2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kawhi had a 10 footer little pull up, which is signature shot really, and passed it to Gasol in the corner at the 3 point line.  Now Marc was open but it goes in and out and then DJA with a dagger!!!!  I think at that stage in the game, Kawhi needs to take that.

Kawhi completes the unclutchness with an airball from 3 (maybe it nicked the rim).  Poor play from him down the stretch IMO.

47 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kawhi completes the unclutchness with an airball from 3 (maybe it nicked the rim).  Poor play from him down the stretch IMO.

I'm at a loss as to why Kawhi didn't even attempt to fight through what was a weak screen to stay in DJ's face. That was the thing about that shot that made it different from most pull-up threes we see taken in that situation- DJ didn't look for it, they just gave it to him, and he took it. He was as calm taking that shot as he would be during warmups. Super puzzling move from Kawhi. Maybe there's something in the water in Toronto that makes their players shrink in the playoffs. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Good start to the playoffs, it's always fun when the home team goes down 0-1 to start a series they should be sweeping. Philly doesn't strike me as the type of team to learn lessons from these things, but I imagine Toronto will come back next game and whoop the Nets. Should be fun to follow, now let's see if the Clippers and Spurs can continue the upset train!

Kawhi had a 10 footer little pull up, which is signature shot really, and passed it to Gasol in the corner at the 3 point line.  Now Marc was open but it goes in and out and then DJA with a dagger!!!!  I think at that stage in the game, Kawhi needs to take that.

Truth and one of the things I dislike about today’s game.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Hot take: Ben Simmons might just be the most overrated player in basketball. At least when the playoffs roll around. I don't even think locking himself in a gym all offseason would significantly improve his shot. Dude still doesn't know what hand he is and doesn't have any foundation on which to build upon.

the super freak monster Center takes more 3s than the all world PG who takes none.  This team is really weirdly built, less than the sum of its parts. 

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

KL made a huge 3 and a really hard 2 pointer , then stupidly passed up this critical shot when he was floating to the rim.  Toronto blew that game and KL will be gone. Bucks look like the East lock now that Kyrie is looking at the Lakers while his team is in the playoffs lulz. 

Edited by NowThis

19 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I still have love for KD because of the way he loves Texas.  But he's become a heel over the years.  He gets grumpy at the drop of a hat, and I'm not sure why.  

I've always said i think he eventually comes full circle. i think he goes somewhere as an aging, vet, softens again, mentors the young guys, and maybe even has another deep playoff run or two (or three or four depending on how long he plays) and goes back to becoming a "good guy" again. as long as he's in GS though, this is who he will be.

FTR i'm not talking about this summer either, i'm talking 3-4 years from now when he's clearly on the downslope or his career, maybe when he's 34+ years old. I could see him returning to DC to end his career if the setting were right. I could also see him going to SA under the right circumstances. Somewhere where he can be looked at as a "good guy", so unlikely LA, NY, Boston, and the like. 

Edited by Goo Punch

i've also always said that a lot of KD's on-court antics have been overblown and/or misconstrued as him being "fake" and taking after Draymond, when the reality is that it has more to do with Steve Kerr just letting his guys be themselves. KD is from DC and has always talked trash when he hooped- in HS, at Texas, in OKC, at HT, during practice, at the Rucker, various summer leagues, you name it- he's always been an emotional player who would go as far as his coach would allow. Playing for Steve Kerr and being around Draymond and Boogie every day will only bring it out of him more.

I say all of that to preface this video, which goes to show that fans and media often make these things to out to be a much bigger deal than they really are. We have a bunch of 20-something NBA fans who call KD a "bitch" for his antics, because they don't remember the 90's when MJ, Chuck, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Charles Oakley, Scottie Pippen, Hakeem, Shaq, and just about every other player talked crazy trash and got into heated exchanges regularly, particularly in the playoffs. And that's without even mentioning he 80's. We make a lot out of this stuff these days, but it's always been SOP:

Yeah, I still have love for KD because of the way he loves Texas.  But he's become a heel over the years.  He gets grumpy at the drop of a hat, and I'm not sure why.  
Because he's so on edge and defensive about joining the team who beat him after being up 3-1. And set the regular season record. Creating sock accounts to defend himself. No one respects him at all. He knows those rings are hollow and don't hold a lot of value. He's very bitter these days and plays this fake tough guy act.

