Cord Cutters Thread

Just got an email that as of dec 1 I was 75% through my data cap of 1.25tb that expires on dec 6. All my TV is streaming (YTTV) and I have a 13 yo who streams a lot of shit. Been working from home and have lots of zoom and often CNBC going in the background.

Does that sound right?

Just got an email that as of dec 1 I was 75% through my data cap of 1.25tb that expires on dec 6. All my TV is streaming (YTTV) and I have a 13 yo who streams a lot of shit. Been working from home and have lots of zoom and often CNBC going in the background.

Does that sound right?

I've only got 3.5 days of data from the new router to extroplate, but so far, it looks like my main streaming device, NVIDIA Shield Android TV, may be eating over half the monthly 1.2T, but too soon to tell. Three high schoolers on chromebooks with 3 or 4 Zoom classes 4 days a week use about 1.3G a day (only one day of data on that but consistent across the 3). A kid downloaded Assassin's Creed on the Xbox last night. 48Gb!

I don't see any awful actors in the background yet. I had read that video doorbells, Amazon tablets, and iPhones suck up a whole lot of background data when you're offline. I have not seen that yet although I haven't put the work iPhone on the Wi-Fi yet. #teamandroid

See if your router allows you to watch device level utilization real time and, if so, you can throttle at the device level. If not, go buy a router that does.

I had to throttle all of my kids phones and TVs. They couldn’t tell the difference at all, but their phones stopped downloading the highest quality video streams when it didn’t matter on a 6” screen.

Before throttling, I would regularly see 10+ Mbps on their devices, which I then throttled to 3 Mbps.

For just myself with a handful of videos calls per day for work, and streaming TV/movies at night, I can Xfinity is showing 650GB per month. I have no idea if that is accurate and I don't care since my limit is 1.2TB.

From talking with my friends, they mention how their kids can be watching a movie on their laptop, video chatting with a friend on the ipad and scrolling through tiktok on the phone. all at once.

more people are going to need to get their own antenna again for local stations. that, or stop watching dancing with the stars.

You’re right, and that’s what we do. But it’s really only for local news. Still have access to the ABC app and all shows through ATT, so I think ultimately Tegna has to blink. Interesting the right now, the Austin ABC affiliate is battling ATT, NBC affiliate battling Direct TV and CBS affiliate fighting Hulu.. local stations need ad revenue which relies on eyeballs. If I’m watching shows mainly via the network app those guys are screwed.

You’re right, and that’s what we do. But it’s really only for local news. Still have access to the ABC app and all shows through ATT, so I think ultimately Tegna has to blink. Interesting the right now, the Austin ABC affiliate is battling ATT, NBC affiliate battling Direct TV and CBS affiliate fighting Hulu.. local stations need ad revenue which relies on eyeballs. If I’m watching shows mainly via the network app those guys are screwed.
Im on YTTV, but how do you toggle from that to an antenna? Physical switch on your TV? We have 3 tvs we watch, that seems like a lot of cable to run and a big PITA. But, maybe not.

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Godzillatron said:

Read more  

Im on YTTV, but how do you toggle from that to an antenna? Physical switch on your TV? We have 3 tvs we watch, that seems like a lot of cable to run and a big PITA. But, maybe not.

Switch the tv to whatever input the antenna is plugged into. Or you can get and hd homerun and plug it into that and hook it up to your network and use their apps to get the channels over your home network. I think it integrates with google TV's live channels app as well.  

Switch the tv to whatever input the antenna is plugged into. Or you can get and hd homerun and plug it into that and hook it up to your network and use their apps to get the channels over your home network. I think it integrates with google TV's live channels app as well.  
Oh damnit I forgot about source change to air tv.

Its been a long time since I thought about that.

Netflix raising prices yet again...I think it's reached the point I need to turn it off/on based on when I think I'm going to watch something

We’re updating our prices to bring you more great entertainment. Your monthly price will increase by $2 to $17.99 on January 5, 2021.
This update will allow us to deliver even more value for your membership — with stories that lift you up, move you or simply make your day a little better.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Is Apple TV my best bet for my olderish parents, as opposed to Fire, Roku or Google? They have a few apps that aren't on their smart tv that they want. I use Fire and Google, so I can easily show them that, but is Apple more elderly friendly? They aren't too bad. Yet 

+1 for Roku... in particular, smart TV with roku embedded. 

Looks they just rolled out all of their free channels in a cable-like guide that you can view from the “Live TV” channel on the normal home screen... 

If you have an HDTV antenna connected to your Roku TV, you can use Live TV Channel Guide to browse both live streaming content and "over-the-air" programs broadcasting in your area. With Live TV Channel Guide, your TV listings are combined into a single channel grid, letting you quickly find your favorite free, live TV.”

https://support.roku.com/article/115012658287

(and if you, son/daughter, still have a directv or other pay subscription, you can give the parents your password to access various pay channels) 

On 12/5/2020 at 7:27 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Netflix raising prices yet again...I think it's reached the point I need to turn it off/on based on when I think I'm going to watch something

We’re updating our prices to bring you more great entertainment. Your monthly price will increase by $2 to $17.99 on January 5, 2021.
This update will allow us to deliver even more value for your membership — with stories that lift you up, move you or simply make your day a little better.

I'm going back to standard HD instead of 4k. I don't think I'm goin to notice the difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

FYI, looks like YTTV is giving away a Chromecast with Google TV to existing subscribers.  Got the below email earlier and ordered, no charge.  I already have one and really like it so will either give this one away as gift or maybe use it in another room.

yttv-gtv.thumb.PNG.933718ff452284ac631e7b71904ee179.PNG

• Hook 'Em 1

Was that when people were selling the cards that unscrambled every channel they offered?

When I first got DTV in like 99 or so a guy here locally who did low voltage installs in our apartment buildings hooked me up with one.

I was like hey can I get some more? I know people who will pay. He was like that’s not a business you want to be in. Good advice I got that day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

With how "Smart" TVs sit behind your router/firewall, there is no way I would run any type of pirate app.  Might as well open up all those emails with attachments in your spam folder for good measure.

Obviously if you do so, don't use any type of shopping or banking apps on any computer or phone (anything on your wifi).

Reading how AT&T is pissed that all offers to buy DirecTv from them values DirecTv at 15B. They paid 49B for it a few years ago.  I’m not an expert at acquisitions but that seems to be the opposite of success.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/12/att-reportedly-struggling-to-sell-directv-at-anything-but-a-huge-loss/

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reading how AT&T is pissed that all offers to buy DirecTv from them values DirecTv at 15B. They paid 49B for it a few years ago.  I’m not an expert at acquisitions but that seems to be the opposite of success.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/12/att-reportedly-struggling-to-sell-directv-at-anything-but-a-huge-loss/

Pussy_Comp_2.jpg

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

AT&T has a habit of making bad deals and pissing off its customers at the same time.  

I think the only reason they stay in business is because they have the better infrastructure in the rural areas, especially in states where they took over the Bell System decades ago such as Texas.  

One part of being a cord cutter that I dislike is the loss of randomly running across something on cable. As an example, I used to annually watch 5-10 minutes of a Christmas Story each December by seeing the show in the guide. Now after 5+ years of not having cable, It’s easy for me to forgot about that movie and many others even exist.

Now my viewing is either something I’m looking for, or what is suggested to me by Netflix, Amazon, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One part of being a cord cutter that I dislike is the loss of randomly running across something on cable. As an example, I used to annually watch 5-10 minutes of a Christmas Story each December by seeing the show in the guide. Now after 5+ years of not having cable, It’s easy for me to forgot about that movie and many others even exist.

Now my viewing is either something I’m looking for, or what is suggested to me by Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Very relatable.  I'm a big fan of flipping on the "guide" and scrolling though it for something I want to watch or something I'm willing to start in the middle or wherever it is.  There are numerous movies and series that I will watch no matter where they are (beginning, middle or end).

It's like going to the video store in the old days.  About half the time, I'd just vapor lock on what I wanted to watch if I didn't have something in mind before I went or what I wanted to watch was rented.  I'm much the same way with the online services.

I'm pretty reliant on the threads here for recos.

Those idiots at AT&T are at it again.  Today they "automatically consolidated my accounts for better service."  Shorthand - my wireless and ATTTVNow are now the same account.  Why does that matter?  Because now every person in my house who wants to watch TV must use that password (ATTTVN asks for it constantly), and with that same password they can now get full access to buy a new iphone, add a wireless line, change my wireless service, whatever.

So when my 15-year old is with her friends watching Riverdale or some shit and the nag comes up for the password, she's SOL because I don't want to give all her friends the password to my wireless account.

And yes, she should get better friends.  So should we all.

Best of all, they chose to delete the wireless password and keep the ATTTVN password as the default.  Fucking amazing.

43 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Those idiots at AT&T are at it again.  Today they "automatically consolidated my accounts for better service."  Shorthand - my wireless and ATTTVNow are now the same account.  Why does that matter?  Because now every person in my house who wants to watch TV must use that password (ATTTVN asks for it constantly), and with that same password they can now get full access to buy a new iphone, add a wireless line, change my wireless service, whatever.

So when my 15-year old is with her friends watching Riverdale or some shit and the nag comes up for the password, she's SOL because I don't want to give all her friends the password to my wireless account.

And yes, she should get better friends.  So should we all.

Best of all, they chose to delete the wireless password and keep the ATTTVN password as the default.  Fucking amazing.

Keep patience and the holiday spirit, my friend.   🙂

Would appreciate a brief comparison/opinion of ATTVNow vs Uverse,  cost, content, etc.     Thanks ! 

Edited by torre

4 hours ago, torre said:

Would appreciate a brief comparison/opinion of ATTVNow vs Uverse,  cost, content, etc.     Thanks ! 

our annual uverse promo is up in a few weeks and we’re looking to switch to something else. called today to see if there was any retention type offers if i switched to att tv. here’s what i’ve learned so far

• once we cancel uverse, we can never get it back
  • their “retention” offer to migrate to att tv costs more than the new customer price by 25% 
    • seems that att tv is the contract version of contract free att tv now
    • att tv price increases to att tv now prices in 2nd yr ($80/mo yr 1, $135/mo yr 2)
  • signing up with the wife’s info nets us $400 gc to offset the yr2 price increase 

we just finished trials of yttv, att and hulu live. what i’m quickly learning is that all these streaming services are the same, and there’s not really much difference price wise to cable/uverse. i’m leaning toward canceling uverse just so i can get att back out to reinstall the fiber lines with their new equipment. my shit is 7 years old already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, torre said:

I hate boxes and being tied to particular devices for viewing so I haven’t had a non IP service since 2016.  Before that it was Dish and DirecTV satellite and they were expensive but fine. Dish was a little easier to navigate.  Had uverse very briefly in Dallas but the PQ was atrocious.  Other people I knew had the same complaint. 

I am currently grandfathered into a deal on ATTTVN where I get everything they have but epix for $110 all in including all taxes.  It’s fine.  I generally use the channel apps anyway.  I don’t think a comparable package is still available though. 

• Hook 'Em 1