Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

  

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:


That and not interested in getting cut by rusty tin that I am pulling up to find these snakes. Not worried about the snakes biting me.

So far today I struck out on speckled kings. I think I will try at night after the rain. I did see a broad banded watersnake, but he wasn’t that colorful so I just let him be. About to go looking for hognose. With my luck lately, I doubt I’ll see one.

 

My best king is a four foot Cali king when I was visiting a friend in Palos Verdes. I have a 3+ right now. She's as sweet as can be, unless you are a lizard, snake, bird or rodent.

Edited by 4th and 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  
 
My best king is a four foot Cali king when I was visiting a friend in Palos Verdes. I have a 3+ right now. She's as sweet as can be, unless you are a lizard, snake, bird or rodent.

I’ve never owned myself and won’t take one from the wild, but lately I have been thinking about getting a king or milk as a pet. I think my daughters would get a kick out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Anytime I find a snake under some shit I’m to busy having a heart attack to catch it. I’m usually more concerned with it catching me.

Very hard to get bitten when you've jumped about 8' straight up into the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:


I’ve never owned myself and won’t take one from the wild, but lately I have been thinking about getting a king or milk as a pet. I think my daughters would get a kick out of it.

Mine is not from the wild. I’ve had her since she was a baby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This was the third one my daughter and I saw on a seven mile stretch of road yesterday.  Anyone know what it is? 
20200518-111945.jpg

Hat band?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, Burt said:

The one I just posted above got backed over by me and you could hear a loud pop followed by a lot of pissed of rattling as he tried to drag his guts off the road.  No way he survived.

 

 

Christ dude.  Afraid it was gonna bite your car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1. 4 vials of copperhead antivenin must be expensive because it is rarely given and not much of it is out there.  

2. Don’t step on copperheads.

 

3. The New York Post knows the difference between venomous and poisonous, I expect a forum full of college educated folks to know the difference as well.

 

 

According to this bite incident in Indiana, a vial costs $17k (possibly inflated price).

 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/try-not-to-get-bitten-by-a-snake-it-could-cost-you-143000/%3famp=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Never trust snakes or snake handlers. They are both evil!

But what about snake oil salesmen? They seem totally on the up and up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

1. 4 vials of copperhead antivenin must be expensive because it is rarely given and not much of it is out there.  

2. Don’t step on copperheads.

 

3. The New York Post knows the difference between venomous and poisonous, I expect a forum full of college educated folks to know the difference as well.

 

 

According to this bite incident in Indiana, a vial costs $17k (possibly inflated price).

 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/try-not-to-get-bitten-by-a-snake-it-could-cost-you-143000/%3famp=1

Fucking hospitals.  The real fuckers in the healthcare system.  https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/crofab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Mine is not from the wild. I’ve had her since she was a baby. 

I’ve had my Ball Python since I was 12. He’s awesome and sweet as can be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Why is it called antivenin?

Antivenin and antivenom are synonyms. 

If anyone is even slightly curious about poisonous snakes and antivenom, I highly recommend that you listen to The Texas Standard podcast from February 26, 2020.  The whole series is wonderful, but this one in particular is outstanding.  And it's only a couple minutes long.  Below is a link to the website that has what appears to be a transcript of the podcast.  

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/dont-mess-with-texas-coral-snakes/

Side note: will one of you important assholes please make a call and get someone to make a batch of Coral snake antivenom? Because apparently, we are fresh out.  Seriously, what the actual fuck that we don't have anymore Coral snake antivenom because it's not profitable to make...I know we've got a lot of other issues right now as a nation, but can't some congressman sneak a grant in to manufacture Coral snake antivenom in the next round of stimulus?  Next door neighbor found a coral snake in the kids' playhouse a couple weeks ago, for fucks sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine when I was growing up had a California Kingsnake and a Corn Snake.  I never really put much thought into owning one before, but now I am considering it.  This wouldn't be for a little while as the job situation is not good, but doing a bit of research.  The two I am looking at are the Grey Banded Kingsnake and the Honduran Milk Snake.  The problem with the Grey banded is availability and also the fact that you need to get them used to eating mice rather than lizards.  But I like that they are a Texas snake and really one of the more stunning looking snakes.  Both are amazing looking and have very docile temperaments like other Kingsnakes.  We will see.

Grey Banded Kingsnake:

spacer.png

Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are badass. What are the legalities of owning them in Texas? I posted before that it’s illegal to handle much less own a wild snake in Georgia. I guess I was an outlaw when I kept a king for a couple months in high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Those are badass. What are the legalities of owning them in Texas? I posted before that it’s illegal to handle much less own a wild snake in Georgia. I guess I was an outlaw when I kept a king for a couple months in high school.

I think you have to have a license in Texas to collect or possess wild snakes.  I'm not sure that is actually true.  I did learn that there is a reptile/amphibian endorsement that can be added to a Texas Hunting License, though.  It's not included on my Super Combo, but I might add it next year - even if just to see the reaction of the Academy lady when I ask for it.

