Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

EJ after dark: Big-time DL to visit Texas this weekend

— Texas will host a big-time 2021 defensive lineman this weekend in Terrebonne (La.) product Maason Smith. He holds early offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns jump in the mix as well as Smith is one of the country’s top players in the trenches for next cycle.

— Smith won’t be the only defensive lineman on campus this weekend. Rising Irving MacArthur prospect Blake Burris is also making an unofficial visit to Texas. Burris has offers from Air Force, Colorado and Southern Miss. He is an interesting recruit that could see his stock rise this spring.

— Sticking with defensive linemen, four-star Corner Canyon (UT) defensive end Van Fillinger is looking to make a visit to Texas this offseason. Fillinger is on UT’s radar and is a prospect the Longhorns could make a move with down the line. He has offers in hand from Cal, LSU, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA and others.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star Dallas Jesuit athlete EJ Smith on Tuesday morning. So do the Longhorns have a chance? Smith is taking a measured approach to his recruiting process, so I would side with yes, but it is relatively a little late. Smith is a Florida legacy, and he has a sister at Texas A&M.

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: Big-time DL to visit Texas this weekend

Hide contents

— Texas will host a big-time 2021 defensive lineman this weekend in Terrebonne (La.) product Maason Smith. He holds early offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns jump in the mix as well as Smith is one of the country’s top players in the trenches for next cycle.

— Smith won’t be the only defensive lineman on campus this weekend. Rising Irving MacArthur prospect Blake Burris is also making an unofficial visit to Texas. Burris has offers from Air Force, Colorado and Southern Miss. He is an interesting recruit that could see his stock rise this spring.

— Sticking with defensive linemen, four-star Corner Canyon (UT) defensive end Van Fillinger is looking to make a visit to Texas this offseason. Fillinger is on UT’s radar and is a prospect the Longhorns could make a move with down the line. He has offers in hand from Cal, LSU, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA and others.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star Dallas Jesuit athlete EJ Smith on Tuesday morning. So do the Longhorns have a chance? Smith is taking a measured approach to his recruiting process, so I would side with yes, but it is relatively a little late. Smith is a Florida legacy, and he has a sister at Texas A&M.

Shopping the bargain bin for DL already?

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin: The recruiting tension between Texas, OU, and A&M

I remain fascinated by the in-state recruiting dynamics between football blue bloods Texas and Oklahoma, as well as Texas A&M.

Compounding the intrigue of all three finishing with top-five classes for the 2019 cycle, each school will host its spring game on the same day: April 13th.

While those visitors lists have yet to take shape, it guarantees to be one of the most talked about days of the cycle. Much will be read into any common recruit attending one of the three glorified practices. Knees are sure to jerk as hands wring, spiking arthritis medicine sales in the process.

When you get to the point of trusting the Texas staff -- a point you should have reached after back-to-back No. 3 classes -- you casually observe the day-to-day particulars much more than you worry about them. You understand in this highly competitive climate there will be losses. You also understand with this staff there will be many more wins.

Before the wins and losses are decided there will be some lead changes as each school vies for the same precious few prospects. Because each school has the capability to recruit out-of-state at a high level, coaching staffs will be reluctant to "reach" for players in Texas. This ups the ante for the top twenty or twenty-five or so prospects.

Each school is off to a good, yet not overly aggressive start. Texas has four commits, OU six, and A&M five. By comparison, Alabama has 13 commits, Miami 11, LSU 10, and Clemson 9. Those four also have highly rated classes, not just highly ranked. Miami brings up the rear with a very good 91.66 average, which is right there with A&M's average.

I believe the "slower" start for the three regional schools is in part due to the recruiting tension between them for prospects.

Let's look at the common targets, targets who are serious about at least two of the programs. Keep in mind many of these players are serious about other schools as well. Jalen Kimber is a great example of that as he'll see numerous schools outside of the region in April alone and it doesn't require much imagination to see him leave the state/region.

RB Zach Evans (North Shore): As I've long stated, this recruitment is going to be wild. That insight doesn't require anything more than an understanding of supply and demand. There is no like-for-like replacement for a school that misses on him. Unsurprisingly, he has every school in the nation after him, and he's considering each of the three schools we're discussing. Of the three, Texas is probably the most likely, but he'll have a thorough process with numerous trips across the country.

