All Things Brisket

kevwun

Foil's fine.  You can always unwrap a bit after the stall to firm up the bark.

And unless I'm really pressed for time, I don't wrap at all.  I will put a bit of foil over the thin end of the flat to protect it from getting overcooked.  You know, just the tip.

I'm doing pork spare ribs today, and brisket tomorrow.  

On 3/25/2020 at 9:34 PM, dcbc said:

Definitely not the best brisket I've ever bought, but it was one of my stocking up grabs a few weeks ago, and it's going on overnight tonight.  Took a pretty good amount of trimming.  Love paying for extra fat. 

x-YXOo-Bf-FJ3-DVs-VDya-Bsy9n-NU5gm-M94-I

Vic?  That you?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, Chewbacca said:

How long does a brisket cook take if you go Franklin style at 275* (approximately)?  Have a 14# packer that is going to get cooked in the next day or two, but I'm not sure I want to do the overnight cook.  Would rather just get up early and get it on in the morning.

I primarily do pulled pork and baby backs, so I'm an experienced smoker but haven't done all that many briskets and they've all been done around 225*.

45 minutes to an hour per pound.  Be sure and monitor internal temperature if possible.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

So, the brisket was too large to fit into my Masterbilt smoker.  Sacrilege probably but I had to cut a pretty good chunk of the flat off.  The plan now is to make burnt ends out of that portion.

Reminds me of:

Just let me go ahead and flip this here omelette...aaaaand we’re having scrambled eggs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

No big deal. It shrinks quite a bit during the cook, so you may only need it for part of the way next time if you do try it.

I’ve never done it myself as mine takes the length.

Like a hotdog down a hallway.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, VABuckeye said:

So, the brisket was too large to fit into my Masterbilt smoker.  Sacrilege probably but I had to cut a pretty good chunk of the flat off.  The plan now is to make burnt ends out of that portion.

This is where you fucked up. The plan should have been a new smoker. 

Last slice from the 2 primes I did over the weekend. Forgot to take more money shots. Only had a video.

Costco selection was kinda weak. Looked like they fell off a truck beatem up and truck backed up over the flat.

The Mrs and I delivered plates to other friends in the area. Doing another round this weekend to others.

1e7177342506b10ce9ee0ddefc20256b.png

e6eb21b2a64cf29299b8baa4986d8f4b.plist

07dc4fdf0c090419d11e874e3daac9a6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

So here's the results from the massive stall episode I posted about the other day. It turned out pretty good although I think smoking at at a higher temp from the get-go will render more of that collagen down as it was just a little bit rubbery. I had it in the 225-230 range for about 9 hours total in the kamado and around 6 of that it was stalled out at 153 degrees. Once I moved it to the oven the temp started moving pretty quickly and about 2.5 hours later I was at 205 and pulled it to rest, towel wrap and cooler it. As my first brisket smoke ever I think it was a success but lessons were learned. 

XS6Bdg8.jpg

RyH5uw1.jpg

VTrWn0h.jpg

P7bj8n2.jpg

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Like 1

Yeah my smoker temp never really fluctuated all that much either. I was reading some bbq forums and it sounded like while uncommon, it wasn't unheard of. At the 6 hour mark I knew something was off so that's when I made my post here. After that, I threw it in the oven at 250 and it started to rise again. Next time I'll start at 275 like others have mentioned and see how that goes.

I was on team no-wrap for a while.  I think on average, it saves about an hour or so on time in my case, and you definitely lose a little  internal temp taking the brisket off the pit to wrap it in butcher paper.  But the reason I have gone back is that the end of the flat was drying out too much for my taste.  My usual MO is to get it on at about 9 p.m., let it run all night (I smoke at 238, which is what my WSM likes).  Go to bed once everything is rocking along.  Wake up before 9 the next morning and it's probably time to wrap or it's at 170 or so.  The end product is way more consistent for me.

I use a Fireboard paired with BBQ Guru fan for temperature control on my kamado.  Thermapen MK4 for instant read thermometer.  Extremely pleased with all.

I have an old cyber-q that I haven’t ever hooked up to WiFi.

What is the benefit of having Fireboard and a guru? Remote control? I figure the Cyber-q does the same?

Also for whoever was asking, Jerry’s setup is the tits. I also have a Thermapen for instant temp checking.
  • Like 1

I was on team no-wrap for a while.  I think on average, it saves about an hour or so on time in my case, and you definitely lose a little  internal temp taking the brisket off the pit to wrap it in butcher paper.  But the reason I have gone back is that the end of the flat was drying out too much for my taste.  My usual MO is to get it on at about 9 p.m., let it run all night (I smoke at 238, which is what my WSM likes).  Go to bed once everything is rocking along.  Wake up before 9 the next morning and it's probably time to wrap or it's at 170 or so.  The end product is way more consistent for me.

