Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I just caught up for 4-5 pages and I'm pretty sure I'd have been better served splashing acid into my eyes and having a donkey kick me in the balls.

There are some fairly intelligent people in here who absolutely don't understand recruiting, and more importantly exactly what we're looking at in regards to this fucking dumpster fire. And of course there's just a huge chunk of rock-headed fucking dipshits who probably shouldn't be allowed to drive or handle sharp objects. This program might be as fucked up as it's been at any point in the past 10 years, and shockingly it's for wildly different reasons than it was fucked up during Charlie Strong. There are real problems, and let me be the first person to tell you that the BEST CASE, short of some big boosters suddenly getting off their asses and independently cutting some checks, the best case for the NIL to be in serviceable shape is probably maybe  Spring 2022. So that cavalry isn't coming any time soon. 

Let me put it another way. Texas absolutely now HAS to win on the field this fall, and probably look pretty good doing it. Some folks  have said that all along, but if Sark had recruited just average and closed on half the elite prospects we were in on a 6 weeks ago, and build momentum, he'd have probably had a good shot to be fine and eventually excel here. But now he fucking HAS to win. The good news is his staff is good and there's talent, and Hartzell and Eltife are motivated and get it. But we didn't have to be this far behind the 8 ball with only one way out. It's an unforced error, because of course it is, We're Texas. 

Not a lot to disagree with here.  He has to win, more than Tom or Charlie had to because they already blew up the "new beginnings" talk track.  Imagine he goes 7-5 or 8-4 next year?  Opposing coach "hell that's worse than the guy that was there before and they fired his ass!  And 8-4 in the Big 12?  Wait till he gets in the SEC."  Football coaches aren't exactly brainiacs but this is low hanging fruit.  Sark needs to win, and win big to start with.  IMO, the only game where we should be a decided underdog is the ou game.

Not sure what’s out there and if Anderson had gone public yet, but for you guys here, he chose ATM because he thinks Jimbo and ATM want him more. Don’t hate on me for that reason and I wish I had enough time to go in depth with y’all right now, but that’s it. Not some other big thing. Just thinks ATM needs and wants him more and he thinks he’ll play sooner there. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Throw in spinning our fucking wheels on  the NIL stuff, which is literally to me  is the most embarrassing development in the UT program in my lifetime and I don't know what to tell you, my man. 

Can't disagree with that. I mean, I get it that they were working on the SEC deal, but you're fucking Texas: put some people on the shit like a year ago and let them work. That would be much better than the alternative we're dealing with now.

Saw you say Spring 2022 as the soonest we'd have the NIL shit fixed. I know there's a lot involved in it, but if they can't put a group together to get something halfway respectable up and going before then, then we're really fucked on that front, and even further behind.

It makes sense to me that NIL is somehow perceived as a threat to fundraising at Belmont.  I mean I get more request for donations from every aspect of the University than the guy standing on the corner holding his "will work for food" sign.  Phone calls, mailings, emails, you name it. If feels like the University of Texas Soup Kitchen at times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I just really don't understand why/how CDC puts NIL under the charge of a career bureaucrat like Plonsky. She doesn't seem remotely capable of:

A) Understanding this movement towards player empowerment in college sports

B) Being knowledgeable around all of the various means/methods NIL can be leveraged

C) A critical enough thinker to look at competitive landscape and ensure Texas' NIL policies are sufficient

I get CDC has been busy with SEC move but still put someone better on this.

Maybe we should bring a top marketing and brand building firm to provide guidance with regard to NIL strategies. Epsilon out of Dallas or a company of that ilk.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At what level?

Our AD is great at fundraising, but is happy to sit back and not change the culture of the AD at Texas. See; Protect the Brand, Protect His Donations, Don't be Aggressive. He doesn't understand being an elite football program and what it takes. At a smaller level, our recruiting support staff is a horrible dumpster fire, and you can key that back to not pushing through Sark's first choice for the position, which is again on compliance (plonsky) which means it is yet again on CDC, who is always happy to take No for an answer until Hartzell has to get involved and cut up his dinner for him. Anyway, the support staff is fucking terrible. And unfortunately, there's little to no indication that Sark realizes this at all. But even if he does, you're still looking at a best case complete overhaul of his support staff after year 1, which not only isn't a good look, but is hardly a guarantee to fix anything, especially if we haven't fixed our fucking road blocks with compliance, see CDC. Throw in spinning our fucking wheels on  the NIL stuff, which is literally to me  is the most embarrassing development in the UT program in my lifetime and I don't know what to tell you, my man. 