WR Demond Demas (Tomball) - A&M: My read of the situation is that he'll stick with A&M, but he's another special talent like Evans where demand dictates he'll take numerous visits. My guess is he'll be forthright with A&M throughout and sign with the Ags after thoroughly enjoying everything about the process, including visits.

RB Jase McClellan (Aledo) - Oklahoma: It's a special cycle for running backs and Oklahoma, like Texas, is after two of them. OU has the upper hand with McClellan, but the Aledo prospect has visited UT and likely will again at least once more. The nationwide musical chairs at running back could factor into the discussion. I've long felt OU was in good position for California five-star Kendall Milton. Could they land both Milton and McClellan? Schools will certainly attempt to drive a wedge between that pairing.

DB Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele) - A&M: Jones was a huge get for A&M and I have him listed more because he was a UT priority than him still being in consideration for both schools.

LB Prince Dorbah (Highland Park): Dorbah has a unique fit as an outside, pass-rushing linebacker which puts him right in UT's wheelhouse of B-backer. Texas is the prohibitive favorite but OU and others are after him. He'll be a ballerina at 240 pounds.

CB Jalen Kimber (Mansfield Timberview): With excellent technique and athleticism, Kimber is in demand nationwide. He's going to experience a full recruiting cycle in the next few months as he looks to make numerous visits and make a decision before his senior year. UT and A&M are prioritizing him with legitimate shots. Kimber and his father are running a mature, professional process and wouldn't hesitate to go out-of-state if that's the right fit. I have a good feeling about UT's chances, though.

DE Alfred Collins (Bastrop Cedar Creek): Much has been made of Collins being a Longhorn legacy thanks to his mother's hoops career, but he hasn't appeared to be a UT slam dunk. Some of that could be that he isn't a slam dunk, some of that could be he's a private, hard to read kid. Regardless, both OU and A&M are competing for the high upside defensive end's signature. Collins is also entertaining Notre Dame and Alabama.

DL Vernon Broughton (Cypress Ridge): Guys like him make evaluation fun. Evaluate what he is now at your own risk, I have a strong inkling of what he'll be in a couple of years. UT has been the front-runner by Broughton's own admission, but other schools are making a push for him including A&M and LSU. This is a recruitment I cautioned could get interesting, again, as the roller-coaster is powered by demand. Broughton seems in no hurry to make a decision.

DB Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek): The versatile safety likes UT, A&M, and LSU, but recently made a visit to Alabama where he picked up an offer. He's slated to return to Tuscaloosa for the Tide's spring game on the 13th. Still, UT and A&M appear to be high on his list and Alford has stated he's in no hurry to make a decision, and could potentially wait until the second signing day. One must wonder if Alabama could pry him off his timeline if they hard-press.

DB Bryson Washington (C.E. King): Washington has been quiet of late but he's taken numerous trips to UT since the turn of the calendar. He's also been high on OU and my best guess is this will remain a RRS battle. Initially he was going to make his declaration on the 4th of July, but lately he's said he'll let things play out into the fall.

RB Seth McGowan (Mesquite Poteet): McGowan is hard to read but he's certainly high on OU and A&M. In the Rube Goldberg project that is running back recruiting, he's a big domino even if UT didn't pursue. A&M seems to make the most sense as he looks for a good mix of academics and opportunity. He might have been his school's valedictorian if athletics didn't interfere with his curriculum.

CB Jahari Rogers (Arlington): One of my favorite corner prospects in the class even if he doesn't play corner in high school. His offensive prowess puts his corner traits -- quickness, change of direction -- on full display. Many have him figured for OU, his grandfather played for Barry Switzer in the 70's, but I think he's more open than that and he'll take in the Texas spring game in a few weeks. He and Ryan Watts, who play for the same 7 on 7 True Buzz team, would like to play together, but that isn't a certainty. Those two parting ways on April 13th furrows the brow.

CB Ryan Watts (Little Elm): I've joked he looks like a big elm with a canopy of limbs expanding in all directions, but he'll stick at corner despite the length. At a certain point there are diminishing returns when it comes to length, but Watts is right at the cut-off where he can remain at corner. He'll take an official visit to OU for their spring game on the 13th. Is that a tell? He recently visited A&M and has also given UT high praise. A&M is recruiting him hard.

