Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That is a lot of fucking sunshine being taken for granted, and a lot of real, real positive assumptions for some generally 3 star talents like Wykoff. You're bordering on some Aggy "diamonds in the rough" levels of delusion in here, my man. And pulling these uncut gems from places like Connecticut? Yeah, I'll take the field on this one. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Well then you and CTJ, being surlys 1%ers, better go out and start handing out bags and doing a reunion party for Blake to jar up some old nostalgia 

Ha. You think Blake needs money, and that's what is driving all of this? Maybe we should have shown up to the Walker Little Household with 10k in cash as well so they could have used it as TP after wareheim left. It would have made all the difference. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. You think Blake needs money, and that's what is driving all of this? Maybe we should have shown up to the Walker Little Household with 10k in cash as well so they could have used it as TP after wareheim left. It would have made all the difference. 

I said a reunion for Blake to jar up some old nostalgia..and yes..kids love cash...  even if their parents are loaded

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, using common sense that commit and Boulware tweet are 99% for King. Would love for Wheaton to be a next guy off the board for us. That would be as fabulous as Wheaton is, to be frank. But I think the OU twits keep forgetting that Boulware is our TE coach, not our RB coach...

Yeah, but he was probably recruiting Wheaton at OU, just like the Virginia RB, and Drayton needs help apparently. If Texas can close on Wheaton, the high comedy of watching  ou/aggy/lsu maybe have to fight it out for Johnson will be a welcome distraction from the current the consternation about WR/OL recruiting.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not sure how the board will feel with a Mukuba/Coffey combination at Safety.

I'm good with it, but I'm a big Mukuba fan and I think it's highly possible that he ends up top 15 in the state, deservedly. I'd like to the staff circle back around on Cisco Caston, honestly. Coffey is fine, ditto Nwokobia -  but I expect they'd likely be depth at Texas -- esp considering that 2022 is one of those years where every regional school is going to sign a good class at DB,  It's incredibly deep. Caston has a better frame and way more athletic upside and being sandwiched between the 2020 and 2022 classes, I'd rather take a really high upside athlete. I don't see any other 2021 S prospects in TX, CA, or LA that look like late risers  (zone CB with bigger frames that might be worth watching)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Front seven + O-line. We should take up to 5 D-linemen if we can since 2021 is so strong there, and three LBs depending on who grows into a defensive end and who doesn't.

If we take 5 DL and 3 LB I think a very realistic haul could be Sander, Harris, ( already committed, edge rushers ), Smith ( edge rusher), Thomas ( SDE/DT ), and Turner ( DT ).  If Burris wants in you take him.

At LB Cooks, Williams, and Blackwell or Willis ( visit pending ).

And some of this could change depending on if any OOS offers visit.

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone tell me how this OL class will be great without the Brocks, Savion Byrd, Bryce Foster, and Donovan Jackson, please. 

It won't be great without Tommy Brockermeyer but let's be completely real for a second -- the issue that everyone has with the Brocks going anywhere but Texas is fully because of their legacy status and that cuts both ways. Foster would already be a Longhorn if it weren't for his stupid fuckass aggy family. Jackson was never coming here. Ever. EVER. So adding those  names to your list is disingenuous. Jackson was a never from the drop and clearly Foster's mother means that he was always a no despite the staff having done a fantastic job on him. I like Jonah Miller a lot more than Fatheree and am more than good with one of Miller, Wykoff, or Cade joining this class at the expense of Byrd. I just don't see it with Fatheree at all. 

I don't know what to make of Byrd. He has tremendous upside but he is by far the biggest project of any of the OL offers. His fucky recruitment and the fact that has only been playing defense makes the entire thing even harder to figure out. I'd love to have him in the class but outside of the rankings - he's a massive boom/bust prospect. He's a perfect pairing with Tommy in the fold, but if you don't get the Brockermeyers then I think it's probably better to have Miller and Wykoff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   and no, that wouldn't be great. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 5

Had we won the ou game last year and not given up 11 sacks, Jackson would be a Texas commit.   Our OL had come off a dominant performance against LSU and we were playing decently well up until Hand and Herman shit the bed against simple stuntS in the RRR.  He was close to shutting it down last year before Herman and his staff fucked themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It won't be great without Tommy Brockermeyer but let's be completely real for a second -- the issue that everyone has with the Brocks going anywhere but Texas is fully because of their legacy status and that cuts both ways. Foster would already be a Longhorn if it weren't for his stupid fuckass aggy family. Jackson was never coming here. Ever. EVER. So adding those  names to your list is disingenuous. Jackson was a never from the drop and clearly Foster's mother means that he was always a no despite the staff having done a fantastic job on him. I like Jonah Miller a lot more than Fatheree and am more than good with one of Miller, Wykoff, or Cade joining this class at the expense of Byrd. I just don't see it with Fatheree at all. 