Urban Meyer got one thing absolutely right: Texas needs an aggressive football only Athletic Director that's somewhat autonomous to CDC and focused solely on motherfucking football. 

Thanks, very disappointed and if it doesn't change fast we will become mid-tier( or worse) in the SEC

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Can't disagree with that. I mean, I get it that they were working on the SEC deal, but you're fucking Texas: put some people on the shit like a year ago and let them work. That would be much better than the alternative we're dealing with now.

Saw you say Spring 2022 as the soonest we'd have the NIL shit fixed. I know there's a lot involved in it, but if they can't put a group together to get something halfway respectable up and going before then, then we're really fucked on that front, and even further behind.

I referenced your alternative in my earlier post. A real solution, long term, isn't appearing over night. But in the short term, a group of boosters getting pro-active and actually figuring out how this stuff works on their own (AD isn't helping) and get some guys paid will work just fine. And that's a possibility, not even a bad one. But I don't know what's happening independently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Maybe we should bring a top marketing and brand building firm to provide guidance with regard to NIL strategies. Epsilon out of Dallas or a company of that ilk.

This is the type of shit we need to be doing

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-football-enters-into-group-NIL-licensing-agreement-to-allow-the-sale-of-jerseys-with-names-numbers-168656413/

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

Texas state law doesn't allow for Texas to make those kinds of deals.  Student-athletes in Texas aren't allowed to use any University branding and the University isn't allowed to enter into licensing deals with their athletes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

thinking his L-drill numbers might not have been so hot.  👀

haha. it's only cut off on the preview tweet - on the full tweet it's there (7.11) which is really good, esp for his size/position. 

We always called it a 3-cone but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, golfclap said:

haha. it's only cut off on the preview tweet - on the full tweet it's there (7.11) which is really good, esp for his size/position. 

We always called it a 3-cone but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same. 3-cone. Figured that's what "L" was, but good to know for sure. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

GSD&M is literally down the street and founded by UT grads.  Go ahead and create a business school undergrad/graduate classes focusing on NIL to speed this shit up while we are at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure what’s out there and if Anderson had gone public yet, but for you guys here, he chose ATM because he thinks Jimbo and ATM want him more. Don’t hate on me for that reason and I wish I had enough time to go in depth with y’all right now, but that’s it. Not some other big thing. Just thinks ATM needs and wants him more and he thinks he’ll play sooner there. 

Yikes

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

There isn’t much junior film on Kerry, but what is there looks fine and his testing numbers look fine.  It looks like he was an edge rusher almost exclusively, though, so I am not sure he’s a replacement for Patton and/Johnson.  

Just getting outworked by aggy for Anderson - before fall camp even started and when Jimbo left the country for an extended period in the middle of summer - is not a great harbinger for the Sark era.   The contrast between Sark and Beard continues to look pretty damn stark.

Anderson feels that Aggy wants him more because they paid him more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Just getting outworked by aggy for Anderson - before fall camp even started and when Jimbo left the country for an extended period in the middle of summer - is not a great harbinger for the Sark era.   The contrast between Sark and Beard continues to look pretty damn stark.

What's Sark's buyout?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas state law doesn't allow for Texas to make those kinds of deals.  Student-athletes in Texas aren't allowed to use any University branding and the University isn't allowed to enter into licensing deals with their athletes.

20 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Maybe we should bring a top marketing and brand building firm to provide guidance with regard to NIL srategies. Epsilon out of Dallas or a company of that ilk.

Within the rules applicable to Texas regarding NIL. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Other schools have definitely proven they want NIL more.

Those other schools you are talking about were openly cheating before NIL, now they don't have to even delete their texts about paying players. lol. I understand we are Texas...yada yada yada...but if we filled our roster with 4*'s and won 10 games a year for the next 5 years would any of you really be that angry? I'm just tired of going 7-6 or 8-5 man. 

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Often, when a higher ranked recruit states that one team just wanted them more, it's monetary.  Everybody wants and works towards recruiting good players.  

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

The resources available to this athletic department to have done ANYTHING on the NIL front are too many.

What are you talking about?  Our AD is 'proud' of all the work they've done - never mind that at this point all that work consists of is a few really crowded power point slides.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Sounds like we’re about tog get two more three stars which equals 6 stars. That’s more than 5 stars so eat shit aggy. 

I once had sex with a 6 3 times in one night.  Didn't feel great about it until my buddy dropped this wisdom on me:

"Well, 6 plus 3 equals 9.  So, it's kinda like you banged a 9."

Edited by Fondren & Main

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting