¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 8/11/2021 at 11:59 AM, gsoda3 said:

check out this aberrant coral someone posted on one of my snake groups.  i would've mistaken it for a ring neck.  

image.png

So . . . how would one recognize an "aberrant" coral snake as such?  Because, like you, I would have mistaken it for a different family of snek.

So . . . how would one recognize an "aberrant" coral snake as such?  Because, like you, I would have mistaken it for a different family of snek.
It's really tough. With this one the swollen-thumb head shape is the tell. Ring necks taper off from the collar forward.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
12 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:
I vaguely remember that a cobra escaped somewhere in far North Austin 5-10 years ago, causing some consternation until they found it dead on the road.

If I remember correctly, it was suicide by cobra. After the guy was envenomated, the snake made a break for it.

Yes, snek tried to cross Lamar a couple of days later and didn't make it.

23 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I vaguely remember that a cobra escaped somewhere in far North Austin 5-10 years ago, causing some consternation until they found it dead on the road.

That was one classy cobra. Monocle and all. All we're getting out of DFW is some knucklehead venom spitter.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Unfortunately, this one’s owner thinks he crawled behind a wall somewhere & died from the heat. 

It's been over a week. If that is what really happened, don't you think they would have announced finding it there by now? Somebody loses a rat snek or a python, okay, they may not be as quick to react. A cobra? Yeah, you would think the first thing they did was check the house.  It's going to show up on a road somewhere not too far off, or on someone's deck one morning, basking in the sun.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd say about half the population of the country hates it. They're mostly called women.

Come on amigo. Hates a bad ass Sam Elliott and young Swayze?  Bruh.  Only a small group of women that “hate” those two, and even those few probably still ponder a little about it.  Or at least would two step around a diner at 7AM to king George.  I’m sorry but your theory just doesn’t hold water. Lol. 

41 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Come on amigo. Hates a bad ass Sam Elliott and young Swayze?  Bruh.  Only a small group of women that “hate” those two, and even those few probably still ponder a little about it.  Or at least would two step around a diner at 7AM to king George.  I’m sorry but your theory just doesn’t hold water. Lol. 

Yeah, I get that, but the action flick genre is not the one many chicks watch the Hallmark channel for.

16 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

black nose. Forget all those confusing songs about red touching yellow-- venomous coral snakes have black noses.

Thanks.  And forgive me for asking (because my knowledge about snek is limited), but what color nose would a similar-looking non-venomous king snake have?  IOW, how would their noses differ so I can tell the coral snek from the other?

10 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Thanks.  And forgive me for asking (because my knowledge about snek is limited), but what color nose would a similar-looking non-venomous king snake have?  IOW, how would their noses differ so I can tell the coral snek from the other?

in texas, similar looking king snakes would have red noses or maybe(?) white noses.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:36 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I saw this on a Central Texas Snake ID page:

-Here is how to ID a coralsnake.
Just like with any other species of snake, coloration is one method to ID a coralsnake. And just like several other species of snakes (copperhead comes to mind) there are aberrant coralsnakes so we encourage people to use other markers to ID coralsnakes, instead of relying on a rhyme.
Several other markers to use for ID'ing a Texas coralsnake are:
Very specific blunt head that is barely wider than the neck. On a quick glance, it looks the same size as the neck.
Shiny slender body that is approximately the same diameter for the entire length.
Black head with no trace of red.
No trace of red on the tail.
Rings that go all the way around the snake. Belly has the same pattern as the dorsal pattern.
Smooth, shiny, near perfect diamond shaped dorsal scales.
  • Hook 'Em 1