The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

I’m way overdue to service my speedy, and while it may just be new baby fatigue making me forget to wind it I think it’s finally getting a little weird. What’s the prevailing wisdom - send it to omega? There’s a local shop that I think is fairly competent, they serviced my seiko pogue and I think did a good job. But the omega worth a fair bit more.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:47 AM, 52-80 said:

GS SBGA129
KS SPB281J1 

dirty secret is im starting to prefer the KS for its case design and smaller size. also sorta want a vintage KS that has the gold colored coin on the back. newer one is in silver/steel

How's the accuracy/precision on your KS? The re-release in 37 mm had me drooling the second I laid eyes on it, but the 6r31 movement in a $1.5K watch gave me pause.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

How's the accuracy/precision on your KS? The re-release in 37 mm had me drooling the second I laid eyes on it, but the 6r31 movement in a $1.5K watch gave me pause.

I no longer track daily +/-, but I wore it for a month straight and I don't think it went +/- 2 minutes from reference.  It's rare to get something in this case size and the bracelet is great too

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:25 PM, bluto said:

Inherited this guy today, needs a new strap and servicing. original receipt $1600 in 1980IMG_5446.thumb.png.813f6f96a9b26fa8274c329060c6d413.png

There are services that will refurb the strap and get rid of the slack. I think it ends up slightly cheaper and you get to keep the original.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:16 PM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Got this sweet watch today at Costco7bf7c40442b1b517ccd5f550a9ab865d.jpg

That's pretty cool. Not often you see a world time watch that can track Kathmandu time (GMT+5:45). Even the Casio 5235 and Citizen H149 radio-controlled world time movements in the Oceanus and Attesa lines only cover the half-hour offset zones.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:49 AM, dieucla98 said:

There are services that will refurb the strap and get rid of the slack. I think it ends up slightly cheaper and you get to keep the original.

I can personally vouch for Rolliworks. The wait is a bit longer than most but I haven’t seen anything like the restoration that comes out of that place. They did a bracelet on a 1601 Datejust I inherited and it way exceeded my expectations. I’ve got photos floating around somewhere i’ll post as a reference. 

https://www.rolliworks.com

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Another great looking watch. Not cheap enough for the affordable watches thread but not terribly expensive. Sphaera Desk Diver. 

2024_0225_19203400(2).thumb.jpg.b46502c001ccf9ebae4c07cf918e7bb6.jpg

Looks like a tank, love the colors, metals, and screws. If they had used a different font for the numerals, I'd be sold. I'd just look at that and think it's "G o'clock", which sounds like a rap lyric.

• Like 1

Looks like a tank, love the colors, metals, and screws. If they had used a different font for the numerals, I'd be sold. I'd just look at that and think it's "G o'clock", which sounds like a rap lyric.
I'm kind of in love with it. The sandblasted case, the circular brushed bezel with the screws. Really domed bezel. Fat lugs. I like the font and the sandwich dial has lots of lume. I see the G instead of the 6, but that doesn't bother me because it's a unique font. It's a great looking watch in person. Under $1500, although I went with the acrylic crystal instead of the sapphire because I prefer it. I think sapphire adds a couple hundred dollars.

Seriously though, and it isn't at the same price point and closing in on 3k, this Vertex M100A is one of the best watches I've come across. Everything about it is excellent.

The 3D like blows anything else out of the water. I toned down the brightness on the second photo because it was too bright.

This one isn't mine but it's definitely one I've added to my list for the future.2024_0227_22564700 (3).jpg2024_0223_23224000 (2).jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Ha that was still at the store.  Condom off now lol  Don’t want to be accused of being rocko, unless you want to see my corvette and W2

IMG_7819.png

Wow. The most humble of humble brags I've seen in quite a while.

Anyone been eyeing the new white dial Speedmaster that Omega released last Tuesday?  It's the one Daniel Craig was caught wearing last year.  It's a limited release right now, and supposed to be a regular in the lineup later. Three strap options, the rubber strap has a moon surface texture on the inside.

