Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

Absolutely great evaluation on Christian Jones by this staff.  Not only a great evaluation, great development by Yancy and company.  Jones was a soccer player that just continued to grow.  He has insane athleticism.  Now with the added weight and a year in the program, I expect him to get better with every practice. 

(H)Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwon played soccer before he got too tall and he turned out okay. The footwork necessary to even play pickup soccer would be a huge benefit for someone who goes on to play OL. I am definitely psyched to read this.

8 hours ago, tittiesandbeer said:

He's a Fast Houston 7v7 kid.  As it stands today his top 3 is probably Ohio St., LSU, A&M. 

So he's committing to Germany?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

(H)Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwon played soccer before he got too tall and he turned out okay. The footwork necessary to even play pickup soccer would be a huge benefit for someone who goes on to play OL. I am definitely psyched to read this.

Maybe it’s a sideways Belgian flag

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Or "Nee!"?

we-are-the-knights-who-say-ni-28871600.p

I'm channeling pre-WWII Alsatian verbiage.

"Alsatian is an Alemannic dialect closely related to Swabian and Swiss German, although since World War II most Alsatians primarily speak French."

[snip]

"The year 1789 brought the French Revolution and with it the first division of Alsace into the départements of Haut- and Bas-Rhin. Alsatians played an active role in the French Revolution. On 21 July 1789, after receiving news of the Storming of the Bastille in Paris, a crowd of people stormed the Strasbourg city hall, forcing the city administrators to flee and putting symbolically an end to the feudal system in Alsace. In 1792, Rouget de Lisle composed in Strasbourg the Revolutionary marching song "La Marseillaise" (as Marching song for the Army of the Rhine), which later became the anthem of France. "La Marseillaise" was played for the first time in April of that year in front of the mayor of Strasbourg Philippe-Frédéric de Dietrich. Some of the most famous generals of the French Revolution also came from Alsace"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsace

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Everyone always brings up soccer but he was also pretty good at Team Handball, which is a great sport and probably more transferable to hoops than soccer. 

Saw an interview with Kendal Milton back in November and he's boys with Bru and Ricks. 

Milton is visiting in late February. I'm not sure who we are prioritizing out of Milton and Evans but if we could land one of Ricks or Milton I think the other would jump on board. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 1/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, Txsbigeasy1 said:

kinda of new to surly!  Longtime listener first-time caller!

do wantDx2yH-5VAAAh2Do.jpg

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

@Txsbigeasy1 clearly you know something we don't. Props to you. 

The bashing he endured for the Zach edit seemed overboard at the time. Nice to see him vindicated. I believe Kelee has used this edit also.

Edited by Sabalo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Akeem was the goalie on his Nigerian team (the Lions iirc) that came to Dallas for early to mid 80's Dallas Cup. Not sure "soccer" really helped him with hoops as he was in the net almost exclusively.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. He’s been saying he was visiting at the end of February in every report I’ve seen. No one bothered to look at a calendar and realize that meant the opening weekend of March, I’m guessing. 

Walker Little’s family can fuck right off though. 

Where are lindbergs parents alliegiences? With little and bragg, both had a parent that was all Stanford right? If that's going to be the case here again,  I'll be a little satyanashed.

Edited by Butch Had Not

18 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Akeem was the goalie on his Nigerian team (the Lions iirc) that came to Dallas for early to mid 80's Dallas Cup. Not sure "soccer" really helped him with hoops as he was in the net almost exclusively.

He became goalie as he grew taller, otherwise, he played other positions on the field.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Where are lindbergs parents alliegiences? With little and bragg, both had a parent that was all Stanford right? If that's going to be the case here again,  I'll be a little satyanashed.

Mom seems pro Texas.  I don't think anything has ever been mentioned before about his dad.

10 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Looks like all 3 outlets dropped Demas down to 4-star status. Poor aggy. 

They're gonna be extra super fucking salty if Johnny Wilson ends up a 5* and a Horn and is ranked above Demas. Not Tyler Owens level salt, but that would probably end up a Malikmas level of tears/angst/aggyness.  The real question is what happens if the camp season comes up and Omeire moves ahead of Demas but remains uncommitted? How will they approach that? I am super hopeful that it happens. If both happened and then both ended up Horns - well, then you'd have Owens/Hookfin 2.0. Get a Demas flip to Bama a la Jeffrey Carter and you've got TRAINSPOTTING HEROIN OVERDOSE level Aggy misery. Let's make it happen. 