My last couple of cooks I’ve put the brisket on before bed (9-11 or so) and by 8 the next morning it’s already done.

Smoking at 225. No wrap. Prime grade.

Not sure why it cooks so fast but no stall.

I'm out of the smoking game, but I've recently done all of this homework and can save you the trouble.  You need:
One of these...
https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
And one of these...
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

The smoke looks nice. A little pricier than the guru.

Keep in mind that both companies’ probes are proprietary so replacing them means you have to get them from them.

I had wanted to replace my guru probes with Thermoworks but they are not compatible.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

I have an old cyber-q that I haven’t ever hooked up to WiFi.

What is the benefit of having Fireboard and a guru? Remote control? I figure the Cyber-q does the same?

Also for whoever was asking, Jerry’s setup is the tits. I also have a Thermapen for instant temp checking.

Fireboard has six temperature probes which allowed me to do 2 turkeys at a time (one on gas grill and the other on kamado).  Fireboard also controls the BBQ Guru fan on my kamado at the same time.  The Fireboard app allows remote temperature control and alarms for all 6 probes.  Probably overkill, but what the hell.

• Like 1

As predicted...  too dry.  Good flavor.  I think if I hadn't trimmed all the fat off it would have been better.

Sliced it and diced some up.  It won't go to waste.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

https://i.imgur.com/Q1odfwi.jpg

Edited by Loco
imgur sucks

21 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I'm out of the smoking game, but I've recently done all of this homework and can save you the trouble.  You need:

One of these...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

And one of these...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Also heard adding this...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway

and this...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows

...takes it to 11, but I never got to that level.

As predicted...  too dry.  Good flavor.  I think if I hadn't trimmed all the fat off it would have been better.
Sliced it and diced some up.  It won't go to waste.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

https://i.imgur.com/Q1odfwi.jpg

Nice Tenderquick ring.

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Nice Tenderquick ring.

Used the pink salt per the recipe.  I don't think it adds anything at all.  Some of the best Q I have ever eaten didn't have a smoke ring.  But the Serious Eats recipes are usually pretty damned good so I followed it...  except for the whole trimming off all the fat thing... which was stupid on my part.

Posted this on the WSM thread, because I used an 18.5"er, but thought that I would post here in case some people don't click on WSM threads.

So a week or so ago I was getting toilet paper for my mom and happened by the meats area of a Walmart and saw this.

IMG-9374.jpg

I have a WSM that can't take the length, so I had to do this.

IMG-9379.jpg

Leaving this much fat behind. (Can of black-eyes peas for scale.)

IMG-9381.jpg

I put course black pepper and coarse salt that I muled back from Argentina (because coarse kosher salt doesn't exist in the US) and then slapped it onto a WSM that needed mods after getting roughed up in last October's Dallas tornado. I didn't use a thermometer, but checked it after about 8 hours at 225F and it needed a lot more time, so ultimately left it on about 12 hours or so.

Removed the top cut...

IMG-9389.jpg

...and left the bottom for about 30 more minutes. (View with cataracts.)

IMG-9390.jpg

Bottom cut in focus and on a cutting board.

IMG-9392.jpg

Black on the outside, and yet so moist and pink on the inside.

IMG-9396.jpg

...so there's that.

• Like 2

Thoughts on time and temp for a smaller brisket (4.5 lbs)?  Wife comes home from Bristol Farms all excited that she got a brisket on sale for $11/lb.   Me:

230114_908223010.jpg

Anyway, trimmed and ready, but I prefer a long slow cook.  If I toss it on tonight at 225 (electric smoker so temp will stay consistent- deal with it), is 18 hours too long?  

21104472b66bc199bec4707002c4ef7e.jpg

Thoughts on time and temp for a smaller brisket (4.5 lbs)?  Wife comes home from Bristol Farms all excited that she got a brisket on sale for $11/lb.   Me:
230114_908223010.jpg
Anyway, trimmed and ready, but I prefer a long slow cook.  If I toss it on tonight at 225 (electric smoker so temp will stay consistent- deal with it), is 18 hours too long?  

8 hours MAX, prob more like 6 or 7. Got a temp probe? Just keep an eye on it starting at around hour 5 and start tender probe testing around 190 or so.

230114_908223010.jpg

8 hours MAX, prob more like 6 or 7. Got a temp probe? Just keep an eye on it starting at around hour 5 and start tender probe testing around 190 or so.

230114_908223010.jpg