I saw Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Parliament

20 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Probably been covered, but how did Captain show up as an old man at the end? My understanding is that he would have been in an alternate future once he stayed.

Yeah he would've had to travel back.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Probably been covered, but how did Captain show up as an old man at the end? My understanding is that he would have been in an alternate future once he stayed.

You're correct, they defined how time travel would work in this story and then basically blew it up and played loose and fast with the parameters they set, so I think we're just not supposed to question it and go with it.   One theory is the above, Old Cap travels to the first time line from his new one to give Sam the shield.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

it does mean, in theory,  they could do a throw back stand alone Captain America movie with Haley Atwell.  Which would fucking rock. 

But it might cost them 9 figures to get Evans to do another movie.

They certainly could.  They could do a Captain America throughout the 1950-2000's when he was caught in the ice, although it appears Cap ages fairly normally so it'd probably just be a post WWII - 1970's window.  Different timeline and universe though.  Doubt Evans would want to do it either.

I saw that RDJ was going to easily make over 75 million for Endgame, probably more in the 100 million as he gets backend percentage.

The basics following their discussions in movie is that he can be gone as long as he wants but to them it’s seconds/minutes etc. as long as he returned the stones and Mjolnir he has kept their timeline intact. He already learned with Stark that they can jump to other timelines to gather the stones, so it sounds like he jumped an additional time to live a life not as Cap, more than likely he helps Peggy create shield and sets in motion Sam’s rise to Captain America.

Start digging too much into it and you’ve got time problems in the multiverse but for this story he closed the circle.

Finally saw it yesterday.  I thought it was good.  Probably didn't meet my expectations, but they were exceedingly high heading in.

Question about the end....not sure how I missed this.

How did Stark suddenly wind up with the gauntlet when Thanos was about to do the snap?  Is it because it was on the device he created?

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Finally saw it yesterday.  I thought it was good.  Probably didn't meet my expectations, but they were exceedingly high heading in.

Question about the end....not sure how I missed this.

How did Stark suddenly wind up with the gauntlet when Thanos was about to do the snap?  Is it because it was on the device he created?

He didn’t take the gauntlet, he took the stones somehow and they settled onto the Ironman suit hand. 

That was a question I brought up earlier, as the original gauntlet from IW was forged at the star place by Dinklage to handle the stones. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He didn’t take the gauntlet, he took the stones somehow and they settled onto the Ironman suit hand. 

That was a question I brought up earlier, as the original gauntlet from IW was forged at the star place by Dinklage to handle the stones. 

Then this is something I’m not understanding. I thought they put the infinity stones in the gauntlet that Stark created, and then Hulk used it for the snap.  So when the gauntlet was being thrown around during the large battle, I thought it was still the one Stark made.

One thing I disliked was that it seemed as though Thanos was overpowered in this movie. Without any of the stones he was kicking the avengers asses, except for Scarlet Witch, who was a total badass in that scene when she was about to tear him limb from limb.

Then again, the beginning of Infinity War made him put to be pretty strong, overpowering Hulk and Thor.

I agree with those being disappointed in Hulk. He played such a pivotal role in Avengers, and then after his loss to Thanos in IW, I thought for sure he would get his revenge.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 1

I think the Iron Man armor being able to reconstitute around Tony like when he turns the suit on when Ebony Maw shows up in Infinity War is how he got the stones off Thanos. The glove was made from his armor so it's as tough as the suit that took a lot of what Thanos threw at it during Infinity War. So it makes sense that the suit can move the stones from one portion of Tony's armor to another. 

I don't think it's odd that Thanos could overpower the Avengers. He's beat the shit out of the Hulk with no stones. The people Thanos was really struggling with were the two characters born from Infinity Stone energy: Carol from the Tesseract and Wanda from the Mind stone. That's why Thanos taking the power stone off to use to back Carol off him was a pretty cool moment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The original gauntlet was shown to be much better at handling the stones. The stark gauntlet had a lot more feed back on the user. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I think the Iron Man armor being able to reconstitute around Tony like when he turns the suit on when Ebony Maw shows up in Infinity War is how he got the stones off Thanos. The glove was made from his armor so it's as tough as the suit that took a lot of what Thanos threw at it during Infinity War. So it makes sense that the suit can move the stones from one portion of Tony's armor to another. 

I don't think it's odd that Thanos could overpower the Avengers. He's beat the shit out of the Hulk with no stones. The people Thanos was really struggling with were the two characters born from Infinity Stone energy: Carol from the Tesseract and Wanda from the Mind stone. That's why Thanos taking the power stone off to use to back Carol off him was a pretty cool moment. 

He beat the hulk when he only had the power stone 

I saw it again. I think the first time I watched it I was a little disappointed because I had high expectations and I had really bought into a Dr. Strange theory that he  had used the time stone in Infinity War. On the second watch I actually enjoyed it more.

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well.... except we have to put this genie back in the bottle, or more the keg.  

21 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

The basics following their discussions in movie is that he can be gone as long as he wants but to them it’s seconds/minutes etc. as long as he returned the stones and Mjolnir he has kept their timeline intact. He already learned with Stark that they can jump to other timelines to gather the stones, so it sounds like he jumped an additional time to live a life not as Cap, more than likely he helps Peggy create shield and sets in motion Sam’s rise to Captain America.

Start digging too much into it and you’ve got time problems in the multiverse but for this story he closed the circle.

Did they jump realities or simply go farther back in time of theirs to try and correct an issue?  They already created another timeline with Loki getting away unless Cap goes back a 3rd time and tries to clean everything up, which would be fraught with inconsistencies and other issues, but for this specific movie's purpose could work for storytelling, if not logically.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 5/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, Bateshorn said:

Once they started joking about time travel, I took it to mean they were fine going full Back to the Future.

Did Cap bring a Gray’s Sports Almanac back with him to 1970 to put some money on the Cubbies? Or maybe take the moneyline on Thanos over humanity in 2018?

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

$2.188 billion as of today, which is 2nd to Avatar by $600 million.

And non virgins all over the world still haven't seen it.  Still waiting it out, figure there's still a bunch of pimple poppers going for round 2/3. This shit is bankinggggg. 

Finally saw it last night, really enjoyed it.  I tried not to have many expectations because like a Star Wars movie, living up to them is pretty much impossible.

So overall I found it extremely entertaining and honestly, I was glad that Captain Marvel played as minor a role as she did. Not that I have any problem with Brie Larson or the way she portrayed Captain Marvel, it's just that all the other Avengers (and Guardians) had so much more invested in the story, I wanted to see them featured.  And for the most part they were.

I know people have mentioned wanting to see angry Hulk get some revenge on Thanos and that would have been nice, but I really wanted to see Drax get some revenge as well, at least be in the mix of the final battle seen against the Titan.  

Still,  I thought they did a great job with the enormous cast, and I was glad they spent the first 60-90 minutes building the story.  I didn't think the movie was too long at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again soon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Check out the new Spiderman trailer. The multiverse has been introduced. Lots of post-Endgame possibilities now. 

Correct, which is why all the bitching about Cap's appearance at the end was wrong. That wasn't a fuck up, it was intentional. Cap created the multiverse. 

March 15.   I was close.  

“if they want to close out his story at the end of the movie and make women and fanboys bawl, have him seemingly sacrifice himself at the very last moment, and quickly wrap up (show folks returning to their families, or even pull a Superman and have time reverse to pre-snap), and then fade into a darkened bar or club in 1945, have Peggy sitting at a table alone, drinking and depressed.  

Have somebody in the background walk up to a jukebox or the band, and then Vera Lynn’s “We’ll Meet Again” starts playing, the guy turns around, it’s Steve in his Army uniform, and he walks over to Peggy and asks her for a dance.  The two dance as the song plays over the end credits.  No stingers.  Just them dancing as the credits roll.”

Edited by atomheartbevo

all your questions answered and more.  if you are at all versed with the marvel comic universe you will appreciate what the MCU guys did subtly and not so subtly to reference the comics.  the writers and directors are extremely intelligent and talented.  when i see what they've done through 22 movies over 10 years, and compare that to GOT or what's become of the star wars franchise, you appreciate the brains behind the mcu even more.

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Saw it last night and still digesting but....

Enjoyed the settings/locations on Infinity over Endgame. City, space ship, Titan, Wakanda etc etc etc.  

No Angry Hulk was a huge let down.  

I think it will be better on a second watch  

Saw it yesterday. I’ve never said this before about a movie, but I’m still processing/digesting it.  I need to see it again.  I’m avoiding thinking about the whole thing, and just thinking about a few random scenes here and there (like any of it was random).  

No angry Hulk actually feels like a natural progression/victory for Bruce.  Like that was what he was striving for all this time (A1 = “I’m always angry.”)

My only regret about the movie is that my son is 6, and between now and when he’s older, he might be spoiled on a few things.  

Then again, I did successfully avoid him being spoilered about Luke’s dad in Star Wars, and that was a fun moment when he learned it.  

So very tempted to do a run-through of the previous 21 movies with him and take him this summer.  

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My only regret about the movie is that my son is 6, and between now and when he’s older, he might be spoiled on a few things.  

Then again, I did successfully avoid him being spoilered about Luke’s dad in Star Wars, and that was a fun moment when he learned it.  

So very tempted to do a run-through of the previous 21 movies with him and take him this summer.  

definitely some movies that you can miss, like the hulk movies.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

Check out the new Spiderman trailer. The multiverse has been introduced. Lots of post-Endgame possibilities now. 

My first thought is the multiverse will be how they give us the Fantastic Four and X-Men.  Second is that Mysterio is lying his ass off.