25 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Should also be noted the Bragg's were talking to and trying to get Jake Majors and family on board to go to Stanford.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

They're gonna be extra super fucking salty if Johnny Wilson ends up a 5* and a Horn and is ranked above Demas. Not Tyler Owens level salt, but that would probably end up a Malikmas level of tears/angst/aggyness.  The real question is what happens if the camp season comes up and Omeire moves ahead of Demas but remains uncommitted? How will they approach that? I am super hopeful that it happens. If both happened and then both ended up Horns - well, then you'd have Owens/Hookfin 2.0. Get a Demas flip to Bama a la Jeffrey Carter and you've got TRAINSPOTTING HEROIN OVERDOSE level Aggy misery. Let's make it happen. 

The lates ESPN 300 added Majors and Garth and dropped out Jefferson and Bankhead.  Surprised we haven't gotten anything from that.  How the fuck Chibuzo is still in it, I don't know.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

50 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think there's a very good chance both Demas and Omeire end up aggies 

This might be a little out of date with the recent ranking changes

2020 Running back carousel 

- There are 8 RBs rated .98 or higher
- There are 13 RBs rated .95 or higher
- There are 28 RBs rated .90 or higher
- One .98 is committed- Jase McClellan to OU
- One more .95 is committed- Don Chaney Jr to Miami
- Two more .90s are committed- Darvon Hubbard to Ohio St, Roydell Williams to Bama

Assuming that Texas is basically all in on Zach Evans, that he waits until late to decide, and that it'll be between Texas, Bama, Georgia, LSU, A&M, OU and Clemson, it'll be interesting to see how those schools start filling up. It's very difficult to land two elite RBs in the same class; since 2010, there have only been two classes that have had two .98 RBs in the same class. So per historical data, the odds of you landing one elite RB goes up without a second one already in the class; so while schools that land one of these .98s aren't necessarily eliminated, their jobs get much tougher to land Evans. Whenever one of these schools lands a top RB prospect, our odds of landing Evans inherently goes up. Additionally, whenever two of the seven schools mentioned get eliminated based on getting left out of an official visit, the other schools should get a percentage bump. 

It appears that there's a decent chance that Texas' RB2 will be Ty Jordan, who shouldn't be threatening in the least to Evans, and Texas can sell taking just one RB the past two years, something most of these schools won't be able to sell. 

RB options for Evans contenders (.95+ are RB1)

Bama
RB1: Evans, Milton, Lloyd, Bowman
RB2: Roydell Williams (committed)

Georgia
RB1: Evans, Milton, Lloyd, Bowman, Bigsby
RB2:

LSU
RB1: Evans, Milton 
RB2: Clayton

A&M
RB1: Evans, McGowan
RB2: Adams II

OU
RB1: Jase McClellan (committed), Seth McGowan, Robinson
RB2: 

Clemson
RB1: Evans, Bowman, Knighton 
RB2: 

I have a lot of holes in the list above, but what would help is for Bama/Georgia to beat out Maryland for Lloyd, and Bama/Georgia/LSU to land Milton instead of someone like Ohio State or USC, and for Clemson to land Knighton (it appears that they'll land him). 

TLDR: there's a ton of supply of RB1s this cycle, and Evans only has so many schools he's considering, so if we weather the storm while other schools start taking RBs, our odds should continue to go up.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Should also be noted the Bragg's were talking to and trying to get Jake Majors and family on board to go to Stanford.

I won’t ever understand this. Just because Stanford was the right choice for one kid and family doesn’t mean it’s the right choice for another. And Bragg just showed up in PA at best, and may still be in high school. So what can he say about being there?

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I won’t ever understand this. Just because Stanford was the right choice for one kid and family doesn’t mean it’s the right choice for another. And Bragg just showed up in PA at best, and may still be in high school. So what can he say about being there?

They don't do early enrollee's right?