Jump to content
Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

OU fanboy Drumm also mentioned he’s leaning texas 

Empty Drumm after he reported the Wheaton update:

Dwight Crying GIFs | Tenor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Goodman said:

You’re really going to give him credit for Cain huh?

Should he even get credit for Wheaton if we do get him, considering 3 other coaches, including the head coach, have had to get in on this recruitment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Should he even get credit for Wheaton if we do get him, considering 3 other coaches, including the head coach, have had to get in on this recruitment?

The head coach should be in on pretty much every 5 star recruitment. It’s not like there are that many of them.

Drayton’s problem is that he doesn’t really recruit outside of his position, which is something RB coaches usually do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

OU fanboy Drumm also mentioned he’s leaning texas 

Did he? I'm not seeing this, but I might have missed it, and 247's search features suck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anal Hickey

"Had a source tell me over the weekend that four-star safety Andrew Mukuba of Austin (Texas) LBJ is telling both Clemson and LSU favorable things at the moment. 

It's unclear if Texas is receiving such favorable feedback as well. 

But as I've reported for a while, it certainly continues to sound like Clemson and LSU are potentially each other's biggest competition."

I think it's actually good news that the Clemson mod doesn't think that he's all Clemson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fud said:

Did he? I'm not seeing this, but I might have missed it, and 247's search features suck 

From Friday morning.  I saw the screenshots on twitter but I don't think Tex ever got around to posting them here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Friday morning.  I saw the screenshots on twitter but I don't think Tex ever got around to posting them here. 

 

Right, random posters are worried about Wheaton based on roach’s posts, Drumm thinks they’re still in a good position. There’s an insider there who claims that Wheaton is an OU lean, and Drumm cryptically backed him up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right, random posters are worried about Wheaton based on roach’s posts, Drumm thinks they’re still in a good position. There’s an insider there who claims that Wheaton is an OU lean, and Drumm cryptically backed him up

This is the portion of Drumm's rambling those screenshots are in response to (this was before Roach said that he thought Texas/Wheaton was 'looking good' or whatever mush-mouth phrase Roach used):

Quote

One, I’m told Wheaton is a likely candidate to the Sooners Summit event in August.

And two, I know the Sooners still feel confident in their position with Wheaton, but I will readily admit I’m always hesitant on that because I feel like Texas is right there as well, and Camar doesn’t really tip his hand, so it’s usually guess work with him.

Yes, I have heard the rumors on Camar having SOME lean to Texas off of a Zoom call last week, but also know OU did too and they seem confident, as well.

The reality is that no one really has much of a clue where Camar is headed — not even those closest to him. He is that quiet about things when it comes to a decision.

Still, getting him up for the Sooner Summit would be a huge win for OU and could be the thing that puts over the top. It looks like there is a good chance of Camar Wheaton attending, but who knows with him!? Especially when it comes to where he will end up going. A surprise awaits us one day, in my opinion.

Stay tuned to OUInsider for the latest on this.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The Waddle approach. That's a bold strategy.

it's about time for us to hear about him entering the portal, right?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Is Cooks supposed to announce something today?

Think TFB said top 5 with a commitment coming next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are forgetting that if Roach believes something is looking good, he is probably mistaking the prospect for a double double at Whataburger, and he would only be comfortable of predicting a prospect to choose Texas if the prospect was currently enrolled in classes and going through practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't think Aucoin had a single highlight of him catching a pass in his HS hudl.

to be fair, in part that was because Irv Smith was on his team - right?

(well, plus he had stonehands)

Edited by NoName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Should he even get credit for Wheaton if we do get him, considering 3 other coaches, including the head coach, have had to get in on this recruitment?

I don’t care if Satya gets the credit.  If we are signing a 5* running back, not named Evans, it’s a good thing and that’s all that matters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Let's fucking go BOMC!! 

solid offer list.. this is one of my favorite things in recruiting cycles.. seeing unknown players miraculously turn into 4 stars because of TEXAS... all to the detriment of aggys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

solid offer list.. this is one of my favorite things in recruiting cycles.. seeing unknown players miraculously turn into 4 stars because of TEXAS... all to the detriment of aggys

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

 

Maybe they should rename their Texas recruiting site "Whornhub", and they'll get the full attention of their recruiting - ahem -  "staff" ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

... or nobody can find a diamond in the rough like Tom!! (Other than Jimbo of course, per Karen)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spiegleman on Turner

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

 

  Hide contents

 

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

 

 

Carl's still way out on that limb with this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

 

 

So one source is the reason for all the Bama' picks on Rivals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, ESPN not having a recruit page for a guy with Iowa/Wisconsin/Auburn/UCLA offers is a pretty sad indictment of how understaffed their recruiting section is.

Not a good look that a kid with 20 P5 offers and who ESPN ultimately rate as top 14 at his position didn't even have a profile page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN has like three guys working nationally. I like Gerry's work, but it's not a terribly useful recruiting service 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really shouldn't complain about ESPN being slow to add a page for Helm - its rude to the aggy TE who has been committed for over two months and still doesn't exist on ESPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

 

  Hide contents

 

@samspiegs

Shemar Turner knows the five teams jockeying for position in his recruitment.

Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia and LSU are all battling it out for the Rivals250 defensive end out of DeSoto (Texas) High School, who is currently eyeing a commitment sometime in the fall or even right after his senior season, which is now set to begin in September.

