Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Maybe Wiley will grow into Gronk and Liebrock will grow into Travis Kelce.  Andrew Beck grew into an NFL tight end.  So did Geoff Swaim.   

Edited by lemonandaturd

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Maybe Wiley will grow into Gronk and Liebrock will grow into Travis Kelce.  Andrew Beck grew into an NFL tight end.  So did Geoff Swaim.   

I thought we reached for Swaim.  Moral of the story:  I'm dumb.  Harsin smart

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I thought we reached for Swaim.  Moral of the story:  I'm dumb.  Harsin smart

I don't think it's possible for a seventh round pick to be a reach.

Mike at Night: Recruiting notes heading into the weekend

—Landen King's decommitment came as a bit of a surprise today. A source I spoke with in Austin actually said they had some indication from King late last night. The three-star Atascocita tight end is telling folks that he feels he just made the decision too quickly, but those near him feel he's seeing the allure of the SEC. Auburn is one to watch with King's close friend Dematrius Davis recently committing, and Georgia is in the picture as well. I've also heard that King is still considering Texas. The Auburn news would make for another chapter in an ongoing back and forth with Chad Morris. It's no secret in the coaching community that Morris doesn't care for Tom Herman, and his Arkansas staff threw some pretty negative recruiting tactics at past targets. I'm not saying that happened here, but it's something I found interesting. Obviously, decommitments aren't great, but from the digging I did today, it's hard to find fault with anyone on the Texas staff for this one.

—I had the opportunity to see four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem train today. I continue to be impressed by his fluidity and hips and I think his ceiling at the position is as strong as anyone out there. I also continue to feel very good about where Texas stands in this recruitment. Texas hasn't done a better job recruiting a prospect in this cycle than Ibraheem, and I feel they are moving into the lead. If Texas lands JD Coffey, it only strengthens their position for Ibraheem.

—I'm hearing that momentum is moving the other way with Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon. I feel Texas would have a better shot if this race carries into the fall, but right now it sounds like there is heavy momentum towards Texas A&M. If Texas misses on Harmon, they would likely shift focus to west coast prospects Jamier Johnson and Jaylin Smith. Omarion Cooper and Isaiah Johnson are also cornerback prospects to watch.

—I was also able to see Garland safety Chace Biddle.today, and it sounds like Texas is making a big impression on the four-star 2022 prospect. Jay Valai was the first to offer Biddle, and he's been all over him since that time. On the defensive side of the ball, it sounds like Texas is really making progress with 2022 prospects like Biddle. Another prospect I've heard strong things about is Brenen Thompson. The speedster from Spearman (Texas) holds offers from all over the country, but I'm told no coach is outworking Valai in this one.

6 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I don't think it's possible for a seventh round pick to be a reach.

he was saying he thought we reached by signing him from juco. 

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty much all this. Im not concerned about the position. I’m concerned about optics but mostly that we’re doing stupid shit behind the scenes. The auburn and davis shit actually makes me feel somewhat better. 

Was apparently as much of a shock to staff, who apparently was in frequent contact with King even after his commitment. Allegedly, he informed staff the day before he was considering decommitting and was never heard from the day of despite staff reaching out before the announcement.

1 hour ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Was apparently as much of a shock to staff, who apparently was in frequent contact with King even after his commitment. Allegedly, he informed staff the day before he was considering decommitting and was never heard from the day of despite staff reaching out before the announcement.

That doesn't sound good at all. Welp, he gone.

Auburn clearly sold King on being a wide receiver in the form of a Sal Canella, and that just being SEC means nfl. They don’t really use TEs in the receiving game, and Texas has a better history of sending TEs to the NFL.  Also I’m sure benefit$. Eh, whatever.

So in '20 - assuming the season is played - 

- should Kerstetter be moved to center?

- hope Ghirmai has learned to snapped the ball and is good enough?

- Majors ... ?

- should we be looking for a transfer for center?

(Was trying to find info on Kerstetter and saw an article by Wescott where he too talks about all of this ... didn't want to trigger anyone by posting his stuff.)

Pass blocking ranking by PFF

In an older tweet on Big 12 OL overall (not just pass), Kerstetter is 3rd, but his grade, FWIW, is significantly lower .... couldn't find a run-blocking ranking.

In PFF's ranking of Top 30 overall linemen returning to college football, Kerstetter is not ranked.  Cosmi is number 5.

5. T SAMUEL COSMI, TEXAS

Cosmi, a redshirt sophomore, opted to return to Texas instead of declaring for the NFL draft to try and improve his stock. If he finds a way to improve just marginally in 2020, Cosmi will likely be on his way to the first-round next year. He was already a great player these past two years — in 2018 his WAA total was the second best among left tackles, and in 2019 he allowed just one combined sack and hit on his 595 pass-block snaps.

(Recruiting related because ... Majors/transfer questions.)

247 / Gabe Brooks / New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas

Spoiler

New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas
ByGABE BROOKS

Texas has secured another 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in the recruitment of 2021 four-star safety JD Coffey from Kennedale (Texas) High School in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

I put in a Saturday afternoon prediction in favor of Texas to land the 6-foot 1/2, 180-pound Coffey. The intel in the last couple of days favors the Longhorns to land the in-state safety, who is also seriously considering schools such as Washington and Oregon. Texas, Washington, and Oregon joined LSU, Baylor, and Michigan in Coffey's top six, which he named in early April.

Washington seemed like the team to beat at that time, with Oregon a close second. Texas and LSU were next in line, but the Longhorns have made the most progress in the past several weeks, enough for me to go ahead and put in a fairly confident Texas forecast.

My confidence score of 7 on the 247Sports Crystal Ball joins a 9 forecast from Horns247.com insider Mike Roach, as well as a 6 forecast from Steve Wiltfong, 247Sports director of football recruiting, and a 6 forecast from Horns247.com contributor Nick Harris.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Coffey as a four-star recruit ranked in the top 175 nationally in the 2021 class. He is ranked seventh among the country's 2021 safety prospects and No. 29 overall in the state of Texas for his class.

Coffey, who owns more than 30 offers, earned Texas District 6-4A Division I Defensive MVP honors as a junior, when he recorded 71 tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks, and two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. He enters his senior season with 14 career INT's.

Perroni, on LJ Johnson.

Spoiler

Just spoke with LJ Johnson

Brian Perroni

I went out to a couple different workouts today and the one I just left, LJ Johnson was at.

I had a chance to talk with him at length. He has been talking to A&M a whole bunch, both Tommie Robinson and Fisher. Eli Stowers and the other commits are on him a whole bunch as well.

Johnson recently did a virtual visit with A&M. And I still like my crystal ball prediction of A&M. So he could decide to shut things down sooner, at this point he wants to take a couple visits still so it might last into the season.

He also plays Madden with Amari Daniels. And the two of them have talked about playing together at A&M

He has done other virtual visit recently with Texas, LSU and Georgia and has one this coming week with Oklahoma. Other than Georgia, those other three are A&M‘s main competition right now. Texas has done a good job and he also talks to Bijan Robinson a about the offense there. They are probably the ones to watch as the biggest competition at this point but I still think it will be A&M

That’s interesting. I would have figured we we were likely playing for 3/4th for LJ.  If this drags on into the season and we win, then we should be in a great position.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That’s one word for it. “Trust our evaluations more” indeed. Fuck. Hard to give the benefit of the doubt considering lack of camps and contact at this point. I’ll let someone else dissect the kids hudl and report back. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s one word for it. “Trust our evaluations more” indeed. Fuck. Hard to give the benefit of the doubt considering lack of camps and contact at this point. I’ll let someone else dissect the kids hudl and report back. 

Strong as an Ox.  Faster than a Cheetah.  Arms longer than Manute Bol.  Feet quicker than Usain Bolt.

Watch. The. Tape.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He has a good frame and could add another 30 lbs. He has an extremely fast first step. His get off is elite. He doesn’t possess what looks like high end speed but he’s very quick to the spot and squares up well. His lateral movement is solid and he isn’t stiff in his hips. He is very fluid with his movement and uses his hands well. He plays against 6-A competition. This is a total coach evaluation. He has a solid list of offers with the biggest being VaTech, Missouri and now Texas. He reminds me of Sam Acho. 

27 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

He has a good frame and could add another 30 lbs. He has an extremely fast first step. His get off is elite. He doesn’t possess what looks like high end speed but he’s very quick to the spot and squares up well. His lateral movement is solid and he isn’t stiff in his hips. He is very fluid with his movement and uses his hands well. He plays against 6-A competition. This is a total coach evaluation. He has a solid list of offers with the biggest being VaTech, Missouri and now Texas. He reminds me of Sam Acho. 

Listen, Mr. Texas HarvDog. Sunshine don't go around here. Savvy?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Ehh I'm a little biased because I'm from McKinney, but I think he and JJ Henry from McKinney North are underrated. They didn't do too many camps last year and I bet if the camp circuit would've taken place this year they probably get more offers and get ranked a little higher. Jon is pretty good, as mentioned he has good get off and good not great strength/speed. He tends to play a little high, though.

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ehh I'm a little biased because I'm from McKinney, but I think he and JJ Henry from McKinney North are underrated. They didn't do too many camps last year and I bet if the camp circuit would've taken place this year they probably get more offers and get ranked a little higher. Jon is pretty good, as mentioned he has good get off and good not great strength/speed. He tends to play a little high, though.

Everyone plays high these days because it’s all based on getting the the passer and using your hands. No one these days is saying to their dline run straight into their guy and be the lowest man. 

35 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Everyone plays high these days because it’s all based on getting the the passer and using your hands. No one these days is saying to their dline run straight into their guy and be the lowest man. 

sure thing panama red

Coaches from OU and Alabama just started following Jonathan Jones today. 

I don't think this was a "trust the evaluation" offer like the other takes. Seems like there must be new film or something that has schools interested. 

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think this was a "trust the evaluation" offer like the other takes. Seems like there must be new film or something that has schools interested. 

Either that or they DO trust our coaches evaluation.  

3 hours ago, utfan87 said:

1916-D9-BB-8264-4-F63-A538-1-A6475-CD4-D

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

Lol you’re proving my point exactly

He ran straight into the tackle, got lower than him, and ran him over on the way to the QB. Exactly what you said DL don't do anymore. How is that proving your point?

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16492009

20 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I believe he has a teammate who plays RB

A DT who does the triple jump? Intriguing combo

Edited by TommyGufano

51 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

(Edit: Thiefery beat me to it.) This dude can play. Plus, imagine the lulz when announcers try to say his name

Edited by LYNH