Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure what’s out there and if Anderson had gone public yet, but for you guys here, he chose ATM because he thinks Jimbo and ATM want him more. Don’t hate on me for that reason and I wish I had enough time to go in depth with y’all right now, but that’s it. Not some other big thing. Just thinks ATM needs and wants him more and he thinks he’ll play sooner there. 

Jimbo was on $afari and he wouldn't take $ark's call.  $ay no more, fam.

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At what level?

Our AD is great at fundraising, but is happy to sit back and not change the culture of the AD at Texas. See; Protect the Brand, Protect His Donations, Don't be Aggressive. He doesn't understand being an elite football program and what it takes. At a smaller level, our recruiting support staff is a horrible dumpster fire, and you can key that back to not pushing through Sark's first choice for the position, which is again on compliance (plonsky) which means it is yet again on CDC, who is always happy to take No for an answer until Hartzell has to get involved and cut up his dinner for him. Anyway, the support staff is fucking terrible. And unfortunately, there's little to no indication that Sark realizes this at all. But even if he does, you're still looking at a best case complete overhaul of his support staff after year 1, which not only isn't a good look, but is hardly a guarantee to fix anything, especially if we haven't fixed our fucking road blocks with compliance, see CDC. Throw in spinning our fucking wheels on  the NIL stuff, which is literally to me  is the most embarrassing development in the UT program in my lifetime and I don't know what to tell you, my man. 

Urban Meyer got one thing absolutely right: Texas needs an aggressive football only Athletic Director that's somewhat autonomous to CDC and focused solely on motherfucking football. 

At least it makes sense why Urban didn't want anything to do with us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I once had sex with a 6 3 times in one night.  Didn't feel great about it until my buddy dropped this wisdom on me:

"Well, 6 plus 3 equals 9.  So, it's kinda like you banged a 9."

Your buddy was always bad at word problems, wasn't he?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Often, when a higher ranked recruit states that one team just wanted them more, it's monetary.  Everybody wants and works towards recruiting good players.  

It's this and nothing but this... I just smells like the farmers are showering recruits with money.. they don't care about compliance, process or whatever CDC is pitching. Just put money in their hands and deal the issue when they sign. I can't see it any other way. They are who they are.. oily grifters and will do whatever is needed. Knife in a gun fight. 

@SydneyCarton is correct as well - the perfect storm - our inability to play the current NIL game and being out recruited. We shall see but I'm not holding my breadth for this class. We have, in my opinion, a very short window to get our talent level where we need it to be and hit the ground running when SEC play starts in 2022.

Edited by TexasBeta
  • Hook 'Em 1

After having some initial success with recruiting, this stuff hit a wall and then it was sideways to downhill from there. This trend started before the NIL and surely before the SEC move. Once again we have assembled a team that's learning on the job instead of coming in here and hitting the ground running. Many of the posters here were too busy drinking the kool-aid to see the warning signs right in front of us. 

As a fan and alum, I try to be optimistic that they will figure it out sooner than later but then again we did the same with Tom Herman and he never figured it out. Texas can land a top 10 class even with the most incompetent coach like Chuck. We should be doing much better now with all the positive momentum around our athletic program. As the HC, you can't rely on the AD to solve everything for you. You are the leader of your program. You ask the AD what you need and we have an AD now who can go the extra mile to get it done for the coach if it means more wins.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The people attributing losing Anderson because he was bought and we didn't pay enough are wrong and have their heads way up their ass. We got out-recruited, badly. 

Not to rain on your rage party sir but isn't fisher a pretty good recruiter? Legitimately?  No excuses though man but our head coach is always going to be "ole shit faced at a press conference guy" until he puts skins on the wall. Can we win with 3*'s and 4*'s if we coach them correctly? I'll hang up and listen Mr. Rome 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The people attributing losing Anderson because he was bought and we didn't pay enough are wrong and have their heads way up their ass. We got out-recruited, badly. 

Or we just base it on how aggy historically handles recruiting.  But that also wrongfully assumes Anderson is a kid that can be bought.  Burn us with your insider program knowledge.  Did Blake, Sark and/or Pete botch it?

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Agree with much of this, but CDC doesn’t strike me as a go the extra mile to get it done type of AD.   He’s a fundraiser, so he can get you things like facility upgrades, but he isn’t going to transform culture or be cutthroat about winning.

However, Hartzell and Eltife are above CDC’s head and can get things done, and it has been a while since we’ve had people in those positions who cared.  So, Sark still has better resources to get what he needs than our last few coaches who were dealing with University Presidents from Berkeley, Steve Patterson, interim athletic directors, etc.