Turner squeezed in visits to Texas and Alabama right before the CoVid-19 pandemic led to an ongoing Dead Period and he is holding out hope to make official visits to Georgia and LSU as well as visits back to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama.

He shared the latest in his recruitment with Rivals.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

On decision timeline: "Sometime after the season or even during the season."

On who's in contact the most right now: "I'm not gonna lie ... I've been talking to them all a lot lately. I've talked with Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M ... all five of them (including Alabama and Texas), but the most I probably talk to is Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M."

On Georgia: "They're really talking about when official visits open back up and whenever I can come visit the school. When visits open back up, they want me down there because I haven't been down there yet. I want to see the new indoor (facility) they're building. I want to see that and the indoor they have now. I want to see that, too, and the stadium at night."

On LSU: "They have been talking to me about where I'm gonna be playing and stuff like that. They talk about what I'll be playing and that's a lot of the conversation right now."

On Alabama: "I've been talking to Coach (Nick) Saban a little bit.The conversation has been about school and about getting my mom up there because she still hasn't been up there yet. Like LSU, they're talking to me about what position they'll have me at and where they want to play me most of the time. I know he (Saban) is really nonchalant, just not really talkative from what I've seen, so it's pretty cool (to have him involved)."

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

On Texas: "It's the same thing. I've been talking with the cornerbacks coach (and area recruiter) (Jay Valai). I like him and he's got a lot of energy. It's a pretty good relationship. Him and I talk almost every week."

RIVALS REACTION

Texas was long perceived as the leader in the clubhouse for Turner, but right now it feels as if the quartet of SEC schools has put itself in a better position with the sought-after four-star defensive end in recent months.

One source suggested the SEC teams are convincing Turner that he'd be in a better position to get drafted by playing in that conference. Saban has taken an amplified role in courting Turner and a visit with his mother go a long way. He still has yet to visit Athens or Baton Rouge, which is why official visits loom large. Texas A&M is not a team to sleep on here either, as Turner has visited College Station almost as often as he's been to Texas.

 

 

Shemar doesn’t list Texas as one of the schools that talks to him the most and the only coach he mentions by name is Valai.

Giles doin work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Shemar doesn’t list Texas as one of the schools that talks to him the most and the only coach he mentions by name is Valai.

Giles doin work! 

Carrington was pulled from emergency DL recruiting support to emergency OL recruiting support, with secondary support duties for WR recruiting. He can only do so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With or without Turner, DL recruiting is still doing better than almost every other position group. DB is the only other group with an argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

With or without Turner, DL recruiting is still doing better than almost every other position group. DB is the only other group with an argument.

This is definitely true and our DL looks to be in good shape for the foreseeable future, but if we're going to utilize a 4 man front without much blitzing, we need to be landing blue chippers like Turner every year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

my pal in FTW is concerned about Bowman.. says he took off his Texas pics on IG..

I may have to drive up to FTW so I can confirm for myself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

DL recruiting is still doing better than almost every other position group. DB is the only other group with an argument.

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

my pal in FTW is concerned about Bowman.. says he took off his Texas pics on IG..

Impeccable timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

image.thumb.png.421115bf242a69223efcc5a2d9cda2e4.png

I don't really go on IG much so I don't know if he had more UT pics or not

Yeah, he never had much Texas stuff on his Twitter, but has been pretty locked in, so it's hard to know what to think.

On Twitter he's followed Malzahn and Riley and a couple other OU/Auburn people since they've offered, but his most recent follows are Dasan McCullough and Gunnar Helm.

Edited by texifornia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago when some posters on 247/OBs started panicking about Bowman not having Texas stuff on social media?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago when some posters on 247/OBs started panicking about Bowman not having Texas stuff on social media?

My recollection is more like ~6 months ago. But yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

image.thumb.png.421115bf242a69223efcc5a2d9cda2e4.png

I don't really go on IG much so I don't know if he had more UT pics or not

Still has Texas football tagged in his bio FWIW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Still has Texas football tagged in his bio FWIW

ugh thanks for reminding him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

image.thumb.png.421115bf242a69223efcc5a2d9cda2e4.png

I don't really go on IG much so I don't know if he had more UT pics or not

I'm more concerned about your cell coverage and battery tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BruceVonClaude said:

I'm more concerned about your cell coverage and battery tbh.

lol it's not my phone.. it was from my pal in FTW.  I just relayed the news that it's just him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fud said:

Spiegleman on Turner

  Hide contents

 

@samspiegs

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

 

 

 

Isn't there a dead period or can coaches still call players? With this in mind, talking weekly would really rely on the recruit calling the coaches.  Also, does Terry Price talking to his uncle and mom mean what will Texas be willing to offer them?  Glad Auburn isn't involved.  Bama-Georgia-LSU-aggy is already one hell of an auction.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the rules on current players calling recruits?  What if a current player lives in the same household as a coach?

asking for the price family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

On Texas A&M: "I've talked to Coach (Terry) Price a lot. We talk most of the time and he's telling me where I'm gonna be playing at, how they would use me and schemes ... stuff like that. Other than the conversations with me, he's having a lot of conversations with my uncle and my mom, things like that ..."

 

[Fred Akers]There's always an uncle.[/Fred Akers]

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...