Jump to content

CFB coaching carousel


Machinator

Recommended Posts

Lots of DL (and former DL) coaches on the move

Arizona State: Vikings assistant defensive line coach Robert Rodriguez is expected to join the staff as defensive line coach, Adam Rittenberg tweets. Rodriguez has been a part of the Vikings staff since 2015 and started his coaching career at UTEP.

Tennessee: Colorado defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh is leaving to join the Vols in the same capacity, Bruce Feldman tweets.

South Carolina: Tennessee defensive line coach Tracy Rocker is leaving to become the new defensive line coach for the Gamecocks, 247 reports.

Houston Texans: Tennessee outside linebackers coach Chris Rumph is joining the Texans staff, Rivals reports. We’ve been hearing, and shared earlier today, that Rumph had been speaking with a number of NFL teams.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Houston Texans: Tennessee outside linebackers coach Chris Rumph is joining the Texans staff, Rivals reports. We’ve been hearing, and shared earlier today, that Rumph had been speaking with a number of NFL teams.

Houston Texans... that's the best NFL team in the universe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, LTtxfan said:

Did Indiana just get an upgrade over Mark Hagen?

Indiana: Former Michigan State defensive tackles coach Ron Burton will join the staff as defensive line coach, per Taylor Lehman of TheHoosier.com. We’re told he’ll also be a co-defensive coordinator.

NOT SO FAST.....¬† ūüėāūüėāūüėā

Michigan State: According to multiple reports, defensive tackles coach Ron Burton has decided not to leave for Indiana and it appears that he will remain in East Lansing. Zach Osterman and Matt Charbonuea were among the first to share the news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Bert could do well at CU....they have always had more success with a pound it out running game style of play and that style of play is doing well in the PAC 12 right now (see Utah)

it might not win it all in the conference every year or ever (see Utah), but it will get them into the top half of the conference consistently and that is the big "goal" for CU now anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem for Charlie is that he's proven himself to be worse than Bret Bielema (and no small number of others) as a Head Coach. He hasn't shown much when trying to run a defense or a special team. Somebody desperate  might hire him as a DC, but it doesn't look like anyone's quite that desperate just yet. He can barely make a coherent prepared statement, let alone comment in real time about a game in progress, so no media job for him. Unpaid or barely paid analyst is about all he's going to see - unless something changes fundamentally for him.

After his first season at Texas, Miz Long said he seemed like he might be qualified as the world's highest paid guidance counselor, so maybe there's hope yet.

 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, if Booger can get a job talking on tv, maybe there's hope. They could give him his own show... call it "It's Just All About". Yeah, that's the ticket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The problem for Charlie is that he's proven himself to be worse than Bret Bielema (and no small number of others) as a Head Coach. He hasn't shown much when trying to run a defense or a special team. Somebody desperate  might hire him as a DC, but it doesn't look like anyone's quite that desperate just yet. He can barely make a coherent prepared statement, let alone comment in real time about a game in progress, so no media job for him. Unpaid or barely paid analyst is about all he's going to see - unless something changes fundamentally for him.

Weren't his Florida defenses pretty good?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

West Virginia: Dontae Wright has been announced as the Mountaineers new outside linebackers coach. Wright coached the safeties at Western Michigan the past two seasons.

Arizona State: Donnie Henderson has joined the staff as an analyst, per Doug Haller of The Athletic. Henderson is in his fifth decade coaching in the college game and the NFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Weren't his Florida defenses pretty good?

I like you as a poster. Your unfiltered optimism is an issue, but overall, you add great value.  

Then, you post takes like this. Is it because you didn’t give the post much thought? Or are you this dense? The Charley Strong defenses at Florida were a long time ago. In between now and then, he’s a proven idiot and failure and the CFB landscape has changed. 

Do you really believe this imbecile could design a sustainable defense today against multiple offenses with great thinkers? We didn’t see it in 2016. Not even close. But sure, he had good defenses 14 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like you as a poster. Your unfiltered optimism is an issue, but overall, you add great value.  

Then, you post takes like this. Is it because you didn’t give the post much thought? Or are you this dense? The Charley Strong defenses at Florida were a long time ago. In between now and then, he’s a proven idiot and failure and the CFB landscape has changed. 

Do you really believe this imbecile could design a sustainable defense today against multiple offenses with great thinkers? We didn’t see it in 2016. Not even close. But sure, he had good defenses 14 years ago. 

God you may be right but my 31 year old ass would lover to fuck your daughter and wife like a pornhub clip you sanctimonious cock. Also , I like your posts. NOT. 

  • Fuck You 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Do you really believe this imbecile could design a sustainable defense today against multiple offenses with great thinkers? We didn’t see it in 2016. Not even close. But sure, he had good defenses 14 years ago. 

At this point, I’m not sure he could blow the wrapper off a straw. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

God you may be right but my 31 year old ass would lover to fuck your daughter and wife like a pornhub clip you sanctimonious cock. Also , I like your posts. NOT. 

New poster, weird preemptive age check, psycho paedophilic rape fantasy,  Billy badass name calling, but the real *chef's kiss* of this out of nowhere insane rambling is the NOT joke, which hasn't been actually funny since this poster was a toddler apparently. 

Is this Harvdog's new name?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

God you may be right but my 31 year old ass would lover to fuck your daughter and wife like a pornhub clip you sanctimonious cock. Also , I like your posts. NOT. 

There’s being an asshole, and then there’s being a piece of shit. You definitely have a rapist’s wit though. Solid work. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Viper said:

New poster, weird preemptive age check, psycho paedophilic rape fantasy,  Billy badass name calling, but the real *chef's kiss* of this out of nowhere insane rambling is the NOT joke, which hasn't been actually funny since this poster was a toddler apparently. 

Is this Harvdog's new name?

 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There’s being an asshole, and then there’s being a piece of shit. You definitely have a rapist’s wit though. Solid work. 

 

Holy sheet, blackout posting is no bueno. Apologies all around gents!!!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I like you as a poster. Your unfiltered optimism is an issue, but overall, you add great value.  

Then, you post takes like this. Is it because you didn’t give the post much thought? Or are you this dense? The Charley Strong defenses at Florida were a long time ago. In between now and then, he’s a proven idiot and failure and the CFB landscape has changed. 

Do you really believe this imbecile could design a sustainable defense today against multiple offenses with great thinkers? We didn’t see it in 2016. Not even close. But sure, he had good defenses 14 years ago. 

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football? My high school football coach won a Texas 5A state championship,. That's not CFB, but that year, he coached the best high school team in the state, if not the country. I have often wondered how he could have earned a college degree, but he didn't go to play school, so there you go. It is not rocket science; it is not brain surgery. It's like fishing: it takes a certain set of skills, and a lot of practice, but you don't have to be super smart. Running an entire college program at a mid tier on up school does require intellect, but there are a lot of solid DCs and D line coaches, and linebacker coaches, who can't spell cat if you spot them the c and the t. Great thinkers? I can recall one of those wine sippers running our program. 

Edited by 1leggedduck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only if what I'm saying is misinterpreted. I don't think Strong would make an effective DC in 2020 at a top tier program. Could he run the defense at a directional? Sure. Could he coach positions at a major? Sure. I don't think he's a brilliant man, but you don't have to be brilliant to coach football. You probably do have to be brilliant to be the HC of a successful program at a major. Probably to be a successful DC at a major. But it doesn't take a Rhodes fucking scholar to teach the art of block shedding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football? My high school football coach won a Texas 5A state championship,. That's not CFB, but that year, he coached the best high school team in the state, if not the country. I have often wondered how he could have earned a college degree, but he didn't go to play school, so there you go. It is not rocket science; it is not brain surgery. It's like fishing: it takes a certain set of skills, and a lot of practice, but you don't have to be super smart. Running an entire college program at a mid tier on up school does require intellect, but there are a lot of solid DCs and D line coaches, and linebacker coaches, who can't spell cat if you spot them the c and the t. Great thinkers? I can recall one of those wine sippers running our program. 

I sense there might be a manifesto appearing here soon...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football? My high school football coach won a Texas 5A state championship,. That's not CFB, but that year, he coached the best high school team in the state, if not the country. I have often wondered how he could have earned a college degree, but he didn't go to play school, so there you go. It is not rocket science; it is not brain surgery. It's like fishing: it takes a certain set of skills, and a lot of practice, but you don't have to be super smart. Running an entire college program at a mid tier on up school does require intellect, but there are a lot of solid DCs and D line coaches, and linebacker coaches, who can't spell cat if you spot them the c and the t. Great thinkers? I can recall one of those wine sippers running our program. 

This has to be one of the 995’ers attempting to take ctj for a ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football?

Do you really not know who CTJ is? He played 11 seasons in the NFL, for crissakes. His screen name was supposed to be CTE but that was already taken.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football?

Yes.  I was the starting linebacker (and captain of the defense) and punter on my hs team at a prep school of over 320 students. We were quite a powerhouse.  My credentials need not EVER be questioned.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football? My high school football coach won a Texas 5A state championship,. That's not CFB, but that year, he coached the best high school team in the state, if not the country. I have often wondered how he could have earned a college degree, but he didn't go to play school, so there you go. It is not rocket science; it is not brain surgery. It's like fishing: it takes a certain set of skills, and a lot of practice, but you don't have to be super smart. Running an entire college program at a mid tier on up school does require intellect, but there are a lot of solid DCs and D line coaches, and linebacker coaches, who can't spell cat if you spot them the c and the t. Great thinkers? I can recall one of those wine sippers running our program. 

Image result for al bundy quarterback

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

Here's a question: did you ever play football? I'm talking about at a fairly high level, being coached by men paid to coach football? My high school football coach won a Texas 5A state championship,. That's not CFB, but that year, he coached the best high school team in the state, if not the country. I have often wondered how he could have earned a college degree, but he didn't go to play school, so there you go. It is not rocket science; it is not brain surgery. It's like fishing: it takes a certain set of skills, and a lot of practice, but you don't have to be super smart. Running an entire college program at a mid tier on up school does require intellect, but there are a lot of solid DCs and D line coaches, and linebacker coaches, who can't spell cat if you spot them the c and the t. Great thinkers? I can recall one of those wine sippers running our program. 

 

2 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

Only if what I'm saying is misinterpreted. I don't think Strong would make an effective DC in 2020 at a top tier program. Could he run the defense at a directional? Sure. Could he coach positions at a major? Sure. I don't think he's a brilliant man, but you don't have to be brilliant to coach football. You probably do have to be brilliant to be the HC of a successful program at a major. Probably to be a successful DC at a major. But it doesn't take a Rhodes fucking scholar to teach the art of block shedding.

Yes, I played football at a "fairly" high level. Beyond that, I know coaches aren't very bright. I've been preaching that reality on the Internet for 20+ years because so many folks put them on a pedestal for whatever reason. So, we're in violent agreement on that front.

That considered, I wasn't merely thinking about mental capabilities for my post on Strong, but on top of that, his simple ability to play catch-up and be energetic while learning a totally new landscape as a DC some 10+ years after the last time he was engrossed in such a job requirement. I thought I also alluded to there being overall proof of his inability to keep up with the point about the futility of his defense when he engineered it in 2016. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...