¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 6/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, That Guy said:

Gotcha. Just assumed city was charging. Lost creek charges $10 per adult and $5 per dog.

I get that the popularity is out of control, but I may never hike the greeenbelt again and that’s kinda sad. 

oh. Snek thread. My snek ate today. So on topic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pantone159 said:

King cobras are really gigantic, they are very intimidating to see in person. The Reptile World Serpentarium in St Cloud FL has one, it was impressive.

The Houston Zoo had one back in the 80s.  Sucker was enormous.

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

This dude has his head so far up his own ass it surprises me every day he hasn't been choked to death by his own shoe laces.

Take him to the nearest rattlesnake roundup.  Those are fun.  And terrifying...had them at the ranch when I was a kid.  

rattlesnakes003.jpg?w=620

11 hours ago, pantone159 said:

King cobras are really gigantic, they are very intimidating to see in person.

What's intimidating about a 15-foot long elapid with enough neurotoxic venom to fill a shot glass?

35 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Take him to the nearest rattlesnake roundup.  Those are fun.  And terrifying...had them at the ranch when I was a kid.  

No, no, no, no, no, NO!

Just ... no.

That is nightmare fuel.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What's intimidating about a 15-foot long elapid with enough neurotoxic venom to fill a shot glass?

No, no, no, no, no, NO!

Just ... no.

That is nightmare fuel.

I used to help grab them from the bluffs with my little grabber and sack.  Guess that's why I don't really have a fear of snakes.  I respect the crap out of them, and give them a wide berth, but don't mess with them anymore.  

Some older pics from a few years back.  Big thickies.  Snake.thumb.JPG.0eeb247f48584e3bfb3da063c950773e.JPGSnake2.thumb.JPG.47c3e71add0f95fc61df871462ec0af6.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Stepdads family is from Sweetwater. I went to this thing once as a teenager and got the fuck out. Scared the hell out of me then I learned that the conservation and other shit they spew is bs for the most part. At least 20 years ago it was not sure if anything changed. If I never go back to Sweetwater or Snyder I will die happy

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Those people have to be wearing kevlar longjohns, right?

Oh yeah.  Chain saw chaps mostly.  Most of the snakes were recently dumped into those pens were in sacks, so they're all confused and in shock.  We stopped allowing access on our land because it's really just a big snake slaughter.  Not my jam.  I get the venom milking argument, but you don't have to kill the snakes to get it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I see this and think, would be a bad time to trip.  Looks very stupid to me.

Also, is it BS that the venom milked from the snakes is used to make antivenin?  I've read that labs won't take it from roundups because it's contaminated.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I used to help grab them from the bluffs with my little grabber and sack.  Guess that's why I don't really have a fear of snakes.  I respect the crap out of them, and give them a wide berth, but don't mess with them anymore.

I don't have a general fear of snakes, but there's no way I'd step into a room with the entire floor covered with rattlers. 

Like you, I went through phases. Growing up, I'd kill just about anything that slithered. By the time I was a young man, I realized the irresponsibility of this practice and began to handle instead of hurt them.

These days, I leave them be unless one is stretched across a road or some other high-traffic area. This is more difficult than it sounds because picking up a rubber boa is super tempting. They are amazing creatures.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I see this and think, would be a bad time to trip.  Looks very stupid to me.

Also, is it BS that the venom milked from the snakes is used to make antivenin?  I've read that labs won't take it from roundups because it's contaminated.

Yeah, who knows?  I think rattlers are super cool and leave them alone as long as they reciprocate.  Cool looking animals!

Only snakes I have any animosity towards are cotton mouths.  F them.  Aggressive little monsters.  They also sun themselves in trees near creek banks and will drop down into the water or bank if/when scared to get away (when the banks are overgrown to sun themselves).

Will scare the ever living crap out of you...and they'll chase you.    

They also killed Newts friend from Ireland.....

lUgPqp.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They don’t chase you.

They aren’t even that aggressive. I rarely see them strike. They typically do their famous defensive posture of which gave them their name. Coiled up, mouth wide open.

What’s next, hoop snakes?

They're evil serpent monsters sent from the scourges of hell to torment man.  :)

And they killed Newts friend.....

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Only snakes I have any animosity towards are cotton mouths.  F them. 

Same.  We used to get them all over the barges after a hurricane would blow thru. They crawl up into the tire bumpers and onto the barge while docked thru the storm. For 2 fucking weeks offshore you’d still have those fuckers hiding, 50 miles offshore. They’d get aggressive out there on all that hot steel. Still hate them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

They don’t chase you.

They aren’t even that aggressive. I rarely see them strike. They typically do their famous defensive posture of which gave them their name. Coiled up, mouth wide open.

What’s next, hoop snakes?
https://m.twitch.tv/clip/GlamorousBadSageBrainSlug-xOsybPGqGMS_h6Bh

I dunno, this one could have easily just went back in the brush. I can't find the other streamers clip but it was a moccasin and he beat the fuck out of it when it came at them.

https://m.twitch.tv/clip/GlamorousBadSageBrainSlug-xOsybPGqGMS_h6Bh

I dunno, this one could have easily just went back in the brush. I can't find the other streamers clip but it was a moccasin and he beat the fuck out of it when it came at them.

