The Supremes

tx 3 putt

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i admit i haven't been following this one as closely, but wouldn't the "explanation" kinda be obvious after that memo leaked? 

that's a question the trial court has to resolve.  it wasn't before the supreme court and (i presume) it didn't look at it. 

Edited by elfenix

21 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I need people smarter than me to boil this down..

Did the Supreme Court just say that although gerrymandering is 'incompatible with democratic principles' those bodies responsible for gerrymanding get to rule the roost?

And since that roost has stacked the deck, via gerrymandering, there is no real mechanism available to the majority to stop this implementation of policies 'incompatible with democratic principles'?

Is that it?

This is our concern dude.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She needs to come out and say what this is really about. Making sure whites continue to rule even when they represent a minority of the overall electorate. 

It's more about money than race in my opinion.  The racial aspect of it makes it easy to mask what underneath: greed, control, power.

Slavery wasn't all about race either, it was mostly about the money and the power it buys. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It's more about money than race in my opinion.  The racial aspect of it makes it easy to mask what underneath: greed, control, power.

Slavery wasn't all about race either, it was mostly about the money and the power it buys. 

It's about power. Which is currently held by white people. It's about protecting that power by protecting white people.

That's the story of America.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's about power. Which is currently held by white people. It's about protecting that power by protecting white people.

That's the story of America.

Not disagreeing but the relationship between wealth and power is what they’re trying to protect.  They exploit the racial divisions among the population to do this. They don’t give a shit about white people if they’re poor.  They will keep robbing them blind. 

If free and fair elections can’t be bought by the highest bidders, the rules need be to changed so they can be.  

That’s what this is about. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Roberts: We are leaving this up to the individual voters to elect leaders or pass constitutional amendments in their states to remedy partisan gerrymandering.

Missouri: Passes anti-gerrymandering initiative in November 2018 with 62% of the vote

Missouri Legislature: Fuck you, we're repealing it.

Fuck off Roberts. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
46 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
She needs to come out and say what this is really about. Making sure whites continue to rule even when they represent a minority of the overall electorate. 

Would you sayr she represents 0.0001% of the minority?

Good one, now do the one about immigrant children being held in detention centers in conditions worse than a prison.

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s as if this new conservative block took us back a 100 years 

That's always been their plan and they've got everyone they need in place now to enact it. The only way for the Dems to stop it is to win the White House and Senate and to pack the court.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

They’ve handed gerrymandering as a weapon to Democrats as well. When the Democrats take power they will have the ability to marginalize Republicans.

No, so long as Roberts commands a 5-4 majority he’ll find some excuse to invalidate anything that benefits Democrats.

Voting rights (and related cases) was one area (another great fear is corporate governance/influence) I greatly feared far more than abortion or some of the other normal big ticket fears.  This was a big decision.  Very big I think.

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bingo.  

Just now, David Dennison said:

They definitely use the rubes that really are racist but that’s to get their votes.  The ultimate goal is money not white supremacy.  Look how Trump treats rich browns vs poors.  Literally lets the rich get away w murder.  

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fuck this current conservative group.

This court is going to be dealing out pain for years to come. Roe v Wade and LGBTQ rights are in the cross hairs. 

There is only one reason to gerrymander, to suppress voting rights. 

The country just took a huge step away from being a democracy today. 

We are NOT a fucking democracy!  We are a representative republic.  I am so sick of hearing this democracy bullshit out of the leftists I could puke!

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They definitely use the rubes that really are racist but that’s to get their votes.  The ultimate goal is money not white supremacy.  Look how Trump treats rich browns vs poors.  Literally lets the rich get away w murder.  

As it pertains to the Republican Party you are right, absolutely. They only care about moving money upward. As it pertains to their voters, it's about race and white people holding on to fading political power in the face of changing demographics. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

As it pertains to the Republican Party you are right, absolutely. They only care about moving money upward. As it pertains to their voters, it's about race and white people holding on to fading political power in the face of changing demographics. 

On same page.  100%

39 minutes ago, jettrink said:

We are NOT a fucking democracy!  We are a representative republic.  I am so sick of hearing this democracy bullshit out of the leftists I could puke!

That’s a form of democracy you dumb fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

RBG was so fucking stupid to not retire during the Obama years. Trump has the 2020 election locked up, and she's not gonna make it to 2024. It will be at least a 6-3 conservative court for decades. 

Trump is going to lose. He's 2020's Hillary Clinton times ten. People cannot wait to vote against him.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

RBG was so fucking stupid to not retire during the Obama years. Trump has the 2020 election locked up, and she's not gonna make it to 2024. It will be at least a 6-3 conservative court for decades. 

