Ingram should starts

EvilCaseMcCoy

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 8:27 AM, TexasTroll said:

To be honest

i don’t really remember much of Jamaal, until he hit the nfl.

was he overshadowed by another running back??

( sorry.   Booze n time...)

i’ll shut up and listen....

Damn you must be consuming the booze by the truckload.

• Like 1

Jamaal was great on the 40.  For me the forgettable guy was Ramonce.  My memories of him were never performance on the field , but only about the recruiting hype surrounding him, and the tremendous fucking up he did off the field. 

Couldn't name a game, out of recollection, where he impressed

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Jamaal was great on the 40.  For me the forgettable guy was Ramonce.  My memories of him were never performance on the field , but only about the recruiting hype surrounding him, and the tremendous fucking up he did off the field. 

I mean, really?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Good Lord! Big TD vs OU along with the huge OSU and tOSU highlights. The dude could ball. One of the most electric players ever to don the burnt orange. Just wish he had his head on straight at the time. 

Those videos of Ramonce Taylor remind me of when we used to have burner speed. I don’t know if this team doesn’t have speed or the plays are not designed to exploit speed or what. This season did we have a single play where the ball carrier was off to the races?

26 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Those videos of Ramonce Taylor remind me of when we used to have burner speed. I don’t know if this team doesn’t have speed or the plays are not designed to exploit speed or what. This season did we have a single play where the ball carrier was off to the races?

We don't have that kind of speed, generally. That's why Tom has made a point to recruit it, and he's talked about it in press conferences.

Speed kills, strength punishes. Right now they are squeezing the ball and punishing teams - ends up being too many close games, but we can score in the clutch because we've punished the defense the whole game. 

It would be nice to have both, but there's something to be said about possession of the ball against high powered offenses. 

11 hours ago, XYZ said:

at one point a couple games ago, we were one of two power 5 teams without a 50 yard play from scrimmage (rutgers).  have we still not had one?

On 11/15/2018 at 8:02 PM, 52-80 said:

You don’t remember one of the most electric players from our last championship season?!?!?

Do you remember in 2004 being down 35-7 to OSU at DKR and some freshman unknown to many fans named “Romance” took a reverse about 60 yards for a TD? Yeah that was cool. 

He also scored a nice TD in the national championship game, but we probably didn’t need those points anyway:...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

You don’t remember one of the most electric players from our last championship season?!?!?

I remember that team had weapons in sweed, Vince, David Thomas, Shipley, Pittman, Jamaal, etc

The guy literally had more than 5 carries in 5 games his whole career.  He was less used than Fat Melton from 13 years ago...don't see why it's crazy that I can't pick his face out of a police lineup

I remember that team had weapons in sweed, Vince, David Thomas, Shipley, Pittman, Jamaal, etc

The guy literally had more than 5 carries in 5 games his whole career.  He was less used than Fat Melton from 13 years ago...don't see why it's crazy that I can't pick his face out of a police lineup

Shipley? In 05? Wasn’t he hurt? The others were definitely legit, but RT was very well known as one of the fastest guys on the team who could house it from anywhere. Hell the stats above show he scored on more than 10% of his runs. Maybe I remember so well because I was in school at the time, but it’s hard to imagine forgetting RT. He did get kicked off the team and out of school for having a bunch of weed in a backpack, which cut his career short and reduced his stats.

CSB: I was at that 04 OSU game, Ced and RT went off, and I didn’t hear the stadium that loud again until the Mizzou ‘08 game. Epic comeback.

Doubling down? Taylor scored 15 touchdowns that year and was the full-time kick returner. And you misremembered Shipley playing on that team.

Maybe this helps: Taylor infamously called the police on himself when he was carrying weed.
  • Like 1

We should use Duvernay like Ramonce.  Nobody can stop him in single coverage.
Duvernay can't move like Romance.

We should use Duvernay to take shots down the field.

We should not run reverses ever. We can't block them for shit, and we aren't devastating enough running in any given direction that the defense has to sellout in that direction and abandon fundamental backside contain.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Duvernay can't move like Romance.

We should use Duvernay to take shots down the field.

We should not run reverses ever. We can't block them for shit, and we aren't devastating enough running in any given direction that the defense has to sellout in that direction and abandon fundamental backside contain.

Este. We haven't run a successful reverse or hell even a jet sweep in two years it seems. 

On 11/15/2018 at 7:02 PM, 52-80 said:

Please watch and get back with us on your statement.  Dude you need a memory refresh.

https://youtu.be/4STT5jIE1O4

10 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Um... Maybe you didn't watch when Texas played ousux. We scored our first TD on a jet sweep.

I think we had a reserve pass that was a TD and a couple of other similar success but yes, mostly we suck badly at reverses.

