The Dirty Dirt: The World of Modern Recruiting

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

In the year that we offered Fournette $350,000, this is the class we signed.

Ya, so Charlie Strong's first signing class. The guy comes in brand new to an organization and immediately offers $350K to Fournette with no prior relationships at the school of people who could go do this for him, and an AD that everyone hated already? 

OH5.gif 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Every fan says this about their school. Texas hasn't had a dominant season in 10 years, yet our recruiting has been pretty good. We may not be the worst offender, but if you consistently pull in top 10 classes, you are largely pulling the same shit as the other schools that hang out in the same neighborhood. To believe otherwise is naivete at its finest.

Huh? 

4 hours ago, Hornsfan91 said:

During the recruitment for Leonard Fournette, a trainer in Louisiana told me he witnessed Texas offer Fournette $350,000. 

Jesus Christ. This is not even remotely believable on a sports message board.  Think about that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Ya, so Charlie Strong's first signing class. The guy comes in brand new to an organization and immediately offers $350K to Fournette with no prior relationships at the school of people who could go do this for him, and an AD that everyone hated already? 

OH5.gif 

Maybe it was Mack Brown. Did you ever think of that? Huh?

Seriously, if Texas was bidding for recruits like everyone else, does anyone think we’d be losing out on recruits? I’m not naive, but it’s all a matter of degrees of cheating, not whether Texas is pristine in it’s behavior. The flip side is someone rationalizing outrageous behavior by saying everyone cheats. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
grammar, spelling, and punctuation
  • Like 1

You're forgetting that Coach Strong had unprecedented support from rich donors like Red McCombs.

5 hours ago, TriStone said:

Your medal's in the mail.  The NCAA has made it clear that it has no interest in enforcing the rules anymore.  I'd prefer to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Couldn't care less whether the NCAA enforces the rules or not.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Surprisingly the basketball cheating is way more rampant than football.

Not really surprising: 

1) Far more schools involved
2) Infrastructure for outside influences is well established (AAU hardly even bothers to keep up appearances, honestly)
3) The premium on acquiring at least one elite player is higher, because one player can carry a basketball team, while in football, there's no point in paying an elite talent unless you can also pay to put people around him. That means that in basketball, even small time programs have incentive and ability to cheat. In football, only the big boys can engage in truly outrageous behavior.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Couldn't care less whether the NCAA enforces the rules or not.

Right, and that’s why it’s up to the prestigious educational institutions of this country like Texas, Michigan, USC, Vanderbilt, Stanford, and Notre Dame to continue to do things the right way in the face of other’s wrongdoing. I’d rather be 4-8 every year with a roster full of student-athletes who love their scholastic opportunity rather than 85 selfish stars who care only about their pocket books rather than their most important body part — their brains.

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

OH5.gif 

You don't remember our attempt to pull Fournette while Mack was still around? He even surprisingly came in for an OV with Jermaine Roberts. Would not be surprised if there were discussions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Not really surprising: 

1) Far more schools involved
2) Infrastructure for outside influences is well established (AAU hardly even bothers to keep up appearances, honestly)
3) The premium on acquiring at least one elite player is higher, because one player can carry a basketball team, while in football, there's no point in paying an elite talent unless you can also pay to put people around him. That means that in basketball, even small time programs have incentive and ability to cheat. In football, only the big boys can engage in truly outrageous behavior.

All that for a one year rental 

16 hours ago, randygilman said:

Right, and that’s why it’s up to the prestigious educational institutions of this country like Texas, Michigan, USC, Vanderbilt, Stanford, and Notre Dame to continue to do things the right way in the face of other’s wrongdoing. I’d rather be 4-8 every year with a roster full of student-athletes who love their scholastic opportunity rather than 85 selfish stars who care only about their pocket books rather than their most important body part — their brains.

Personally, I don't feel like a coaching staff needs top rated recruits at every position to compete. If a recruit wants to play dirty, skip him and find the next talented player to take his spot. You might have to dig deeper, and work harder, but 5* and 4* players get outplayed, or schemed around, all the time.

If they coach and develop talent properly, it shouldn't matter how highly rated the players are. Problem with football is you rarely get staffs truly worth a shit, which is why Saban and Belichick can dominate for so long.

As an example, Oline/dline takes time to build/redshirt and we seem to be getting there.

I feel like this staff and these players are close. They just need to overcome the fear and anxiety of taking chances to put teams away and introduce accountability for performance of favored players.

Edited by pacman

14 minutes ago, pacman said:

Personally, I don't feel like a coaching staff needs top rated recruits at every position to compete. If a recruit wants to play dirty, skip him and find the next talented player to take his spot. You might have to dig deeper, and work harder, but 5* and 4* players get outplayed, or schemed around, all the time.