I don't know what to make of Byrd. He has tremendous upside but he is by far the biggest project of any of the OL offers. His fucky recruitment and the fact that has only been playing defense makes the entire thing even harder to figure out. I'd love to have him in the class but outside of the rankings - he's a massive boom/bust prospect. He's a perfect pairing with Tommy in the fold, but if you don't get the Brockermeyers then I think it's probably better to have Miller and Wykoff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   and no, that wouldn't be great. 

This is a wildly roundabout post that both agrees with me while disagreeing with me at the same time. 

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  He can go walkon at Bama and get a third rate degree from there.  Fuck them.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  Fuck them.

Holy fuck 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  Fuck them.

never-go-full-retard-tee_design.png

• Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

Satya, is that you? I found a visual illustration of your post.

arrested-development-j-walter-weatherman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm here as well. Without the Brocks, this isn't going to sniff being a great class, and it might not sniff being a "Good" class. The Arizona kid is fine, but lets not conflate the fact that it is a banner year at O-Line in Texas and it will be a banner year for Texas. The Brocks make or break it, unless something else DRASTICALLY changes between now and the fall, and that doesn't look likely. Byrd is trending far away from Texas. Jackson is committed to Ohio State. Foster seems destined for OU currently.  If we don't land the brocks, this position for this class becomes a big ole' fat, stinky, turd. It won't just be a shit class, it will be a wildly shit class considering the talent that was available in Texas and us basically whiffing on every one of them. 

Someone tell me how this OL class will be great without the Brocks, Savion Byrd, Bryce Foster, and Donovan Jackson, please. 

I will tell you in 2 or 3 years from now.

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Also, I agree,  Jackson isn’t happening anymore. I’m also okay with passing on Byrd for those same reasons.  Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  His mother will disown him before allowing him to sign with Texas.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.  They skipped out on our elite junior day.  They visited Bama twice in the spring and then proceeded to set up two official visits to them, one of them being the last visit before their imminent commitment date.  Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  He can go walkon at Bama and get a third rate degree from there.  Fuck them.

straightjacket-gif-3.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I'm good with it, but I'm a big Mukuba fan and I think it's highly possible that he ends up top 15 in the state, deservedly. I'd like to the staff circle back around on Cisco Caston, honestly. Coffey is fine, ditto Nwokobia -  but I expect they'd likely be depth at Texas -- esp considering that 2022 is one of those years where every regional school is going to sign a good class at DB,  It's incredibly deep. Caston has a better frame and way more athletic upside and being sandwiched between the 2020 and 2022 classes, I'd rather take a really high upside athlete. I don't see any other 2021 S prospects in TX, CA, or LA that look like late risers  (zone CB with bigger frames that might be worth watching)

I’m with you in Mukuba. He’s damn good and he’ll rightfully rise in the rankings. I don’t see it with Coffey. To me, he’s a low ceiling guy you keep warm to see if there are any late risers. Maybe the likelihood of no HS FB is changing the calculus for them and they’d rather have Coffey in the boat now. A Mukuba/Coffey duo is fine, but I’d like an upgrade over Coffey in that scenario. 

36 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Bruh, get a grip. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Lulz at Herman getting worked by Ogre. Recruits can't understand a fucking thing Ogre says and they still commit to him anyway.

Herman is Mensa which makes him keenly aware of where his dick is that he keeps stepping on.

Orgeron has always been a recruiting witch (yeah I have no idea how either, but a fact is a fact), and now he has a national championship and half of his team getting drafted to sell. No need to act like he's some random chucklefuck just to make yourself feel worse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Orgeron has always been a recruiting witch (yeah I have no idea how either, but a fact is a fact), and now he has a national championship and half of his team getting drafted to sell. No need to act like he's some random chucklefuck just to make yourself feel worse.

