Game 28: Texas at Baylor, ESPN2, 8 PM

Machinator

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's amazing Hepa has been used so little, yet Osetkowski gets 30+ minutes per game. Shit, any forward should get more minutes than Osetkowski.

Hepa killed us on defense and rebounding. People need to stop this nonsense. Osetkowski has flaws, but he's undoubtedly better than Hepa right now and it's not close, especially since Do quit taking 3s this year. 

• Like 2

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

yeah but how much better would hepa be if he had been getting osetkowski's minutes?

As much as people like to hate on DO, his rebounding has been good.

We'd be better off in the long run, but we'd have lost a couple more games this season, and Shaka would definitely be a dead man walking instead of it being up in the air.

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah but how much better would hepa be if he had been getting osetkowski's minutes?

Hepa woudl still be worse even if he had played all year. Hepa is a long ways away.  DO gives us our best shot to win this year at the 4. People don't talk about it much, but Hayes is a pretty poor rebounder and DO covers for him a ton in that area. Tonight you saw what it looks like when we don't have a plus rebounder next to Hayes.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hepa killed us on defense and rebounding. People need to stop this nonsense. Osetkowski has flaws, but he's undoubtedly better than Hepa right now and it's not close, especially since Do quit taking 3s this year. 

DO played really well against Baylor earlier this year. We certainly could've used his rebounding tonight. That being said Hepa should've taken way more minutes from DO on the year than he has so far.  

Shaka's rotations at about the 10 minute mark on until Baylor got it down to 9 or 6 didn't make a lick of sense. He inexplicably went with that bullshit 4 guard lineup he fucking loves so much. Immediately upon rolling out Royce fucking Hamm alone with 4 guards we couldn't rebound for shit. Given the first half SIms had in terms of his defensive presence I didn't understand that decision. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

DO played really well against Baylor earlier this year. We certainly could've used his rebounding tonight. That being said Hepa should've taken way more minutes from DO on the year than he has so far.  

Shaka's rotations at about the 10 minute mark on until Baylor got it down to 9 or 6 didn't make a lick of sense. He inexplicably went with that bullshit 4 guard lineup he fucking loves so much. Immediately upon rolling out Royce fucking Hamm alone with 4 guards we couldn't rebound for shit. Given the first half SIms had in terms of his defensive presence I didn't understand that decision. 

Great point......

Ramey wasn't included in the offense during final 10 minutes.  Not sure Long played much in 2nd Half either so guards may have been tired late as well.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm with you on Hepa should've gotten some more minutes this year. 

Shaka's rotations are moronic. He has no feel for the game or understanding of what's going on in the moment. And yeah, 4 guards + Hamm is about as bad of an idea as you could plausibly come up with. 

Just now, Beau Vine said:

It's a gotdam shame that your little pea brain can't see any nuances beyond the record of the two teams.  

KU's record in football is a pretty important factor in the amount automatic firing effect that game had on Charlie's career,. Glossing over that isn't really an inconsequential thing. Nobody even mentions we turned the ball over 6 times that game. YOu know why? Because it's doesnt matter. Jayhawk football is pure trash. 

• Like 2

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Missed it I guess.  Seemed like Texas was too passive on offense in 2nd half.  Have to penetrate more and draw more fouls...... Free throw discrepancy was a joke!!

The lead went from 18 to 9 in 3 trips. It was pretty quick. It wasnt really about us being passive. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

KU's record in football is a pretty important factor in the amount automatic firing effect that game had on Charlie's career,. Glossing over that isn't really an inconsequential thing. Nobody even mentions we turned the ball over 6 times that game. YOu know why? Because it's doesnt matter. Jayhawk football is pure trash. 

Both are the completely indefensible losses that even the defenders can't defend -- that's the commonality.  KU was indefensible because of their record/history.  This is indefensible because, well, you know why if you watched it.  

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Missed it I guess.  Seemed like Texas was too passive on offense in 2nd half.  Have to penetrate more and draw more fouls...... Free throw discrepancy was a joke!!

They made some terrible calls against us but we didn't do anything to earn many foul calls either. Once we we got to the point where we were up 17 with 12:00 to play or whatever what we should have done was run as methodical an offense as we could have, featuring Ramey/Coleman driving vs the zone with about 10 seconds on the shot clock with Hayes down low, Febres in the corner/on the perimeter, the other two guys in a potion to either rebound or get back. Literally just that same exact set over and over and over, drawing fouls, killing the clock getting the ball in the hands of the most proficient low post scorer in the conference, and letting Ramey create like he had been all night.

Instead we kept jacking up threes and letting the game get wide open for zero reason at all and we pissed away what should have been an easy victory going away. Shaka Smart does not know how to win. He can definitely recruit, but he is a poor coach and someone who has proven throughout his decade long career that lacks what it takes in close games. Which sucks, since most of his team's games are close ones. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So, um, why the jump ball pass at the end? We had almost four seconds, not .5.

have Hepa pass it in to Ramey/Coleman who is moving towards our basket. Febres and Ramey/Coleman are on the perimeter, Hayes is down low. Let the ball handler decide between finding the open shooter, lobbing it towards Hayes, or taking pull up J. 

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So, um, why the jump ball pass at the end? We had almost four seconds, not .5.

Cause Shaka.  Execution in close games is a fucking joke.  Has anyone ever seen a team line up all their players behind the half court line when inbounding with a 1 pt lead and less than 10 seconds left?  

