Recommend me a carry-on backpack

Parliament

Just barely conforms, as in as big as you can possibly be and still qualify as a carry-on?  Travel for business all the time.  Foreign and domestic.  Always have a Samsonite carry-on roller bag that I can squeeze a weeks worth of clothes into and 5.11 RUSH MOAB single-strap carry-on bag that's big enough for electronics, books, passports, etc.  For international destinations I swing the bag to my chest for security reasons ( a feature I really like about it).

*also doubles as a range bag.  So it's always a fun time with last minute travelling with a sr. MD and having to explain two fully loaded Wilson .45acp mags in the bottom.  Had to give them up.  Sucks.  Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.  

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

*also doubles as a range bag.  So it's always a fun time with last minute travelling with a sr. MD and having to explain two fully loaded Wilson .45acp mags in the bottom.  Had to give them up.  Sucks.  Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.  

At least you recognize the stupidity.  I have range bags.  I have a travel backpack.  They never, ever, mix.  Nothing I have ever used as a range or hunting bag will ever go to an airport.  And vice-versa.  It's just too easy to miss a stray round or magazine hanging out in an inner pocket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really hard to find the perfect backpack.  That doesn't look dorky as fuck and shout "SAP Consultant".  But it's easy to narrow down the candidates - for me it must have luggage pass-through strap.  Must be convertible from backpack to shoulder bag (really good for ergonomics).  And minimalist in form.  Bonus for cloth/canvas construction rather than ballistic black.

I have this generic one

https://www.amazon.com/WIWU-4328530070-WIWU-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Briefcase-Backpack-Waterproof-Convertible-Multi-functional-3-in-1-Laptop-Rucksack-Messenger-Single-shoulder-Backpack-for-Men-Women-Business-College-Travel-Satchel-School-Bag-Gray/dp/B06Y6LQMN3/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1545063440&sr=8-10&keywords=convertible+backpack

It's still pretty fucking dorky, but atleast it aint SwissGear or these full-on road-warrior 300Liter megapacks.  Capacity is a bit low but its a perfect companion to a roller luggage

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At least you recognize the stupidity.  I have range bags.  I have a travel backpack.  They never, ever, mix.  Nothing I have ever used as a range or hunting bag will ever go to an airport.  And vice-versa.  It's just too easy to miss a stray round or magazine hanging out in an inner pocket.

Just the powder residue will cause you heartache if you get selected for extra screening.

I have a 40L Eagle Creek digi hauler and I have dragged all over..I dont know that they make it anymore but Im sure there is a replacement..Really solid bag..I did have a clasp break when a buddy used it.  Sent it off to EC and had it back completely repaired for free within a month.   They are lifetime warranted.  I also have a EC day bag and just added a 30L EC backpack for wknd trips.    I like to have my hands free when traveling to handle boarding passes, passports, music, grab food, drinks etc.

This is theer 40L which is exactly at the TSA limit.  $110 is a hell of a price.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/travel-packs/global-companion-40l-ec0a3k64#hero=0

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Correct

Swiss Gear is the easy and affordable answer.  All our IT guys carry them.  Same in grad school.  I also really like Osprey for multi-purpose use (hiking, etc.).  I have an old Oakley bag that has a ton of space and pockets that would work also.  

Edited by BabaYaga

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Swiss Gear is the easy and affordable answer.  All our IT guys carry them.  Same in grad school.  I also really like Osprey for multi-purpose use (hiking, etc.).  I have an old Oakley bag that has a ton of space and pockets that would work also.  

And yeah, my travel backpack is Swiss Gear.  Has a good inner pouch for my laptop, other pouches for various charger cords and accessories, and plenty of room for a spare pair of skivvies and socks, and other stuff you want in your carry on (when we got stranded at CDG a couple of years ago, and Air France f'd up and sent our bags back without us, the rest of my family was jealous that I'd followed my plan, and I had clean socks and underwear for the next day -- they now follow suit when they pack).

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Osprey Porter 46

I see this bag everywhere.   My buddy who went to Europe with me has one and it just didnt seem to have the capacity that mine did but it definitely seemed well made.

Edited by midtown

It is very pricey but the Tumi backpack I have is the best I could imagine. It went all over the world with for years at IBM before retiring.  The best feature was the design of the shoulder straps in relation to the pack. There was never any sagging of the bottom of the bag while walking. It stayed high on shoulders all the time. I got it as a reward but would not give it up

Parliament 

Need a little more info. Is this in addition to carry on or sub for carry on. Being a 40-45 week traveler for 15 years I feel luggage is something I kinda know. My last backpack (15 inch laptop, 2 tablets, chargers, snacks, strap for luggage, extra gloves and toboggan for winter and various crap.)

I got a travelpro from luggage factory .com. No financial interest but they have best prices on Travelpro. However went to that site and the Travelpro back packs seem to be gone. My last travel pro carry on (always get highest priced one) lasted 10 years before I just got tired of black and got a different color. 

