Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Technically if you’re choosing Baylor over Michigan or Texas I wouldn’t trust your thought process. 

His thinking must be that if you are a baller at a place like Baylor or Kent State, the NFL will find you.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

Sooooo….

At what point do we admit that there is a big ass recruiting problem right now?

Like, we as a board come to an agreement and stop nitpicking about details and just goddamned agree that something is definitely wrong with our attempts to get good football players to come play for our team.

It seems like every time people point out that “shit is currently fucked up” it turns into a debate, as if we all aren’t privy to the exact same buttfucking information about how the good football players don’t want to come here as of right now.

I feel like if we can admit that then our bullshitting will at least feel more productive as we brainstorm for ideas our staff should pursue, but definitely won’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Sooooo….

Like, we as a board come to an agreement and stop nitpicking about details and just goddamned agree that something is definitely wrong with our attempts to get good football players to come play for our team.

It seems like every time people point out that “shit is currently fucked up” it turns into a debate, as if we all aren’t privy to the exact same buttfucking information about how the good football players don’t want to come here as of right now.

I feel like if we can admit that then our bullshitting will at least feel more productive as we brainstorm for ideas our staff should pursue, but definitely won’t.

We are Texas dude, we are entitled to have a good class... 

I don't know shit about NIL recruiting in 2021.  But I will ride this shit out for the next 20 years just like I have for the last 50 years.  I will be happy about who we land and how they develop way more than I am sad.  James Street, Steve Worster , Rosie Leaks, Earl, Ced, Ricky, VY, Colt, Jamaal.  We will get ours.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

It’s been rough. We might finish 4th in the region behind OU, LSU, & A&M. That’s incredible. We have to win just to salvage what we have. Im curious how this staff will respond.  

Is about the long game.  Let's hope we develop like Iowa state and TCU in the meantime.  We should finally see the NIL pay off in year 5 maybe if Sark is still around.

Just now, westexhorn said:

Is about the long game.  Let's hope we develop like Iowa state and TCU in the meantime.  We should finally see the NIL pay off in year 5 maybe if Sark is still around.

JFC, we're gonna sign a top ten class, I would bet. We're not pulling in classes ranked like fucking Iowa State or TCU. Also, the transfer portal as we move to the SEC will only help to remedy recruiting hiccups.

Aggie likely doesn’t even have room for Guilbeau. But regardless there is no way we should be getting out recruited for secondary players by Aggie. Bama, and LSU I can understand but fucking Aggie??? They should be easy as fuck to recruit against. WTF are Joseph and Gideon even doing at this point. I have not heard either of their names much lately at all. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard isn’t having trouble acquiring talent - and not just transfers, either.   Five star one-and-done PGs from Dallas Kimble like Morris haven’t come to Texas, or even really been legitimate options for Texas, since probably the mid 2000s.  No sweat for Beard.  

And basketball recruiting still has a much larger “NIL” component than football.  The basketball players don’t even go to real high schools anymore, and we have to compete with actual pro leagues offering them mid six figures to forego college.

The point of this being, if Beard can figure it out, then our football coaches should be able to figure it out even if the athletic department is going to be more of an impediment than they should.   Ultimately, Sark and the football coaches need to pull their heads out and find a way to get shit done.   More than anything, Beard sticks out compared to our last 15 years of major sports coaches because he’s about 1,000 times more proactive and just gets shit done.  Sark is not blowing our socks off in that department so far.  

I’m starting to think the difference in Sark’s and Kwiatkowski’s schemes vs. Herman’s and Ash’s needs to be worth several extra wins this year, or this plane might not get off the ground very far.   I expect the coaching actually will be a lot better, and our schedule is, frankly, soft this year. So, it very well could happen.  But I was NOT expecting to have to dream about “coach em up” scenarios when we should be in the midst of a new coach bump with Bama’s old staff and a moving to the SEC bump.  This isn’t starting off right.

We are going to win.  

13 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

It’s been rough. We might finish 4th in the region behind OU, LSU, & A&M. That’s incredible. We have to win just to salvage what we have. Im curious how this staff will respond.  