I would agree with this take but given the type of success we have had in other programs since CDC came here, I would not count CDC as a hindrance to our success. If something is above his paygrade, I tend to believe he would escalate. Everything he does seem to revolve around building a winning program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Or we just base it on how aggy historically handles recruiting.  But that also wrongfully assumes Anderson is a kid that can be bought.  But burn us with your insider program knowledge.  Did Blake, Sark and/or Pete botch it?

Anderson didn't have his hand out. He almost committed to us multiple times in the past 4 months. And Fisher kept pushing him off his date. Sarkisian botched it with his laid back, not urgent attitude, and unfortunately it looks like that attitude is rolling downhill to guys who had been tireless recruiters, like Gideon. Gideon has now disappeared from several key recruitments. PK apparently is irritated at the recruiting demands at Texas and just wants to get to playing football. So to answer your question, if I had to blame one I'd probably blame Sarkisian but it sounds like there's more than clown fuckery for everyone to get a share of blame.

Anderson didn't come to Texas for two reasons 1) He didn't think Texas wanted him as bad as A&M and Texas was out-pitched and 2.) Anderson began to believe that Sark wasn't going to be able to recruit enough high caliber players to Texas so that they could win. 1 begets 2, and I don't know if you've noticed how recruiting has been going but it isn't exactly painting a contrary picture to #2 for ole Bryce Anderson. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

26 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I once had sex with a 6 3 times in one night.  Didn't feel great about it until my buddy dropped this wisdom on me:

"Well, 6 plus 3 equals 9.  So, it's kinda like you banged a 9."

So close! Once in the pooper and you’d a had a ten. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure what’s out there and if Anderson had gone public yet, but for you guys here, he chose ATM because he thinks Jimbo and ATM want him more. Don’t hate on me for that reason and I wish I had enough time to go in depth with y’all right now, but that’s it. Not some other big thing. Just thinks ATM needs and wants him more and he thinks he’ll play sooner there. 

Sad Balloon GIF by Chord Overstreet

Anderson didn't come to Texas for two reasons 1) He didn't think Texas wanted him as bad as A&M and Texas was out-pitched and 2.) Anderson began to believe that Sark wasn't going to be able to recruit enough high caliber players to Texas so that they could win.

Thanks. This is really, really bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Not to rain on your rage party sir but isn't fisher a pretty good recruiter? Legitimately?  No excuses though man but our head coach is always going to be "ole shit faced at a press conference guy" until he puts skins on the wall. Can we win with 3*'s and 4*'s if we coach them correctly? I'll hang up and listen Mr. Rome 

Lecture incoming...

• Haha 1

I'm not sure how many different ways you need someone to say "Anderson's Recruitment Wasn't About Money."

Some people haven't grasped yet that we've had one top 10 finish since 2010 yet want us recruit annually in the top 5.  Our recruiting is not bad right now but it's not likely to get better until results on the field do. Sark needs solid games on the field before we get any traction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I'm not sure why y'all need specifics on how we got out recruited when it's more than obvious that is what happened. Do the details really matter?

If all our pet heads are going to fall off, yeah.  Also, details help when preventing more accidents/train wrecks.  We certainly want every detail about a recruits performance measurements.  Aren't the details of recruiting also valuable?  Nobody said SC was wrong.  

I don't believe Texas can win with lesser talent. We just don't have that underdog culture as an institution and I think it's impossible to develop that kind of culture at a big program like Texas. Baylors and Techs of the world can get a good coach in and win with lesser talents because they are used to be underdogs. At a big program like Texas, you have to recruit well to win. There are no two ways about it. Hoping that we would win first with lesser talent and then more talent would come is just kicking the can down the road.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I don't believe Texas can win with lesser talent. We just don't have that underdog culture as an institution and I think it's impossible to develop that kind of culture at a big program like Texas. Baylors and Techs of the world can get a good coach in and win with lesser talents because they are used to be underdogs. At a big program like Texas, you have to recruit well to win. There are no two ways about it. Hoping that we would win first with lesser talent and then more talent would come is just kicking the can down the road.

Yep, Sark's predecessors won with 3 stars at 3 star schools. And they failed here.  One more than the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Herman actually did recruit well at first, but just didn't win. There's still talent on this roster that's not near as bad as you're making it sound. So yes, if Sark can coach the wheels off of this bitch and win this year while still in the Big 12, with some pretty fucking good talent, it'd help recruiting. Obviously, it'd help if they were just stellar at recruiting regardless, but here we are.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

What lesser talent are you referring to? The linebacker we just landed is damn near 230lbs and runs a sub 4.5. 

