Solo: A Star Wars Story

Weeks away from its May 25 release and still sight unseen, it’s fair to say that Solo: A Star Wars Story already arrives as one of the more problem-plagued big-budget movies in recent memory. 

To hear our source tell it, the main difference between the co-directors’ filmmaking style and Howard’s boiled down to efficiency. Where Lord and Miller would typically demand more than 30 takes of a given scene — seemingly unsure of what they wanted other than a delivery “different” from the last — Howard got the job done in no more than two or three takes. “Phil and Chris are good directors, but they weren’t prepared for Star Wars,” says our source. “After the 25th take, the actors are looking at each other like, ‘This is getting weird.’ [Lord and Miller] seemed a bit out of control. They definitely felt the pressure; with one of these movies, there are so many people on top of you all the time. The first assistant director was really experienced and had to step in to help them direct a lot of scenes.” 

Howard, on the other hand, has a journeyman’s filmography that stretches back to 1984, spanning comedy-romance (Splash), biographical dramas (Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon), and pulpy thrillers (The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons). And he impressed the beleaguered Solo production by working “really fast.” “When he came on, he took control and you could feel it,” the actor says. “He got respect immediately. He’s really confident. A really easy guy to work with.”

In March 2017 the studio took the nearly unprecedented move of hiring an acting coach to help star Alden Ehrenreich more convincingly channel Ford’s swashbuckling affect in the original three Star Wars movies. “Trying to mimic Harrison Ford is really tough,” our source says. “Lucasfilm wanted something very specific: copying someone else. Alden’s not a bad actor — just not good enough.”

Having an on-set acting instructor may have assailed Ehrenreich’s sense of pride, but it almost immediately made an impact on his line delivery. “You could see his acting became more relaxed. He became more Harrison-like,” our source says. “The coach helped!”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/solo-a-star-wars-story-actor-details-production-troubles.html

• Like 1

The acting coach stuff doesn't bother me as much given they wanted him to be more like Harrison Ford because freelancing on the part wasn't what people will want to see. I'd also suspect Lord and Miller might not be the best pair to get as much out of an actor as someone like Ron Howard would. Ultimately, I just want a fun Star Wars movie. They don't all have to be Empire or Rogue One. We all know Han, Lando and Chewie don't die so it's going to prequels like going in because you already know the stakes. If it's a heist film that has some fun, I'm good with that. Just go in with low expectations. I'd rather they just done an entire Lando movie than a Han movie. 

Edited by mdmost

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

There's just no way it's going to be good with a lead actor who struggled so much they had to hire an acting coach.

This guy has been pretty good in everything i've seen him in. Should have let him do his thing and not try to clone him into Harrison Ford. I mean there is only one HF.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, ckhorn said:

This guy has been pretty good in everything i've seen him in. Should have let him do his thing and not try to clone him into Harrison Ford. I mean there is only one HF.

Yeah the bullshit about having him try to ape Ford was a bad idea. Playing him younger means playing him differently at least in part. I hope they didn't force Childish Gambino into playing a malt liquor ad.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, ckhorn said:

Yep.  That's pretty much what I said when this film was announced.

It's a terrible idea to try and ask another actor to try and replicate one of the top 10 iconic movie characters of all time.  You're just asking to get your ass kicked trying to pull something like that.

There's plenty of fantastic original Star Wars stories they can tell without having to resort to telling origin stories of one of the iconic characters.  Just stick to stuff like Rogue One or tell Clone Wars stories or something like Rebels.   Build compelling characters and compelling stories and people will love them.

And speaking of Solo -- it's crazy that the movie is like 6 weeks from release and there still is no full trailer, only the teaser trailer.  That can't be a good sign.

Interesting if this happens given all the fears about it. Cannes is not exactly the audience you'd expect to take in a Star Wars movie.

‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Set For Surprise Cannes Premiere

by Mike Fleming JrApril 5, 2018 1:42pm

BREAKING NEWS

CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY

SURPRISE PREMIERE

Disney

EXCLUSIVE: Solo: A Star Wars Story will make its debut at the Cannes Film Festival, Deadline has learned.

Related

'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Teaser: Cue The Origins Tale Of The Best Pilot In The Galaxy

The festival still is finalizing its competition film roster, but organizers won’t find a bigger film than this one. Sources said that the Lucasfilm origin story will premiere in a special screening May 15, before the picture makes its global premiere May 25. The Ron Howard-directed origin story stars Alden Ehrenreich as the young Han Solo, the role made famous by Harrison Ford. Donald Glover plays Lando Calrissian, and Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Paul Bettany and Thandie Newton also star.

The Cannes roster has been the subject of wide speculation, and the festival announced this morning that the Javier Bardem-Penelope Cruz drama Everybody Knows will be the opening-night film, directed by Asghar Farhadi. That and numerous other films have been rumored for weeks, but The Force being with Cannes is a big surprise. Stay tuned. Disney didn’t respond to an inquiry.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:33 PM, kevwun said:

There's just no way it's going to be good with a lead actor who struggled so much they had to hire an acting coach.

How hard is to just be a fucking asshole.  I mean, that's really all Ford is, and it's pretty much the way he is IRL.  It's so gotdamn easy, even a mullet could do it.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

LinedNextBoutu-size_restricted.gif

You're gonna die here you know.  Convenient. 

16 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Meh.  I never thought this would happen but I think I'm just Star Wars'd out.

Like getting back together with a girl only to discover it's the same old shit.  The relationship started to go south back in 1983.  She's gone dude, let it go.  

Edited by PRONG HORN
  • Like 1

The thing that sticks out to me most about the trailer is that it doesn't SOUND like a Star Wars movie.  The score of the actual film may be different, but I don't recall anything so starkly different about the Rogue 1 trailers.

Then again, I'm getting old.  Memory may be fading.

• Like 1

John Williams is doing the score so it will sound like a Star Wars movie. But it's not going to have the usual fanfare, similar to Rogue One. Rogue One wasn't scored by John Williams. I'll add, it will probably have a lot of variations on Han and Chewie themes from the OT. Similar to Williams score for TFA and TLJ such as the slowed down Han and Leia theme in the trailer for TFA.

Edited by mdmost