PorscheGuy

Give me your Chicago rec’s.

18 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Listen to this man. And it's already been mentioned, but I fucking love Girl and Goat. You're going to have to wait but it's worth it. 

And if it's booked you can take a chance of going and getting a seat at the bar to eat. Not for everyone but first come first serve and you can order the full menu.

20 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

For sunset I always took folks to Signature Lounge at Hancock. Get there early and get a window seat, go during the week. This way you can skip the cluster fuck that is "Sears", it will always be Sears tower to me. 

This is the pro local tip. Fuck the Sears tower hard. It's expensive and full of dirty tourists. The Hancock building is where it's at. It won't be nearly as crowded and has spectacular views (I think even better than the Sears) 

This is the pro local tip. Fuck the Sears tower hard. It's expensive and full of dirty tourists. The Hancock building is where it's at. It won't be nearly as crowded and has spectacular views (I think even better than the Sears) 

Plus, sneak down to the condo section to find out where Chris Farley died. He drank himself to death at the Cheesecake Factory at the base of the building.

7a34630aeaa38d0a9af013a2a1b58108.jpg

A little old school photo

Isn’t the OG Billy Goat Tavern out near the Arena?  We checked it out after a ballgame back in November, didn’t order anything though. 

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Isn’t the OG Billy Goat Tavern out near the Arena?  We checked it out after a ballgame back in November, didn’t order anything though. 

The OG was by the Old Chicago Stadium but it is no more with the United Center there. In fact I think they built the UC on top of where it used to be. The current oldest I believe is on Michigan Ave. There is one near the UC but it isn't the original I know that. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

I like Quartino, but perhaps the vibe is better than the food. Don't get me wrong - the food is solid, and I would go back, but ultimately there may be better choices closer to you. 

The Gage is great - prefer to eat at the bar solo when I'm there on business. 

The tasting menus are interesting at Topolobampo, I quite enjoyed the recent 'Art Menu'. The margaritas there are seriously good. 

Jotting down notes here for my next visit. . . 

I know you said you hate the tasting menu experience, but Alinea is unbelievable.  Super creative menu, and you will not leave hungry.  

On 7/6/2018 at 9:58 AM, Buzzrock said:

Hopefully you booked the river tour that goes through the lock and out into the lake. It’s worth it.

Agreed

Holy shit the city is perfect today.  Gonna rip up and down lake shore drive before the boozing kicks in.  This is why you live through the miserable winters - admittedly, these days, I cheat and leave quite a bit for those 8 months...

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holy shit the city is perfect today.  Gonna rip up and down lake shore drive before the boozing kicks in.  This is why you live through the miserable winters - admittedly, these days, I cheat and leave quite a bit for those 8 months...

If you're getting the same weather were getting 6 hours west, you ain't kidding.

It is fucking spectacular in the Upper Midwest.

Any thoughts on Ukranian Village vs. Pilsen? Looking up some Air BnB's for early October trip with family. Houses look good (and affordable), but everybody says they're walking distance from "trendy" bars and restaurants etc. Any other considerations? (We're brown as fuck so I think we'll blend into Pilsen nicely)

Also, we're beginning to get worried that 5 days might be a bit much (I'm happy just hanging around eating and drinking after day 3, but alas not everyone is), any recommendations for a day trip outside of the area? Milwaukee doable and/or worth it?

Edited by BurdineBandit

It’s been spectacular the last two days too. Love being here when it’s like this.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, BurdineBandit said:

Any thoughts on Ukranian Village vs. Pilsen? Looking up some Air BnB's for early October trip with family. Houses look good (and affordable), but everybody says they're walking distance from "trendy" bars and restaurants etc. Any other considerations? (We're brown as fuck so I think we'll blend into Pilsen nicely)

Also, we're beginning to get worried that 5 days might be a bit much (I'm happy just hanging around eating and drinking after day 3, but alas not everyone is), any recommendations for a day trip outside of the area? Milwaukee doable and/or worth it?

Milwaukee is a 90 min Amtrak ride from Union Station and absolutely worth it for a night. Lake shore in MKE is nice, some good bars along the river, and the public parks have beer gardens. 

Pilsen and Ukrainian Village are both a little out of the way from the sights but cool nonetheless. Pilsen a little rougher around the edges. You should also consider Wicker Park, Bucktown, West Loop, or Lincoln Park. 

I sat at the chef’s counter at Purple Pig a couple nights ago and it was awesome. Those folks hustle. We had pork belly, octopus, beets, paella, and probably something else I’m not remembering. All excellent.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, BurdineBandit said:

UK Village all the way. Pilsen is cool, and there are some cool restaurants and art studios down there. But it's isolated from the rest of the city and there's no L stop. You're kinda stuck there. UK Village is adjacent to a lot of other cool spots, and isn't too far from downtown. I would stay there. 

all i can think about is ducking out of work early and hitting the Big Star patio for an afternoon of margaritas.