Edited by CastHorn
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Some people haven't grasped yet that we've had one top 10 finish since 2010 yet want us recruit annually in the top 5.  Our recruiting is not bad right now but it's not likely to get better until results on the field do. Sark needs solid games on the field before we get any traction.

fundamentally disagree. With a good staff and support staff we’d be killing it now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bryan Allen Jr is a pretty good safety already committed (verbally anyway).  Why wouldn't Anderson want to play alongside Allen?  Texas has good defensive linemen and a good dlineman already committed as well.  I don't know what the linebackers look like, nor DE's which is probably what everybody is waiting to see.  I still think all this is early btw, because Texas has new coaches and we haven't been able to see the product.  

It is worrisome if a coach is passive in that you want them to be detail oriented and aggressive.  That doesn't mean they aren't though.  Or I'm hoping real hard this isn't the case.

Edited by Mdhorn

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Herman actually did recruit well at first, but just didn't win. There's still talent on this roster that's not near as bad as you're making it sound. So yes, if Sark can coach the wheels off of this bitch and win this year while still in the Big 12, with some pretty fucking good talent, it'd help recruiting. Obviously, it'd help if they were just stellar at recruiting regardless.

I am not saying Sark can't win with the current roster. He certainly can but he needs to keep up in recruiting in order to sustain any success. OU's talent is equal, if not better than us now. That game is always a tossup but we can't afford to lose to lesser teams when our hope is that winning on the field would alleviate our recruiting woes. We lose one or two games we shouldn't be losing and everyone would saying, here we go again. 

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The disappointing part about this is one of the main selling points for Sark was his desire to invest in a staff willing to recruit.  I thought there was a greater chance of seeing our staff wind up in a cocaine fueled binder than getting out hustled on the recruiting trail. 

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure how many different ways you need someone to say "Anderson's Recruitment Wasn't About Money."

It was the exact same thing around here after Banks. At no point in his recruitment was anyone suggesting that he had his hand out. Then he commits to Oregon and all of a sudden the Surly party line is Oregon straight up bought him. Maybe they did, or maybe NIL changed things in a huge way overnight, but that would have been a huge turnaround from the conventional wisdom that had prevailed for months on that recruitment.

• Like 1

so we are or aren't playing the bag game?

makes no sense to join a league where the bag game is standard recruiting practice and then not play the game. that's just a recipe to insuring that we continue to lose a shitton of recruits.

at the very least, we should be doing what everyone else does, pay for visits.

i don't understand trying to be the one ethical dude among a merry band of cheaters.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, crash_davis said:

makes no sense to join a league where the bag game is standard recruiting practice and then not play the game. that's just a recipe to insuring that we continue to lose a shitton of recruits.

i don't understand trying to be the one ethical dude among a merry band of cheaters.

We’re Texas! We will win the right way with hard work, dedication, and kids who just want to be here! /s

• Like 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

Its not about ethics and it never has been, with Texas its always been about money and arrogance. They don't wan to dip into their revenue and we arrogantly believe people should want to be here because we're Texas damnit.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So when can I expect Hartzell and Eltife to go up to the AD and say “adjust or die”?

31 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Exactly.  Anyone yelling "corch 'em up" is going to be sorely disappointed.  The lack of urgency to close on some of these top guys is amazing. 

• Fuck You 3

12 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

So when can I expect Hartzell and Eltife to go up to the AD and say “adjust or die”?

These dudes aren't idiots, at least I hope not. I would think they had several meetings with the coaching staff about what it would take to win in the SEC. In that discussion, I would assume that recruiting against the other SEC schools would have been discussed. Hopefully everyone agreed that we can't continue doing what we are doing and hope that it will all magically change just because we have SEC on our jerseys. This shitshow will only get worse if we start losing to the other SEC schools which would torpedo our recruiting even more.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I would assume that in making the decision to move to the SEC, the administration, coaching staff, and boosters are prepared to do whatever is necessary to compete. 

Because if we didn't make that decision, then we are going to suck for years to come. But hey, we are making more money!

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I remember reading somewhere that Eltife follows recruiting like many of us. He has to be concerned by losing the 5* recruits who were leaning heavily to us.

Agreed this is the good news.  He (and Hartzell for that matter) didn't work his ass off orchestrating a super secret plan to get us into the SEC only to sit by and watch us get our ass kicked in recruiting.  If Plonsky holding NIL shit up is part of the problem I'm sure that will get solved.  If Sark doesn't have the resources or plan in place to recruit at a high level I have no doubt they will call his ass out and offer whatever resources they can to fix it.    Unfortunately I don't think our administration is ever going to condone the 'bag game' at the level of our competitors but we can sure as shit figure out a way to maximize NIL to mitigate that issue.  And maybe our boosters just need to figure out how the hell to do it correctly under the radar given that it's clearly a damn artform in the SEC.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting