Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I might be some glass half full delusional t-sip asshole but name a coach who isn’t top 5 all time that took over an absolute dumpster fire and turned it around half way through year one. We handcuffed sark with hires and then NIL shit the bed. With all that said we have a decent class currently. I can’t wait to be 5th best in the SEC and still be ranked 10th. Lol 

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I might be some glass half full delusional t-sip asshole but name a coach who isn’t top 5 all time that took over an absolute dumpster fire and turned it around half way through year one. We handcuffed sark with hires and then NIL shit the bed. With all that said we have a decent class currently. I can’t wait to be 5th best in the SEC and still be ranked 10th. Lol 

Of the top of my head, I believe Tennessee and Oregon recruited well under their new head coaches despite not having much recent success and lacking an in-state fertile recruiting base. An elite recruiter can sell the new car smell in their first 2 years. We have a fertile recruiting ground where many top recruits grow up wanting to play for the flagship university. We should be able to close better with our resources. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Of the top of my head, I believe Tennessee and Oregon recruited well under their new head coaches despite not having much recent success and lacking an in-state fertile recruiting base. An elite recruiter can sell the new car smell in their first 2 years. We have a fertile recruiting ground where many top recruits grow up wanting to play for the flagship university. We should be able to close better with our resources. 

Did you seriously pick the two most obvious bag money head coaching hires of the past 10 years? Cristobal and Pruitt were straight-up money in fast food bags guys. And Pruitt didn't even work out.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Did you seriously pick the two most obvious bag money head coaching hires of the past 10 years? Cristobal and Pruitt were straight-up money in fast food bags hires. And Pruitt didn't even work out.

I realize this "bag game" is our new boogie man but everyone is doing it these days. We just suck at it. This NIL should have been the replacement for the traditional bag game. Let's not forget we started losing 5* commits before all this NIL bullshit started.

• Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

IDK about Oregon, but Tennessee is so dirty that SEC schools actually turned them in.

45 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

A 10-2 record and a New Years bowl will go a long way to reversing the narrative I think anything less will be insufficient.

But….that’s a 10-2 record for a team with a B12 schedule. That’s 8-4 at best in the SEC, therefore, recruits will go to aggy where they’ll go 10-2 in their SEC schedule. 

35 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Tennessee, Oregon and Georgia are the 3 schools in recent memory that saw a fairly shocking shift in recruiting with new coaches that had no success as head coaches. In shocking news all 3 came from the Saban tree and know the bagman game. 

But this is part of the reason I find the "just win" and "support staff sucks" to be nonsense. Yes, all that stuff matters but if Texas goes all in on NIL and the bagman game I truly believe that other stuff would be irrelevant. Texas would be landing top 5ish classes every cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

i have never seen someone make as many shitty posts sharing shitty thought, get their teeth kicked in, run off complaining about how mean we are and then come back for round about 9 at this point of the same cycle.

imagine coming in to the recruiting board and $aying that Tenn and Oregon are recruiting well de$pite not having much recent $ucce$$ and lacking an in-$tate fertile recruiting ba$e.

please go post your dumb shit back on the football board or literally anywhere that isn't here.

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I realize this "bag game" is our new boogie man but everyone is doing it these days. We just suck at it. This NIL should have been the replacement for the traditional bag game. Let's not forget we started losing 5* commits before all this NIL bullshit started.

i am just going to neg this moron every time he posts here. he literally comes in here every few weeks and posts terrible shit then complains about how mean we are.

I still can't believe how much Jimbo has been able to manipulate Bryce's timeline. Got him to push back from committing to us at least once, maybe more, then convinces him to commit now instead of seeing games at each place as originally planned. Taking more time could help us on a number of fronts.

On NIL, what happened to the non-AD efforts to get something organized, that IT and CTJ have alluded to? Now Sydney is saying best case spring 2022?

End of the day, I still love our staff from a coaching standpoint. If we have a solid year, get NIL together, announce the SEC move, and land Arch, we should be in good shape for 23 and beyond. Almost all our players should return next year too so we should keep any on-field momentum moving.

Side note but I think Covid really dampened the new coach bump. We had a lot of momentum in the spring, but it was very easy (and honestly understandable) for rivals to convince guys like Bryce, Banks, Jacoby, to wait and take visits. By the time summer came around, new car smell was gone and all that Sark hype from the playoffs was distant past.

45 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

It's not our new Boogieman. It's been around quite some fucking  time, and it hit peak levels when aTm let the SEC into Texas and we started losing. Look at you, you literally say that the "bag game" is a boogie man and then point out we fucking were losing 5 stars before the NIL shit...it's almost like we haven't been playing the bag game and our NIL efforts are a clown care on fire. 