Exactly, Farmer Fran has always done work.  Now, if Herm was getting his ass whipped by Farmer Bimbo I'd be concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Satya, is that you? I found a visual illustration of your post.

arrested-development-j-walter-weatherman

Haha I knew that post would get a fun reaction.  

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

victory has been known to get a little emotional. He's just feeling verklempt.

What fun is following recruiting if you don’t ride the rollercoaster of emotions?  

• Like 1

Nothing new in the scoop this week. They think Jaydon commits to the good guys on Friday and Nwokobia goes to SMU. Little feature on Coffey to get subs to accept he'll be in the class. SC leads for Michael Jackson III. WR board is probably Presley, Jackson, Knox, in that order. Nothing we didn't already know. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Conner, Wykoff, Miller or Walden (would guess Walden), maybe Lehrer as the Cosmi/Willams take, Tristan Bounds' tape is nuts and I think he's probably underrated due to region and competition, and Byrd isn't off the table yet. Neither is Foster. D-Jack may also still be flippable with a good season. If the Brocks don't come, I think Walden and Wykoff jump in. If not Walden, then maybe Lehrer. 

That is pure, TexAgs level fanboy spin right there. 

Edited by Newy25

The Inside Scoop - 4/27/20

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

Team details, how the state of Texas' neighbors affect the University of Texas' recruiting efforts, and where the Longhorns stand with a few different skill players.

Last Dance is must-see TV. No, really, the team must see it. It’s mandatory. Not only is it an enjoyable way to spend time during virus life, Tom Herman wants his charges to understand the mentality it takes to win at the highest level. He wants them to see what happens when the most talented in the room are also the most driven. It’s a valuable life lesson to know we all have Jerry Krauses to overcome.

Saturday was supposed to be the Spring game. There was no stand-in virtual game to take its place. Saturday was also going to signal the end of Spring ball but Herman elected to tack on another week of meetings and supervision. I think meetings are Monday through Thursday with quizzes on Friday. There’s a team portion, position group portion, and then finally a special teams meeting that receives as equal weight as the others.

From what I’ve heard regarding those meetings, Herman is enjoying being a head coach rather than offensive coordinator. He’s energetically in and out of meetings regardless side of the ball or position. In the past Herman has broken up the team into 10 divisions with 8 team leaders. The same held true throughout the last month or two (seriously, how long have we been doing this?) just with different teams. Those teams also consist of S&C supervision to help ensure players are finding ways to get through workouts.

Accountability and structure are as high as ever. You even have to sit in the meetings the same way you would in a classroom. The staff is cautiously optimistic the players will return to Austin in as good of shape as can be expected. Weights have been monitored and there’s no cause for alarm. I can say the staff has done everything it can to ensure there are no excuses for these players showing up in poor shape. [Speaking of weight, I asked about weights from the roster: “A lot of those weights were from January. A guy like Vaughns weighs around 240 and is climbing in the right direction.”]

A lot of the players are starting to trickle back into Austin, and there are some organized workouts at places with weights. Most everybody has access to weights by this point. Access to nutrition shouldn’t really been an issue. There’s plenty of time to eat. Players who come back in abnormally bad shape will be down the depth chart and they know it. But from what I’ve heard I expect the players to be in as good a shape as possible. There is good competition at most positions across the board to keep players motivated. The proliferation of skills trainers has helped too.

I have no idea what this team is going to look like when it finally hits the practice field, but I will say there seems to be a high level of cohesion, focus, and structure.

RECRUITING THOUGHTS

I’m glad I didn’t write the recruiting landscape piece I had on my mind in February. I held off on writing that annual piece because I didn’t have a great feel one way or the other. Da Rona has further obscured my read. Had I written my February thoughts I would have been wrong about LSU. When kids don’t take visits they’re harder to read. Visits create fact patterns and new interview opportunities and they become much easier to read. These kids can’t help but smile when they draw an ace. Absent these visits, teams are able to work in a bit more secrecy.

Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson was supposed to be coming off his Texas A&M official visit this weekend. Instead, he’s an out-of-nowhere LSU commit. LSU just won the national championship and half of that team, including the long snapper, just got drafted. In that regard, it’s not surprising that LSU can leverage guys like Jackson and JoJo Earle. However, the current LSU team looks nothing like the team that just won it all. These kids are betting on Ed Orgeron duplicating success with Bo Pelini and Scott Linehan as coordinators.

