Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

3 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

I agree too. Looking at their schedule and W/L, not sure there is a need to throw a weekend guy. This would be a great game for Bocci or similar. Would rather have our normal weekend guys play in a game 4 scenario.

I don't have nearly enough confidence in Bocci to go this route, just look at what happened to us in the Big 12 tourney.  I like pitching Shugart; don't take any chances on losing game 1. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

I have been following Texas Baseball for almost 50 years and one thing I have learned is you better not overlook first round games in a regional.

You will see the other team's ace in almost all circumstances and I do not care what conference they are from they will be formidable.

As my fading memory recalls we played Grambling in a first round game at the Disch one year and their pitcher shut out a much better hitting Texas team that this years squad for about 11 or 12 innings.

I certainly expect TSU to give us their best shot because they can hit and run and don't assume we will be playing aggy if we win. Indiana is legit.

We need to be at our best tonight for sure.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have been following Texas Baseball for almost 50 years and one thing I have learned is you better not overlook first round games in a regional.

You will see the other team's ace in almost all circumstances and I do not care what conference they are from they will be formidable.

TSU is starting their #2.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

TSU is starting their #2.

If not mistaken,  he is a lefty which is probably a better match for our lineup.

Surprised somewhat that aggy is starting Doxakis (their ace lefty) against Indiana.

28 minutes ago, torre said:

If not mistaken,  he is a lefty which is probably a better match for our lineup.

Surprised somewhat that aggy is starting Doxakis (their ace lefty) against Indiana.

The kinda have to, as Indiana has 3 good weekend guys. Winning game 1 is important to teams with limited starting options. Texas is in the same boat, I wouldn't mess around with game 1.

There isn't enough differentiation, I guess, between our various pitchers to get too worked up about who gets the start in Game 1.  I do kind of like the idea of giving one of the young'uns the start to let them get exposure to the "big stage" before it really matters a ton.  Because it is almost inevitable that we're going to ask for some big innings from them in pressure situations.  At least it's at home.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

So much for my "lefty" theory.    Looking at their roster,  he is a RHP.    I will go sit in the corner.

They do have a LHP starter Furlong who has an unorthodox delivery which sometimes is our kryptonite.

4 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Is anyone's Dish guide showing the game on LHN?  Mine wasn't as of last night and their online channel guide isn't either.

A friend just informed me of the situation.    Would encourage everyone to contact ESPN, LHN, and Dish.    His quote:

This is because they have HD and Standard channels for LHN on Dish.  They only show live games on the HD channel.  They put this schedule up months in advance, their computer switches the HD channel on and off according to the schedule.  Since the Austin Regional is not part of the advanced schedule, the computer will not switch on the HD channel for the UT games.

21 minutes ago, torre said:

A friend just informed me of the situation.    Would encourage everyone to contact ESPN, LHN, and Dish.    His quote:

This is because they have HD and Standard channels for LHN on Dish.  They only show live games on the HD channel.  They put this schedule up months in advance, their computer switches the HD channel on and off according to the schedule.  Since the Austin Regional is not part of the advanced schedule, the computer will not switch on the HD channel for the UT games.

Another of many reasons I will never have any kind of "dish" on my roof for television even though that reason sounds absurd right there.