¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I don’t know if a guide, but I am sure they are out there. Like the Facebook one that was mentioned (I don’t Facebook).

Honestly, if you are living in a green belt, I don’t think you should be killing any snakes. Even venomous ones. Your house is in their ecosystem and they are an important part of it. You likely have less mice and rats because of them. I understand you may have pets or kids you are worried about, but you can always find someone to remove the animal for free.

Excellent point about the removal for free if it’s an issue. Houston news is covering (local CBS) the FB snake page. And they posted this about a free removal service in Houston. Hmmmmm…video at the link.

“Handling snakes runs in one Houston family. We saw that first-hand. But fascination in snakes is all over social media and  you can join in. 

On Monday night, a KHOU 11 employee captured video of a snake at her apartment complex. To the rescue – Jeff Moore and his 12-year-old daughter.  Moore is part of a free snake rescue and removal service here in Houston.   

You can see the video of Moore and his daughter capturing the snake above. 

Then tonight at 6 p.m., Melissa Correa is taking you inside a Facebook group that’s growing in popularity.  Your neighbors are posing photos, asking about snakes and what kind they are. And experts are answering.”
https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/life/animals/father-and-daughter-rescue-snake-at-houston-apartment-complex/285-bc4d3d3b-10be-4d75-8b67-1153b00bae7a

I have been striking out on some targets this year.  I caught a Prairie King early on and was stoked, but my favorite is the Speckled King.  An acquaintance caught one on Snek Rd the other night.  I knew it would be a good night, but I couldn't get out because I was taking care of the kids.  I went out there this morning hoping to get lucky, but I wasn't.  Typical.  But I did see this large (18") Rough Green crossing the road.  He was kind of cool because some of the blues were showing in his scales.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Central Texas snake id on FB is great. Cottonmouths are the ones that are kinda difficult since they go through a lot of different patterns. The rest (rattle, copperhead, and coral) are fairly obvious. Leave them all alone or spray water on them to get them gone but you don’t need to resort to the shovel first thing.

I second the Central Texas Snake ID page on Facebook.  Spend five minutes flipping through the posts daily and you will have little problem identifying the snakes in your yard.  Also, a great place to post a picture for positive ID.

• Hook 'Em 1

This guy tried to break into my house last night.  I heard a clomp or glonk or something on the back deck, so I turned the light on and saw this fellow.  I think he was climbing the wall and fell down. 

20210530-220145.jpg

20210530-220151.jpg

Pretty sure it's just a friendly rat snek, right?
But man, I go out there barefoot sometimes to look at the stars. 
That same son of a bitch was at my back door last summer!
image.thumb.png.047c152391601506458a6784029b7026.png
Swayze sending his goons to collect. You mofo's better pay up.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

spacer.png

Any ideas on what this might be?  My mom snapped this pic a few weeks ago at our family ranch in western Kimble County.  They saw him crossing the road, and he quickly traversed to the top of this Oak tree.  It was about 6' long and was green with a yellow belly.  I'm fairly decent with snake identification, but this one stumped me.  Only thing I was thinking of was maybe a rat snake that had recently shed his skin?  I think that's the only thing common in that area of that size, but I've never seen one that color.  Wish I had a better pic.

Check out some pictures of a Eastern Yellow Bellied Racer and Western Coachwhip. 

Colors sound like the racer, but Kimble County is a stretch for its range.  Size is closer to a coachwhip.  I've seen coachwhips in all manner of colors and it's not uncommon to over-estimate the length of a snake.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

MINOLTA-DIGITAL-STILL-CAMERA.jpg
Any ideas on what this might be?  My mom snapped this pic a few weeks ago at our family ranch in western Kimble County.  They saw him crossing the road, and he quickly traversed to the top of this Oak tree.  It was about 6' long and was green with a yellow belly.  I'm fairly decent with snake identification, but this one stumped me.  Only thing I was thinking of was maybe a rat snake that had recently shed his skin?  I think that's the only thing common in that area of that size, but I've never seen one that color.  Wish I had a better pic.

If it was not for your description, I would have said Great Plains Rat Snake.

087af302ede0e36c0aaeaaf6e5dda36e.jpg
This fatty has been living under my hot tub. I saw the last two inches of his tail slipping under a few weeks ago. There has been a persistent funky smell on the patio, so I knew something was in there. My wife saw this a couple of hours ago and pluckily hung around long enough to snap this photo. Any ideas on how to get him out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bmbmd said:

This fatty has been living under my hot tub. I saw the last two inches of his tail slipping under a few weeks ago. There has been a persistent funky smell on the patio, so I knew something was in there. My wife saw this a couple of hours ago and pluckily hung around long enough to snap this photo. Any ideas on how to get him out?

I'd rather have that snake than the rats he is eating.  Once the food source is depleted, he'll move on.  

Spraying snakes with a water hose usually moves them along, but it this case it might just move him farther under the hot tub.

It’s easy, just ask him if he’s got a minute to talk about Jesus Christ.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'd rather have that snake than the rats he is eating.  Once the food source is depleted, he'll move on.  

Spraying snakes with a water hose usually moves them along, but it this case it might just move him farther under the hot tub.

Exactly. Rat snakes seem to always be on the prowl, looking for food. He’s probably depleting the rat nest buffet as I type.  He might laze around with a full belly digesting but I bet you don’t see him again.  He looks like a healthy specimen. 

He’s been  here over a month.  There’s a little creek fifty feet from my back door.  I suspect there’s a cornucopia of vermin and wee frogs to feast on. Doesn’t seem in a hurry to move on down

Do you have access to where he is hiding? If so, just put some leather gloves on and grab him. Put him in a bucket and go drop him off in the woods or a field. Or maybe an Aggie’s yard.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I may have to drain the tub, jack it up, and do it that way.  I've tried snake repellant, squirrel repellant, I've sprayed bleach under the tub, and I've significantly reduced the field mice by bopping them on the head.  I'm leaving my trusty potato rake by the back door in case I get lucky again.  That photo was taken in the 12 inch space between the tub and the back wall of the house.  My wife was standing at the back porch, unlocking the door and saw him out of the corner of her eye. 

• Haha 2

I may have to drain the tub, jack it up, and do it that way.  I've tried snake repellant, squirrel repellant, I've sprayed bleach under the tub, and I've significantly reduced the field mice by bopping them on the head.  I'm leaving my trusty potato rake by the back door in case I get lucky again.  That photo was taken in the 12 inch space between the tub and the back wall of the house.  My wife was standing at the back porch, unlocking the door and saw him out of the corner of her eye. 

Should have grabbed it instead of taking the picture.

Buy a bigger rat snake and tie one end of a rope to the tail of the rat snake and the other end to a column in the back of the house. Throw the rat snake under the hot tub and in a week or so have the wife use the string to pull him out. The old rat snake will be gone. Then take the tail tied rat snake back to the store from where you bought it and tell them that your wife refuses to touch snakes and doesn't very much like looking at them either.