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Milwaukee is a 90 min Amtrak ride from Union Station and absolutely worth it for a night. Lake shore in MKE is nice, some good bars along the river, and the public parks have beer gardens. 

Pilsen and Ukrainian Village are both a little out of the way from the sights but cool nonetheless. Pilsen a little rougher around the edges. You should also consider Wicker Park, Bucktown, West Loop, or Lincoln Park. 

Thanks, 90 minutes isn't bad at all. Probably can swing a night so going to consider doing that.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

UK Village all the way. Pilsen is cool, and there are some cool restaurants and art studios down there. But it's isolated from the rest of the city and there's no L stop. You're kinda stuck there. UK Village is adjacent to a lot of other cool spots, and isn't too far from downtown. I would stay there. 

Thanks, that's great insight, I've seen the layout of the city on a map but you can't get practicality insight on a map.

any recommendations for a good neighborhood for airbnbs? proximity to grant park, aquarium, etc would be preferred, wouldn't mind being within 20 minutes of those via public transport either.

Haven’t been in over ten years. But Gennaro’s on Taylor Street was awesome Italian food. Small. Old school.  You have to be buzzed in as the door is locked. 

It’s been a busy 3 days . Weather has been awesome 

Cloud Gate - aka the Bean - we did it. Nice park but this didn’t really blow my skirt up

Willis Tower - surprisingly no line on Thursday. It’s tall. You can see the city. Ok

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company - this pizza pot pie was fucking amazing. Fatness engaged 

Architecture River Boat Tour - highly recommend. Make sure to get Kevin as your guide. He made the tour. 

Portillos - had some Chicago Dogs here. They were delicious. 

(Walked across the street to McDonalds after to get some coffee but mainly because this was the nicest McDonalds I’ve ever seen. Free air phone chargers, computer kiosks, the future looks amazing.)

Cubs game - great experience. Saw the cubs beat the reds on Friday. Got there three hours before and drank at the Brickhouse tavern next to the park. Just a cool park and great experience. 

Raised - roof bar on the river. Great atmosphere and great view of all the towers. Weather was great 

this city is pretty cool. Really enjoyed the time here. 

Other observations: traffic is a bitch. Make sure to add extra time before an event as it’s hard to get around as there are way too many people. 

Negative: the Midwest is full of some ugly ass people. 

On 9/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, Neonmoon said:

(Walked across the street to McDonalds after to get some coffee but mainly because this was the nicest McDonalds I’ve ever seen. Free air phone chargers, computer kiosks, the future looks amazing.)

That McDonalds used to be a shit hole. Wesley Willis wrote "Rock and Roll McDonalds" about it..

I'll just add that we ate at Topolobampo last summer and it was amazing.  Definitely worth going to one of RB's restaurants.

Also recommend Topolobampo. Freaking outstanding! Went for lunch. Killer margaritas. Cheviche was excellent. I had some kind of blackened soft shell crabs in a tomato broth taco. Insanely good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to a high school buddy's wedding in Indiana this weekend. Had to bribe my 21 year old son by promising some time and restaraunts in Chicago. 

Stayed at the W lakshore. It's fine.

Ate lunch at Lou's for pizza.

Drank at some beach bar across the road from the W.

Dinner at some Imperial Dim Sum place that was ok but nothing spectacular.

Drank at the Redhead piano bar until 3:30 am.

Ate lunch at the Publican and it was spectacular as usual.

Stopped off at Calumet Fisheries on the way out of town and.grabbed $50 worth of smoked fish.

Came back through town today and ate at the Tiny Goat and it was incredible. Highly recommend.

I really like Frontera but couldn't squeeze it in this trip.

Will be there in a few weeks for a long weekend. Want to stay in a cool place but most important is probably location - want a good walkable fun to explore area with a bunch of cool shit. Out of 4 seasons, Chicago athletic club, soho house, and park Hyatt which one is in best spot for having fun walking around? I’ve heard that particular park Hyatt is great. Any standout hotels unique to Chicago? We love soho house in other cities but it doesn’t seem like it’s in as active an area (as far as I can tell but don’t know for sure).

Also any guidance on how far out you have to be to get a reservation at alinea? Any other recs for a great meal if only a few weeks away?

If you are on Michigan Ave between Lake Shore and Illinois St I really don't think hotel matter all that much. Park Hyatt is nice as I love Rush St, and Gibson's is only a couple blocks away. 

18 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Will be there in a few weeks for a long weekend. Want to stay in a cool place but most important is probably location - want a good walkable fun to explore area with a bunch of cool shit. Out of 4 seasons, Chicago athletic club, soho house, and park Hyatt which one is in best spot for having fun walking around? I’ve heard that particular park Hyatt is great. Any standout hotels unique to Chicago? We love soho house in other cities but it doesn’t seem like it’s in as active an area (as far as I can tell but don’t know for sure).