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

They made some terrible calls against us but we didn't do anything to earn many foul calls either. Once we we got to the point where we were up 17 with 12:00 to play or whatever what we should have done was run as methodical an offense as we could have, featuring Ramey/Coleman driving vs the zone with about 10 seconds on the shot clock with Hayes down low, Febres in the corner/on the perimeter, the other two guys in a potion to either rebound or get back. Literally just that same exact set over and over and over, drawing fouls, killing the clock getting the ball in the hands of the most proficient low post scorer in the conference, and letting Ramey create like he had been all night.

Instead we kept jacking up threes and letting the game get wide open for zero reason at all and we pissed away what should have been an easy victory going away. Shaka Smart does not know how to win. He can definitely recruit, but he is a poor coach and someone who has proven throughout his decade long career that lacks what it takes in close games. Which sucks, since most of his team's games are close ones. 

This one kind of felt like a compilation of Shaka's greatest hits. It had all we've come to know and be numbed by with Texas basketball.

Losing a large lead to dump by one in overtime really hits the sweet spot. Being ahead by 3 with 22 seconds left and losing is just extra credit for this guy. Style points, really. 

• Like 1

Had shit to do this evening so just now got a chance to sit down and watch the game.  When we went up 62-45 with just under 10 to play, I looked over at my son and told him this game was going to come down to the final minute and that we'd likely lose.  I've seen it too damn many times.  I'm done with this fucking team. 

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We make no use of the middle against the zone. We rarely have someone flash to the elbow or just cut through the lane against the zone. The funny thing is that's what we did against the zone in the first half when we went on that 13-0 run. We played so well against it we forced them out of it.  

Baylor was playing mostly man during that first half run and much of the game until they took Mason out.  The rally came after mason didn’t play another minute and they switched to zone.  

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We make no use of the middle against the zone. We rarely have someone flash to the elbow or just cut through the lane against the zone. The funny thing is that's what we did against the zone in the first half when we went on that 13-0 run. We played so well against it we forced them out of it.  

Sadly, this appears to be a requirement to coach at Texas - "Must be incompetent against a zone defense." 

Rick was pretty poor at this too.  So is Shaka.  So is Karen Aston.   They've been calling the three point shot the "great equalizer" in CBB but it's truly a zone defense if the coach on the other bench is a complete retard.

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Part of this team’s inconsistency is solely related to whether a team plays man or zone on us. If they play man, we tend look great on O. If they only zone, we generally suck. 

Shaka’s inability to make any adjustments on O when a team switches up their defense is truly mind blowing. 

The lack of adjustments and terrible execution is just so Charlie-esque. I’ve never rooted for us to lose because I support our players but losing out would probably be the best thing for all of our players, so they can get a coach that can actually develop them and help them succeed.

just look at Kris Boyd, Malik, Charles O, etc. losing to Kansas sucked but it was the best thing for our program and all of our individual players. We’re there and have been there without shaka and I think last night caused me to actively want us to lose out in hopes that’s bad enough to force CDC to make a change.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I've seen Duke do this a lot this year.  They have a great player (can't remember his name) that flashes to free throw line area to receive the ball.... then helps facilitate their zone offense by scoring or drawing defenders and then providing quality passes to other open Duke players....

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I've seen Duke do this a lot this year.  They have a great player (can't remember his name) that flashes to free throw line area to receive the ball.... then helps facilitate their zone offense by scoring or drawing defenders and then providing quality passes to other open Duke players....

Baylor was playing a 3-2 zone and so the middle was covered if ball went to side.  The openings were on the baseline with Hepa wide open many times, but the guards were too tentative and wouldn't make the pass to him.  Smart screwed up by not playing Sims in second half as he could have flashed on the baseline with Hayes being covered and gotten easy looks.  Sims also would have been better at defense and rebounding.  Give credit to Baylor for playing physical and hard, but Smart mismanaged the game. 

I did enjoy the flow of the game for a good 70% of it.  It was more enjoyable to watch without DO and Roach, even with Hayes having a forgettable showing.

Hepa and Febres are glaringly poor on defense and rebounding... Hepa was so bad defending that his career high was entirely offset by the blow-by drives and uncontested offensive rebounds he allowed.

Baylor made adjustments and the young players we had in the game kept fighting, even after Baylor made their run.  When crunch time arrived and good coaching was needed, our coaches choked, again.  The last inbounds play was pure panic.  Odd substitution decisions, poor / slow adjustments after Baylor made its changes, and end game pain by our coaching staff ... The new blood getting more time on the court was promising.  The old blood on the sideline failed it. 

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

As much as people like to hate on DO, his rebounding has been good.

We'd be better off in the long run, but we'd have lost a couple more games this season, and Shaka would definitely be a dead man walking instead of it being up in the air.

A really good argument for playing Hepa more than DO, IMO

Watching In the first half last night, I thought to myself, “where the hell has this offensive movement been all year?” That’s before I realized DO was out. But it became obvious quickly that our defense was going to suffer a great deal to have that offense in the game.

Ramey looked to have vision and passing that i haven’t seem from anyone else. I don’t care if I never see Roach again. 

Coleman seems like a bust. I don’t see much in Long. Hepa needs a few years. Sims needs more time, as well.

Ramey, Febres, DO, Hayes and I don’t know who the hell else moving forward. Its going to be Roach if he’s available, but take him off point and pull him quickly if he’s heading in that 3-13 direction. 

But just as I wanted the football team to lose to Kansas come the second half of that game when it was beyond obvious we needed to move on from Charlie, I want this team to miss the tournament and i don’t care if they lose out. It sucks, but we have to get this process underway and in the long run we’d benefit from it.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

Was out of pocket the last week visiting family and missed the Baylor, ISU, and Tech games.

From the comments on this page, sounds like Baylor was an epic choke? Fuck me, I know we're stuck with Shaka for another year but it really sucks seeing us find new and unusual ways to come up short, time and time again, and realizing that is not going to change anytime soon.