Jump to content
cactusflinthead

Depression, OCD, and whatever else ails you between the ears

Recommended Posts

My daughter attempted suicide last night. She’s recovering in the hospital now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XYZ said:

My daughter attempted suicide last night. She’s recovering in the hospital now.

so sorry, man.  hang in there and try to keep your head up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, XYZ said:

My daughter attempted suicide last night. She’s recovering in the hospital now.

Oh man. I can't imagine. I hope this is the bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words. She’s been at Dell Children’s since last night, but they just informed us that they don’t have a bed for her in the psychiatric ward (supposedly they only have 16 beds there), so they will likely transfer her to Austin Oaks. Pretty frustrating that THE pediatric hospital in the city is sending us away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...anybody know of any boarding schools in central Texas that would have doctors on staff and be able to keep a troubled teenager safe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, XYZ said:

So...anybody know of any boarding schools in central Texas that would have doctors on staff and be able to keep a troubled teenager safe?

I don’t think we have many boarding schools in Texas. TMI in SA & San Marcos Academy are boarding schools, but pretty rigorous/stressful academically. Marine Military Academy in Harlingen is entirely boarding school kids I think, not too intense academically, and definitely gives the students tons of structure & attention. However it’s all-boys and seemed like just a school for fuck-ups from rich families that got in trouble and got sent down to get corrected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, XYZ said:

So...anybody know of any boarding schools in central Texas that would have doctors on staff and be able to keep a troubled teenager safe?

Looking around at the googles I found a list. Most of them seem to be geared towards substance abuse, you're probably going to have talk to them to find the right one. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/treatment-rehab/residential-boarding-school/texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Central Texas, but here's one for girls near Houston.  Doesn't appear to be primarily substance abuse.  https://www.fulsheartransition.com/

Despite there being a significant profit motive in many "treatment centers," a lot of the people in them tend to be very helpful.

This place, The Meadows, is regarded as pretty much a gold standard on substance abuse co-occurring with other issues.  I suspect they might be helpful.  https://www.themeadows.com/

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not Central Texas, but here's one for girls near Houston.  Doesn't appear to be primarily substance abuse.  https://www.fulsheartransition.com/

Despite there being a significant profit motive in many "treatment centers," a lot of the people in them tend to be very helpful.

This place, The Meadows, is regarded as pretty much a gold standard on substance abuse co-occurring with other issues.  I suspect they might be helpful.  https://www.themeadows.com/

Thanks. Unfortunately those two places are for 18+ year old women. My kid is 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, XYZ said:

Thanks. Unfortunately those two places are for 18+ year old women. My kid is 16.

You call any of them on the psytoday list? 

I know Hockaday is all girls and they probably have docs, but I don't think that's where she ought to go. 

Man, I'd be a goddamn mess. I hope you're doing ok. How is it going? 

Maybe a couple of weeks or months at a camp or something. Sometimes a hard physical endeavor gets us out of the funk long enough to grasp some clarity. It at the very least gets us out of the environment we were in. 

Spitballing here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all I know, Hockaday is a very high-pressure environment.  They do have boarding, but it's a small minority, and I imagine they do have psychologists, but I don't think it's the place you're looking for.

I found one, in Austin, for girls https://www.cedaridge.net/g/Girls-Boarding-Schools/Austin-Texas-TX/

It looks like the magic terminology is "therapeutic boarding school."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

From all I know, Hockaday is a very high-pressure environment.  They do have boarding, but it's a small minority, and I imagine they do have psychologists, but I don't think it's the place you're looking for.

I found one, in Austin, for girls https://www.cedaridge.net/g/Girls-Boarding-Schools/Austin-Texas-TX/

It looks like the magic terminology is "therapeutic boarding school."

Yeah, I didn't think it was a good idea either, but I'm down to grasping at straws. High pressure is damn right. if anything it might make shit worse.But, it was all I had.

Sweatergawd, I'm looking at anything. I don't know what the hell to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To anyone dealing with mental health issues, either personally or with a loved one, the main thing to realize or communicate is you are not alone. Millions of people deal with mental health everyday to a varying degree. As someone who has dealt with this personally and with loved ones, one major reoccuring fear is that you are the only people dealing with this issue, there is a feeling of shame, and you are alone. And nothing could be further from the truth. As this thread demonstrates, everyone deals with this stuff. Your mother has mental health issues. Your father has mental health issues. Your best friend has mental health issues. Your daughter has mental health issues. There is nothing wrong with it. It is the same thing as a broken leg. You have to address the issue, get medical care, whether it is medicine or therapy, but people deal with them and it does get better. I am proof. You are proof. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

To anyone dealing with mental health issues, either personally or with a loved one, the main thing to realize or communicate is you are not alone. Millions of people deal with mental health everyday to a varying degree. As someone who has dealt with this personally and with loved ones, one major reoccuring fear is that you are the only people dealing with this issue, there is a feeling of shame, and you are alone. And nothing could be further from the truth. As this thread demonstrates, everyone deals with this stuff. Your mother has mental health issues. Your father has mental health issues. Your best friend has mental health issues. Your daughter has mental health issues. There is nothing wrong with it. It is the same thing as a broken leg. You have to address the issue, get medical care, whether it is medicine or therapy, but people deal with them and it does get better. I am proof. You are proof. 