I'm not counting throwing out of the reverse, just the runs. So we've had exactly one successful jet sweep out of the dozen or so sweeps or reverses we've run. Thanks for making my point in the surliest of ways. 

• 1 month later...

Texas RB Keaontay Ingram has big offseason goals for the weight room and film room

In Keaontay Ingram’s typical low-key, self-effacing manner, the Texas Longhorns running back was critical of himself in the moments after the Sugar Bowl victory over the Georgia Bulldogs earlier this month.

“In my opinion, I don’t feel I did as good as I should have,” Ingram said, according to Inside Texas. “I could have brought way more to the table. I just have got to go through the offseason, correct those, and get ready for next season.”

Ingram finished the season as the team’s second-leading rusher, behind graduate transfer Tre Watson, with 708 yards and three touchdowns on 142 carries. At times, he was spectacular, showing off a slide cut that brought back memories of Longhorn legend Jamaal Charles, the star from a decade ago who could narrow his hips in traffic to avoid presenting a tackling surface to defenders.

Against Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, Ingram showed off the future of the Texas running game, following an excellent block by redshirt freshman right tackle Sam Cosmi and then finding the edge for a big gain.

Despite Ingram’s successes, however, his assessment of his play against Georgia was correct and applicable to many of his late-season performances — after a 110-yard performance against Baylor, Ingram struggled in three of his final six games. Against West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Georgia, the freshman carried the ball 25 times for 62 yards, an average of 2.4 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, Watson was hitting his stride, turning in his best performances of the season, especially agains the Bulldogs, when he carried the ball 18 times for 91 yards and showed a combination of tackle-breaking ability, vision, and decisiveness. Ingram wasn’t able to match that success against the same defense, gaining only 25 yards on nine carries.

Injuries likely played some role in Ingram’s declining productivity late in the season, as he battled a hip pointer throughout the season and suffered a deep bone bruise in his knee against Tulsa. As a result, he missed the USC game and received eight carries in limited playing time the next week against TCU.

“We got to be careful also, he’s a guy that got here in June and he’s played a lot of football, a lot of wear and tear on his body already, having won all the state championships that he won at Carthage and being kind of the work horse for them, too,” head coach Tom Herman said in October.

In fact, Ingram had played the equivalent of two extra seasons of high school football thanks to the deep runs Carthage made into the playoffs each season as he accumulated more than 700 touches in his high school career. In other words, Ingram didn’t arrive with the same type of fresh legs that should help 2019 signee Derrian Brown, who only became a starter as a senior.

Perhaps advanced scouting played a role in Ingram’s decline in productivity, too, as opponents began to recognize his desire to bounce plays outside and then use that slide cut to set up defenders outside before gliding back inside.

Inconsistent vision seemed to be the largest factor — where Watson was able to quickly find running lanes and burst through them at full speed to finish runs with authority, Ingram often spent too much time dancing in the backfield or leaving yards on the field looking for big plays instead of maximizing the gains available to him.

So spending an offseason working with running backs coach Stan Drayton, known as one of the best in the business at developing players at that position, could pay big dividends for Ingram. Just take it from former Ohio State standout Ezekiel Elliott, now one of the NFL’s top ball-carriers with the Cowboys.

“He was hard on me since I got on campus and he’s really the biggest reason why I’m here today and I’m the back I am today,” Elliott said in 2016. “He made sure when I learned this position that I learned it thoroughly, that I learned not just what I do but what the guys around me do. That made me understand the game so much better. He taught me how to anticipate instead of just going off of reactions and going off of instincts. That made me play faster and made me into a great player.”

Seeing the big picture — from the blocking scheme of the offensive line to the defensive front — is exactly where Ingram needs to improve during the offseason to mold the best parts of his game with the attributes that Watson showed at the end of his brief Texas career.

Gaining weight, one of Ingram’s top goals, should help the Carthage product be more durable, break more tackles, and move more piles at the end of runs, too. Listed at 205 pounds on his 6’0 frame, Ingram wants to gain 15 or 20 pounds over the coming months working under strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight. As a summer enrollee, Ingram only had about two months to work with McKnight in 2018 before the start of preseason camp.

With a full offseason on the Forty Acres, those gains seem attainable as Ingram prepares to become the feature back following a season in which the coaching staff carefully managed his carries.

“I think you’ll see the big jump from a physical development once Yancy [McKnight] gets his hand on him for nine months,” Herman said.

With several of the conference’s top running backs departing early for the NFL, the hope is that Ingram can use those offseason gains in the weight room and the film room to become of the Big 12’s best backs.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/1/16/18185951/keaontay-ingram-weight-gain-offseason-texas-longhorns-football

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...