27 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

that entire kd/pat bev spat was much ado about nothing and the ref completely overreacted by tossing them.

theres supposed to be a decree, whether explicitly or implicitly given, that says that playoff basketball gets played/officiated much more so like it did in years past when you really had to earn your fouls and everyone just accepted it. it's up to the officials to lead that charge, and the KD/Beverly stuff was way overblown. Nobody fought or three a punch or even came close to it. it was jawing back and forth with some flopping throw in. SOP in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

theres supposed to be a decree, whether explicitly or implicitly given, that says that playoff basketball gets played/officiated much more so like it did in years past when you really had to earn your fouls and everyone just accepted it. it's up to the officials to lead that charge, and the KD/Beverly stuff was way overblown. Nobody fought or three a punch or even came close to it. it was jawing back and forth with some flopping throw in. SOP in the playoffs.

game was already over ref was preventing anything stupid from happening 

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Did Kyle Lowry really score 0 points in today’s game?!

It is really crazy how predicable some guys wilting in the playoffs is. His ex-backcourt mate was his usual playoff self even in San Antonio's win last night. Good dudes, but something really fucks with their heads that makes them unable to deal with the pressure.

I hope Dame shakes his own playoff demons this year. He's never disappeared quite like Lowry, but, after a strong playoff performance in his rookie year, hasn't been able to hit the broadside of a barn in his 4 postseasons since.

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Damn, hadn't seen this until now:

That no call isnt as bad as it seems.  The contact was super quick and there were 3 players very close together.  The only ref that could have had a viewing angle was the one on the side line closest to the camera.  It's been blown out of proportion because of the bleeding.  If there's no blood no one cares.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i've also always said that a lot of KD's on-court antics have been overblown and/or misconstrued as him being "fake" and taking after Draymond, when the reality is that it has more to do with Steve Kerr just letting his guys be themselves. KD is from DC and has always talked trash when he hooped- in HS, at Texas, in OKC, at HT, during practice, at the Rucker, various summer leagues, you name it- he's always been an emotional player who would go as far as his coach would allow. Playing for Steve Kerr and being around Draymond and Boogie every day will only bring it out of him more.

I say all of that to preface this video, which goes to show that fans and media often make these things to out to be a much bigger deal than they really are. We have a bunch of 20-something NBA fans who call KD a "bitch" for his antics, because they don't remember the 90's when MJ, Chuck, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Charles Oakley, Scottie Pippen, Hakeem, Shaq, and just about every other player talked crazy trash and got into heated exchanges regularly, particularly in the playoffs. And that's without even mentioning he 80's. We make a lot out of this stuff these days, but it's always been SOP:

All of those guys you mentioned were legit tough guys and assholes. KD's problem is that he's a fake tough. He's the guy that talks a bunch of smack then tells his friends to hold him back. Everyone who has played a decent amount of basketball knows a dude like that, and KD rings true to that. He's an archetype that everyone is familiar with; "the little bitch". 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

All of those guys you mentioned were legit tough guys and assholes. KD's problem is that he's a fake tough. He's the guy that talks a bunch of smack then tells his friends to hold him back. Everyone who has played a decent amount of basketball knows a dude like that, and KD rings true to that. He's an archetype that everyone is familiar with; "the little bitch". 

Yep. Hate to admit it because I’ve always wanted to like him, but this is 100% spot on.

I actively root against him at this point.

56 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

They also played within their era and competitive atmosphere, and their character.  They weren't dumb enough to trade 2 techs with a role player, at the start of the post-season. 

Imagine Hakeem getting himself tossed out by squabbling with Theo Ratliff

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

They also played within their era and competitive atmosphere, and their character.  They weren't dumb enough to trade 2 techs with a role player, at the start of the post-season. 

Imagine Hakeem getting himself tossed out by squabbling with Theo Ratliff

Hakeem used to fight a lot in his first 2 -3 years. 

Ralph Sampson was ejected for swinging at 6'2" guard Jerry Sichting in the 1986 Finals.