DL Princely Umanmielen (Manor): I've been higher on Princely than anybody, but anyone projecting him as an edge-turning defensive end are selling bridges to nowhere. He's a disruptive force, but more so slanting and stunting rather than running the arc. Tons of upside, especially as he comfortably carries 285 pounds. His recruitment appears to be a Mexican standoff between UT, OU, and A&M but he's likely considering other schools.

WR Troy Omeire (Fort Bend Austin): Omeire profiles as a target receiver with ability after the catch. Schools will put him in the boundary, hopefully in one on one coverage, and play to his natural size and strength advantages. A&M and UT are battling and he'll take official visits to those two schools as well as Notre Dame. A&M appears to hold the edge but the official visit offers UT hope.

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi (Kempner): Maybe the lightest feet on an o-lineman in the state, the one-time A&M commitment seems likely to OU. Texas likes him but is entrenched in a couple of other recruitments.

ATH Michael Henderson (Carrolton Ranchview) - Oklahoma: I have him mentioned because UT gave the old college try for the intriguing athlete. 247 has him classified as a linebacker, and he could certainly pull it off, but he committed to OU because he's an exceptional fit for H-back. The early bird got the worm here.

CB Joshua Eaton (Aldine MacArthur): Size and speed queens alike will love the 6-foot-2 athlete. A&M seems to be pressing the hardest for the promising athlete but he also holds offers from Texas and OU.

LB Josh White (Cy Creek): Some had this as a Texas/OU battle, and sure enough White spoke highly of Oklahoma when last I talked to him. But I had heard to watch for an LSU/UT battle and that appears to be what it is, though UT has significant ground to make up after his recent visit to Baton Rouge.

While these guys are all being pursued by at least two of the schools, it's hard to know just how hard each school is pressing. That could prove to be the difference with corner recruiting being a prime example. That position could shake out similar to each school's big board, with the exception being that both OU and A&M seem to be very high on Watts and he can only pick one.

We're in a golden era of in-state recruiting with all three big schools on positive recruiting trajectories. How the season plays out could go a long way towards the sustainability of those trends, but my best guess is each program will at least hold serve relative to expectations next season. That means Texas and OU will compete for the Big 12 with one program winning it, and A&M will continue to show fight even in the face of replacing quite a bit of talent.

This cycle could prove to be a dot race, where the winner between the three isn't decided until the final push. Just like last year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

RB Seth McGowan (Mesquite Poteet): McGowan is hard to read but he's certainly high on OU and A&M. In the Rube Goldberg project that is running back recruiting, he's a big domino even if UT didn't pursue. A&M seems to make the most sense as he looks for a good mix of academics and opportunity. He might have been his school's valedictorian if athletics didn't interfere with his curriculum.

This was my favorite. Is he almost class valedictorian of a special needs high school? When I hear aggy and good academics for a football player, I assume it means the player isn't college material intellectually and aggy is a good place to play school. 

• Like 1

Just now, rickyspub said:

This was my favorite. Is he almost class valedictorian of a special needs high school? When I hear aggy and good academics for a football player, I assume it means the player isn't college material intellectually and aggy is a good place to play school.  

This is why everyone thought Stanford was the leader early on, but then he didn't have then in his first top list 

He really likes OU

14 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

This is why everyone thought Stanford was the leader early on, but then he didn't have then in his first top list 

He really likes OU

My view is that if he really likes OU, then he doesn't give one fuck about academics mattering for his future. It's just a shitty school producing shitty employees. 

• Like 1

'While those visitors lists have yet to take shape, it guarantees to be one of the most talked about days of the cycle. Much will be read into any common recruit attending one of the three glorified practices. Knees are sure to jerk as hands wring, spiking arthritis medicine sales in the process."

Eric must read Surley...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that if he really likes OU, then he doesn't give one fuck about academics mattering for his future. It's just a shitty school producing shitty employees. 

Right. He may be a great student and smart kid, but this will 100% be a football business decision 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This.  OU isn't even ranked anymore by US News as a national university.  It's a glorified juco football factory.