Reptile and Amphibian Endorsement
$10 (Item 178)
Required for any person to capture indigenous reptiles or amphibians on the shoulder of a public road or any unpaved area of a public right of way.
Edited by Jerry Callo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that in order to legally collect snakes, you need a license. Some snakes are protected, like the Indigo (which homesick mentioned). Those I don’t think you are even supposed to pick up.

Owning a kingsnake, and most other snakes, is perfectly legal in Texas.

Today I went to Galveston hoping for a rattlesnake or Speckled Kingsnake. No such luck. I did catch two Coachwhips which is always cool. The second one was 4.5’ at least and great coloring. But he was still in shed and I didn’t feel like dressing him out for shots I wouldn’t be happy with.

vWjzDQpc_o.jpeg

wOpPflV2_o.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give you shit, but I respect your love of evilness.

Growing up, the old folks told us that coachwhips would chase you. And that you had to run in a zig zag to getaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I give you shit, but I respect your love of evilness.

Growing up, the old folks told us that coachwhips would chase you. And that you had to run in a zig zag to getaway.

Hahaha. Maybe I am the evil?

Coachwhip definitely isn’t chasing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this guy when I was taking the dog for a walk. Thought maybe a baby rat snake but he's not aggressive at all. Not a common grass snake, or at least I've never seen one with these markings. Any idea what it is? e8483408864aada5541ccefa3012664f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Found this guy when I was taking the dog for a walk. Thought maybe a baby rat snake but he's not aggressive at all. Not a common grass snake, or at least I've never seen one with these markings. Any idea what it is? e8483408864aada5541ccefa3012664f.jpg

Dekays Brown snake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Similar to a Garter Snek no? Very chill, likes to eat bugs. Good for the garden. 

Definitely. Plus they don’t get big enough that a bite from one would be much more painful than a pinch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Similar to a Garter Snek no? Very chill, likes to eat bugs. Good for the garden. 

Slug and snail eaters - great for the garden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am at the ranch and last night I was walking through camp to throw some meat on the grill when I walked right by a rattler. Never saw it and thank god it started to rattle because I jumped far enough to not get hit. It was maybe 2ft from me when I heard it. It was right by the cooker and out in the open but still completely hidden. I killed it, skinned it, ate it and have no ragrets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am at the ranch and last night I was walking through camp to throw some meat on the grill when I walked right by a rattler. Never saw it and thank god it started to rattle because I jumped far enough to not get hit. It was maybe 2ft from me when I heard it. It was right by the cooker and out in the open but still completely hidden. I killed it, skinned it, ate it and have no ragrets.

If you ate it, you now have the snake spirit in you.....and the taste like chicken spirit too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's funny you say that.  I live out in Driftwood and have seen a few in the 8 years we've been out here.  But 3 days ago one slithered right past my dog's foot and into the brush as he was taking a shit (the dog, not the snake).  Couldn't have been more than 3 feet from me and I didn't notice it until it moved.  Then within 48 hours, there were 2 posts on Nextdoor of coral snakes in people's yards.  Dumbasses killed them.  That of course incited a pissing match.
Playing golf at Shadow Glen in Manor last summer, my buddy goes to take a leak in the trees at one of the tee boxes and a coral snake starts slithering around. Thing was really well camouflaged. I went to look after the fact and he had to point it out to me.

Just that scared me a little. I'd probably have fear sharted if I was my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you ate it, you now have the snake spirit in you.....and the taste like chicken spirit too.

I am going to try and make a hat band out of the skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riding the mountain bike at the ranch in Llano today and had a 3.5-4' snake dart out of the grass between the tire tracks on one of the fence line roads and haul ass straight down the road in front of me. It was kind of a mottled grey with maybe a little blue tint and a tan or yellow belly. It was fast as fuck and was able to pull away from me and I was riding a mountain bike. My FIL, who grew up out there called it a "white racer". I figure it had to be a racer of some sort, or maybe some variation of a coachwhip, but I can't find anything online. Long skinny snake with a very small head. I figure one of you assholes will know what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 8:12 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

I am at the ranch and last night I was walking through camp to throw some meat on the grill when I walked right by a rattler. Never saw it and thank god it started to rattle because I jumped far enough to not get hit. It was maybe 2ft from me when I heard it. It was right by the cooker and out in the open but still completely hidden. I killed it, skinned it, ate it and have no ragrets.

This the season. My fiance was about 6in from stepping on a juvenile copperhead today at the park. It was going in the opposite direction, but she never saw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riding the mountain bike at the ranch in Llano today and had a 3.5-4' snake dart out of the grass between the tire tracks on one of the fence line roads and haul ass straight down the road in front of me. It was kind of a mottled grey with maybe a little blue tint and a tan or yellow belly. It was fast as fuck and was able to pull away from me and I was riding a mountain bike. My FIL, who grew up out there called it a "white racer". I figure it had to be a racer of some sort, or maybe some variation of a coachwhip, but I can't find anything online. Long skinny snake with a very small head. I figure one of you assholes will know what it is. 