Also any guidance on how far out you have to be to get a reservation at alinea? Any other recs for a great meal if only a few weeks away?

We have stayed at the hotel Palomar for probably the last 8-10 years at least once or twice a year. It was showing a little age when we were there last, but we still like it. There are plenty of good restaurants right around it. Breakfast at Yolk is a given. We tried Roka Akor and Steak 48 when we were there last month and enjoyed both.

Honestly, the West Loop is my favorite location to stay in the city. A short train ride to pretty much anywhere, walkable to Au Cheval and Girl & Goat (as mentioned) and other cool restaurants. Plus one of the Goose Island brewhouses is nearby.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, Brew said:

We have stayed at the hotel Palomar for probably the last 8-10 years at least once or twice a year. It was showing a little age when we were there last, but we still like it. There are plenty of good restaurants right around it. Breakfast at Yolk is a given. We tried Roka Akor and Steak 48 when we were there last month and enjoyed both.

Yolk has fallen off.  Go wildberry.  Use the yelp app to get in line remotely.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yolk has fallen off.  Go wildberry.  Use the yelp app to get in line remotely.  

We talked about trying it last month, but that State St. location of Yolk has been super convenient since they opened it. We’ll give it a try next trip.

Edited by Brew

Posted (edited)

Any recs on places to stay?  I have to go there for a memorial service in Evanston. The hotels in Evanston itself are ridiculously expensive, so was thinking of trying to find a place on the north side.

To clarify:  not necessarily looking for a cheap hotel.  But if I'm going to spend $250/night on a room, it might as well be in the city proper.

Edited by lemonlime

27 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Any recs on places to stay?  I have to go there for a memorial service in Evanston. The hotels in Evanston itself are ridiculously expensive, so was thinking of trying to find a place on the north side.

To clarify:  not necessarily looking for a cheap hotel.  But if I'm going to spend $250/night on a room, it might as well be in the city proper.

Godfrey May be close to that price?  Great rooftop there too

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

If you are looking for a cheap place near Evanston, look in Skokie. I’m in Evanston for work a week a year. We used to stay in Skokie, but moved over to downtown Evanston several years back. There are a number of good restaraunts and bars right downtown, so it was more convenient to be down there. Bat 17 has a solid beer selection and excellent food.

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

If you are looking for a cheap place near Evanston, look in Skokie. I’m in Evanston for work a week a year. We used to stay in Skokie, but moved over to downtown Evanston several years back. There are a number of good restaraunts and bars right downtown, so it was more convenient to be down there. Bat 17 has a solid beer selection and excellent food.

Thanks.   I usually stay at the Orrington, but it was $250/night, which seemed absurd.   I'll either stay at a really nice place in the city for that kind of money.  Or find something cheap in the burbs.

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

Thanks.   I usually stay at the Orrington, but it was $250/night, which seemed absurd.   I'll either stay at a really nice place in the city for that kind of money.  Or find something cheap in the burbs.

We stayed in the Orrington for the last 6-7 years, but we moved over to the Hyatt House this year. It was a significant improvement. There is a Courtyard a few blocks over that was s little cheaper than both.

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Ambassador Chicago ( used to be the Public) I stay there pretty often and am always pleased with it.

59 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Ambassador Chicago ( used to be the Public) I stay there pretty often and am always pleased with it.

Love my neighborhood.  I live at 11 E. Walton so you can pop in for some booze.  I’m biased but Gold Coast feels less touristy then river north which is a plus in my book.  

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Love my neighborhood.  I live at 11 E. Walton so you can pop in for some booze.  I’m biased but Gold Coast feels less touristy then river north which is a plus in my book.  

I either stay at The Thompson or Ambassador. Big fan of Sparrow.

38 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I either stay at The Thompson or Ambassador. Big fan of Sparrow.

My man.  Sparrow is a gem.  

Hey doc - any thoughts on soho house v park Hyatt v peninsula? Love soho house in other cities but not as familiar with Fulton market area. Fun area to explore? Any other hotel recs for long weekend for our first time to city? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Hey doc - any thoughts on soho house v park Hyatt v peninsula? Love soho house in other cities but not as familiar with Fulton market area. Fun area to explore? Any other hotel recs for long weekend for our first time to city? Thanks!

That area has blown up. Would def go soho house.  

mdmost and I will be in Chicago next week for s few days to take in a Cubs game amongst other activities. Staying in the Miracle Mile area. Any recs for a place with a really good, extensive beer selection and also with good food that is somewhat close to/along the rail lines or not too terribly far of an Uber from them? I’ve looked up several breweries and beer bars that look good but all seem to be much more north or out further west from where we are staying or along the rail line I’d assume we’d be using (such as the one we will take to get to Wrigley).

TIA

Posted (edited)

Bastille day party at Waldorf courtyard.  Talent is almost LA level.  Sold out both years but happy to host any shaggy degenerates next year.  Mark it down.   

Edited by ChiTownDoc