It's almost like we need to start taking this winning thing seriously. Like it actually matters in recruiting or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joseph Cook: How "All Gas, No Brakes" came about, and what it means to Texas

There was no way for him to know it at the time, but during his introductory press conference on January 12th, Steve Sarkisian uttered a short, catchy phrase that quickly became synonymous with the first year of his tenure. “This work will be all gas and no brakes,” Sarkisian said. “We will go to it full fledge. We will lay down on the hammer and go get it, but at the end of the day, to put on the burnt orange and white and to represent this great university and the great state of Texas is one I don’t take lightly. We will go for it to the highest level.”

In the six months since his hire, “All Gas, No Brakes” has become a tertiary option behind “Hook ‘Em” and “Texas Fight” as sayings associated with Longhorn football. The school quickly recognized the marketing opportunity it had on its hands and filed for a service mark with the US Patent and Trademark Office on April 8. The saying is prevalent around the football program. DeMarvion Overshown wore a licensed hat with the phrase during an interview with Longhorn Network during the Orange-White Game. He has continued to wear it in some of his social media posts. It became the slogan during June’s official visit weekends, with recruits taking pictures with the phrase in the backdrop.

The phrase has taken off as a symbol of Sarkisian’s program. It wasn’t intended to be that. “We developed a little mantra here of All Gas, No Brakes,” Sarkisian told a room full of coaches at the THSCA coaching school on July 18th. “Unintended, mind you. Unintended. I used to use this in Atlanta talking to the offense. We were not great on defense at the time, and I’d say ‘it’s all gas today, man. We’ve got to roll. Don’t worry about the brakes. We’ve got to score every chance we get.’ Then I just kept bringing it with me.”

“I got the job here and the university kind of took the liberty of putting that as a hashtag or whatever it was,” Sarkisian continued. “The players loved it. The players loved it at Alabama. The players loved it in Atlanta. I’m like, ‘okay, this is kind of cool.’” “All Gas, No Brakes” is now a key part of Sarkisian’s overall culture-building strategy. It is just one part of the culture he wants to establish at Texas, but it’s easily the most prominent part of the culture and one fans have quickly grasped onto. As Sarkisian mentioned, players too.

“That’s been great how he’s brought that to Texas,” Bijan Robinson said at Big 12 Media Days. “It shows that we just give 100 percent in everything that we do no matter what it is. If it’s school, if it’s football, even if it’s just talking to somebody on the street, it doesn’t matter what it is, you’ve just got to give it your full heart and put it into full speed no matter what it is.” What are some of the other key aspects under the “All Gas, No Brakes” umbrella? At Coaching School Sarkisian explained what program facets fall under AGNB.

Attack-oriented football team

Sarkisian described an attack-oriented team as “the best in football.” “We’re going to go after your ass every chance we get,” he added.

Do things fast and aggressive

“We do things fast and aggressively,” Sarkisian said. “If it’s a walk-through, it’s a walk-through. If it’s a practice or a game, that’s a different story. We do everything fast and aggressive.”

Make opponents uncomfortable with our physicality

“We believe in running the football and we believe in stopping the run,” Sarkisian mentioned. “Starts there, everything for us does. But we’ve got to make them uncomfortable.”

Execute calls and assignments with belief

“We execute our calls and assignments with a belief, not a hope, not a wish, a belief,” Sarkisian said. “We have to establish that belief. That comes with the instillation with the football piece of it, but we have to establish belief in our calls and in our assignments.”

Everything is with amazing energy

This part of the mantra included a story from his first spring. “It was probably a week or so into spring ball, and I came up to the team meeting room,” Sarkisian said. “They had music playing in the team meeting room prior to my team meeting. I just kind of sat back. I kind of enjoyed it. You know these guys, they want their juice going. They’re trying to adhere to the things we talk about, and they were taking ownership of these things. Fascinating.”

Practice is everything

“Practice is everything,” Sarkisian said. “We only get 14 to 15 times a year, all of us in this room to go perform, to go put on a performance. Man, practice is critical, isn’t it? It’s the whole deal. It is clearly the whole deal to get ready for the performance.”

It's all about the ball

“It’s all about the ball,” Sarkisian said. “Everything is the ball. We can’t score (without) it, they can’t score if they don’t have it.”

Sarkisian’s catchphrase shouldn’t be construed as his sole cultural principle. During his presentation in San Antonio, he highlighted other aspects of the culture he wants his football teams to possess. None of those principles were publicly highlighted, emphasized, and marketed like “All Gas, No Brakes,” another in a long line of accidental inventions that have become extremely popular.

