Jump to content
Buzzrock

Beef ribs

Recommended Posts

Just picked up a three bone rack of beef short ribs. I have a sous vide and a big green egg. Tell me what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

 

Just picked up a three bone rack of beef short ribs. I have a sous vide and a big green egg. Tell me what to do.

 

Beef ribs are surprisingly simple.  Small brisket on a stick.  They cook fast and taste great.  The Aaron Franklin video on beef ribs is a great start.  I believe he coated in hot sauce, then used his basic salt/pepper rub.  Cook on average 6-8 hours.  I still do a brisket here and there, but it's just so much food.  For the family, I do plate ribs and boneless beef ribs all the time.  

 

*edit, sorry, saw they were short ribs (not plate).  These cook fast and can dry out.  Spritz them every hour.  I'd pull after a few hours, place in a foil pan with red wine, cover, and put back on the smoker until they hit around 200.  Then pull, back on the smoker for about 15 minutes.  Strain the foil pan, reduce, serve over mashed potatoes.  With those little bastards, texture more important than time.  

Edited by BabaYaga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Small brisket on a stick.

Cannot be emphasized enough.  Blows my mind how many suckers there are every day at BBQ places who pay extra for or whine when they run out, of what is simply, just another form of brisket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've followed the Franklin video and they have turned out great.  Next time you're at the grocery store, go to the butcher and ask for plate ribs (I think they're also called chuck ribs).  They usually keep them in the back.  A niced size four bone rack  usually runs me around $25.  Definitely not cheap, but good eating.

This is the last rack I did on the WSM.

Good tip I remember from champ from TOS was that sometimes the beef ribs don't probe like wvb until around 214 F.

2v2il1i.jpg

12551c0.jpg

 

Edited by dcbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Beef ribs are surprisingly simple.  Small brisket on a stick.  They cook fast and taste great.  The Aaron Franklin video on beef ribs is a great start.  I believe he coated in hot sauce, then used his basic salt/pepper rub.  Cook on average 6-8 hours.  I still do a brisket here and there, but it's just so much food.  For the family, I do plate ribs and boneless beef ribs all the time.  

 

*edit, sorry, saw they were short ribs (not plate).  These cook fast and can dry out.  Spritz them every hour.  I'd pull after a few hours, place in a foil pan with red wine, cover, and put back on the smoker until they hit around 200.  Then pull, back on the smoker for about 15 minutes.  Strain the foil pan, reduce, serve over mashed potatoes.  With those little bastards, texture more important than time.  

I cook 3 and 4 bone ribs the same.  And red wine in a pan never comes close to my smoker. Am I doing it wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plate ribs are short ribs.  Chuck ribs are also short ribs.  Just to clarify.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up half a cow a few weeks ago. Processor thought I was nuts when they called beforehand and asked for cuts. I said I wanted some nice, thick plate ribs out of it. 

“You don’t want that in the hamburger pile?”

Um... fuck no. So I had to ‘splain’ to her the 4 ribs and how I wanted them cut. She also thought I was crazy for wanting the whole brisket. Stupid Missouri people. 

 

Turned out to be great looking cuts though. So whoever cut it up knew what the deal was. I’ll have to trim the brisket just a tick, but they did a nice job on keeping the fat cap to about 1/4”.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about the Franklin video.

Should I wrap halfway through nah? Aaron does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never wrap beef ribs.  

I always wrap pork ribs, and I'm about half and half on brisket depending on timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp bounced around so they could have rendered a little better, and the bark got a touch tough. But damn good for first attempt. Will try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 11:01 PM, Anastasis said:

I cook 3 and 4 bone ribs the same.  And red wine in a pan never comes close to my smoker. Am I doing it wrong?

For the larger plate ribs - I smoke those exactly as I would brisket, other than I never wrap.  For the smaller short ribs, that can so easily dry out, I follow a modified braised short rib recipe in the smoker.  

Smoker.  Pan.  Smoker.  Broiler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuck ribs come from bones 1-5. Plate come from 6-9. They are both from the short plate primal cut. Chuck ribs cook just fine (that's actually the cut that some of the more well-known bbq joints use).

Fun fact: if you are cooking a traditional bbq cut and it comes out dry, it most likely means you didn't cook it long enough. Moisture comes from intramuscular fat is it breaks down. 

Also, the texture and fat content of chuck and plate ribs is significantly different than brisket. And the meat has a much more rich flavor to it. I rarely offer beef ribs simply because they take up a ton of space on the pit. But given the choice between beefers and brisket, most folks will opt for the beefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck ribs come from bones 1-5. Plate come from 6-9. They are both from the short plate primal cut. Chuck ribs cook just fine (that's actually the cut that some of the more well-known bbq joints use).
Fun fact: if you are cooking a traditional bbq cut and it comes out dry, it most likely means you didn't cook it long enough. Moisture comes from intramuscular fat is it breaks down. 
Also, the texture and fat content of chuck and plate ribs is significantly different than brisket. And the meat has a much more rich flavor to it. I rarely offer beef ribs simply because they take up a ton of space on the pit. But given the choice between beefers and brisket, most folks will opt for the beefer.