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

5* RB Demarkus Bowman, who was thought to have been a heavy Florida lean, just got Fong'd to Clemson

Clemson is one of the real contenders for Zach Evans 

Clemson grabbing a different 5 star would be nice. Like you said earlier, other schools (or even possibly Texas if one of the other 5 stars wants to commit) will likely self-select out of the Evans race by taking another highly ranked back.

7 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Are there normally this many 5 star running backs?  It just seems like there are more than normal with this cycle compared to previous years.

No, it's a loaded year, not just in Texas, but also regionally and nationally 

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Clemson grabbing a different 5 star would be nice. Like you said earlier, other schools (or even possibly Texas if one of the other 5 stars wants to commit) will likely self-select out of the Evans race by taking another highly ranked back.

Out of the guys we aren't in on, I think Bowman and Knighton are worth watching for Clemson. I'm hoping they fill up early, because they could pull Evans off if they don't. 

For Bama, I think Lee, Bigsby, and Tyree are worth watching. They already have a lesser rated RB already committed, and normally I'd think that they'd just trapdoor him for someone better, but he's an in-state kid, so that might be less likely 

For Georgia, Lloyd and Bigbsby are worth watching, although they've shown the ability to come out of nowhere for any of these kids, especially ones from Florida

For LSU, I'm hoping they just take one of the in-state kids in Clayton or Edwards

For A&M, no idea. McGowan is my best guess, but they're also in on Edwards from Louisiana, and maybe even someone like Sam Adams. Or maybe they'll take EJ Smith? I'm not worried about Zach Evans here

For OU, they're after all the same guys we are, except they're also in on McGowan, Tyree, and maybe Knighton who previously decommitted. I don't see Evans going there. 

To me, the biggest threats for Evans are Bama, Georgia, and LSU, and Clemson if they don't fill up, with A&M and OU hanging around the hoop, but being of lesser concern 

Of course, the kids we're in on like Milton, Bijan, and McClellan also could factor into this. Milton could go to any of OU, Bama, LSU, or Georgia, which would take them out of the Evans sweepstakes imo, Bijan could go to OU or Ohio State (I don't buy OSU and Evans), and if OU lands someone like Milton and McClellan decommits, aside from Texas likely being the favorite, it seems like he'd be wide open 

Running back musical chairs 2020, should be fun

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Out of the guys we aren't in on, I think Bowman and Knighton are worth watching for Clemson. I'm hoping they fill up early, because they could pull Evans off if they don't. 

For Bama, I think Lee, Bigsby, and Tyree are worth watching. They already have a lesser rated RB already committed, and normally I'd think that they'd just trapdoor him for someone better, but he's an in-state kid, so that might be less likely 

For Georgia, Lloyd and Bigbsby are worth watching, although they've shown the ability to come out of nowhere for any of these kids, especially ones from Florida

For LSU, I'm hoping they just take one of the in-state kids in Clayton or Edwards

For A&M, no idea. McGowan is my best guess, but they're also in on Edwards from Louisiana, and maybe even someone like Sam Adams. Or maybe they'll take EJ Smith? I'm not worried about Zach Evans here

For OU, they're after all the same guys we are, except they're also in on McGowan, Tyree, and maybe Knighton who previously decommitted. I don't see Evans going there. 

To me, the biggest threats for Evans are Bama, Georgia, and LSU, and Clemson if they don't fill up, with A&M and OU hanging around the hoop, but being of lesser concern 

Of course, the kids we're in on like Milton, Bijan, and McClellan also could factor into this. Milton could go to any of OU, Bama, LSU, or Georgia, which would take them out of the Evans sweepstakes imo, Bijan could go to OU or Ohio State (I don't buy OSU and Evans), and if OU lands someone like Milton and McClellan decommits, aside from Texas likely being the favorite, it seems like he'd be wide open 

Yeah, I find Bijan really intriguing.

This article’s a little old, but he seems like he’d be a USC favorite if not for them being a total dumpster fire (thanks,Lynn, for keeping Helton another year!). Apparently , he has family in LA, so that could be a factor for USC and UCLA. 

His comments about liking the PAC 12 becuase it’s close to home and not wanting to play somewhere cold sound good for us. If we’re limited to primarily fighting USC, UCLA, and OU for him then I feel pretty good about our chances if his visit goes well. 