Hold up. You think that proves cottonmouths chase people? You literally see nothing in that video. Yet herpetologists who spend their lives around snakes say the contrary. Give me a break.
  • Haha 1

I should also add I spent my youth all over the Neches and other rivers in southeast Texas as a kid so I've had first hand experience with moccasins not chasing but actively moving toward us. Most snakes either stay still or fuck off if you get around them but not those bastards. I remember distinctly watching one leave a bank and swim toward our boat to try and get on it, having to smack it with a paddle to get it to leave.

• Hook 'Em 1

I should also add I spent my youth all over the Neches and other rivers in southeast Texas as a kid so I've had first hand experience with moccasins not chasing but actively moving toward us. Most snakes either stay still or fuck off if you get around them but not those bastards. I remember distinctly watching one leave a bank and swim toward our boat to try and get on it, having to smack it with a paddle to get it to leave.

I have just as much anecdotal experience to the contrary. I grew up 2 blocks from a creek in Houston. I have caught and seen so man cottonmouths I don’t even know how to quantify it. Yet I have never, ever been chased by one. I have never heard or read an account from a herpetologist or biologist that has been chased. Go ahead, research it on the intertubes…you won’t find it.

A snake defending itself?? Sure. That is the basics of nature. But chase you? Fucking mythology bullshit.
  • Like 1

I don’t know shit about snakes, but did have a cotton mouth somewhat follow me from an empty vacant lot next to my house growing up when I was playing in that lot. Dad was doing yard work at the time nearby, saw it, and chopped it up with a shovel.

Dont think it was chasing me, but certainly moving towards me walking away from it when I hadn’t fucked with it or even seen it.

I was maybe 6 at the time and remember being completely freaked out about all the pieces moving around after being chopped up and clearly dead. Still kind of gives me the creeps to be honest.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all, please…I’m not trying to make y’all look dumb. But do a google search of cottonmouths chasing people. Please post legitimate research that shows the chase people. I’ll standby.

People are scared of sneks brah.  It's gonna happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m with you Swayze. The chase stories are bullshit. Now, I have had the experience of a wade fishing at the coast and while slowly working a top water, catch movement in my periphery.  Healthy rattlesnake bee lining in my direction. I’m like what the fuck? Gators, sting rays sharks, ok, but now I gotta add fucking rattlesnakes to that list? He went for my dough net and climbed on. Seems he was just tired and needed a rest.  I started to nudge him with my rod tip and he slowly slithered off and swam towards shore.

Maybe somebody would embellish such an experience and eventually someone ends up telling stories about a guy they know got chased by a rattlesnake while wade fishing. 

28 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I’m with you Swayze. The chase stories are bullshit. Now, I have had the experience of a wade fishing at the coast and while slowly working a top water, catch movement in my periphery.  Healthy rattlesnake bee lining in my direction. I’m like what the fuck? Gators, sting rays sharks, ok, but now I gotta add fucking rattlesnakes to that list? He went for my dough net and climbed on. Seems he was just tired and needed a rest.  I started to nudge him with my rod tip and he slowly slithered off and swam towards shore.

Maybe somebody would embellish such an experience and eventually someone ends up telling stories about a guy they know got chased by a rattlesnake while wade fishing. 

I’ve had this happen several times both wading and drifting in boat.  They are just looking for a spot to stop and rest.  Doesn’t make it feel any better in that moment though. 

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hold up. You think that proves cottonmouths chase people? You literally see nothing in that video. Yet herpetologists who spend their lives around snakes say the contrary. Give me a break.

Why would a guy who studies herpes know anything about this subject?

• Like 1

In 2016 we went to some park down in Sugar Land that was some sort of wildlife preserve. Can’t remember the name. It had a small pond on it. As we walked around the pond four snakes literally came at us from the water, swimming from the water to the edge, and then following us as we walked around the pond. One of them even exited the water and tried to follow us on land. It was bizarre as hell. Back then, I wasn’t good at ID’ing snakes like I am now, so they were either plain bellied water snakes or cottonmouths. Not sure which. 

In 2016 we went to some park down in Sugar Land that was some sort of wildlife preserve. Can’t remember the name. It had a small pond on it. As we walked around the pond four snakes literally came at us from the water, swimming from the water to the edge, and then following us as we walked around the pond. One of them even exited the water and tried to follow us on land. It was bizarre as hell. Back then, I wasn’t good at ID’ing snakes like I am now, so they were either plain bellied water snakes or cottonmouths. Not sure which. 

Cullinan Park most likely. And I would bet that they were hoping y’all were fishing and would get a free perch.
  • Like 1

Look I respek you guys that feel like all sneks should be free to roam the earth unmolested but if I see a cottonmouth or copperhead I’m dispatching those fuckers with all haste. Not sure why but that’s just how I feel. I bought a place in Sonora a few years ago and have seen a few rattlesnakes, cause they live there you know. I probably won’t dispatch one unless it’s a me or snek situation. But moccasins and copperheads, fuck em.

Coral snakes are beautiful and I would never kill one.

• Like 1