39 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Nobody cares about how dirty you're now. Funnel all the money through NIL and it looks clean. Is NCAA going to come hard on a big time program ... ever?

Texas cares how dirty we are now, like it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Just make it to football season and win. If Sark wins this shit doesn't matter, if he doesn't win it doesn't matter either...just another buyout

I don't disagree -- BUT -- If I have to go one more season of just win and all will be right I may go crazy.. Every year it's if we just win it will fix this and we don't and it doesn't. I have zero ZERO interest in loosing to the aggys period. I can live with a close game to Bama and OU - I expect that.. but to aggy.. no.. never. 

Edited by TexasBeta

Just now, TexasBeta said:

I don't disagree -- BUT -- If I have to go one more season of just win and all will right I may go crazy.. Every year it's if we just win it will fix this and we don't and it doesn't.

Well yeah, it hasn't been fixed because we haven't actually won. We didn't have recruiting issues every year under Herman. We had staff, scheme, and development issues. Those flaws eventually doomed recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not our new Boogieman. It's been around quite some fucking  time, and it hit peak levels when aTm let the SEC into Texas and we started losing. Look at you, you literally say that the "bag game" is a boogie man and then point out we fucking were losing 5 stars before the NIL shit...it's almost like we haven't been playing the bag game and our NIL efforts are a clown care on fire. 

If Texas is unwilling to spend a few hundred thousand on a player like Bijan through NIL are there really people that think we've been playing the bag game to our full potential?

If Texas is so scared to funnel money to players through NIL they definitely weren't dropping bags like Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama types. 

NIL has pretty much legitimized paying players and Texas is still pearl-clutching when it comes to all this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Serious question - how much do you think recruits will weight guaranteed "bags" NIL vs. ongoing NIL once on campus?

In other words, maybe Aggy offers a kid $50k to sign but their players are only getting like 10-50k of ongoing deals once on campus. Meanwhile Texas won't offer a guaranteed bag upfront but kids see that current players are crushing it with NIL (ie Bijan and QB getting hundreds of thousands, other starters doing 50-100k and almost everyone on the team at 5-10k per year). All hypothetical of course and I'm making up numbers, but you get the point.

I ask bc I have a lot of hope for UT when it comes to getting current players paid. Just so many built-in advantages over the long term. I have a lot less optimism that bag-like NIL will happen here.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Texas is unwilling to spend a few hundred thousand on a player like Bijan through NIL are there really people that think we've been playing the bag game to our full potential?

If Texas is so scared to funnel money to players through NIL they definitely weren't dropping bags like Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama types. 

NIL has pretty much legitimized paying players and Texas is still pearl-clutching when it comes to all this.  

You and other people REALLY need to stop saying "Texas spend." Because the problem here is that Texas, the university, can't spend. Boosters spend. Just like in the Bag Game. The problem here is that Texas isn't helping boosters figure out how to connect with and compensate players for the NIL. THAT's a big problem right now. 

But yes. Texas hasn't been dirty in the past, not compared to the market. Not sure what your point is in quoting me, we're generally in agreement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You and other people REALLY need to stop saying "Texas spend." Because the problem here is that Texas, the university, can't spend. Boosters spend. Just like in the Bag Game. The problem here is that Texas isn't helping boosters figure out how to connect with and compensate players for the NIL. THAT's a big problem right now. 

But yes. Texas hasn't been dirty in the past, not compared to the market. Not sure what your point is in quoting me, we're generally in agreement. 

Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer. I definitely agree with you and that was the point. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Serious question - how much do you think recruits will weight guaranteed "bags" NIL vs. ongoing NIL once on campus?

In other words, maybe Aggy offers a kid $50k to sign but their players are only getting like 10-50k of ongoing deals once on campus. Meanwhile Texas won't offer a guaranteed bag upfront but kids see that current players are crushing it with NIL (ie Bijan and QB getting hundreds of thousands, other starters doing 50-100k and almost everyone on the team at 5-10k per year). All hypothetical of course and I'm making up numbers, but you get the point.

I ask bc I have a lot of hope for UT when it comes to getting current players paid. Just so many built-in advantages over the long term. I have a lot less optimism that bag-like NIL will happen here.

Once a couple seasons of Texas players getting high dollar NIL, it would negate any bag shit. Bag shit would disappear. Ironically, I think Texas can and should do both the splash and the ongoing maintenance payments for the team.

Once a couple seasons of Texas players getting high dollar NIL, it would negate any bag shit. Bag shit would disappear. Ironically, I think Texas can and should do both the splash and the ongoing maintenance payments for the team.