Texas and other schools better come up with a counter. Earle and Jackson were two of the biggest priorities on the board for UT. I’ve been working on 2021 rankings and a case can be made he’s the No. 2 player in the state. I texted the IT group last week that this kid dropping in rankings was a farce. He’s a five-star. Did that drop occur because of a drill that went viral? I can’t square it, he’s awesome.

If any school is in good position to weather that miss, it’s Texas, but solely on the strength of Ja’Tavion Sanders being committed (Clayton Smith plays a different position). Jackson to LSU will hurt UT dramatically with Marcus Burris which means Shemar Turner becomes an even bigger piece to the puzzle. Jackson to LSU hurts A&M worse. Not only will they have to play him, they also have to replace him in the class. That means they’ll push even harder for Jordon Thomas. Texas currently leads for the Port Arthur Memorial defensive end.

Texas will hope Jackson made a half-hearted decision and will recruit him through the whistle. Playing LSU in Baton Rouge is a huge opportunity. They should recruit him like he’s uncommitted while also recruiting ends. I’d like to see them set up Austin Booker from Indiana as a potential replacement. He’s similar to Jackson, he’s just not the five-star version.

THE WEEK AHEAD

We got a jolt on Sunday. After the NFL Draft and Greg Brown III news over the weekend, Texas grabbed the top tight end on its 2021 board in Humble Atascocita's Landen King.

The 6-foot-5, 210-pounder might have a three-star rating, but his offer list and film suggests differently. Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, and Washington were among his suitors, and make no mistake, King was a get. He said Coach Herman and Coach Jay Boulware were instrumental in the process, but a high-five goes to a handful of his new classmates, namely Jalen Milroe and Derrick Harris Jr.

Both made sure King was a wanted and needed man. King was originally going to announce today, but after news of his impending commitment leaked yesterday, he told me "everybody already knows, so who cares." I laughed audibly. Texas has two more targets set to announce on Friday; South Oak Cliff OLB Jaydon Williams and Dallas Skyline safety Isaiah Nwokobia. Both are viewed as high-upside level talents in this cycle, especially Williams.

In Chris Ash's new defensive front, Williams is the ideal Will backer. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound three-star (.84 composite) likes Mississippi State, Arizona State, and Ole Miss, but the Horns might hold all the cards here. It just makes too much sense.

Nwokobia brings the length, athleticism, and mindset for what Ash desires in the back end. The two-sport athlete also runs track (100 meters, 4x100 relay). The 6-foot-0, 190-pound three-star (.86 composite) likes Cal, Minnesota, and SMU, along with the Longhorns. I don't know how hard UT is pushing, so this one is a little harder to predict. With Texas looking better with Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba (247 four-star) and Kennedale four-star safety JD Coffey (four-star, .92 composite), I could see SMU sneaking in here and grabbing him. I don't think Texas will mind.

Speaking of Coffey, of the @Ktown777 Coffeys, he has not only re-emerged as a target for the UT staff but his recruiting process could be close to the end. Coffey has always been fond of Texas, even when the staff went back and forth on him being a take. When LSU, Oregon, Michigan, and Washington offer, call it confirmation for the staff. Coffey has been pro-Texas for about as long as I've known him, so this is moving in a positive direction today.

Let's not forget Milroe either. He wants weapons for his future offense and I can see him reaching out to UT targets Hal Presley (Mansfield Summit) and Ketron Jackson (Royse City) very soon. Texas loves Presley and likes what Jackson could become. That didn't stop the staff from offering some out-of-state wide receivers recently, but I can see the staff honing in on these two, not to mention its priority pursuit of Woodlands speedster Teddy Knox.

Michael Jackson III, Desert Pines (Las Vegas, NV) three-star picked up Texas last week. There's a sense the 6-foot, 185-pound senior-to-be will visit Austin when campus trips are a thing again, but USC has the early advantage here.

• Like 3

The scoop checks all of the boxes:

1) Team structure and accountability are as high as ever

2) His rating may be a 3 star but his film suggests otherwise

I'm starting to see a merging with the writing style of Chin Pubes. That is not a good sign. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I'm starting to see a merging with the writing style of Chin Pubes. That is not a good sign. 