If they coach and develop talent properly, it shouldn't matter how highly rated the players are. Problem with football is you rarely get staffs truly worth a shit, which is why Saban and Belichick can dominate for so long.

As an example, Oline/dline takes time to build/redshirt and we seem to be getting there.

I feel like this staff and these players are close. They just need to overcome the fear and anxiety of taking chances to put teams away and introduce accountability for performance of favored players.

Yikes.

Did you know that you can have some success playing poker without getting good cards? It's all about how you play them.

However, if you are playing against someone who consistently gets better cards than you in a tournament setting, your margin of error becomes extremely slim.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'm surprised there are not more whistle blowers. Kids getting pissed and blowing the lid off the whole thing. 

Who are they going to tell? It's not like there is anybody who would do anything even if they believed the kid, which is an open question to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Burner phones, "gift cards", bogus jobs and private donations to relatives, it all makes me sick.

Most of what you said is commonplace in business, politics and most everywhere else in our society. But if it’s in an effort to get a football player, that crosses the line? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'm surprised there are not more whistle blowers. Kids getting pissed and blowing the lid off the whole thing. 

In 2009, an Alabama assistant coach told a Desoto recruit he would help him with his standardized testing. And I do not mean tutoring. 

It was reported to the NCAA at the time. You want to guess want ever came out of it? 

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Who are they going to tell? It's not like there is anybody who would do anything even if they believed the kid, which is an open question to begin with. 

All they or their parents have to do is post about it on social media and it would cause a shitstorm. Imagine if some parent posted "Man A&M is dirty as fuck trying to buy my son like he's a slave" and then posted a pic of a bag filled with money. Then a million fans tweet it at the NCAA account. Not saying it would result in anything but it would cause quite a stir to say the least and Im surprised it doesn't happen more. 

1 hour ago, pacman said:

I mean you are wrong, so lets take a look at the past national champs

2018 Bama

2017 Clemson

2016 Bama

2015 Ohio State

2014 FSU

2013 Bama

2012 Bama

2011 Auburn

2010 Bama

2009 Florida 

2008 LSU

2007 Florida

2006 Texas

You have to go all the way back us in the Rose Bowl to find a clean program that won. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I mean you are wrong, so lets take a look at the past national champs

2018 Bama

2017 Clemson

2016 Bama

2015 Ohio State

2014 FSU

2013 Bama

2012 Bama

2011 Auburn

2010 Bama

2009 Florida 

2008 LSU

2007 Florida

2006 Texas

You have to go all the way back us in the Rose Bowl to find a clean program that won. 

Man, I hadn't realized tOSU winning was such an outlier. We gotta get the championship out of the southeast next year (I refuse to cheer for OU or ND).

56 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah, if you want them to be amateurs.

That label is meaningless to me. It’s something someone else said in an effort to justify making money off a sport where the players are not paid. 

But even now with stipends, education, room and board these are not amateurs by any definition anymore. These players are compensated. And very well. By the time a player leaves Texas the market value of what they were given in exchange for sports is well into the six figures. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Surprisingly the basketball cheating is way more rampant than football.

We've played the game in hoops, weird that it is in play there but not football.

The Sanders recruitment caught my attention.. high profile national kid from the heart of the SEC imprint with Bama & UGA holding the lead.  Herman knows "the game" he was approaching, was that a test the waters but not really jump in strategy for future reference?

If the SEC & specifically aggy continue to pollute in state recruiting & Texas loses too much ground, it'll be interesting to see how we respond.  I have no doubts Herman is willing to go at things a lot different than what the program is accustomed to.. Will he get that support of it comes to play?

3 hours ago, texashorne said:

No one would do anything, especially to Bama. The days of Albert Means are long gone. Freeze was getting kids he had no business getting, thus being squashed like the bug he is. Same will happen to Jimbo if he gets out of line. 

4 hours ago, texashorne said:

I was thinking more like kids bragging on twitter and shit.  Kids can't keep they're mouth shut. I'm also surprised some kid or their handler haven't gotten  pissed thinking they are getting a low ball "offer" and start recording meetings, calls, etc.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I was thinking more like kids bragging on twitter and shit.  Kids can't keep they're mouth shut. I'm also surprised some kid or their handler haven't gotten  pissed thinking they are getting a low ball "offer" and start recording meetings, calls, etc.  

Tim Irvin comes to mind. When he de-committed from us and then committed to auburn. He flossed money all over Twitter.

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Bama kids definitely flaunt their shit. They aren't verbalizing it though

39 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Tim Irvin comes to mind. When he de-committed from us and then committed to auburn. He flossed money all over Twitter.

Had the kid this year who tweeted that he hadnt been really interested in i think Georgia  till " coach so and so hit me with that bag"  or words to that effect. 

Tweet taken down. Nothing happens.