I have a 40th anniversary Speedy, my only Speedy...my forever Speedy.  But this one is calling me too....he applied omega logo and indices are hot.

image.thumb.png.f5db488bbd2dbe6db99356b62bf0f7cf.png

image.thumb.png.55e856c68deb30fefccb8ddd1ffec360.png

image.thumb.png.ae457ebe43090e726557c32568e46220.png

Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 11:58 AM, satyanash said:

A 1971 Omega Speedmaster Mark II Professional. Made famous as the watch first worn on the moon by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (if you hadn't had that hammered into your head already by Omega's numerous marketing campaigns). This watch had the Lemania-based calibre 861 movement, which ditched the column wheel in favour of a cam system. This watch was designed as the successor to the original Professional, and has a more 'modern' design as well as a mineral crystal.

20240323_160213.thumb.jpg.48216f6016e1108988d188aac928b9be.jpg

The Apollo astronauts most certainly did not wear 1971 Speedmaster Mark II's on the Moon in 1969.

Neil and Buzz both wore Speedmaster Professional ref 105.012. Only Buzz wore his on the surface. Michael Collins wore ref 145.012.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/chronograph-armstrong-apollo-11/nasm_A19731247000
https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/chronograph-collins-apollo-11/nasm_A19900272000
https://www.fratellowatches.com/astronaut-michael-collins-omega-speedmaster-professional-145-012/
You can see Buzz wearing his here: https://airandspace.si.edu/explore/stories/buzz-aldrin
And the cal 861 was not worn on the Moon https://www.fratellowatches.com/52-years-ago-today-the-omega-speedmaster-became-the-moonwatch/

Which is to say, you should go back to the museum and wreck the place for being wrong

• Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.32e2532aa6f4fa3a2419ab566f3a4f50.jpeg

My latest acquisition. Speedmaster Mark III c. 1973. It’s by no means a small watch, but it still wears surprisingly well imo. It has that 70’s funk, chunk, and heft but isn’t gaudy like the 50+mm watches that were popular a few years ago

https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-professional-mark-iii-176-002/

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 4:21 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Very cool from the museum! RGM is pretty badass as well.

Yeah, RGM has a location right down the road in Mount Joy, near the old Hamilton Watch Factory that closed down when Hamilton shifted operations to Switzerland.

The museum has some cool exhibits, including a large model of a watch movement for kids to play around with, an exhibit on old Japanese pocket watches (in traditional Asian watches the dial rotates as well as the hands), and an exhibit on James Bond's watches that was unfortunately undergoing renovation when we were there. They also have a large pocket watch collection, as well as a fully reproduced 19th century watch shop.

They also used to have an intricate handmade wooden clock, but some idiot destroyed it.

• Like 1

Yeah, RGM has a location right down the road in Mount Joy, near the old Hamilton Watch Factory that closed down when Hamilton shifted operations to Switzerland.
The museum has some cool exhibits, including a large model of a watch movement for kids to play around with, an exhibit on old Japanese pocket watches (in traditional Asian watches the dial rotates as well as the hands), and an exhibit on James Bond's watches that was unfortunately undergoing renovation when we were there. They also have a large pocket watch collection, as well as a fully reproduced 19th century watch shop.
They also used to have an intricate handmade wooden clock, but some idiot destroyed it.

Very cool. They took one is their guilloche machines to WatchTime and demonstrated how it worked. Amazing stuff. I would like to get one someday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 5:09 AM, Superhero said:

IMO, this best describes my thought on Breitling watch dials.

image.thumb.jpeg.be6e8ac870720d6eec2eb3a71c980d59.jpeg

how i feel reading a breitling dial:

10811.gif

12 hours ago, ITHorn said:

Have been on "wait list" for a no date Submariner for a while now. The new Tudor Black Bay Monochrome looks like it might scratch that itch at less than half the price. 

nice thing about tudor imo for the submarine-style is that you get much more options with case size and dial colors

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Stumbled across this on Reddit.

If you're interested in an Arcanaut, I know those guys personally. Just hung out with them a few weeks ago. They will show you the dials that are working on and you can pick one out. They have some that are linear and then some that are ripple milled and are 3D looking.

One of the main guys is James Thompson who is known as Black Badger. He is kind of a mad scientist and works on some crazy lume shit for some super high end brands.