Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/street-protests-break-out-cuba-2021-07-11/

HAVANA, July 11 (Reuters) - Thousands of Cubans took to the streets from Havana to Santiago on Sunday in rarely seen protests, expressing frustration over economic conditions, the pace of COVID-19 vaccinations and what they said was government neglect.

President Miguel Diaz-Canel, who also heads the Communist Party, blamed the United States for the unrest in a nationally televised speech on Sunday afternoon.

Special forces jeeps, with machine guns mounted on the back, were seen in the capital, Havana, and Diaz-Canel called on supporters to confront “provocations."

Thousands of people gathered in downtown Havana and along parts of the seaside drive amid a heavy police presence. There were a few arrests and scuffles.

29 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/street-protests-break-out-cuba-2021-07-11/

HAVANA, July 11 (Reuters) - Thousands of Cubans took to the streets from Havana to Santiago on Sunday in rarely seen protests, expressing frustration over economic conditions, the pace of COVID-19 vaccinations and what they said was government neglect.

President Miguel Diaz-Canel, who also heads the Communist Party, blamed the United States for the unrest in a nationally televised speech on Sunday afternoon.

Special forces jeeps, with machine guns mounted on the back, were seen in the capital, Havana, and Diaz-Canel called on supporters to confront “provocations."

Thousands of people gathered in downtown Havana and along parts of the seaside drive amid a heavy police presence. There were a few arrests and scuffles.

tenor.gif?itemid=3931946

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

This could be the real deal. Got a call from family that there are protests in their small village, population roughly 100.  This type of shit never happens outside the major cities.   They havent seen unbridled open outrage like this before. 

Yeah, some friends with family in Cuba said the covid shit was really bad (like India or Brazil bad), and the government was playing games and pretending like everything was fine.  They also said there's rumors of only the wealthier/connected folks getting treated, getting vaccines, etc.

It's 2021, so there's always a chance that shit will go sideways and things might actually happen down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just wonder if some big wigs (tired of the shit there), talked to a few people in the US that can get shit done. And the US side said something like “If this is for real this time, we fully have your back.”

Edited by Rip76

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

I just wonder if some big wigs (tired of the shit there), talked to a few people in the US that can get shit done, and the US side said something like “If this is for real this time, we fully have your back.

If they opened that place up to Americans, with some investments, they'd be pulling in a shitload of tourists (and their money) who are getting antsy about going to Mexico.

Sandals would be pumping out ads left and right.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I just wonder if some big wigs (tired of the shit there), talked to a few people in the US that can get shit done. And the US side said something like “If this is for real this time, we fully have your back.

I can almost guarantee that did NOT happen.

It's interesting and revealing which politicians and celebrities have tweeted out support for the Cuban protesters and which have been silent thus far.

And fuck anyone who says that America is irredeemable.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

This thread next stop:  CR

Before then I hope the commie bastards get run out.  Of course, I have no clue who will be in charge thereafter.  

Good luck, Cuba. 

That’s my fear. While it’s horrible now, it’s safe. 

I don’t want an Arab spring or Mexican narco style Civil war. 

Edited by Xian

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Nah.  Would get too CR if I did.  Look for yourself.

I can guess which side of the political aisle is supporting the people. I was just curious which celebrities were speaking up about it. as stupid as that sounds, our vapid culture bows at the altar of celebrities and their social media accounts. their influence is undeniable. 

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, some friends with family in Cuba said the covid shit was really bad (like India or Brazil bad), and the government was playing games and pretending like everything was fine.  They also said there's rumors of only the wealthier/connected folks getting treated, getting vaccines, etc.

It's 2021, so there's always a chance that shit will go sideways and things might actually happen down there.

Yeah. Covid has been horrible. The official numbers are crap. The cities have me been under lockdown with armed patrols enforcing curfew. It has gotten so bad that the matriarch’s oldest had to “take a leave” from his job and move to havanna to take care of her.

speaking of which. He is one smart dude.  Had a full ride to MIT for electrical engineering, but the Cuban government last minute decided he was a flight risk and couldn’t go, and sent him to some prestigious university in Moscow.  Life worked out. he runs the local electrical grid in the province next to havanna making a whopping 7 dollars a month. 
Laugh/cry 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Supposedly this is even bigger than the 1994 stuff.  El Presidente is asking his supporters to take to the streets and fight the people rebelling.

Would be awesome if this does finally open that place up.  Unfortunate that it takes covid to fuck a lot of things up for them to reach this point.

That AP photographer is smart.  If he had Canon or Nikon gear, it would have already been on its way to a Miami pawnshop, but it's Sony, so nobody cares.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Xian said:

For those that dont know, things have gotten BAD there.   Getting close to the “dark days” post soviet union collapse. 

You get like one bag of rice a month if you are lucky.   In the past this wasnt a big deal since they could buy supplies in the store from money sent from US kinfolk.

Now the stores are empty. Zero bread, rice, basic staples. Zero medication.  We have to send basic antibiotics and diapers to family via courier (matriarch of the family suffered from an undiagnosed stroke and is now bed ridden).   

Shit is bad.  Im really worried about my little 2 year old nephew in havana. He is horribly underweight due to lack of food. we have tried to get him over, but his mom refuses to make the jump. 

Thankfully family in the small village can hunt for food (with home made shotguns and shells). They bring in duck hauls that would make a coonass blush. 

It's fucking sad that's the case even before Covid. Seriously, communism is a scourge.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xian said:

Yeah. Covid has been horrible. The official numbers are crap. The cities have me been under lockdown with armed patrols enforcing curfew. It has gotten so bad that the matriarch’s oldest had to “take a leave” from his job and move to havanna to take care of her.

speaking of which. He is one smart dude.  Had a full ride to MIT for electrical engineering, but the Cuban government last minute decided he was a flight risk and couldn’t go, and sent him to some prestigious university in Moscow.  Life worked out. he runs the local electrical grid in the province next to havanna making a whopping 7 dollars a month. 
Laugh/cry 

That's a 'put shit in perspective story'. Thanks for sharing. 

So, without going CR, what is the US Government's best play here?

It’s funny because the only CR-esque content in this thread is people very obviously trying to bait conflict.

Short term you kind of just see where it goes I suppose. The US doesn’t have a ton in the Cuba toolbox outside of using force, which is obviously a really significant threshold.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1