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

This.  OU isn't even ranked anymore by US News as a national university.  It's a glorified juco football factory.

To be fair that's more because they lied about their data to USNWR. They'll go back to being around 120 out wherever they were before next year. But yeah Oklahoma isn't a good school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

This article’s a little old, but he seems like he’d be a USC favorite if not for them being a total dumpster fire (thanks,Lynn, for keeping Helton another year!). Apparently , he has family in LA, so that could be a factor for USC and UCLA. 

His comments about liking the PAC 12 becuase it’s close to home and not wanting to play somewhere cold sound good for us. If we’re limited to primarily fighting USC, UCLA, and OU for him then I feel pretty good about our chances if his visit goes well. 

His head coach and two assistants are visiting with him for our Spring Game. It'll be interesting to see if fireworks go off from one visit, like we saw with several out of state kids last cycle. I'd take him knowing that he might help with Ringo (not that we need much help there), and feeling comfortable with a bird in hand going after Evans/Milton, who to me are a cut above the rest. Then keep recruiting the RB2s in case you can't get a second RB1; Smith, Jordan, Marks, Brooks, etc. 

All things considered, Ohio State might have a shot there, although Ryan Day doesn't scare you in recruiting nationally, other than maybe with QBs and WRs. 

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

Clemson leads for that Ugelalei kid from Cali too right?  Him and Evans together would be unfair.  ou with McClellan and possibly Milton means they're out.  Aggy is a concern.

3 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Clemson leads for that Ugelalei kid from Cali too right?  Him and Evans together would be unfair.  ou with McClellan and possibly Milton means they're out.  Aggy is a concern. 

Clemson leads for like five 5*s right now, including Ukelele and Bresee 

OU is in a good spot for Milton, McGowan, Tyree, and Bijan, but I've heard that McClellan might look around if they land someone like Milton/Evans

I don't think Evans likes A&M that much, but things could always change 

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

And we've seen how quickly this can change, with the sweeteners they've been throwing around

Sure, but not hearing great reviews after this past visit makes me slightly less worried, at least compared to Bama, Georgia, and maybe LSU 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For a bonafide national 5 star recruitment though? If it's a pure bidding war, they're out of their league.

I think the Bamas and the Clemsons of the world know they don't have to outbid. They put in a competitive offer and the program otherwise sells itself. IThey know they're gonna get a stud and don't care which one. It's a batshit program like A&M  - a program that craves relevance more than anything, and who places significance on the optics a recruiting win over Texas over actual on the field wins - that would make him an offer he can't refuse. That's how they got Jimbo. They were bidding against themsleves. Beware the middling program who craves relevance more than anything else. 

• Like 6

Speaking if USC dumpster fires, did TrojanPrincess ever show back up after that shade about Bru she posted from her version of EJ?

I think the Bamas and the Clemsons of the world know they don't have to outbid. They put in a competitive offer and the program otherwise sells itself. IThey know they're gonna get a stud and don't care which one. It's a batshit program like A&M  - a program that craves relevance more than anything, and who places significance on the optics a recruiting win over Texas over actual on the field wins - that would make him an offer he can't refuse. That's how they got Jimbo. They were bidding against themsleves. Beware the middling program who craves relevance more than anything else. 

Pretty much describes Mississippi also.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Thanks for the info, went back and negged her.

Why? She was a fun poster to have on the site. I am disappointed she doesn't want to take her lumps on Bru, but she was generally pretty accurate on the USC side of things. She technically was right when Bru picked them first. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Why? She was a fun poster to have on the site. I am disappointed she doesn't want to take her lumps on Bru, but she was generally pretty accurate on the USC side of things. She technically was right when Bru picked them first. 

Lol. Not sure I agree with this statement. She was about as accurate as any far reaching home can be in regards to her takes. She also said the kids loved playing for Clay Helton, and would never transfer. She also said that he had that program under control, etc. So as far as her accuracy on the USC side of things, I don't know how to justify that with the complete dumpster fire and meltdown which pretty much had all of her takes and insights being wrong after the fact. She had some connections to the coaching staff and some other boosters, but at the end of the day I'm not sure what that's worth when no one over there had a fucking clue as to anything regarding that program, and by all accounts still do not.