Beef short ribs are terrific but you’re right, they’re ridiculously rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costco has really good ones. You can also get them at HEB which is where I normally do, but they aren't as nice as the ones Costco usually has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Costco has really good ones. You can also get them at HEB which is where I normally do, but they aren't as nice as the ones Costco usually has.

yep, ive seen them frequently at Costco.  Usually at HEB, you have to ask the guys at teh counter if they have any unmolested short ribs in the cryovac in the back., 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And usually that guy has no clue what you are talking about for the first couple of minutes of the conversation, at least at my HEB.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And usually that guy has no clue what you are talking about for the first couple of minutes of the conversation, at least at my HEB.

There's always the one older guy who the new guy has to ask.  He looks at you from the back of the meat department, nods, disappears for a few minutes, and then brings you your cryovac pack.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I mean, how can any self respecting Texan who WORKS IN THE FN MEAT DEPARTMENT AT HEB not know how short ribs are distributed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah.  I mean, how can any self respecting Texan who WORKS IN THE FN MEAT DEPARTMENT AT HEB not know how short ribs are distributed. 

Millennials, fucking Millennials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Focht Up said:

Any recommendations on where to purchase a rack of plate ribs?

Go to the butcher counter at your grocery store and tell them you want 3--4 rack plate ribs.  They probably have them in the back.  They're generally fairly enthusiastic to break them out in my experience.  The only extra cost is the extra small talk about how you plan to cook them and how they want you to bring them some.  I've never had anyone look at me dumbfounded when I asked.

Edited by dcbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Go to the butcher counter at your grocery store and tell them you want 3--4 rack plate ribs.  They probably have them in the back.  They're generally fairly enthusiastic to break them out in my experience.  The only extra cost is the extra small talk about how you plan to cook them and how they want you to bring them some.  I've never had anyone look at me dumbfounded when I asked.

LOL This is almost exactly how my conversation with the Central Market butcher goes, every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, utee94 said:

There's always the one older guy who the new guy has to ask.  He looks at you from the back of the meat department, nods, disappears for a few minutes, and then brings you your cryovac pack.

 

This one is my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had good luck with Whole Foods as well. Most of the time it’s best to ask for a whole rack of beef short ribs. The whole chuck/plate distinction is what causes a bunch of confusion. Most retail grocery stores have racks of chuck short ribs. Plates are usually wholesale or at Restaurant Depot etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HEB often has them off the plate-- they just don't necessarily know that.

Definitely have more consistent results with Costco and Restaurant Depot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This probably should go in the Unpopular Opinions Thread thread. Beef ribs are overrated. Why pay that extra money when the old fashioned brisket is just as good and cheaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mycox said:

This probably should go in the Unpopular Opinions Thread thread. Beef ribs are overrated. Why pay that extra money when the old fashioned brisket is just as good and cheaper?

I gagree. The beefers can be overwhelming most of the time. Brisket always finds the sweet spot imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think beef ribs and brisket are about as close as filet and ribeye.  All are beef, but...

So I guess my response is, you should eat what makes you happy at a price point that pleases you, but... why not both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I’ve had good luck with Whole Foods as well. Most of the time it’s best to ask for a whole rack of beef short ribs. The whole chuck/plate distinction is what causes a bunch of confusion. Most retail grocery stores have racks of chuck short ribs. Plates are usually wholesale or at Restaurant Depot etc.

Would dropping the IMPS product number (123A I think) help I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Would dropping the IMPS product number (123A I think) help I wonder?

I lol'd hard.

I will give it a shot a report back.  For the lulz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y’all are over thinking this.

1. Go to meat counter
2. Ring bell for service
3. Tell butcher you need a rack of beef ribs, either chuck or plate, that you don’t care which. But that you need the whole rack
4.....
5. Profit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This probably should go in the Unpopular Opinions Thread thread. Beef ribs are overrated. Why pay that extra money when the old fashioned brisket is just as good and cheaper?


A rack of beef ribs is a better choice sometimes if you’re cooking for fewer people.

But yes they are ridiculously rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


A rack of beef ribs is a better choice sometimes if you’re cooking for fewer people.

But yes they are ridiculously rich.


Cook faster and smaller piece of meat to find room for too, so there’s that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they work well when you want to make bbq for lunch and don't want to get started super early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody taken down the pastrami beef rib at Roegels in Houston? It's the Friday special. 

I had the pastrami sandwich last Thursday and it was amazing. Probably the best sandwich I've ever eaten. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have tried it once, and it was way too salty. Could have been an off day, though.

I had the same experience with the pastrami sandwich. Total salt lick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...