Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

Return of the motherfucking Mack!

as a guy who always liked coach Brown (and recognized it was at least 3 years past his sell by date and definitely time for him to leave UT) I’m very happy for him that he’s having success at UNC. Good for him. Feel same exact way about Barnes. Both gave us so many really good years and then lost their fastball/got complacent. I’m happy to see them do well because I will choose to remember the good over the end. 

• Like 2

Grimes could have gone anywhere in the country and picked Mack Brown and North Carolina. That to me means a) he wants to be coddled and b) he wants to continue being treated like a big fish in a small pond. 

Not to mention, Grimes had A&M among his top four. That confirms my conclusions in point one above. He's attracted to coddlers and wants to remain a big fish. 

• 2 weeks later...

DAMN LAZY-ASS MACK!!! 

https://www.hookem.com/story/mack-brown-probably-took-guys-off-video-end-tenure-texas/

How has recruiting changed now versus your first go-round at UNC?

"I think I have a better feel of when to get out of a player if he’s not interested in us. You’d rather be fifth than second, because if you wait until the end, and he’s not coming, you not only lose him but you probably lose the other two you were recruiting at that position because you waited too late. So I ask a lot more direct questions than I did before.  The staff suggests who we offer and I make those decisions now, and I thought even at Texas, at the end, we probably took some guys off video and I didn’t meet them all in person and we didn’t watch them all in person. We want to see these guys in person. I’m not going to offer and take a guy at North Carolina that I don’t meet. And if I don’t like him, I’m not taking him."

Edited by LTtxfan

On 6/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, C-Man said:

Did I see where Mack just pulled the #1 DB in the nation?

On 6/30/2020 at 5:18 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

You did.  5* Tony Grimes.  Best part is Mack got to once again beat aggy on the trail.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29389755/cornerback-tony-grimes-espn-no-6-prospect-commits-north-carolina

Was Bly the recruiter on this guy?  He was a stud CB for Mack back in the day.

Watch Mack get UNC to prominence before we ever get "back"

I warned of this as soon as he was hired at UNC. He gets bagged on surly/shaggy all the time and to some extent deservedly so. He mailed it in the last several years of his tenure at Texas. With that said, he delivered to Texas fans a string of great seasons that rivaled some of the best in Texas history. Yes he couldn’t beat OU enough, but he’s still the only coach to deliver a title in over 40, that’s right 40, years. And his string of 10 win seasons and incredible draft choices is impressive. Urban Meyer gets it.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I warned of this as soon as he was hired at UNC. He gets bagged on surly/shaggy all the time and to some extent deservedly so. He mailed it in the last several years of his tenure at Texas. With that said, he delivered to Texas fans a string of great seasons that rivaled some of the best in Texas history. Yes he couldn’t beat OU enough, but he’s still the only coach to deliver a title in over 40, that’s right 40, years. And his string of 10 win seasons and incredible draft choices is impressive. Urban Meyer gets it.

To some extent?  The guy left us with a mess because he felt he deserved the right to get paid and do nothing. 

Shocking he would wake up and take advantage of the jump man logo and the school that started the man (Jordan). He'll probably take lessons learned from laying down and taking it from ou and man-up and beat Clemson. 

Mack Brown went 7-6 last season playing the #60 SOS (per Sagarin) and people act like he just pulled off the most remarkable coaching job of all time. 

North Carolina was awful the year before Mack but they also finished 129th in starts lost to injury in Fedora's final year. They were always going to improve because of health. 

• Like 2

Mack Brown was quite mediocre and downright lazy those last few seasons but Tom Herman hasn't proven to be much of an upgrade. Between the embarrassing losses to Maryland, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, etc and that clown show coaching staff of Todd Orlando, Tim Beck, Mehringer, and Warehime its been incredibly frustrating. 

Edited by 6th Street

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

You warned of this?  What were we supposed to do to prepare ourselves? I tried to prepare but did not know what to do.  Now look at me. 

it's okay. You don't have to thank me.  I'm here for you. That's what I do. Thoughts and prayers.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We actually took recruits that we didn't even meet or watch in person?  LMAO. 

I'm envisioning a scene where Brock Fitzhenry arrives on freshmen move in day and the coaches try to make him room with the student managers, but he keeps insisting he's on the team.  Or Taylor Doyle rolling up in his wheelchair on Junior Day to commit and it's a legit surprise.  "If we pull his offer, is that like, an ADA violation or something?  Have someone look into that.  And how is he going to be in the photo with the other commits?  We're all set up over there and there aren't any fucking wheelchair ramps.  Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell the photographer to make sure we pick a place to accommodate our CRIPPLED recruits!  Silly me."

He mailed it in and so did his coaches.  After he won the title, he never put in the work to get our program to the level of Bama or Clemson from a recruiting stand point.  I remember when we didn’t recruit a single quarterback in 2008 bc he was happy taking Garret Gilbert in 2009.  

His last class the year he got fired was the absolute worst.  He took early commitment from Aaron Garza who ended up a school like Kansas or UNT I believe.  He also took an early commit from a safety from East Texas that got beat out for the starting spot at his own high school.  They weren’t even watch the tape.  That safety ended up at a G5 school I believe after Strong pulled his offer.

While Herman has a lot to prove and he hasn’t been able to recruit like Mack did in his prime, they atleast take evaluating very seriously and have done very well with some of their projections.  Derek Chang and company are good in that aspect.  Evaluating the talent has never been the problem with Herman.  It’s been his terrible hires of staff.  Look at Ash recruit compared to Orlando.  Orlando, Giles, and the previous defense staff were terrible fucking recruiters that put in zero effort.  Our shitty LB room is a direct result of Orlando not giving a fuck.  This current staff is an upgrade but there is lots of dead weight still.  I’m not convinced Andre Coleman or Mark Hagen should be here.  Those were lazy fucking hires.

Edited by victory88

On 7/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Grimes could have gone anywhere in the country and picked Mack Brown and North Carolina. That to me means a) he wants to be coddled and b) he wants to continue being treated like a big fish in a small pond. 

Maybe he just really likes pimento cheese sandwiches and Cheerwine Soda.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Off of 2-10 or whatever and a chance at a 2 point conversion to beat Clemson, yeah, that’s a really successful season I’m context. 

yeah, I mean.... fuck Mack Brown and all that, but UNC's not done, yet. Might want to make sure his ceiling there actually ends up lower than ours instead of assuming it will just because We're Texas.

We haven't done anything since 2009 that UNC can't do as a program.

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We actually took recruits that we didn't even meet or watch in person?  LMAO. 

I'm envisioning a scene where Brock Fitzhenry arrives on freshmen move in day and the coaches try to make him room with the student managers, but he keeps insisting he's on the team.  Or Taylor Doyle rolling up in his wheelchair on Junior Day to commit and it's a legit surprise.  "If we pull his offer, is that like, an ADA violation or something?  Have someone look into that.  And how is he going to be in the photo with the other commits?  We're all set up over there and there aren't any fucking wheelchair ramps.  Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell the photographer to make sure we pick a place to accommodate our CRIPPLED recruits!  Silly me."

spacer.png

On 7/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Off of 2-10 or whatever and a chance at a 2 point conversion to beat Clemson, yeah, that’s a really successful season I’m context. 

They were 2-10 because they finished 129th out of 130 teams in starts lost to injury. 

They were always going to improve because of injuries. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

They were 2-10 because they finished 129th out of 130 teams in starts lost to injury. 

They were always going to improve because of injuries. 

and when they were 3-9 the year before going 2-9, was that also just another bad year cause of injuries?

Edited by SwanderedTalent

11 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

and when they were 3-9 the year before going 2-9, was that also just another bad year cause of injuries?

Fedora had a bad run of luck with injuries. In '17 they finished 125th in starts lost to injury. 

The 2 years prior Fedora was 11-3 and 8-5. 

I'm not sure Fedora is that great of a coach but he also had a shitload of injuries in his final 2 years at UNC. Just getting healthy in combination with a soft ass schedule was always a recipe for improvement under Mack. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:10 PM, nineliveslost said:

North Carolina is ranked higher than Texas and Mack has them going in the right direction...

Yes, he needed to leave Texas. 

Perhaps he did. But if we had it to do over again I'd say keep him, he absolutely could not have done worse than Charlie.

7 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Perhaps he did. But if we had it to do over again I'd say keep him, he absolutely could not have done worse than Charlie.

Would Mack still being here be considered Purgatory or Hell? That was stealing from us for several years. At least Strong and Herman are just incompetent. Mack knew exactly what he was doing. 

I wouldn't be mad at all.

Mack is like an ex-wife who let herself fall to crap at the end of your marriage and sabotaged everything. She got out, rediscovered that she needed to actually be a functional human, improved herself, and is in a successful 2nd marriage.

The fact that she's doing well now doesn't mean she WASN'T a hot mess when you dumped her.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1