Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

As part of the 4EVER TEXAS program, LEVERAGE will serve as an innovative resource to help prepare student-athletes for lifelong success. The LEVERAGE program will provide specific curriculum around areas of financial literacy such as, wealth management, assessing financial risks, taxes, and making business decisions.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The University of Texas is uniquely located in one of the nation’s top-ranked cities to live and work. A hotbed for technology and startups, student-athletes at UT have limitless access to business opportunities, just by being part of the Austin, Texas community.

With a strong emphasis on social media, Texas Athletics has cultivated one of the most powerful presences in college athletics. The Longhorns lead all of collegiate athletics in Twitter interactions and have one of the top Facebook followings with an audience of over 1.5 million. Texas has experienced extreme growth on Instagram since 2018, with more than 160,000 new followers for a 167% increase. The Texas Football Instagram has grown by nearly 200,000 followers during that same span, a 155% increase

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

“The athletes we’re recruiting have had their hands on these social platforms almost their whole lives,” Texas Women’s Swimming & Diving head coach Carol Capitani said. “LEVERAGE provides an opportunity for them to learn and advance their personal brands in a way that’s true to them, while building off the social presence they’ve already cultivated. There is no athletic department better positioned to handle NIL needs than Texas, and I’m grateful for all the first-class resources that our student-athletes have available to them.”

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I have no point of reference for how good that is. 

OU track and field all time record in shot 

65-8.25 (20.02) and that was thrown in 1987. They are a NOTHING program for throwers. 

Foster's mother is throwing away his chance at the Olympics because she's a redass that hates UT. There is no world in which he should even be allowed to consider OU. He's a FARRRRRRR better track athlete than football player right now and the combination of the two makes Texas so far in front of everyone that it cannot be measured. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

OU track and field all time record in shot 

65-8.25 (20.02) and that was throw in 1987. 

Foster's mother is throwing away his chance at the Olympics because she's a redass that hates UT. There is no world in which he should even be allowed to consider OU. He's a FARRRRRRR better track athlete than football player right now and the combination of the two makes Texas so far in front of everyone that it cannot be measured. 

Well putting the shot doesn’t pay as well as nfl guard, I assume. So a football trade school makes sense. 

On mobile, can’t post the scoop  it’s a good one, though  

It sounds like Byron Murphy is interested, would help with Shemar but hurt with Regis. Gerry is being cryptic in the comments. aggy leads, but it sounds like someone close (probably mom) prefers Texas. 

The rest is kool-aid, and it’s delicious.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It sounds like Byron Murphy is interested, would help with Shemar but hurt with Regis. Gerry is being cryptic in the comments. aggy leads, but it sounds like someone close (probably mom) prefers Texas. 

This dude?

image.thumb.png.719ea3b39638a7c403af6dcfe8e44660.png

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This week we’ll take a good look at defensive line recruiting for the 2021 class. From talking to a source close to Shemar Turner Sunday afternoon, it looks like the best defensive line prospect in the state has decided on a visit destination for this upcoming weekend. A visit this week was always going to be in the SEC, but SEC West or SEC East was the question. "Shemar decided to visit the (Georgia) Bulldogs this week," said the source. "The visit is TBD on family availability."

The same source said late last week that Turner decided not to visit Texas A&M over the weekend, and that Turner was looking at either Alabama, LSU, or Georgia for a visit this week with DeSoto being away from the field before practice officially begins September 8th. Turner and family were in Austin two weekends ago, and spent time with Texas players. While Tom Herman (connection to Turner's family made during the Dontre Wilson recruitment at Ohio State), Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen continue to make up ground, the Longhorns have not made up enough ground to be in position to be a leader in this recruitment. The leader, according to the source, is from inside the state lines heading into this week.

"Yes sir, A&M is."