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard isn’t having trouble acquiring talent - and not just transfers, either.   Five star one-and-done PGs from Dallas Kimball like Morris haven’t come to Texas, or even really been legitimate options for Texas, since probably the mid 2000s.  No sweat for Beard, though.  

And basketball recruiting still has a much larger “NIL” (wink wink) component than football.  The basketball players don’t even go to real high schools anymore, and we have to compete with actual pro leagues offering them mid six figures to forego college.

The point of this being, if Beard can figure it out, then our football coaches should be able to figure it out even if the athletic department is going to be more of an impediment than they should.   Ultimately, Sark and the football coaches need to pull their heads out and find a way to get shit done.   More than anything, Beard sticks out compared to our last 15 years of major sports coaches because he’s about 1,000 times more proactive and just gets shit done.  Sark is not blowing our socks off in that department so far.  

I’m starting to think the difference in Sark’s and Kwiatkowski’s schemes vs. Herman’s and Ash’s needs to be worth several extra wins this year, or this plane might not get off the ground very far.   I expect the coaching actually will be a lot better, and our schedule is, frankly, soft this year. So, it very well could happen.  But I was NOT expecting to have to dream about “coach em up” scenarios when we should be in the midst of a new coach bump with Bama’s old staff and a moving to the SEC bump.  This isn’t starting off right.

Basketball recruiting is not the same as football recruiting. Stop trying to compare the two. 

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard isn’t having trouble acquiring talent - and not just transfers, either.   Five star one-and-done PGs from Dallas Kimball like Morris haven’t come to Texas, or even really been legitimate options for Texas, since probably the mid 2000s.  No sweat for Beard, though.  

And basketball recruiting still has a much larger “NIL” (wink wink) component than football.  The basketball players don’t even go to real high schools anymore, and we have to compete with actual pro leagues offering them mid six figures to forego college.

Shaka could recruit as well.  Herman’s recruiting was fading. Change had to be made. Now whether sarks the right guy, jury is still out

38 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Sooooo….

Shhhhhh!!! Lemonandaturd may suspect you’re an aggy!

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

Don’t get mad that some of us want this program to be great again. What’s going on is a problem and if you think NIL pamphlets being sent out on Twitter is a solution then get ready for 7-5, 8-4 seasons.

I'll reserve judgment until I see if all these newly rich players from aggy can block and tackle.   

11 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

The title to this thread need to be changed to:    Texas Recruiting Notes 2022-Pussies Following Recruiting

Right. Because the problem right now is the fan overreaction. Not the smooth butt fucking Texas is currently getting on the recruiting trail. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Right. Because the problem right now is the fan overreaction. Not the smooth butt fucking Texas is currently getting on the recruiting trail. 

So obviously something is going on with recruiting. We have some excellent recruiters on staff, yet we're missing out on guys. It's weird. But being a giant pussy on a Tuesday in August is unacceptable. It's just flat unacceptable. Wait until after OU weekend at least.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

So obviously something is going on with recruiting. We have some excellent recruiters on staff, yet we're missing out on guys. It's weird. But being a giant pussy on a Tuesday in August is unacceptable. It's just flat unacceptable. Wait until after OU weekend at least.

Shut up, bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Help me understand where we are on DL recruiting.  At Edge we have Derrick Brown.  At DL we have Ross and Swanson.  We just got a crystal ball for Aaron Bryant.  How many spots are left for Finkley, Bledsoe, Abor,  and Wiggins?  

All four of those guys are basically take them and find the numbers type talents. But we're probably sub-50 percent on all of them, let alone multiple.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

JFC the incompetence is just absolutely astounding.   This image is going to be Exhibit A for every fucking school recruiting against us.   Insanity.

A much better look  would be a tiktok .gif of Hudson Card standing on a football field while one of our BMDs like Bud Brigham drives up in a dump truck full of cash and makes it rain on him.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

5 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I understand recruits being unsure about the future of Texas football. What I don’t understand is the embarrassment of being an aggy, persuading anyone. I’m guessing it takes a lot of money to overcome literally being a joke for the rest of your life.

You got dam right.  

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting