready for the bigs. The only high profile trades we’ll be able to do will be to take on bad contacts due to lack of trade capital. A team can’t thrive long term by filling out the roster primarily through free agency. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Y’all are delusional if you think our farm system is in good shape. Ranked at or near the bottom of the league by every service. Zero top 100 players. No 1st or 2nd round pick this year.  This hurts in multiple ways. No impact players, especially non pitchers, close to being ready for the bigs. The only high profile trades we’ll be able to do will be to take on bad contacts due to lack of trade capital. A team can’t thrive long term by filling out the roster primarily through free agency. 

Remind me where those services ranked guys like Framber Valdez, Jose Urquidy, Luis Garcia, and Cristian Javier. Then do Chas McCormick.

Obviously our farm system is hurt by the four draft picks we lost but the organization smartly sought to minimize that damage by going heavy on international free agents (Pedro Leon, Norel Gonzalez, and eight players from the D.R.) this past January and is also rumored to have a deal with Cuban SS Alberto Hernandez. 

The organization has absolutely killed it with its international player development so I take those rankings with a grain of salt. Yeah it would be great to have the ballyhooed prospects at the top of the lists but we've seen that for years with Forrest Whitley and he's yet to make any difference whatsoever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

We just need to keep smuggling out Cubans. We'll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

not having an OF to replace springer was a hole in the system. straw and chaz are slowly stepping up, but not sure if either is an everyday player.

replacing correa next year at SS will be a huge test to the farm system 

but the young arms we're producing is damn impressive 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I strongly agree. Also am impressed by some of the positional talent that had minimal name recognition or buzzy scouting profiles ( e.g. Joe Perez, Norel Gonzalez, Matthew Barefoot) but are drawing attention with their play. 

Perez was a pretty highly regarded draft pick that has dealt with injury issues. Barefoot just needed time to adjust his mechanics at the plate. 

Edited by rvm96

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

How highly regarded where Valdez, Urquidy and García?  Not at all man- no top 100 lists and that’s looking like peripheral character young candidate and 2 guys that might be fringy all stars. I’d rather have a lot of highly regarded prospects than not- but what JL set us up with is amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

not having an OF to replace springer was a hole in the system. straw and chaz are slowly stepping up, but not sure if either is an everyday player.

replacing correa next year at SS will be a huge test to the farm system 

but the young arms we're producing is damn impressive 

There are enough FA SS's on the market next year that I think the Astros sign one.

Correa, Simmons, Baez, Crawford, Semien, Story, Seager, Rojas, Chris Taylor. Not too mention the Astros could likely play Diaz there for a seasonal stop gap giving their own internal candidates a year more in the minors.