On 12/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, UnivTex34 said:

Love my Osprey Farpoint 40. It has eliminated my roller bag. 

I also have the Farpoint 70, and have successfully gotten it onto quite a few flights as a carry on, but it does not meet the size requirements. Traveled all over the world with it.

X2 on Osprey Farpoint 40. It’s the only bag I carry now

I have one of these $189 backpacks, but in black, not this ugly color. [I used a 40% OFF code, so I paid closer to $100.]

https://www.patagonia.com/product/headway-mlc-convertible-carry-on-shoulder-bag-45-liters/48765.html?dwvar_48765_color=BLK&cgid=luggage-backpacks#tile-13=&start=1&sz=36

Patagonia has a very similar one for $199, but it has a more waterproof exterior.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-mlc-convertible-briefcase-45-liters/49305.html?dwvar_49305_color=HEXG&cgid=luggage-backpacks#tile-10=&start=1&sz=24

Edited by Napoleon
edit

i have the original patagonia MLC.  it lacks any support of any kind.  which is great if you need to conform to weight... but terrible if the thing isnt fully loaded to provide any sort of structure.  if the thing isn't 3/4rd full, its like loading up a plastic shopping bag

11 hours ago, pacmanmakesitrain said:

X2 on Osprey Farpoint 40. It’s the only bag I carry now

X3 on the Osprey Farpoint 40. I travel internationally for a living and when I got this assignment I had the exact same question as OP. After reviewing many brands, North Face, Tumi, Patagonia, etc. I ended up with the Farpoint. I have been very happy with it. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

but terrible if the thing isnt fully loaded to provide any sort of structure.  if the thing isn't 3/4rd full, its like loading up a plastic shopping bag

This is true of most big packs that aren't stuffed which is why I also bought a 30L.  The packs that have some structure to combat this give up space and add weight IMO.

I'd much rather own a back pack that converts to a duffel than the other way around.

As a side note.  I always pack a folding duffel.  it takes up almost no room.  By the end of a 10-14 day trip things start to pill up.  Add that in most countries the weight limitation for carryons is pretty low...15 lbs for eg so I know my 25 lb pack isnt getting on the plane.  So I bring essentials in my day pack and just throw my entire back pack into my duffel with all the extra shit I bought.

Edited by midtown

Used this bag for 2 weeks in Europe and 2 weeks in Thailand.  No issue carrying it on the plane, including low-budget Asian and European carriers for secondary flights.  Big fan of it.   Used it as both a backpack and as a shoulder bag - both solid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK1P2CP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Used this bag for 2 weeks in Europe and 2 weeks in Thailand.  No issue carrying it on the plane, including low-budget Asian and European carriers for secondary flights

That's a tiny bag...Would almost fit under your seat. Half the size of what the OP is looking for

1 hour ago, midtown said:

That's a tiny bag...Would almost fit under your seat. Half the size of what the OP is looking for

If utilized properly, it will not fit under the seat.  And accommodated a single traveler for 2 weeks and fit in the overhead.  Unless OP is a woman, he doesn't need a big giant bag.

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I like the price and the design 

A couple of times a year they go on sale, I think like 20% off. Not sure how soon you need it, but wait if you can. We've taken them on multiple international trips and they work great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Light me up if need be...

WTF is wrong with SwissGear?  I have had one I bought at Sams at least 5 years ago and it has held up extremely well with many times on the road with 2 laptops and an Ipad.  I use it almost every day at work and it has zero rips/ busted zippers/ etc.

Is it the brand itself?  About 2 weeks ago, we were at work and boss was talking about getting packs for all of us, He asked what we would get regardless of price( within reason though) and I brought up my bag.   I thought I was going to get me ass kicked.

Bought all kinds of shit through school days for our boys, including college.  Most durable backpacks they had were Oakleys.  They both still have them

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Light me up if need be...

WTF is wrong with SwissGear?  I have had one I bought at Sams at least 5 years ago and it has held up extremely well with many times on the road with 2 laptops and an Ipad.  I use it almost every day at work and it has zero rips/ busted zippers/ etc.

Is it the brand itself?  About 2 weeks ago, we were at work and boss was talking about getting packs for all of us, He asked what we would get regardless of price( within reason though) and I brought up my bag.   I thought I was going to get me ass kicked.

Bought all kinds of shit through school days for our boys, including college.  Most durable backpacks they had were Oakleys.  They both still have them

I have an 8 year old SwissGear backpack that has been all over Mexico, the US, Canada and EU....taking it on another 5 week EU/Mexico trip in May. Still in great shape.

28038090 | wenger swissgear backpack p laptop skywalk 16a aztecacompras

I got a SwissGear backpack back in 2009. Seams started to split and buckles broke the first week. The store would only replace it with the same backpack so I took it. The replacement is still in use today 14 years later with no real issues. I’m finally going to replace it with a Briggs & Riley.