Gotcha. I just wonder because it's sort of a risk-reward issue (bird in the hand vs bush). Could honestly understand either way. But I suspect you're right that most recruits are so confident they'll be a star that they'll be more attracted to the high dollar ongoing NIL.

But yeah both would help. Definitely need the splash like Bama with Bryce Young, but setting a floor helps negate some of what I just said above.

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I don't believe Texas can win with lesser talent. We just don't have that underdog culture as an institution and I think it's impossible to develop that kind of culture at a big program like Texas. Baylors and Techs of the world can get a good coach in and win with lesser talents because they are used to be underdogs. At a big program like Texas, you have to recruit well to win. There are no two ways about it. Hoping that we would win first with lesser talent and then more talent would come is just kicking the can down the road.

Which programs do you presume has recruited head and shoulders above us. I can only think of a few. Bama, Ohio St and probably Clemson. I’d say we are on par with everyone else.

34 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tennessee, Oregon and Georgia are the 3 schools in recent memory that saw a fairly shocking shift in recruiting with new coaches that had no success as head coaches. In shocking news all 3 came from the Saban tree and know the bagman game. 

But this is part of the reason I find the "just win" and "support staff sucks" to be nonsense. Yes, all that stuff matters but if Texas goes all in on NIL and the bagman game I truly believe that other stuff would be irrelevant. Texas would be landing top 5ish classes every cycle. 

You keep banging your head on that bagmen scenario and let me know when it all gets sorted out lol. In the meantime, harken back to 1999 through 2009 with me. Texas recruiting was outstanding and all we did was win and we beat the fuck out of people when we were suppose to. Ass to mouth Colorado in the big 12 title game, beat Baylor 62-0 once, butter teeth beat aggy like a drum, buttttt the stupid fuck couldn’t develop the talent we got and he got lazy so we never really got the machine going like it could have. Texas won’t cheat…we just fuckin won’t. Our best hope is to find a got damn staff that develops talent, puts kids in the nfl at a high rate and pray to 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that saban dies on the sidelines soon all while Dabo gets struck with an urge to join the clergy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You keep banging your head on that bagmen scenario and let me know when it all gets sorted out lol. In the meantime, harken back to 1999 through 2009 with me. Texas recruiting was outstanding and all we did was win and we beat the fuck out of people when we were suppose to. Ass to mouth Colorado in the big 12 title game, beat Baylor 62-0 once, butter teeth beat aggy like a drum, buttttt the stupid fuck couldn’t develop the talent we got and he got lazy so we never really got the machine going like it could have. Texas won’t cheat…we just fuckin won’t. Our best hope is to find a got damn staff that develops talent, puts kids in the nfl at a high rate and pray to 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that saban dies on the sidelines soon all while Dabo gets struck with an urge to join the clergy. 

The game has changed a bit since 2009, maybe you haven't been paying attention.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

If we won’t play the game then we’re completely fucked moving to the SEC 

• Like 1

The NIL isn't gunna kill the bag game. You're still gunna need to play that game with recruits, though maybe on a smaller scale, because if I'm not mistaken,  in most states (and especially here in Texas), these kids can't capitalize off of NIL in HS. Now how much smaller of a scale are we talking? I dunno.

Obviously a dominant NIL showing can lock kids up, seeing they'll be taken care of, but do you think the programs with lesser NIL appeal are just going to sit and take it, or are they gunna try to bridge the gap with bags? What about guys on your level, are they not gunna try to gain an advantage some other way? Not every kid is a Ew*rs who can just split HS a whole year early and start collecting, and even so, they'd still take some under the table benefits up to when they do leave.

I kinda equate it to prohibition. Cool, alcohol is legal now. Everyone just walks up and buys their beer.... except for the 20 year olds and below. So those kids just don't drink then, huh? No, they wanna drink now! And they get theirs... somehow.

Now sure, the side of the bag game where you're keeping up with and taking care of the players already on campus almost completely goes away, I suppose, and obviously taking care of those guys with bags has always shown a recruit that they'd be taken care of as well. So yah, that side of it gets covered by a strong NIL program. But there will always be moms whose car shits out and needs a way back and forth from work, before that kid is able to earn his money.

Edited by UncleBuck

8 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The game has changed a bit since 2009, maybe you haven't been paying attention.

You mean like Washington and Notre Dame going to the college football playoff before us? Those guys are real big bag men teams for sure. Damn cheating is the only way. Guess we better shut football down lol. 

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

You mean like Washington and Notre Dame going to the college football playoff before us? Those guys are real big bag men teams for sure. Damn cheating is the only way. Guess we better shut football down lol. 

But dont you want to go every year instead?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting