Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

very early days of the internet...Go Big 12 days still, I think, before Hornfans....there was a kid that flipped last minute from aggy to Notre Dame...I think he was a lineman or TE named "Morton" or something similar....anyway, this poor 17 year old had the temerity to want a world class education instead of aggy bullshit and his family got ROASTED by early aggy message board user.

It was crazy and they may have moved over the deal.  aggy can't help  but showing their true colors at some point in the game.  happens every fucking time.

Bob Morton from McKinney was a C that went to ND but I don’t remember if he was committed to aggy beforehand. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

hahahaha no. im not that guy. i think all the hand size stuff for a college QB in a power spread offense is pretty silly.

The "sweet spot" for hand size is 9.25" to 10".

That being said there are many caveats:

1) A higher percentage of QBs get drafted both below and above that number than from within that range.

2) Probowlers tend to be on the higher end, but that might just be a factor of them being bigger guys in general (Cam Newton, Andrew Luck).

3) Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes both measure ~9.25" - although a combine measurement on Brady doesn't seem to exist and there's a lot of numbers out there for him.

4) Regular hand massages leading up to the combine can increase the measurement by about 0.5", and -yes- it happens.

Also, John David Booty seems to be the smallest hands on record that were drafted at 8.5"

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Good to know, because Boyd's eval takes are generally retarded.

I believe Ian Boyd posts on this site as NorLaHorns.

1 hour ago, TtomTerrific said:

very early days of the internet...Go Big 12 days still, I think, before Hornfans....there was a kid that flipped last minute from aggy to Notre Dame...I think he was a lineman or TE named "Morton" or something similar....anyway, this poor 17 year old had the temerity to want a world class education instead of aggy bullshit and his family got ROASTED by early aggy message board user.

It was crazy and they may have moved over the deal.  aggy can't help  but showing their true colors at some point in the game.  happens every fucking time.

Hahahahahaha. Holy shit. I remember this. The mom went on their board and went off and those eunuchs all ran for cover. 

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The "sweet spot" for hand size is 9.25" to 10".

That being said there are many caveats:

1) A higher percentage of QBs get drafted both below and above that number than from within that range.

2) Probowlers tend to be on the higher end, but that might just be a factor of them being bigger guys in general (Cam Newton, Andrew Luck).

3) Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes both measure ~9.25" - although a combine measurement on Brady doesn't seem to exist and there's a lot of numbers out there for him.

4) Regular hand massages leading up to the combine can increase the measurement by about 0.5", and -yes- it happens.

Also, John David Booty seems to be the smallest hands on record that were drafted at 8.5"

So if a QB has, say, 7.5 inch hands, as a for instance, that's probably not good? 

It's great for folks to act indifferent about hand size for a guy handling the ball on every offensive snap, but it factors into mechanics, accuracy, and strength for throwing the ball. There's a reason hand size is measured on recruiting visits at (apparently) other schools and at the NFL combine. It's not some insurmountable concern, but when you add that in with overall frame, anyone expecting this guy to get much bigger is probably going to be disappointed. 

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I've always been told that it's not the size of the [hands] that counts.  It's the motion of the ocean.

If it took us this long to get to this joke and those like it, maybe they were unfunny enough to have remained implied. I don't know. Can't hit any of the shots you don't take, I guess. But boy, is every spot on the floor meant to be within range?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If it took us this long to get to this joke and those like it, maybe they were unfunny enough to have remained implied. I don't know. Can't hit any of the shots you don't take, I guess. But boy, is every spot on the floor meant to be within range?

You must not be a fan of Steph Curry.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I feel like the measurements are getting confused.

NFL measures tip of pinky to tip of thumb. 7-1/2" for that is dwarfish and not believable. Some measure base of palm to tip of middle finger. 7-1/2" is believable for that and would be small for a QB prospect.

Now I really want this to be true for Card. It's cruel, but it would be hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now I really want this to be true for Card. It's cruel, but it would be hilarious. 

Hey, all I'm saying is that 7-1/2" is smaller than the average female hand span and the average female is 5'4". So maybe dwarfish was a bit hyperbolic, but that would be incredible if Card has a 7-1/2" hand span.

For reference, average male (5'10" tall) hand length is about 7.5" and span is 9".

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So if a QB has, say, 7.5 inch hands, as a for instance, that's probably not good?

I assume you're talking about Card. I can't confirm how big his hands are, but I have about average sized hands (small in QB terms), can't grip that size of football for shit, and even MY hands measure over 7.5" when measured the "Combine" way.

So he may not have large hands, or acceptable by NFL standards sized hands, but seeing the kid throw the ball I'm certain they're not 7.5combine, but rather on the other side of 8. 

PLEASE GIVE US A MEASUREMENT NOW CARD AND STOP THIS MADNESS I'M OVER HERE GUESSING HAND SIZES 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hey, all I'm saying is that 7-1/2" is smaller than the average female hand span and the average female is 5'4". So maybe dwarfish was a bit hyperbolic, but that would be incredible if Card has a 7-1/2" hand span.

For reference, average male (5'10" tall) hand length is about 7.5" and span is 9".

Because I had no clue about my own physical attribute on this one, I just had an EA measure for me and my hand was 9.5" span and 8" length, at 6'2". I figure that's where Card should be, but here we are dealing with what sounds like dwarfish concerns, per your update.

I used iruler.net. I got 8.5 inches across and 8 inches long from palm to tip. I'm 6'3.  

Found this from palm to tip:

Average Male Hand Size

The average male hand size is 189 mm (7.44 inches)

Average Female Hand Size

The average female hand size 172 mm (6.77 inches)

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I used iruler.net. I got 8.5 inches across and 8 inches long from palm to tip. I'm 6'3.  

Found this from palm to tip:

Average Male Hand Size

The average male hand size is 189 mm (7.44 inches)

Average Female Hand Size

The average female hand size 172 mm (6.77 inches)

I thought CTJ said you were freakishly tiny?