I would guess it was a coachwhip. Their colors vary quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went back to the spot where I lost the Kingsnake the other day. Figured there would be a good chance because of all the rain. I am glad I went. I found my first ringneck. These are rare in Harris county. I also found the speckled king. He is at the very beginning of shedding so his eyes were cloudy. I saw the racer from the other day and a ribbon. So 4 species within 25 yards of each other.

HcyleDt0_o.jpeg

H8kWWeSA_o.jpeg

DEY7QwjD_o.jpeg

uFdYIHRf_o.jpeg

NYvFdXEQ_o.jpeg

0R5XVaiy_o.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

A friend of mine when I was growing up had a California Kingsnake and a Corn Snake.  I never really put much thought into owning one before, but now I am considering it.  This wouldn't be for a little while as the job situation is not good, but doing a bit of research.  The two I am looking at are the Grey Banded Kingsnake and the Honduran Milk Snake.  The problem with the Grey banded is availability and also the fact that you need to get them used to eating mice rather than lizards.  But I like that they are a Texas snake and really one of the more stunning looking snakes.  Both are amazing looking and have very docile temperaments like other Kingsnakes.  We will see.

Grey Banded Kingsnake:

spacer.png

Had a HMS for a while as a teen. My sister stole it from a pet store and eventually returned it. Gorgeous and very friendly. Seemingly everyone assumed it was a coral snake, which was usually good for a laugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

My understanding is that in order to legally collect snakes, you need a license. Some snakes are protected, like the Indigo (which homesick mentioned). Those I don’t think you are even supposed to pick up.

Owning a kingsnake, and most other snakes, is perfectly legal in Texas.

Today I went to Galveston hoping for a rattlesnake or Speckled Kingsnake. No such luck. I did catch two Coachwhips which is always cool. The second one was 4.5’ at least and great coloring. But he was still in shed and I didn’t feel like dressing him out for shots I wouldn’t be happy with.

vWjzDQpc_o.jpeg

wOpPflV2_o.jpeg

Would love to follow along with you next time you're hunting down in Galveston.  Do you mind if amateurs tag along with you?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Would love to follow along with you next time you're hunting down in Galveston.  Do you mind if amateurs tag along with you?  

I am far from a pro. In fact, the guys that help me with this stuff are probably sick of my stupid questions. But no, I don’t mind. I very rarely go to Galveston. Might not try again until the fall.

 

I flipped the largest hognose I have ever seen just off Cypresswood in Spring this morning. He put on a big show, huffing and puffing. Then shat himself. Haha.

 

pmgs0VLf_o.jpeg

 

Then saw this dead juvenile copperhead in a park.

 

2ZQec7wo_o.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you can own tigers in Texas so I guess I’m not surprised wild snakes are mostly fair game.

Found this teeny tiny guy in the pool over the weekend. No idea what he was. Back to the bushes he went.

3a5144f8961c2b0a4eab427fd0188b77.jpg

734e1a870d2fa88d40cbe428506d9c1f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I found my first ringneck. These are rare in Harris county. I also found the speckled king. He is at the very beginning of shedding so his eyes were cloudy. I saw the racer from the other day and a ribbon. So 4 species within 25 yards of each other.

Awesome pics, Patricio. And many thanks for satisfying my request.

With luck, you'll stumble upon that speck again in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awesome pics, Patricio. And many thanks for satisfying my request.
With luck, you'll stumble upon that speck again in the near future.

Thanks.

Yeah, I will probably check in on him in the fall to see how much he has grown. Hopefully he will still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Pops took this flick of me holding this massive ratsnake I found today. Names him Big Tex. About to shed, but still nice color showing. He was docile but strong as hell.

Ekg8Om1O_o.jpeg

As we were cruising around the Katy Prairie looking for birds, we found this juvenile cottonmouth.

LBfqp35w_o.jpeg

BBlpgZNI_o.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those cottonmouths they're like the full backs of the snake world, stocky, and a bit on the plump, stout side.  Not a very graceful looking snake IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do their colors fade as they age?

I don’t think I can answer that with confidence. However, I think there are different morphs as I have seen adults with similar patterns (usually not as bold, so maybe you have a point). Even the black ones have a pattern that is tough to see. I got less than 2’ from this without it striking from me. It didn’t chase me. It didn’t strike. Just like all the other cottonmouths I have come across. It did it’s typical open mouth display, but that is it. I moved it off the road and it swam across the ditch into the brush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Do their colors fade as they age?

They usually get darker and the pattern becomes less discernable. Also, sometimes they can be very dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...