Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

The small but perhaps increasing number of posters saying firing Mack was a huge mistake has grown to the point where Scipio mocked them on his podcast this week.

The problem wasn’t getting rid of Mack or Strong or Herman. The problem was how they did it and how they failed in the hire after.

It remains to be seen with Sark, but we are off to a rocky start.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

The problem wasn’t getting rid of Mack or Strong or Herman. The problem was how they did it and how they failed in the hire after.

It remains to be seen with Sark, but we are off to a rocky start.

I think the problem was we waited two-three years too long in easing Mack out the door. Because we didn't he was able to create systemic, chronic problems that have ruined the last two coaches and could ruin a third. If you let the offensive line rot to the extent he did, you can ruin a program for a decade.

17 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think the problem was we waited two-three years too long in easing Mack out the door. Because we didn't he was able to create systemic, chronic problems that have ruined the last two coaches and could ruin a third. If you let the offensive line rot to the extent he did, you can ruin a program for a decade.

Mack had his faults.  But Strong and Herman and to some extent Sark have had enough of their own fuck-ups to own.   The offensive line drop off might go back to Mack, but those guys didn't do themselves any favors in the JUCO or Portal route (when available).   If Sark fixes this trend he can survive here.  If he monkey fucks around and keeps trying to land splashy QBs instead, he will fail.   I would rather watch Case McCoy Part II with a good fucking line than Murphy running for his life every play.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/12/2021 at 9:07 AM, LTtxfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16327310

NOV 17, 2021

Mack Brown: I am not retiring

Mack Brown's "I'm not retiring" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by his shirt.

ZACH BARNETT

To answer a question you may not have been asking, no, Mack Brown is not retiring.  “I was told by a friend of mine that a prominent agent has been telling people that I’m not going to be here next year in hopes that would affect recruiting because we’re recruiting so well,” Brown told Andy Staples of The Athletic on Wednesday.

"I haven't even thought about it."

It's obvious why rival coaches would negatively recruit against Brown's age and why this unnamed prominent agent lick his lips at the idea of an opening at North Carolina, but it's not clear why the agent would care about North Carolina's recruiting class. 

Still, two things are remain true:

1) Brown is recruiting quite well. North Carolina's class ranks No. 10 in the country, with two 5-star commits (one off Alabama's national lead). And with only 15 pledges on board, the Tar Heels still have plenty of room to grow.

2) Brown is the oldest head coach in FBS. He turned 70 on Aug. 27. Once Butch Davis is officially out at FIU, he and Nick Saban will be the only active septuagenarians among active FBS head coaches. 

Still, Brown is on record saying he will not retire in 2021. Take that, prominent agent. 

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mack Brown told recruit to take NIL offer at another school

Posted on 7/12/22 at 9:16 pm
uArw.png118dArw.png3
LINK 

quote:
“There are so many rumors out there, just like with NIL,” Brown said. “Are these kids making as much as they say they are? Some of them aren’t. I had a guy sitting in my office and say, ‘Coach, I’ve been offered $350,000.’ He was a recruit. I thought he was an OK player. He said, ‘I’ve been offered $350,000 to take it.’ I held up my phone and said, ‘Let’s call them now, man. You ought to take it. You need to take it before you get out of this office. I’d hold them to that if they offered you that much.’”

Mack wasn’t born yesterday  IconLOL.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Mack Brown told recruit to take NIL offer at another school

Posted on 7/12/22 at 9:16 pm
uArw.png118dArw.png3
LINK 

quote:
“There are so many rumors out there, just like with NIL,” Brown said. “Are these kids making as much as they say they are? Some of them aren’t. I had a guy sitting in my office and say, ‘Coach, I’ve been offered $350,000.’ He was a recruit. I thought he was an OK player. He said, ‘I’ve been offered $350,000 to take it.’ I held up my phone and said, ‘Let’s call them now, man. You ought to take it. You need to take it before you get out of this office. I’d hold them to that if they offered you that much.’”

Mack wasn’t born yesterday  IconLOL.gif

Jimbo then pretended the call was cutting out. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...