Thanks for saying that. It does indeed feel pretty fucking lonely, dealing with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

To anyone dealing with mental health issues, either personally or with a loved one, the main thing to realize or communicate is you are not alone. Millions of people deal with mental health everyday to a varying degree. As someone who has dealt with this personally and with loved ones, one major reoccuring fear is that you are the only people dealing with this issue, there is a feeling of shame, and you are alone. And nothing could be further from the truth. As this thread demonstrates, everyone deals with this stuff. Your mother has mental health issues. Your father has mental health issues. Your best friend has mental health issues. Your daughter has mental health issues. There is nothing wrong with it. It is the same thing as a broken leg. You have to address the issue, get medical care, whether it is medicine or therapy, but people deal with them and it does get better. I am proof. You are proof. 

 

 

this is the truth.   plenty of us have been through some shit or seen some shit.   not all the exact same flavor but definitely in the ballpark.   lots voices of experience around these parts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t check in on this thread in a while. Hang in there XYZ. I don’t have any words of comfort other than just love on her and know she’s not alone. Life sometimes is nothing but a sack of rocks. I’m praying she reconnects with her joy of life and can lean on that and you to see this through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 9:55 PM, Bill Brasky said:

this is the truth.   plenty of us have been through some shit or seen some shit.   not all the exact same flavor but definitely in the ballpark.   lots voices of experience around these parts 

Which also raises the point that most mental illnesses, no matter how facially different, probably have more in common than different.  Someone dealing with an eating disorder, or substance abuse problem, or their family, may have a lot to offer someone dealing with seemingly simpler depression and anxiety or bipolar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's why I read along over at the AA thread. In fact it was something that happened over there that motivated me to hit post on this thread. 

We're all in this together whether or not we see it or know it. The stuff that makes you depressed and/or anxious might not be the same as mine, but it sure has the same effect. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well boys, tomorrow I am presenting a "Lunch and Learn" session at ... Raytheon. In addition to the employees who will be there live, it is being broadcast on Raytheon's internal broadcast network. 

I am bringing Dr. Stephanie Setliff from the Eating Recovery Center to do the heavy lifting.

The first large corporation we will be addressing. It feels like the night before a big trial ... anxious, anticipatory, confident, nervous.

Stay on the path ... Stay on the path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I did a solo temporary water prevention (i.e. put synthetic vapor barrier [instead of felt] on a roof) today for a house in Kyle that got hit with that mini-tornado back around 3 or 4 weeks ago.

My back is killing me, I almost slipped 4x on loose shingle grit (3Tab roof, so pretty flat) & I tweaked something in one of the recoveries.

 

Plus, I'm probably 3 or 4 days behind schedule in getting contracts out to customers because I've been rolling solo on a lot of work & having to drive my daughter to get started on her GS cookie sales (her stretch goal is 2,000 individual boxes) until my wife can arrive from work.

 

I'm beat to hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you ever experienced anxiety induced weight loss? I'm on a journey to lose weight the natural way BUT 10 years ago I had a panic attack. Heavy breathing, heart rate at 160, blood pressure through the roof, and an ER doc falsely told me I had a heart rhythm problem. A year and a half after that I finally had a cardiologist tell me that my heart is 100% in shape but it was torture the entire time. Weight went from 220 to 205 and my anxiety symptoms came in the form of an uncontrollable bladder. Literally felt like I had to piss every 5 minutes. It was horrible. People kept telling me "wow you look great! that diet and exercise is working" yet the only thing that kept me sane was lying on the couch or in my bed watching chappelle show reruns. I'm so thankful I passed that point in my life and if you're experiencing something like that I got your back. Been there done that. You will bounce back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marriage problems + unexpected job loss (one I really liked) led to some anxiety related weight loss for me. I just could gaf about eating most of the time and lived on coffee and gummy bears through a reallllly tough stretch of time while looking for another job. 
 

Things have settled a bit now that things have calmed down (on the marriage and job front) but I still fall back into those rhythms during rough patches. Exercise and time with friends i have found is the best thing to reset myself and get back to a healthy appetite and mindset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost 50-60 pounds in 13 months during the financial crisis as I watched my business implode. Lost everything. Diet Coke and trail mix was all I could eat. I had a double double whataburger once a week for some strange reason though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add me to the opposite of ‘stress eating’... I’ll shed 10 lbs in a couple months of busy season typically. Beef jerky and peanuts making up 40% of my caloric intake then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t “stress eat” too much, but I stop giving a shit about what I eat. Like, I had basically quit eating bread a long time ago, and the other day I was like “ehh, fuck it”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...