Seriously. King is good though, and has all the commitable offers you'd want to see in your TE1 take.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Lulz at Herman getting worked by Ogre. Recruits can't understand a fucking thing Ogre says and they still commit to him anyway.

Herman is Mensa which makes him keenly aware of where his dick is that he keeps stepping on.

I mean, he just went undefeated, won the the NC, and had 14 guys drafted. He’s out-recruiting just about everybody in the country right now. It’s fine to be pissed about Herman’s screw ups and recruiting shortcomings but thinking it’s ridiculous that the Ogre is wiping the floor with Herman is kind of strange.

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

IT definitely likes to pump sunshine at times, but I doubt you’ve watched King’s film, otherwise you wouldn’t be criticizing them for this take. 

Rating services are notoriously bad at projecting OL and TEs, so it’s not pure aggy sunshine pumping to say he’s way better than his rank suggests. He’s got great receiving skills and the frame to grow into a force at TE, which is pretty much exactly what you want. Ratings services like the guys who are already TE size in HS and they don’t tend to progress well at the next level. It’s usually more informative to look at offer lists for those positions and his offer list screams underrated prospect. He’s reeled in offers from most of the top recruiting teams in the country, including Bama, UGA, and Oregon. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Foster isn’t happening and the staff should honestly stop wasting their time.  The Brocks are not coming to Texas.  They were all Clemson and then all Bama.  They have gone out of their way to say that they want other schools to recruit them.   Also, daddy Brock can go fuck himself as well.  As much I hate Herman, the dad seems like a arrogant prick as well.  I’m petty as fuck and I would pull Luke’s scholarship out of spite.  He can go walkon at Bama and get a third rate degree from there.  Fuck them.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

i mean, he comes across as a likable guy...and he puts dudes in the League and has for years. 

meanwhile, we have a guy who doesn't win on the field, is unlikable (to be generous) and who isn't really getting dudes drafted. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, he comes across as a likable guy...and he puts dudes in the League and has for years. 

meanwhile, we have a guy who doesn't win on the field, is unlikable (to be generous) and who isn't really getting dudes drafted. 

The scouts of the NFL are absolutely helping horsefuck us along this train of shit, no doubt. And while you know my feelings about Herman correspond more or less to what you've expressed here, those were Charlie Strong kids. Granted, Jones and Duv were also 5 star and borderline 5 star players. That's not a good look. 

Basically, Herman is going to have to put up or shut up this next draft. Worse than not developing those guys higher is going to be if 5 stars like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and other high level talents fizzle out in the draft. That will be a death knell to recruiting kids, IMO. We need a couple first rounders this year to turn that message on its ass. Cosmi has a shot. Sterns needs a great year and to remain injury free. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The scouts of the NFL are absolutely helping horsefuck us along this train of shit, no doubt. And while you know my feelings about Herman correspond more or less to what you've expressed here, those were Charlie Strong kids. Granted, Jones and Duv were also 5 star and borderline 5 star players. That's not a good look. 

Basically, Herman is going to have to put up or shut up this next draft. Worse than not developing those guys higher is going to be if 5 stars like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and other high level talents fizzle out in the draft. That will be a death knell to recruiting kids, IMO. We need a couple first rounders this year to turn that message on its ass. Cosmi has a shot. Sterns needs a great year and to remain injury free. 

I am also hoping Ossai to have a monster year.  That kid has 1 round potential written all over him.

Just now, westexhorn said:

I am also hoping Ossai to have a monster year.  That kid has 1 round potential written all over him.

Yeah. We are all expecting that. Additionally, we'll see where draft people project him if he does. If we hear "He's going to have to test well" even if he puts up 16 sacks, and looks dominant, well, you know that's the Big 12 holding his projection down. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Valai turning the tide in Dallas would be fun

What a kick in the nuts for either us, aggy or both, if those 3 guys come off the board together. Of course, if Coffey is leaning towards Texas again, hopefully that means we are surging here, and might get the entire secondary committed soon.

So I guess an errbody secondary would be Bowman(nickel), Ibraheem(field), Harmon(boundary), Coffey, and Mukuba.

Edited by HtownHorn