impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

10 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Fine, I’ll bite:

@washparkhorn, in your opinion, in what circumstance(s) is impeachment an appropriate relief? 

And what due process is required? And do you know what function the Senate performs after impeachment? And can you explain why criminal investigations by law enforcement and grand jury proceedings aren't a violation of due process under your idiotic reasoning? How do those things, where the person under investigation doesn't even get to know he/she is under investigation, offer more "due process" than impeachment proceedings in the House, where not only does the person know about the investigation but people from his party can actively participate and question witnesses?

• Like 1

I don't see how they can carry on this process point forever. The evidence is going to come out in a dramatic way. And there's not really any evidence in Trump's favor that I've seen. There's Sondland making unbelievable claims like he didn't know Burisma meant Biden--and oh yeah, decorated veteran says Biden was discussed by name anyway. 

7 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

I don't see how they can carry on this process point forever. The evidence is going to come out in a dramatic way. And there's not really any evidence in Trump's favor that I've seen. There's Sondland making unbelievable claims like he didn't know Burisma meant Biden--and oh yeah, decorated veteran says Biden was discussed by name anyway. 

Looks like they’re going with the “Dems are trying to overturn the last election and subvert the will of the people when we are under a year before the next election.”

Sounds good enough for Fox and Friends.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

is it just me or does this seem very much like a soviet style impeachment going on?

The weirdest thing is the republicans presume everyone knows what a Soviet style impeachment looks like.  

Average American, “Soviet style impeachment proceeding eh? What is the problem here?”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

The "read the transcript" mantra may work well in rallies but I don't see how that will hold up with anyone with a half a brain. There are going to be people that listened in on that call that seem to be willing to testify that this is not a word for word representation of what was said. And that much is missing.  The one guy even seems to be saying that he pushed back on the "transcript" at the time as inaccurate.

I imagine that a witness can also be produced that will state that this call summaries are not even intended to ever be an actual transcript.

On a side note, I'm partially surprised these types of calls are not recorded. Given potential misinterpretations or uncertainty of exactly what was said, you would think recordings would be kept.   Perhaps its a diplomatic etiquette to never record the calls since they can leak and prove to be embarrassing to one or both parties. And it could also explain why dozens of people are listening to provide that interpretation and analysis.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Thus far, one Democrat has voted against, all others who have voted are 'yea. The lone Independent has voted yea. Guess what the Republicans are doing?

They are not voting on the impeachment inquiry resolution yet. They are voting on whether to vote.

Edited by Pasken

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

There's a significant difference between what Clinton's impeachment process was predicated on (lying about a blowjob) vs the criminal acts and betrayal of our allies for personal gain that trumps administration has been engaged in. 

At least that's what a swath of decorated, non partisan military veterans and diplomats and officers appointed by trump have been testifying to under oath. I'd rather have actual oversight and consequences NOW rather than another year plus of fuckery. Especially when the process being used to investigate and prosecute is the only constitutionally supported avenue to force accountability

I don't care if the election is in two months. It's a matter or principle, when you have a POTUS using the power of office for personal gain, Congress must act. If not, others in the future will say it's ok to do whatever the fuck you want in office without consequence.

• Like 2

No matter how you boil it down, truth always prevails over lies. Truth is inherently right, lies are inherently wrong. It's very easy to remember your story when you are right. It's very difficult to keep lies straight. These people know they are lying. Deep down they know that it is not sustainable - not anymore. When this all shakes out and we look back on this, there will be plenty of heroes and plenty of villains. But in the end, truth will win.

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Accusing the other team of doing what you are doing is a deliberate Orwellian strategy.   It takes the sting out of legitimate criticism.  “Oh you think WE are a cult?  What about that time YOU were a cult?”  

That strategy only works if your supporters are either cynical liars or idiots who don’t understand the basic concepts underlying the accusations.  Which is why it works for the GOP.

Listening to the moments at the microphone, I kept thinking of how there are quite a few Republican reps that will not be returning. I wish one of them would have thought 'to heck with the Party' and said, '"This is worth investigating, this is worth moving forward and illuminating and examining. Fellow members of our Congress have stated as such and are asking us to join them. Let the truth will out."

So what if it is political suicide? That none of them did just cements my decision to leave the Party and never forget that my representative did not stand up for the country.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

yup. this has been a long troll by the Dems. Normally known to be massive pussies, they were lying in wait to let the R's goad them and make a bunch of demands, only to assume the D's would cave and they could claim victory. The D's pounced and gave them everything they asked for. Now they have nothing.

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

If there had been anything truly favorable to Trump, it would have been leaked, and Fox News would be running it 24/7.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol:

Two full years in which they owned the Executive branch, the Supreme Court, the House and the Senate, and yet somehow it's the obstructionist Democrats' fault that we don't have reduced gun violence, a USMCA, better healthcare, lower Rx costs, a wall, or improved infrastructure.  

SOMEBODY GET SOME FUCKING DONUTS, STAT. 

I'm definitely changing my opinion: the Trump library is going to be off the chain. It will probably be the first one I visit and look at every exhibit. When all of this is done, there will be enough intrigue to keep visitors staying for days to ingest all the astounding bullshit this guy has done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm definitely changing my opinion: the Trump library is going to be off the chain. It will probably be the first one I visit and look at every exhibit. When all of this is done, there will be enough intrigue to keep visitors staying for days to ingest all the astounding bullshit this guy has done.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So is the prevailing thought that it will be a singular, provable article of impeachment (Ukraine bribery) or it's that plus a whole buncha other shit that is likely equally provable, but a little less digestible to the masses?

Safe bet there will be at least two articles:  

1. Abuse of Power

2. Obstruction