What the fuck is wrong with you, Lamesa?

Brisketexan

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I also have some questions about Mexia, for what it's worth.

About 30 years ago I drove Mrs. Brat (a Texas Health Department bureaucrat) to administer some kind test for med aide people at the Mexia State School.

I waited in the car out front for her during the 2 hour meeting and passed half the time reading a book, but was interrupted for almost an hour by a nice young special needs resident who stopped by to chat. We had a pleasant but simple conversation before she remembered where she was supposed to be going on campus.

That’s all I have about the place..... except for the local girl Anna Nicole Smith who became a Playboy centerfold, married an old billionaire, then OD’d in the Bahamas.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, deadshank said:

If this guy is from Lamesa then not much is wrong with Lamesa.

Song for My Father: The house that Don Walser built, 1934-2006 - Music -  The Austin Chronicle

This!  Saw him play at Caravan of Dreams several times while working there-he and his wife were some of the most down to earth humble people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and NOBODY could yodel like DW. 

My question is what the fuck is wrong with Old Dime Box?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't have any particular news story to link.  I just wanted to ask what the fuck is wrong with Lamesa.

I mean, I thought that's a thing we're doing now.

I also have some questions about Mexia, for what it's worth.

How does Lamesa compare to Lometa?

Goddammit Brisket! I thought something happened out that way. My dad grew up there and I'd go visit a couple of weeks every summer as a kid. Been ages since I've been out that there but only have fond memories of being spoiled out there. Back when my Pepa could slip me a dollar and I could buy a Coke, a candy bar, and a comic book down at the Piggly Wiggly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Goddammit Brisket! I thought something happened out that way. My dad grew up there and I'd go visit a couple of weeks every summer as a kid. Been ages since I've been out that there but only have fond memories of being spoiled out there. Back when my Pepa could slip me a dollar and I could buy a Coke, a candy bar, and a comic book down at the Piggly Wiggly.

I think some shit went down in Muleshoe if that helps.

All they had was some historic flooding three weeks ago…If they invented chicken fried steak I’d say it’s a damn cool place then…I mean they host the chicken fried steak festival. Unfortunately, that was back in April. Have to wait until 2022…darn

My great great grandfather was I believe the first county judge of Dawson County and one of the original settlers of Lamesa as a cotton farmer and my mom was born there so this literally hits close to home. He also had the foresight to buy up oil and mineral rights all over that part of the state before it was a thing, so thank you from the family.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

La Mesa is a pretty nice town.  [mention=1111]Gil Bang[/mention] can help you find a nice place.  Pretty pricey I believe.

City-of-La-Mesa.jpg
Is their high school mascot as cool as the Golden Tornadoes? I think not. Advantage Lamesa.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That’s all I have about the place..... except for the local girl Anna Nicole Smith who became a Playboy centerfold, married an old billionaire, then OD’d in the Bahamas.

We had a taxi drive in Nassau offer to take us by her grave. Apparently it's high on the list of tourist attractions. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

How does Lamesa compare to Lometa?

My Lometa CSB- On my way to San Saba in January I was dinged for a speeding ticket in Lometa. My first ticket in about 30 years. Bastard cop was waiting just past the turnoff to 190 from 183, just where there’s a nice drop in the speed limit. 

But I will say that the lady I dealt with in the Muni Court to resolve the ticket was pleasant. 

So what’s wrong with Lometa in my book? Speed traps. But you’ll be treated well by city staff as they rake you over for a couple hundred bucks in fines and fees. A mixed bag. 

Just now, J-Mart said:

My Lometa CSB- On my way to San Saba in January I was dinged for a speeding ticket in Lometa. My first ticket in about 30 years. Bastard cop was waiting just past the turnoff to 190 from 183, just where there’s a nice drop in the speed limit. 

But I will say that the lady I dealt with in the Muni Court to resolve the ticket was pleasant. 

So what’s wrong with Lometa in my book? Speed traps. But you’ll be treated well by city staff as they rake you over for a couple hundred bucks in fines and fees. A mixed bag. 

Pretty much the same for me. Got busted next to the Dairy Queen. Female police officer from the valley. I talked to her for awhile and she let me off.

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Mexia class of '85 here.  Go Blackcats, 1989 State Champions.

She was 3 or 4 years behind me.  Skinny as a bean pole.

Had a week-long jury trial in Groesbeck back in the day.  Stayed in Mexia.  One day, on a lark, decided to swing by Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken, thinking that they would have capitalized on their brush with fame and sell t-shirts or mugs or something.  I'd get one, it would be good for an inside joke chuckle with my guy friends.  Nope, they don't have any merch.  Leaving money on the table.

The old DQ had been converted to a damned good italian joint by a Croatian (I think) immigrant, so that was nice.  We ate there several times.

All they had was some historic flooding three weeks ago…If they invented chicken fried steak I’d say it’s a damn cool place then…I mean they host the chicken fried steak festival. Unfortunately, that was back in April. Have to wait until 2022…darn

So the story goes the diner put down the specials as:

Chicken
Fried Steak (as in pan fried steak)

A customer asked for chicken fried steak and the rest is history
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

csb

Had a blowout in Floydada once and was cheerily educated on the eponyms, siblings Floyd and Ada. "So you see, it's not 'Floydada' at all," explained the tire repairman, "it's 'Floydada!' (pronouncing it exactly the same way)".

/csb

This story would not work if I had been travelling through Iraan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Cajun said:

I think some shit went down in Muleshoe if that helps.

Hometown  of Lincoln Riley…if that makes a difference to anyone on here.

11 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

csb

Had a blowout in Floydada once and was cheerily educated on the eponyms, siblings Floyd and Ada. "So you see, it's not 'Floydada' at all," explained the tire repairman, "it's 'Floydada!' (pronouncing it exactly the same way)".

/csb

This story would not work if I had been travelling through Iraan.

Ira Anne

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J-Mart said:

You too huh? 

Goddamn speed trap town.