Look my man, Dotard is not winning in 2020, and outside of him just declaring himself emperor (while the republicans nod in agreement in the senate), he is done destroying the fabric that is left of our country in around 18 months. The problem is his fat ass can do much more damage during that time. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

If Trump wins in 2020, there won't be a 2024 election, or at least one like we are used to. The second Trump is no longer president, New York is going to criminally charge him. Trump can't give up power for the same reason Julius Caesar couldn't. It's the dictators dilemma. 

14 hours ago, Bookman said:

They’ve handed gerrymandering as a weapon to Democrats as well. When the Democrats take power they will have the ability to marginalize Republicans.

They already do it. One of the cases at issue was Democratic gerrymandering in Maryland. The reason this benefits Republicans more in the short term is they control more state governments at the moment, not because Democrats are somehow too noble to engage in the same thing.

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Roberts: We are leaving this up to the individual voters to elect leaders or pass constitutional amendments in their states to remedy partisan gerrymandering.

Missouri: Passes anti-gerrymandering initiative in November 2018 with 62% of the vote

Missouri Legislature: Fuck you, we're repealing it.

Fuck off Roberts. 

Here's another one

Roberts:  The Supreme Court must over rule legislation  that limits corporate financial contributions to political campaigns because that would limit the corporation's right as an "citizen" to have their voice heard in our political system

but also....

Roberts: The Supreme Court can have no role in over ruling the legislative/political process that is designed to purposely suppress  individual citizen's right to have their voice heard in our political system.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Here's another one

Roberts:  The Supreme Court must over rule legislation  that limits corporate financial contributions to political campaigns because that would limit the corporation's right as an "citizen" to have their voice heard in our political system

This is such a huge crock of shit. It still boggles my mind that they got away with it and that every living, breathing, actual citizen isn't up in arms about it. People are citizens. Corporations are legal entities that can be created, bought, sold, merged, and terminated on a whim. This was such a blatant political move intended solely to benefit the Republican Party and the corporate special interests they serve over those of the people. Our Founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves. 

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

They already do it. One of the cases at issue was Democratic gerrymandering in Maryland. The reason this benefits Republicans more in the short term is they control more state governments at the moment, not because Democrats are somehow too noble to engage in the same thing.

Maryland is the exception for Democrats. California and New York have independent redistricting commissions and Democrats have been pushing for them in many other states.

22 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Alito's opinion on the census brings up a good point.

Our slow-moving review process assumes a baseline level of honesty in the population.  When we elect a team of frauds to run us, there is suddenly going to be too many new areas where people are asking the Court to stick their nose in.  "Never before have we reviewed whether a citizenship question is illegal in a census."  Well, because we've never had an administration that has figured out how to use that to hurt the republic.  Now that someone has, the court is asked to review it.

In order to do so, the court was forced to open the door to any of 10,000 challenges that might be seen at the lower level.  There is no way we have the resourced to do so.  But to admit that is to let the Commerce Department conduct an intentionally bad census for the purpose of fucking minorities.

The entire Trump administration is a stress test for our country.

Great post. 

This was such an anomalous case.  Under normal conditions, the Department of Commerce can do whatever the fuck it wants to with the census without interference from the courts.  Congress can try to legislate what DoC can do within the bounds of the Constitution.

Only this shitgibbon adminstration would make a census issue cert-worthy.

55 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Here's another one

but also....

Roberts: The Supreme Court can have no role in over ruling the legislative/political process that is designed to purposely suppress  individual citizen's right to have their voice heard in our political system.

Yeah, it's impossible to square Roberts' opinion in this case with many prior opinions until you realize that his only concern is restoring Lochner and dismantling the federal government, and that he'll say anything to justify any ruling that helps advance that agenda.

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This is such a huge crock of shit. It still boggles my mind that they got away with it and that every living, breathing, actual citizen isn't up in arms about it. People are citizens. Corporations are legal entities that can be created, bought, sold, merged, and terminated on a whim. This was such a blatant political move intended solely to benefit the Republican Party and the corporate special interests they serve over those of the people. Our Founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves. 

Yup.  I am tempted to form two corporations, file for a marriage license for my corporations, and then apply to have my married corporations adopt a child.... just to really test out the limits of my corporations rights as "individual citizens".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

That's always been their plan and they've got everyone they need in place now to enact it. The only way for the Dems to stop it is to win the White House and Senate and to pack the court.

maybe this is why they wanted to go back to coal too.

• 1 year later...