With the high school season in Texas now underway, and the big schools beginning practice next week, the Longhorns staff will be evaluating prospects on the offensive line and defensive line from day one. Among those on the defensive line who will get serious looks from the Texas staff are Keith Cooper (Dickinson High) and Garfield Lawrence (Tyler Legacy). Cooper is a prospect we mentioned in recent weeks after seeing him in person. Cooper is 6-foot-4 and change, up to 237 pounds and sports an 84-inch wingspan. The member of the Gators' regional champion basketball team is one of those "high ceiling" prospects the state produces annually who still happen to fly under the radar. He is coveted by Arizona State, Kansas State, Duke, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and others. Texas is not the only school that is going to take a long look at Cooper, the senior edge prospect told IT last night that Penn State has reached out, and is evaluating him as well.

Lawrence is one of the more intriguing 2021 prospects in the Lone Star State. While he wasn't a starter as a junior playing behind talented senior FBS recruit Jamal Ligon, Lawrence has been offered by more than a dozen programs, including Colorado, Kansas State, and Kansas. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end with a hand-shake to remember is a prospect that has been quietly staying in contact with Oscar Giles. If the early season Hudl is impressive, this will become a name to remember.

Texas continues to have an offer on the table for Mansfield Legacy defensive end and Notre Dame "soft commit" David Abiara. Abiara isn't a prospect that keeps in constant communication with colleges like many others, and that could allow for Cooper or Lawrence to ascend in the staff's eyes in the coming weeks. At defensive tackle, there is a talented prospect committed to another school that would like an offer from Texas, but the Longhorns are currently not ready to put an offer on the table. The reason being, Texas feels good about where it stands in the recruitment of La Porte’s Albert Regis. The Longhorns are considered the favorite over Texas A&M, Houston, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Ole Miss. We ranked him #13 in the state so he’s not the type of recruit you want to peel off of in order to pursue someone else.

Another defensive tackle the Longhorns continue to keep tabs on is Ikechukwu Iwunnah. The 6-foot-4, 275-pounder has more than a handful of Power 5 offers with that list expected to grow when games begin this season. The Longhorns like Iwunnah over the ball, while Regis is a 3-tech prospect.

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's a stud, he & Regis at DT would allow Turner to start at SDE?

Turner's uncle is heavily involved in this recruitment. He's friends/acquaintances with Von Miller and Jerrod-Edie. Claude Mathis is back at DeSoto.

Given that information and history, I would be pursuing Albert Regis and Ike Iwunnah as hard as possible. I would continue to pursue Shemar to the very end, but I would not miss either of those guys for the chance at Turner. I would certainly not give up Regis or Iwunnah for Murphy in some random combo deal. The chance of being left holding an empty bag are far too great and the rare athletic upside of both Regis and Iwunnah is undeniable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Oof. From Jeremy Clark on TCU247 -- with everyone feeling like he's headed to Baylor ::

With Baylor, their recruiting coordinator is really pushing for him. I was told Wickline really hasn't been that involved with Jackson so far. Plus, you have Hal Presley that is a teammate and is probably pushing for Jacoby too.

Wickline's involvement will only hurt the recruiting process. Best to let an RC do all the work. 

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Oof. From Jeremy Clark on TCU247 -- with everyone feeling like he's headed to Baylor ::

Wickline's involvement will only hurt the recruiting process. Best to let an RC do all the work. 

"Hey man, love talking to you, you're pretty much family, but shouldn't I meet my position coach before I sign?"

"...I don't see how that could be relevant."

Edited by texifornia

To add to the "Who will be the OT takes for 2021?" discussion, I put together this list of guys either from Texas or committed to a close-ish school, with Hayden Conner thrown in for comparison. (I included Josh Sales because Mark Hagen, and Tate Williams (who is listed as an OG) to ask if he's really as good as his ranking would indicate.) Looking at OTs currently committed to other Big 12 schools for flip candidates, it certainly seems to be the case that Texas is not alone in struggling to find quality options.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Suck my glizzy

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this is why CBs are stupid. these asswipes change change the CB as many times as they want and right up to the announcement. 

Mirrors a 17-18 year old hs student. These kids change their minds a handful of times over the years. But I agree, overall a dumb concept.